Running

daDJ

By the way, what's the benefit of running? :goatee:

well, if you ask me there are over a thousand benefits of running...each of the thousand runners will answer that for you...but let me print for you this article of John Bingham for Runner's World entitled LEARNING TO RUN...it'll open your eyes into the benefits of running, and more...

http://www.runnersworld.com/images/cma/train2_groupbeach200.jpg

Knowledge and skill make some of us faster--but good running experiences can be had by all.

By John Bingham

In addition to writing this column, one of my greatest joys was teaching graduate courses in education. The fun for me came from assuming that most of the students probably knew more than I did about almost everything (easy to imagine) except the particular subject matter of the course. And if nothing got in their way--like grades and exams--a few of these students would actually become better educated.

Learning to run is not that much different than learning anything else. It comes down to three essentials: knowledge, skills, and experiences. Understanding the difference between them is the key to being a good teacher and, I think, a happy life-long runner.

Knowledge is, well, knowing. Knowing that Springfield is the capital of Illinois or that water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. The funny thing about knowledge is that you either know something, or you don't. There's no inherent hierarchy when it comes to knowledge. In a classroom of 30 students, everyone can know the same things.

I know a lot about running. I know about anaerobic thresholds and maximum oxygen uptake. The fact that I'm a slow runner has nothing to do with my running knowledge.

Skill is performing. It's hitting a ball or playing the piano. Unlike knowledge, skill is hierarchical. If you test 30 students on any skill, one will be best and one will be worst--and half will be below average.

It's no secret that my skill as a runner is below average. And the unfortunate statistical truth for runners in races is that half of the finishers are below average.

Experiences just are. And they are unique to each individual. In school, experiences were the field trips we used to take. Some were fun. Some were boring. There's no knowledge in an experience, although you might learn something. And there's no skill acquisition in an experience, although you might get better at something. An experience is usually good or bad, and then you let it go.

My running experiences have been overwhelmingly good. With my knowledge and limited skills, I still experience running as something I enjoy and want to encourage others to do. Since there's no hierarchy in experiences, I don't worry whether my experience is better or worse than anyone else's. It's possible at the end of a race to rank people based on the quantity of their skill that day, but not on the quality of their experience.

While I enjoy learning about running and working on my skills, what I really appreciate is the experience of running. In the end, it's up to each of us to define our own experiences. We can choose to have positive experiences with limited skills or we can have negative experiences even though we have better than average skills. We've all seen the 5-K runner who finishes in just over 17 minutes only to complain that he missed his goal by four seconds. But there's also the walker who finishes that 5-K in 40 minutes and has just had the best race of his life.

What I like to teach people is that enjoying these experiences--a foggy morning run across the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco or a brisk jog into the crisp winter wind along the lakefront in my hometown of Chicago--is something that anyone can learn how to do.

Waddle on, friends.

grabeh...very busy running sked for february...:cool:

i'll pass the jan 28 auto fun run...prepare instead for the Takbo Para Sa Kalikasan run which is one of the pet projects sponsored by our office...

one run a month is enough for me lest i risk injuries which could keep me out of the loop...you can't get any younger even if you DO run...

thanks daDj...hope to see you on the february runs...i mean, hope we get to meet then...:P

Bro, I will not be running in any of the races in February. I'm training for an international marathon which will be held overseas in March. I'll be back running in the local races mid-March, most likely the Adidas Manila leg.

The annual Pasig Marathon (previously known as Pasig River Heritage Marathon) is on Feb. 25. The categories are 3K, 5K, 10K and 42K. The full marathon will run from Fort Santiago in Intramuros to Fort Bonifacio Global City in Taguig. The 3k, 5K and 10K run will start and end in Fort Bonifacio.

The Pasig Marathon is the only Philippine running event that is both accredited by the US-based International Association of Athletic Federations (IAAF) and the Association of International Marathons and Road Races (AIMS). Because of this accreditation, international runners are expected to participate in the marathon.

The Pasig Marathon is organized by the Clean and Green Foundation, Inc. for the Pasig River Rehabilitation Commission (PRRC).

I haven't gotten the registration details yet. However when information gets in my way, I'll post them here so that our MTC runners will know.

Keep on running guys!

Edited by daDJ

The 31st Milo Marathon kicks off its 2007 running calendar on February 4 (in a few hours from now) in Batangas City. This year's Milo will only have 24 legs which means lesser running opportunity than last year's 30 (in commemoration of the 30th year of the Milo marathon in 2006). However, Milo is expecting more runners participating this year.

Other host cities are Puerto Princesa (February 11), Malolos, Bulacan, (February 18), Tarlac (February 25), General Santos City (June 24), Zamboanga (July 1), Davao City (July 8), Manila (July 22), Tagbilaran City (July 29), Tacloban (August 5), Cebu (August 12), Dumaguete City (August 19), Roxas City (August 26), Iloilo (September 2), Naga City (September 9), Legazpi City (September 16), San Pablo (September 23), Cagayan de Oro (September 30), Iligan (October 7), Butuan (October 14), Laoag (October 21), Tuguegarao (October 28) and Baguio (November 4).

The finals will be held in Manila in November or December.

You may contact Mr. Rudy Biscocho of RACE for the MILO Registration details at (02)-7279987. The RACE office is located at the ground floor of the Vazquez-Madrigal Bldg. in Annapolis, Greenhills.

RACE also handles registration of most Manila races like the Adidas KOTR, New Balance Power Race, Yakult 10-miler, etc.

If you are interested to run in an international race abroad, the Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon will be held on March 4. The race categories are: 10K, half and full marathon.

Registration for foreign runners will be on March 2-3 at Hotel Miramar in Nathan Road (from the MTR alight at Tsim Sha Tsui station). Registration fee is HK$ 300+. Runners will be given souvenir shirt, bag and other sponsor freebies. Those running in the half and full marathon will enjoy energy bars/drinks and bananas every 5K into the race.

By the way, the HK Marathon on March 4 is also sponsored by Standard Chartered bank. The Standard Chartered HK marathon, Singapore, Nairobi and Mumbai form part of the Greatest Race on Earth.

The first leg is the HK marathon, followed by Mumbai then Nairobi in Kenya, Africa and finally ending in Singapore on December 2, 2007. Runners may opt to only participate in one race. However, others may choose to run in all four races.

Here's a little survey:

What running shoes are you wearing?

this one...nike air pegasus + nikeplus

post-91934-1170916238.jpg

BTW, registered for the DZMM Run on Feb 18 @ Quirino Grandstand...10k for me, 5k for my son

am still thinking if am going to run the Feb 25 Philippine Marathon for the Rehab of Pasig River (for the 10k event)...too

close to the Feb 18 10k event...

Edited by koopahl
this one...nike air pegasus + nikeplus

post-91934-1170916238.jpg

BTW, registered for the DZMM Run on Feb 18 @ Quirino Grandstand...10k for me, 5k for my son

am still thinking if am going to run the Feb 25 Philippine Marathon for the Rehab of Pasig River (for the 10k event)...too

close to the Feb 18 10k event...

Mine's New Balance 901 and Mizuno Wave Precision 7.

gawd what a race! whew!

blew my race too early and faltered at the end...finished 57'10" way off my PB...again the culprits were those who hogged the lanes from the 5k group...had to weave the traffic until the finish line...

compared to the milo run which also covered the same route, i think i was not up to it...suffered migraine the night before...had the colds the morning...and the weather was humid and kinda warm...i can see a lot of 10k runners taking awfully hard steps...

next on line: the adidas kotr? (am skipping the pasig run, too close to last sunday's race...and hey, we old foggies gotta rest, too...:D)

how did you guys fare?

Edited by koopahl