Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

gooei,

It depends what you intend to capture. The play of light and shadow in that shot is actually very good. If you want to capture lets say a building at night and its not too well lit... try using a slower shutter speed.

and once again gooei, the camera doesnt matter. If you want to take great pictures, just keep shooting. If I were you, I'd invest in lenses or even a good rangefinder like the Bessa R2 which goes for around $500 bnew. You can use old Leica M mount lenses (these are hard to find but they are among the best)

When I got "serious" with photography I started with a Sony DSC-V3 point and shoot camera :)

Elaborate on what you mean by "professional" :) Thanks

professional yung tipong pang studio or yung gumagawa ng mga portfolio para sa mga models.... kahit ndi pang FHM or a few notch lower than that, baguhan lang kasi ako eh, tenks dud :D

the H1 is a great camera.

could you elaborate or post pics that show why its hard to adjust brightness? Most point and shoot cameras produce razor sharp images without the need for post production unlike some dslr cameras.

Here's an example...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Phrozhen_Khold/UK%20Trip/207387a8.jpg

This first shot was taken with the camera on automatic settings which I consider too bright...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Phrozhen_Khold/UK%20Trip/7816b57c.jpg

This was taken with manual settings and in my opinion looked almost exactly as I see it with my naked eye...

Aldrich,

Well, for starters, you should continue shooting with whatever you have. Try to learn the basics such as proper exposure and composition. In any field of photography, composition and exposure is key. With specialized fields such as studio photography, you will need to learn about lighting and maybe arrangement of your subjects. What you should try to do is get a female fried to pose for you in a park and shoot there, make sure you share your work online for criticism and dont forget there are lots of resources online for photography.

@phrozen,

Both shots are good technically. The best thing you can do to improve the shot is try to use a polarizing filter or a lens hood. Also, the sky looks quite a bit overcast, make sure your white balance settings are set to cloudy or shade. You can always post process your shots and edit the curves. Remember, this is digital photography and it gives us enough leway to tweak our shots to make it better. Just dont overdo it. Read about metering online and how light meters dont quite give you a what you see is what you get look. Also, for me to help you more, could you provide the settings you used for the manual shot? ty. :)

Here are shots from my DSC-V3 which I took with me to Europe last summer.

http://static.flickr.com/54/152451688_a0ec626be0.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/45/152450728_96cb83a878.jpg

Both were shot with manual exposure and correct white balance. ISO was set at 100 and 200 respectively with the aperture at f/8 and the shutter speed I think was somewhere in between 1/100 and 1/250s :) hth

Aldrich,

Well, for starters, you should continue shooting with whatever you have. Try to learn the basics such as proper exposure and composition. In any field of photography, composition and exposure is key. With specialized fields such as studio photography, you will need to learn about lighting and maybe arrangement of your subjects. What you should try to do is get a female fried to pose for you in a park and shoot there, make sure you share your work online for criticism and dont forget there are lots of resources online for photography.

know any book or aticles i can start with?? tenks dud, will do as u advise :cool:

Aldrich,

Im not too keen on books really. What I usually did while learning the basics was to shoot a certain scene with different settings and compare the images. I had a notebook with me while doing this. Also, try to upload the pictures onto a PC as soon as you possibly can so that you can view in detail the sharpness and tonal quality of the shot. As for articles, you should try the photography tutorials at http://www.good-tutorials.com. Dont rely on all of the tutorials there, nothing beats experimenting by yourself. Cheers.

Just checked the Exif data on the last shot. I noticed this was shot at ISO 64. Try bumping it up to at least 200. Im sure the H1, just like the V3 is capable of performing very good with iso 200. Your shutter speed was at 1/100 and your aperture was at f/4.0. First you'll have to identify what the focal point of the picture is and then pattern the settings around it. In this case, you wanted to show probably the landscape, so taking a few steps back and getting the aperture to f/8.0 would have given this a better field of view. If you wanted to capture the swans, then you need to get closer :)

Do trust me, the DSC-H1 is a great camera :)

Just checked the Exif data on the last shot. I noticed this was shot at ISO 64. Try bumping it up to at least 200. Im sure the H1, just like the V3 is capable of performing very good with iso 200. Your shutter speed was at 1/100 and your aperture was at f/4.0. First you'll have to identify what the focal point of the picture is and then pattern the settings around it. In this case, you wanted to show probably the landscape, so taking a few steps back and getting the aperture to f/8.0 would have given this a better field of view. If you wanted to capture the swans, then you need to get closer :)

Do trust me, the DSC-H1 is a great camera :)

How did you do that? I mean, how did you get the settings with just the pic I posted? http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Phrozhen_Khold/Emoticons/ro_emote_omg.gif

The perfect exposure is like a triangle, you have to have your aperture, shutter speed, and film speed aka ASA or ISO.

After taking these into consideration, determine how much of the scene you want in focus, set your aperture. Then set a shutter speed. Then ISO setting. You can set ISO to 100 or 200 and then test with shutter speeds next. Remember that when you change to a higher ISO, you can use faster shutter speeds while still having a well exposed image. ISO setting basically is the sensor's sensitivity to light.

http://www.good-tutorials.com < this will help you.

pnoize2k4, nice shot, how did u set up the background, i mean it looks so clean & bright, or did u do additional clean up in photoshop?

sorry for the delay. been busy with 2 magazine shoots including a styling job for maxim philippines.

anyway, the photo shoot for the clothes was held inside a small boutique, the original background was a white cloth that was laid on the floor. i also used two 110 watts studio strobes to light this. i shot using RAW file format to give me enough color space to play around with. on post process, i selected/copied and pasted the image on to a new file with a white background. finally, converting it to CMYK mode @ 300 dpi and saving it as .TIF.

Aldrich,

Im not too keen on books really. What I usually did while learning the basics was to shoot a certain scene with different settings and compare the images. I had a notebook with me while doing this. Also, try to upload the pictures onto a PC as soon as you possibly can so that you can view in detail the sharpness and tonal quality of the shot. As for articles, you should try the photography tutorials at http://www.good-tutorials.com. Dont rely on all of the tutorials there, nothing beats experimenting by yourself. Cheers.

tenks dud, ur the man :thumbsupsmiley:

Aldrich,

Thanks for the tip :)