Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

a prof i know said before, hirap makachamba ng ganyang setting na maganda, lalo na pag nature ang subject :) kwento nya when he was younger, nsa isang tribal area sya, may 2 british photogs dun, for 3 days shoot sya ng shoot, yung brits just hung around, pauwi na sya tsaka lang nagshoot.. later on he saw the guys in national geographic magazine & their pics from that day, turned out they weren't happy with the look of the sky & waited til it looked perfect for them.. made him feel so amature daw :)

Ansel Adams used to stay at a location and study how the sun and the shadows interact with the scenery on different times before he took the picture.

here is a sample of his work:

http://www.anseladams.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-AnselAdams-Site/Sites-AnselAdams/default/images/SEPs/SEP114Lg.jpg

Jeffrey Pine, Sentinel Dome by Ansel Adams

Ansel Adams used to stay at a location and study how the sun and the shadows interact with the scenery on different times before he took the picture.

here is a sample of his work:

http://www.anseladams.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-AnselAdams-Site/Sites-AnselAdams/default/images/SEPs/SEP114Lg.jpg

Jeffrey Pine, Sentinel Dome by Ansel Adams

magandang tanghali sa lahat!

wow ansel adams! sobrang galing!

Galing ng kuha nung ke Angela sir pnoize. Paano pala kayo nagmemeasure ng exposure sa portraits sir? Baka pwede ishare nyo settings nyo sir. :D

Btw, you mentioned Danao & Cebu in your previous posts mo sir. Sa Cebu ba imo studio sir?

this is a bit technical but here we go:

I use a gadget called a lightmeter.

in a studio setting, i usually set my iso to 100 since the studio flash will give me enough light. I then use a gadget called a lightmeter to get my f-stop or aperture on a shutter speed of 1/125, i usually get an f-stop measurement of somewhere between an 8 to 11.

in shooting studio portraits, you would want to get all the details and not really have a shallow depth of field, thus the f8 and above choice.

without the lightmeter and without practice, i'd have to take test shots to get the proper exposure which takes time. and in most cases, specially when shooting personalities, extra time is something they just don't have. this small gadget takes away the guessing game and definitely saves a lot of time.

-----------

yes, my studio is in Cebu. however, i shot this portait of Angela in one of the offices in abs-cbn Cebu.

Hi guys, was kinda busy these days. Anyway, finally got my semi-dSLR cam. Still trying to learn how to tweak it. So, here's one of the shots i took...kindly give any comment....lighting, composition, etc. thanks.

http://static.flickr.com/74/207636128_f36c45164f.jpg

anton: try moving back a bit. not only did you cut off the fountain but you've also cut the child's hand. if this was intended to be a portrait, you should get more of the child than the fountain. having him stand close to the fountain makes him smaller.

i do like how the light falls on the child's face, the triangular light below the child's eyes gives it a little drama. this is called rembrandt lighting as popularized by the painter Rembrandt van Rijn.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/98/Rembrandt_van_rijn-self_portrait.jpg/180px-Rembrandt_van_rijn-self_portrait.jpg

Self-Portrait by Rembrandt van Rijn

Ive already posted this in travel photos thread however I'll appreciate if sir pinoize2k4 could give some comments.

Definitely I'll monitor this thread. :)

Photo was taken in Southern Tip of Sri Lanka

nothing beats a well composed shot, and this is definitely one of them. it's one of those shots that you'd like hanging on your wall.

this pictures makes you asks questions and somehow tells a story as well.

personally, i would've liked this shot in b/w but that's a matter of personal taste. i hope you don't mind but i've taken the liberty of converting this to b/w and this is what i came up with.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9136/post166891154924708ou6.jpg

sir pnoize, thanks for the comment and suggestions... it's greatly appreciated.

I was actually just taking a shot of the fountain, then this kid came by and wanted to play with the water, unfortunately, his mom called him. Wanted to take a picture of him playing with the water so bad, so when he came into a halt...i just took the shot. so yah, you're right....it would've been better if i moved the frame a lil to the right.

also, i dint notice that triangular light below his eye...thanks for that info. rembrandt lighting....that's another technique i should remember. Big thanks sir pnoize :thumbsupsmiley:

nothing beats a well composed shot, and this is definitely one of them. it's one of those shots that you'd like hanging on your wall.

personally, i would've liked this shot in b/w but that's a matter of personal taste. i hope you don't mind but i've taken the liberty of converting this to b/w and this is what i came up with.

Thanks sir pnoize, coming from you, I must have done something pretty decent enough. I used the same photo as wallpaper for my notebook in sepia for a nostalgic effect.

Wish Icould learn more from you.

Thanks a lot!

Sir is it ok to use B & W for portraiture? I noticed that viewers tends to focus more in the photo's color if it is done in colour however if it is in B&W attentions are drawn more to the contours and the lights.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by NAZARETH
Sir is it ok to use B & W for portraiture? I noticed that viewers tends to focus more in the photo's color if it is done in colour however if it is in B&W attentions are drawn more to the contours and the lights.

Just my 2 cents.

you are right, b/w draws attention to light and contours of the image. it also brings out details that maybe be difficult to be seen in color. it also adds a little drama. it is definitely alright to do b/w portraiture.

this is a bit technical but here we go:

I use a gadget called a lightmeter.

in a studio setting, i usually set my iso to 100 since the studio flash will give me enough light. I then use a gadget called a lightmeter to get my f-stop or aperture on a shutter speed of 1/125, i usually get an f-stop measurement of somewhere between an 8 to 11.

in shooting studio portraits, you would want to get all the details and not really have a shallow depth of field, thus the f8 and above choice.

without the lightmeter and without practice, i'd have to take test shots to get the proper exposure which takes time. and in most cases, specially when shooting personalities, extra time is something they just don't have. this small gadget takes away the guessing game and definitely saves a lot of time.

-----------

yes, my studio is in Cebu. however, i shot this portait of Angela in one of the offices in abs-cbn Cebu.

Thanks a lot sir pnoize. I learn something new everytime i visit this thread. :thumbsupsmiley:

Ive already posted this in travel photos thread however I'll appreciate if sir pinoize2k4 could give some comments.

Definitely I'll monitor this thread. :)

Photo was taken in Southern Tip of Sri Lanka

Nicely done! :cool:

This protrait stimulates your mind, it unwittingly asks questions and runs scenes on what stories it can tell. Indeed, this speaks a thousand words.

Nazareth = wow, great subjects.. :) i like the colors of the 2nd photo

anton572 = wish u had shot the whole fountain, the place seem pretty nice for d background :) i like the idea of the kid playing with the water :) maybe u should have put some candies near the fountain to lure the kid hehehehe

Nazareth = wow, great subjects.. :) i like the colors of the 2nd photo

anton572 = wish u had shot the whole fountain, the place seem pretty nice for d background :) i like the idea of the kid playing with the water :) maybe u should have put some candies near the fountain to lure the kid hehehehe