Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

That's very impressive! I like the finish and the weathering, really excellent. I especially like the detailing done on the instrument panel. Is that the Revell 1/48 kit?

Nope its the Tamiya 32nd scale F-15C. Pretty old but still nice out of the box.

That's very impressive! I like the finish and the weathering, really excellent. I especially like the detailing done on the instrument panel. Is that the Revell 1/48 kit?

Nope its the Tamiya 32nd scale F-15C. Pretty old but still nice out of the box.

Nice! I thought for sure the cockpit was aftermarket.

How does a groupbuild go? Will each participant bring his own kit and make it at the same place and time, or will everyone collaborate on just one project?

I think we collaborate on one project, like a diorama or a complex kit. But maybe it's also about bringing one's kit so it turns out like a show and tell. Maybe.

How does a groupbuild go? Will each participant bring his own kit and make it at the same place and time, or will everyone collaborate on just one project?

A groupbuild is different depending on what you are building. For instance, if you are doing a diorama, then people groupbuild on parts of it and then assemble it later (sometimes as a group also). This groupbuild is normally planned and activities are done similar to a production line or a construction project.

If you are groupbuilding individual projects, the whole purpose is to share resources. People who are part the groupbuild share paints, tools, glue, airbrushes and more importantly, their knowledge on the subject being built. Let's face it, modelers (no matter how good they are) are not omniscient. A typical modeler can build many types of models but can build only one or two particular types very well.

Take me for instance. I can build most types of models from aircraft to armor to cars but I can build ships better because I have a larger body of knowledge on the subject matter. Someone in the group may in turn be better than me in building ships. Sometimes, the skill set I have is not the same as his so when we exchange information, we become better at it in the end.

Some people are very knowledgeable in building and finishing cars. Very few have this particular skill. I admit that I do not have that skill.

Through group building, modelers can share techniques and test them on their kits so that at the end of the build they become a little better at their craft.

Jun

Groupbuilds? I always thought of modeling as a hobby best done when you are alone. Besides, my idea is that if I am in a group, the primary activity is socialization, anything else is secondary (except when young pretty things are part of the group). But hey, I'm open to the idea of trying at least everything once.

Well maybe it would be much better to look past the politics and the rivalries. Honestly, I have no intention of joining any competition but I immensely enjoy looking at other people's work so I can try it out myself. I would probably enjoy talking shop over coffee or dinner with a few friends rather than doing club activities. Thanks for the insights, I'll probably just wait and see first since I really don't have that much free time. When I retire that will be a different matter altogether. May the force be with you.

Doc,

The choice is really up to you. I have not been a member of any club till I turned thirty-something so there is really no rush. I agree that in the final analysis, a modeler really does not need to be a member of any club. You can spend blissful hours building your kits and being happy with them. That's what is really important isn't it?

Club memberships are for people who wish to grow in the hobby at a faster rate through the sharing of the combined body of knowledge of the club members. Being in a hobby club is all about becoming a better modeler by benchmarking your skills against the members of you club (through internal competitions) or against other modelers when you join open competitions. Club membership normally provides you with a venue to achieve this. The coffee and dinner from time to me are just perks to sweeten the pot so to speak.

Just let me know if you need any information regarding models and/or modeling. I'll be more than happy to assist you in whatever way I can.

Best Regards,

Jun

Doc,

The choice is really up to you. I have not been a member of any club till I turned thirty-something so there is really no rush. I agree that in the final analysis, a modeler really does not need to be a member of any club. You can spend blissful hours building your kits and being happy with them. That's what is really important isn't it?

Club memberships are for people who wish to grow in the hobby at a faster rate through the sharing of the combined body of knowledge of the club members. Being in a hobby club is all about becoming a better modeler by benchmarking your skills against the members of you club (through internal competitions) or against other modelers when you join open competitions. Club membership normally provides you with a venue to achieve this. The coffee and dinner from time to me are just perks to sweeten the pot so to speak.

Just let me know if you need any information regarding models and/or modeling. I'll be more than happy to assist you in whatever way I can.

Best Regards,

Jun

A groupbuild is a very amorphous concept. It can be as structured as a group trying to really complete a complex project like a diorama or it can be as informal and laid back as a bunch of modelers "pretending" to build but really just having snacks and talking about the newest models and newest "1:1" scale models. It's what you make it, really.

A groupbuild is different depending on what you are building. For instance, if you are doing a diorama, then people groupbuild on parts of it and then assemble it later (sometimes as a group also). This groupbuild is normally planned and activities are done similar to a production line or a construction project.

If you are groupbuilding individual projects, the whole purpose is to share resources. People who are part the groupbuild share paints, tools, glue, airbrushes and more importantly, their knowledge on the subject being built. Let's face it, modelers (no matter how good they are) are not omniscient. A typical modeler can build many types of models but can build only one or two particular types very well.

Take me for instance. I can build most types of models from aircraft to armor to cars but I can build ships better because I have a larger body of knowledge on the subject matter. Someone in the group may in turn be better than me in building ships. Sometimes, the skill set I have is not the same as his so when we exchange information, we become better at it in the end.

Some people are very knowledgeable in building and finishing cars. Very few have this particular skill. I admit that I do not have that skill.

Through group building, modelers can share techniques and test them on their kits so that at the end of the build they become a little better at their craft.

Jun

Hmmmm if that's the case I think I can only participate in the initial stages of the group build. My expertise is buying and collecting kits and not much else.

Doc,

Best Regards,

Jun

You're right, there is probably no rush. I think when I reach compulsary retirement I will need a club to join so I have something to do. As of now, I just keep looking at the net and magazines to keep up to date on the latest modeling trends. Am I happy? Yes, at least for now. Could I be happier? Maybe, but I don't have that much cash (joke). Thank you for your offer about helping me regarding models/modeling, I need lots of that. Would you know the secret to masking the canopy of a 1/72 Bf-109?

A groupbuild is a very amorphous concept. It can be as structured as a group trying to really complete a complex project like a diorama or it can be as informal and laid back as a bunch of modelers "pretending" to build but really just having snacks and talking about the newest models and newest "1:1" scale models. It's what you make it, really.

One thing I didn't quite expect was to find so many modelers here in MTC. I don't exactly announce to the whole world that I build models occasionally, it's only something I bring up in case the person I'm talking to is in the same or in a similar hobby. Thank you gentlemen for sharing your thoughts here. I wonder where Herr Boelcke is, he's probably busy on the other threads again, in much the same way that you will usually find my posts in the Massage Parlor thread, my other stress buster activity.

One thing I didn't quite expect was to find so many modelers here in MTC. I don't exactly announce to the whole world that I build models occasionally, it's only something I bring up in case the person I'm talking to is in the same or in a similar hobby. Thank you gentlemen for sharing your thoughts here. I wonder where Herr Boelcke is, he's probably busy on the other threads again, in much the same way that you will usually find my posts in the Massage Parlor thread, my other stress buster activity.

Sir, I hate to admit it but.... karamihan ng mga Modeler ay tagong manyak! :thumbsupsmiley: Cheers!

Sir, I hate to admit it but.... karamihan ng mga Modeler ay tagong manyak! :thumbsupsmiley: Cheers!

Hahahaha!

This reminds me of the movie 40 days and 40 nights. It's about a guy who, after a breakup, decides that he will abstain from sex during Lent, hence the title. He resorted to building scale model cars to get his mind off sex. He was building with shaky hands. hahaha

Hahahaha!

This reminds me of the movie 40 days and 40 nights. It's about a guy who, after a breakup, decides that he will abstain from sex during Lent, hence the title. He resorted to building scale model cars to get his mind off sex. He was building with shaky hands. hahaha

I haven't seen this movie yet, I think I'll go get a deebeedee later. Does sex include self-flagellation?[

Hahahaha!

Hey! I RESEMBLE that remark... :rolleyes:

The monicker "Home of the Best Modelers in the Philippines" seems a little too boastful for my taste. I honestly believe that if you must put a statement out, then you must have something to back it up.

Jun

And you dont think we do?

Wow.

Funny meeting you here, Jun. And funny seeing you still strutting the same old thing. We had more than 700 entries in our last Nationals. We got major model manufacturers backing up our shows. You dont think we can back that up?

Tell you what. Check out the entire thread and you wont see any derogatory remark on IPMS Manila coming from me. So why dont you just cool it with your homily, and if you want to discuss models per se leave it at that. Dont bring that garbage here.

Allan A.

Yeah. Its me.

You're right, there is probably no rush. I think when I reach compulsary retirement I will need a club to join so I have something to do. As of now, I just keep looking at the net and magazines to keep up to date on the latest modeling trends. Am I happy? Yes, at least for now. Could I be happier? Maybe, but I don't have that much cash (joke). Thank you for your offer about helping me regarding models/modeling, I need lots of that. Would you know the secret to masking the canopy of a 1/72 Bf-109?

Doc,

there's no real "secret" to it. Just like any canopy masking project you need two things; a good brand of masking tape (like 3M's Tartan or if you have the spare cash, Tamiya masking tape) and A LOT OF PATIENCE). The photo is a 1/48 109 done by Bret Green. Note the way it was masked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/smvillalon/bf109e132bg_42.jpg

Note that he covered the glass portions only and used a single mask on each. This is a little more complicated if yours is a 1/72. What I do is I cut small triangular strips of tape (about the size of the smaller portions of the canopy the angle is up to you but I normally use about a 30-degree one. Now here's the fun part. Start applying the tape one on top of each other using the tip of the triangle tape to mask the edges and build around it by putting more and more tape. You will end up with a bunch of triangle-shaped tapes on top of one another but covering practically the whole glass areas. It does not look good but it will provide a good mask. Just be careful when applying and make sure that the pointed ends of the triangle mask adhere well to the surface of the canopy. Otherwise you'll get seepage and you'll ruin the job.

Masking takes a little practice but I believe that the most important thing a modeler must watch out for in masking whether they be canopies, racing stripes, decal markings,roundels, etc. are the crispness and adhesion of the mating surface edges. The slightest seepage will be disastrous.

I normally use an old burnishing tool I bought at a local craft shop (it was intended to be used for sticker and scrap-booking and other similar crafts) and lightly burnish the edges to ensure no leaks. Oh and once you know the paint has more or less set (about an hour for most paints), remove the mask immediately. Never leave the masking tape for long periods of time or you may have trouble removing the tape because the adhesive has set onto the model's surface.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Jun

Sir, you do have to take into consideration that IPMS BAC is "the home of the best modelers in the Philippines".

If someone claims to be the best, chances are they are only looking for the best.

So if you are just a happy-go-lucky modeler like me, then you may not be what they are looking for.

Anyhow our doors are open 24/7 as long as you aren't an axe murderer! hehehehe

Take care mate and happy modeling!

And youre all experts on what IPMS-Bert Anido is looking for?

Damn it, thats what I mean about bringing garbage into this thread. People say stuff like that and then play coy like they didnt mean anything about it.

Please, dont assume people here have a limited IQ.

Doc,

Just got back from Singapore. Next week Ill post pictures of hobby shops there. Just let me wipe the drool off first.

:D

Hi Herr Boelcke, I'm afraid I'm the one responsible for dredging up that old issue. The opinions stated here are entirely my own, and as I have said, I have friends in both camps. Sorry about that.

On another note, I would love to see what kind of hobby stuff you were able to get in the Lion City. And I hope the pictures you post will have some girls in them. I will probably fly to Malaysia later this year and I'll ask some of the Malaysian based modelers which places to hit.

Doc,

there's no real "secret" to it. Just like any canopy masking project you need two things; a good brand of masking tape (like 3M's Tartan or if you have the spare cash, Tamiya masking tape) and A LOT OF PATIENCE). The photo is a 1/48 109 done by Bret Green. Note the way it was masked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/smvillalon/bf109e132bg_42.jpg

Note that he covered the glass portions only and used a single mask on each. This is a little more complicated if yours is a 1/72. What I do is I cut small triangular strips of tape (about the size of the smaller portions of the canopy the angle is up to you but I normally use about a 30-degree one. Now here's the fun part. Start applying the tape one on top of each other using the tip of the triangle tape to mask the edges and build around it by putting more and more tape. You will end up with a bunch of triangle-shaped tapes on top of one another but covering practically the whole glass areas. It does not look good but it will provide a good mask. Just be careful when applying and make sure that the pointed ends of the triangle mask adhere well to the surface of the canopy. Otherwise you'll get seepage and you'll ruin the job.

Masking takes a little practice but I believe that the most important thing a modeler must watch out for in masking whether they be canopies, racing stripes, decal markings,roundels, etc. are the crispness and adhesion of the mating surface edges. The slightest seepage will be disastrous.

I normally use an old burnishing tool I bought at a local craft shop (it was intended to be used for sticker and scrap-booking and other similar crafts) and lightly burnish the edges to ensure no leaks. Oh and once you know the paint has more or less set (about an hour for most paints), remove the mask immediately. Never leave the masking tape for long periods of time or you may have trouble removing the tape because the adhesive has set onto the model's surface.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Jun

That helps a lot, thanks! Actually the small triangular masking tape technique was the one Dave Gibson recommended to me, but I gave up after I botched it. I will go back to my Bf-109 and sweat out the masking. I have to call on the force to give me the patience of a Jedi Master.

Another question, if it's all right with you? I'm doing the interior of an Academy Bradley, and from my reference photos, the base of the turret where it connects to the floor is shiny metal. I think I want to do this via aluminum foil (since this is an interior that will only be seen through the hatches, I don't want to use BMF on this) but I don't know what adhesive to use. Micro Mark has foil adhesive but of course, I can't get hold of it. Would using rugby be OK? My thoughts are that I might not be able to spread the rugby evenly so it might have to be thinned down. Would you know what I can thin rugby with? TIA!

Hi Herr Boelcke, I'm afraid I'm the one responsible for dredging up that old issue. The opinions stated here are entirely my own, and as I have said, I have friends in both camps. Sorry about that.

On another note, I would love to see what kind of hobby stuff you were able to get in the Lion City. And I hope the pictures you post will have some girls in them. I will probably fly to Malaysia later this year and I'll ask some of the Malaysian based modelers which places to hit.

No worries, Doc. What happened in the past cant be changed. But it doesnt help if some people dwell on it.

Theres a good chance these people will post a reply to my post and that would in turn spark a never ending debate in this thread. But Im not falling for it.

I dont know about you guys, but Ive gotten tired of repeating the same old debate we had back in the days. At this point its all just bringing out dirty linen. Makes us all look bad.

Its been 5, 6 years? Lets all get over that.

ey doc? places to hit? for 1:1 models or model kits? :upside:

Edited by bugoy2004