Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

Doc,

I still remember matchbox kits in tri-color sprues for P30-P50 only! hahaha

Nowadays, I'll spend 1K to 5K on a kit that I REALLY like. There are some that are in the range of 12K up, but I can't afford that anymore.

How much to spend on a kit really depends on what you are interested in, and how far you'd like to detail it. If I were to start again from scratch today, I guess I'd spend:

Model kit: P150 to P1000 (simple but nice kits first)

Spray Paint cans: about P100 to P200 per can * usually 3 or 4 colors (depending on the subject)

Paint bottles: about P75/bottle * 4 (for detailing)

Paint Thinner: about P300

Small Brush (00 or 000): P100.

It gets cheaper as you go along since you'll accumulate the paint colors. The spray cans get pretty much used up per kit, so if you're really into this hobby, it would be better to get an air brush (costs from 5,000 to 20,000 including the compressor).

Pride of displaying your creation: PRICELESS

During the 70s I had neighbors who often went to Japan or Guam or had access to the PX in Subic and Clark. So it was the Tamiya kits that I got hooked into and never really saw a Matchbox kit. I also remember using Duco Cement and loved the smell of it. Of course, my thinking then was the more cement, the better. Besides I really loved the smell of Duco, and maybe that's why I really loved building the kits.

I now use Painter's Touch commercial spray cans for priming and for the base coat (the have flat camo colors). I used to buy them for P130 but I've seen them selling now for about P160. For me it comes out much cheaper than buying the hobby sprays like Tamiya or Gunze. They also used to have clear flats but I don't see them anymore.

The most I've spent for a kit is about P6K but I really really wanted to have it and now it sits on a shelf gathering dust.

Edited by Dr_PepPeR
Meron po kayo display cabinet sa bahay or nakapatong lang sa mesa?

My completed model kits, which are actually about 1% of my unbuilt kits, are kept in a glass cabinet. If you leave it outside, it acts like a dust magnet. What is worse is your domestic helper/wife/mother/children will actually try to clean it and knock off all the delicate parts in the process.

Welcome to our somewhat esoteric hobby. Most people think of it as 'toys' so I don't exactly broadcast what my hobby is. You can actually brush paint camo, especially if the camo is hard-edged or has well defined lines. Whether you use enamels or acrylics, you may have to use thinners to make the paint consistency smooth enough so that it will lay down properly yet has enough color so that the plastic will be covered. I think you may have to consult some armor dedicated websites for more info on painting and weathering. Try finescale.com, missing-lynx.com, armorama.com, pmms.com and others you may want to google. As to kits, I suggest you try your hand on the simpler and inexpensive kits like the old Tamiya and Academy kits before tackling something that has photo-etch and individual track links. Good luck and happy building!

Doc,

I still remember matchbox kits in tri-color sprues for P30-P50 only! hahaha

Nowadays, I'll spend 1K to 5K on a kit that I REALLY like. There are some that are in the range of 12K up, but I can't afford that anymore.

How much to spend on a kit really depends on what you are interested in, and how far you'd like to detail it. If I were to start again from scratch today, I guess I'd spend:

Model kit: P150 to P1000 (simple but nice kits first)

Spray Paint cans: about P100 to P200 per can * usually 3 or 4 colors (depending on the subject)

Paint bottles: about P75/bottle * 4 (for detailing)

Paint Thinner: about P300

Small Brush (00 or 000): P100.

It gets cheaper as you go along since you'll accumulate the paint colors. The spray cans get pretty much used up per kit, so if you're really into this hobby, it would be better to get an air brush (costs from 5,000 to 20,000 including the compressor).

Pride of displaying your creation: PRICELESS

Hey FD, just text me if you're in the Harrison Plaza area, will unload you of you unused paints if it's convenient for you.

Nice meeting you sir FD and thanks for bringing all the stuff!

Hi Doc,

It was great to meet you finally! Will work on the low-cost paint booth we discussed this summer. Looks like that will be completed ahead of the model I'm working on now. hehehe

If you need any more wire, just let me know.

BTW, I passed by JMN, and was able to get the same kit my son "crash landed". At least I'll get to replace it.

Hi Doc,

It was great to meet you finally! Will work on the low-cost paint booth we discussed this summer. Looks like that will be completed ahead of the model I'm working on now. hehehe

If you need any more wire, just let me know.

BTW, I passed by JMN, and was able to get the same kit my son "crash landed". At least I'll get to replace it.

More wire hmmmm.. Depends on how the scratchbuilt seat belts will look like when I tackle it. I haven't done Sci-Fi kits yet although I really would like to build the Fine Molds Star Wars kits. I saw the Milleneum Falcon at Winston's shop last year but it was way too expensive. I'll shoot some pics of my hobby area this weekend, it's coming along nicely. Have a great weekend sir!

Some pics of my 1/72 DML Challenger 2.

Finished the tank last month. I used aluminum foil for the camo netting, change the grab handles and the side skirts.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/Xtida/xP2080286.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/Xtida/xP2080298.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/Xtida/xP2080281.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/Xtida/xP2080282.jpg

Comments most welcome.

:)

Thanks Doc and Dyno!

Ill fire up the airbrush for them models of yours.

:D

For Master Dyno's models I'd rather use my fingers and/or hands.

Herr Boelcke,

Fantastic details on the tank! And that's 1/72?!?!? You must have steve austin's bionic eye!

And the machine from "Honey I Shrunk the Kids!".

can i join your group? i had already built a Bismarck Battleship 1/350... but the sad part is i only use spray paint cans, because i seldom build, i didnt buy a spray painter, so its lacks of details... i also tried RX-8 from racing star.. the problem that i got it had some bubbles on the edges... well next month im planning to build a RX-8 veil side or Yamato battleship.

is its ok to paint some parts first before i assembled it? and how can i avoid smudges? is there a technique to paint just the bottom of the hole?

Thanks...

Rasc,

Welcome aboard! Always great seeing a fellow modeler.

Many modelers in fact paint the model before removing the parts from the sprue. As a matter of fact, some model manufacturers recommend this. For old hands, though, there is a danger in that technique as paint may chip when you remove the part from the sprue.

Bubbles result from spraying too close to the model (such that the paint accumulates and ripples) or from not having shaken the can well, or both. Try practising spraying only in misting fashion, allowing the coats to dry in between.

can i join your group? i had already built a Bismarck Battleship 1/350... but the sad part is i only use spray paint cans, because i seldom build, i didnt buy a spray painter, so its lacks of details... i also tried RX-8 from racing star.. the problem that i got it had some bubbles on the edges... well next month im planning to build a RX-8 veil side or Yamato battleship.

is its ok to paint some parts first before i assembled it? and how can i avoid smudges? is there a technique to paint just the bottom of the hole?

Thanks...

You can paint the lower half of the hull with a spray can by using masking tape. Tape the portion where you don't want the paint to go, spray evenly and after it dries for about 15mins., just peel off the masking tape.