Motoring For Dummies - All Your Car & Driving Questions Answered H

Guys & Gals,

Have some questions: 

1.  Would you consider repairing your own car?  or mas comfortable kayo dalhin sa talyer ang auto nyo?

2.  Hanggang saan ang kaya ninyo?

a.  Flat tire

b.  Kahit anong under the hood

c.  Maglagay lang ng tubig sa radiator

3.  naniniwala ba kayo dun sa mga nabibiling mga octane booster, whatever fix-it or pang improve sa auto?

1. yes i would. ive been repairing minor problems ever since i got my 1st car

2. hmm... cguro wag lang engine overhaul

a. simple lang to

b. radiator cleaning, carbureator cleaning, brake lining bleeding, clutch bleeding, power steering, aircon cleaning, etc.

3. i actually use one.. its called CH3COCH3 or in layman's terms.. acetone..

read this link na lang..

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

oh and btw.. ive been using this for around 3 years na

so far wala naman problema sa mga auto na nahawakan ko, my latest is a 1.3 corrolla running at 1:18 (city driving) 1:24 (long distance)

Guys & Gals,

Have some questions: 

1.  Would you consider repairing your own car?  or mas comfortable kayo dalhin sa talyer ang auto nyo?

i fix my own car, kung mabigat ang trabaho, i bring it to professionals, pero bantay sarado sila  :D

2.  Hanggang saan ang kaya ninyo?

anything, wag lang body repair & paint  :)

3.  naniniwala ba kayo dun sa mga nabibiling mga octane booster, whatever fix-it or pang improve sa auto?

the well known brands do actually work, but why do you need them?

eow..nid some advice..bihira lang kasi kami gumala..so yung car namin eh minsan nasa garage lang and umaabot siya a week na andun lang..so ang ginagwa namin eh inistart kow lng siya for atleast 5mins..without moving it out sa garage atleast once a week..is it safe ba ito na start lang sya without moving the car and ok lang din ba sya na di magamit ng matagal..let say for atleast 2 weeks staright na di gamitin..pls help....

Ok naman yung ginagawa mo na 5 mins. mong papaandarin.

Basta dapat hanggang uminit yung engine.

This would benefit your engine. :)

Pero masama naman sa tires yung hindi napapaandar yung kotse.

I suggest that you drive it kahit around your area lang. A 5 minute drive will do. :)

Practice driving first sa subdivision niyo. Pag kayang kaya mo na sa subdivision niyo, try mo naman sa labas ng subdivision niyo, then EDSA. :)

Pointers:

* Never ever tailgate sa PUV's. Mga siraulo yan. Kung saan saan sila humihinto. Sometimes, di pa talaga itatabi ng maayos bago magbaba ng passengers.

* Never overtake on a blind curve. Blind curve yung curve na hindi mo nakikita kung may parating na vehicle or wala.

* Full stop pagdating ng intersection. Look left and right bago lumiko.

* Don't use your high beam at all times. If necessary lang. Para hindi masilaw yung mga pasalubong na sasakyan.

* Before overtaking a slow vehicle, businahan or flash-an mo muna ng ilaw para at least aware siya na oovertake ka.

* Never showoff kung hindi mo naman pala talaga kaya. Maraming nadidisgrasya dahil sa ganyang ugali. :)

HTH! :)

Brake before the turn, not during...

Slow in, Fast out...in a turn slow down, enter the turn, and accelerate on exit

Your right and left hands should never pass 12oclock respectively, once past, move hand location to 12 and 6 again.

Never let go of the wheel, even after a turn, guide the wheel back again.

When turning left, push your right hand, do not pull on your left hand and vice versa...

as long as you're a newbie and driving an automatic, i would also suggest learning how to brake with the left foot. it will seem odd at first, so practice left foot braking in a closed/private area.

left foot braking allows you to react to breaking situations a lot sooner since no time is wasted taking your right foot off the gas and on to the brakes.

when i drive, even on the freeways (whether manual or automatic) my left foot is always resting just ever so slightly above the break pedal, ready to react at a moment's notice.

Brake before the turn, not during...

Slow in, Fast out...in a turn slow down, enter the turn, and accelerate on exit

Your right and left hands should never pass 12oclock respectively, once past, move hand location to 12 and 6 again.

Never let go of the wheel, even after a turn, guide the wheel back again.

When turning left, push your right hand, do not pull on your left hand and vice versa...

right! :cool: steering should be done in one smooth motion. i've seen a lot of people, my mother namely, who'd turn the wheel inch by inch.. like she's pulling rope or something. i'd scream at her every time she does that :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I fix my cars up to an extent only.

1. Oil change

2. spark plugs and timing

3. carburator cleaning (using a carburator spray)

4. Battery change

5. Draining and changing of coolants on radiators

More complex task are left to my mechanic who has a talent and ear to fix up any problems i encounter. He used to be my mechanic when i still fancy drag racing and having some fun circuit racing with friends at subic.

• 3 weeks later...
eow..nid some advice..bihira lang kasi kami gumala..so yung car namin eh minsan nasa garage lang and umaabot siya a week na andun lang..so ang ginagwa namin eh inistart kow lng siya for atleast 5mins..without moving it out sa garage atleast once a week..is it safe ba ito na start lang sya without moving the car and ok lang din ba sya na di magamit ng matagal..let say for atleast 2 weeks staright na di gamitin..pls help....

Sounds fine to me. But since you're not gonna use it for couple of weeks, i suggest you disconnect the battery. And make sure that you had top up your gasoline, soz typically if cars sits for a while, it may had a tendency to produce rust in upper portion of your gas tank.

Just wanting to Share.

I had performed an OIL Change recently to my car.

Recently, while my hubby is away for some business engagement abroad, going back here, my car is exhibiting so much smoke and was over-due for change oil. The thing about this, is way before, my husband has been telling me and teaching me of this process. Not to mention that on several occasions, I have watched him do the process. Nowhere to look up to, I decided to try it out myself and be up to the challenge.

Here's how it goes.

First is, I had to figure out how to remove the oil cover of the oil filter as I need to replace it with a new one. After quite a while of mental analysis and mind simulation, I was able to take it out and put a new oil filter. This one seems to be easy, as others may call it, it’s a walk in the park.

Now goes the second step, having all the tools needed, I decided to remove the oil drain plug of the oil pan. This is not an easy task, as I need to be underneath the hood of the car and make sure that I won't get oil spill the moment I took the plug out. Of course you need to put a container that will hold the oil right after it comes out of the oil pan. In my case I placed a plangana underneath the oil pan. After couple of minutes reaching and giving so much force to unscrew the said drain plug, finally, it takes the toll. It was long and tedious process removing the oil-drain plug and good thing I had our old but reliable wrench for that matter. As the oil drops slowly because of its viscosity, the container continues to holds and gets all the ‘black dirty liquid’ that comes out of the pan. After several minutes waiting and draining to get all the oil from the pan, its time to put back the plug. The process is pretty much the same, this time the direction of the wrench is going clockwise to engage the drain-plug and tighten it on the oil pan.

The next step was pretty much easy. This is just about topping new oil to the engine. As I carefully remove the oil cover, I poured around 5 to 5.5 liters of oil while continuously checking the oil level in the dipstick to make sure it won't reach the maximum.

Then you’ll be all setup.

Happy Safe Motoring!

yup I do my own maintenance as well as overhauling, mahirap lang talaga pag kulang sa gamit but since I do restoration work for my cars I made it a point to start investing in equipment. For most people I suggest that you find a shop or mechanic you would are confortable bringing your vehicle to. Deal with them well and they will treat your car well, dami kasi mahilig mangbarat, remember the old adage: "you get what you pay for!"

where in QC? you can try alex car restoration in San Francisco del Monte. they're good, award winners in fact. just a bit pricey

Bro, sa tingin mo kasing mahal sya ng pagawa sa casa mismo o hindi naman. Brought my wife's damaged City to Honda kasi and was assessed a cost of 33K. I think that is over the top. Was hoping to look for a shop that could offer the same quality repair job at a fraction of the cost. Ngayon kung mas mababa ang presyo dun sa Alex kisa sa casa then I'm inclined to give it a try.

Bro, sa tingin mo kasing mahal sya ng pagawa sa casa mismo o hindi naman. Brought my wife's damaged City to Honda kasi and was assessed a cost of 33K. I think that is over the top. Was hoping to look for a shop that could offer the same quality repair job at a fraction of the cost. Ngayon kung mas mababa ang presyo dun sa Alex kisa sa casa then I'm inclined to give it a try.

what kinda damage? dealers always overcharge anyway, so i already think that is too much hehe

give 'em (Alex) a call, they're listed. you can't give out numbers in this forum kasi :lol:

BUMP!

Repeat: Can anyone recommend a repair shop in Q.C. that does good body repairs?

I know this was answered before....nevertheless, one might wanna try Bonifacio Motor Works near the corner of EDSA and P. Tuazon (at the back of that unfinished white condominium). This is a 5-Star automotive shop kaya medjo mahal yung singil nila pero quality talaga. Parang hindi na-involve yung car mo sa isang vehicular accident.

One can also try either of the Branches of Allen C. Isidro automotive restoration shops:

1. Quezon Avenue fronting Sto. Domingo Church;

2. E. Rodriguez Sr Avenue (between Judge Jimenez and Egea Sts.) Left side if you are going to cubao.

while Allen C. Isidro no longer owns both shops, the new owners have kept all of his previous staff/workers and vows to carry on the legacy that is superbly known as ACIsidro....

1. If your radiator (the plastic top) has cracked.....you have several options:

a. Purchase a brand new radiator.....yeah evercool is good....also at a good price P5K

b. Have it repaired/replaced with a copper top. Hihinangin nila yun para sure sealed and without leaks. Cost between P1,300 - 1,800 depends on size of your radiator. Usually pati, kasama na cleaning nung radiator.

A good place to have it fixed ay dun sa stretch ng Kamias. Tabi tabi yan. I've tried na kay Bong Baron Car Aircon, Radiator & muffler shop. Makakatawad ka pa.

c. Purchase a 2nd hand radiator.....but then of course, you wouldn't know kung ano naging sira nun kaya napalitan ng original owner. :unsure:

eow..tanong kow lang po about sa radiator..eh advisable ba na tubig lang ang ilagay sa radiator reserve tank or kailangan talaga ng coolant..kasi yung reserve tank ng radiator eh medyo mababa na...hmmm...can you all please help me naman what to do...what i mean is pwde ba tubig nalang or kailangan na may coolant na ilagay..what type of coolant ba...different models ba needs different coolant...what if di ko alam kung what brand yung nilagay nila before...pwede ko ba haluan ito ng ibang brand....saka tuwing kailan dapat ipalinis yung radiator nio...? sorry for my ignorance...pls do help...give me some advise and tips on maintaining my radiator...im using honda city model 2000..type z..lxi..thnks..

2. About the coolant, it is safe to just fill in the reservoir clear plain water. Kung type mo, pde rin triple distilled water (ung nilalagay sa mga car batteries). The Prestone Coolant may be applied as well to any car or model. Just read the label. May mga degrees yun. Kung gusto mo ng higher temp ang kaya niya, you just increase the ratio of the coolant vis-a-vis the water.

I personally just use water during city trips. Bumibili lang ako ng coolant pag biyahe kami sa province.

askd kow lang ..kailan lng ba umiikot yung fan ng radiator..tuwing start ba ng makina or tuwing umiinit lang yung radiator or makina..i hve two fan sa radiator kaso everytime that i start the engine eh di sya umiikot..pero nung minsan nagamit kow yung car after kow iparkd eh saka lang umiikot at saglit lang tapos a while eh saka lang iikot ulit...is this normal...im driving honda cty type z model 2000...sensya na and pls need your advise...thnks...

3. As to the radiator fan, most front wheel drive vehicles are equipped with a temp sensor that will automatically engage the fan when the engine temperature reaches a certain point. this is to help the radiator itself in cooling down the water temperature flowing through the engine.

Now if the car is a rear-wheeled drive vehicle, the fan is usually interconnected with the belt drives and will turn when the engine is engaged.