Motoring For Dummies - All Your Car & Driving Questions Answered H

hello. i'm a newbie pickup owner (isuzu dmax) so please bear with me.

i have two questions.

1. i read sa manual you have to step on the clutch before starting the ignition (even if the pickup is on neutral). is it really necessary?

2. when starting daw a deisel engine like dmax, we have to wait several minutes for the engine to get warm before driving it? how long exactly? and gaano katagal di napa andar ang pickup before performing this 'ritual' again?

thanks talaga sa tulong and sorry if medyo 'dumb' ang mga questions ko. if there are also links to websites na me tips how to take proper care of my dmax, i'd really appreciate it.

hello! having a new car is a great feeling. hope this helps:

1. yes you have to step on the clutch for the pick up to start. its a built in safety device to ensure that it won't jerk forward when you turn the start key while in gear.

2. you don't have to wait to drive your pickup, just don't drive fast at first because it needs time to warm up.

tsikot.com is a great site for people who love cars. there's an isuzu club there i think

• 4 weeks later...

I do have a 96 Sentra Series 3, I do have a problem where while driving, namamatay yung car, but fortunately I can start it again. But while driving, namamatay ulit, especially when I go neutral... I have a new battery and changed alternators. It happens when the aircon is ON and also at night when my headlights are also ON. But there are instances that it does not happen. May I ask what seems to be the problem?? Thanks a lot.

hello! having a new car is a great feeling. hope this helps:

2. you don't have to wait to drive your pickup, just don't drive fast at first because it needs time to warm up.

add ko lang.. the real reason for this practice is for the oil to have sufficient time to spread sa engine.. warming up (heat) makes the oil thinner therefore allowing it to spread better. kasi when you rev it high right away friction in the engine will cause more wear and tear so iiksi buhay ng engine..

I do have a 96 Sentra Series 3, I do have a problem where while driving, namamatay yung car, but fortunately I can start it again. But while driving, namamatay ulit, especially when I go neutral... I have a new battery and changed alternators. It happens when the aircon is ON and also at night when my headlights are also ON. But there are instances that it does not happen. May I ask what seems to be the problem?? Thanks a lot.

check your groundings. may maluwag lang dyan..

add ko lang.. the real reason for this practice is for the oil to have sufficient time to spread sa engine.. warming up (heat) makes the oil thinner therefore allowing it to spread better. kasi when you rev it high right away friction in the engine will cause more wear and tear so iiksi buhay ng engine..

check your groundings. may maluwag lang dyan..

or you can have your car install an extra grounding kit, baka naman kasi nagkukulang na sa negative ang groundings mo...

Need info on this one.

Mitsubishi Spacegear Model 2004 Gas Variant - Can I use higher octane fuels, like Velocity? Currently using Unleaded Gas

Thanks

Going higher octane is rarely a problem. It's when you go to lower octane that there could be a problem if your car requires high octane.

• 3 weeks later...

check mo din bro kung tama talaga yung amperes na kinarga sa sasakyan mo, i had mine before 65 amperes then nung nasira, 110 yung kinabit which is ok naman basta wag lang mababa sa 65 then after 2 years sira uli alternator ko then bumalik ako sa 65 kasi yun ang tamang amperes sa sasakyan, which is 65..

maybe yung kinabit sayo is mas mababa than the normal amperes that is required but it also helps that you check the wirings...

if you're near MINDANAO AVENUE, check mo yung SHELL after ng ST. JAMES, ok yung mechanics nila....

hth

• 1 month later...

BREAKING -IN A NEW CAR

(from popular mechanic by Fritz Springman "Whip Those Horses" year 1965)

When "Breaking-In" a new car, it should neither be driven too fast nor babied.

High speed driving will result in scuffed pistons and rings, and scored cylinder

walls. On the other hand, consistently slow driving will not properly break-in

an engine.

Use the "Whip Technique" when breaking-in a new car:

ALTERNATING PERIODS OF SLOW DRIVING WITH FEW SECONDS OF FAST DRIVING.

Break-in a new car on a stretch of highway where traffic is light. Start at a

speed of 40 kph. Then using a half-throttle acceleration, the car is whipped up

to 55 kph, the throttle is released and the car allowed to drop back to 40 kph.

After a short run at 40 kph, the car is again whipped at 55 kph. This procedure

is repeated for the first 150 kilometers.

At the end of each 150 kilometers, the whip is stepped up as follows:

150 kilometers, whip up from 40 to 55 kph

300 kilometers, whip up from 50 to 65 kph

450 kilometers, whip up from 55 to 70 kph

600 kilometers, whip up from 65 to 80 kph

ADDITIONAL TIPS:

Careful driving during the first 2,000 kilometers will pay

dividends later on in longer engine life and smoother mechanical functioning.

Specific RUNNING IN, though, is unnecessary, but it bis advisable to

remember the following:

* Constant speed operation should be avoided as parts tend to quickly adjust

themselves to other parts if variable speeds are used during this

initial period.

* Severe brake applications should be avoided, if possible, during the first

150 kilometers of inter-city, 1,500 kilometers of highway operation.

This will allow the brake lining to seat against the brake disc and drums.

* Driving a car with manual transmission, you should avoid consistently high

speeds, over-revving, or straining the engine. Use the gearbox freely

and vary your speed.

* With automatic transmission, as well as oberving the manual transmission

recommendation, avoid holding on to the override positions for prolonged

periods, harsh engine breaking, or too frequent kick-down acceleration.

• 3 weeks later...

good day... who knows an expert mechanic for honda civic 1996 vtec.... idling drops.... thanks...

possible source/s:

-the IACV needs cleaning...(a.k.a. throttle body)

-spark plug needs to replaced

-throttle cable needs to be adjusted

-fuel lines are clogged

-fuel filter needs to be replaced

• 2 weeks later...

help please..

toyota innova diesel experiencing occasional loose compression (not sure of term to use when you give it gas to no avail) while driving, specifically when slowing down, resulting in the engine dying out. after restarting the engine, it will run smoothly again for a prolonged period of time before the symptom reappears.

brought it to a mechanic and drove it with him a long way without the problem manifesting itself. mechanic said he couldn't fix it if he didn't know what he was dealing with and suggested i bring it to a shop with a computer-aided diagnostic machine.

if you have any idea what my vehicle's problem is, please share your thoughts. likewise, since i have been putting off the idea of bringing the vehicle back to toyota (for fear of exorbitant fees) prior to another try with a local shop, referrals to one (a car repair shop) in the q.c. area that you think will be able to help me would also be appreciated.

help please..

toyota innova diesel experiencing occasional loose compression (not sure of term to use when you give it gas to no avail) while driving, specifically when slowing down, resulting in the engine dying out. after restarting the engine, it will run smoothly again for a prolonged period of time before the symptom reappears.

brought it to a mechanic and drove it with him a long way without the problem manifesting itself. mechanic said he couldn't fix it if he didn't know what he was dealing with and suggested i bring it to a shop with a computer-aided diagnostic machine.

if you have any idea what my vehicle's problem is, please share your thoughts. likewise, since i have been putting off the idea of bringing the vehicle back to toyota (for fear of exorbitant fees) prior to another try with a local shop, referrals to one (a car repair shop) in the q.c. area that you think will be able to help me would also be appreciated.

Possible causes:

Vapor-lock, but since the Innova has a commonrail fuel system, it's unlikely.

Faulty fuel cut-off switch

Clogged fuel lines/dirty or clogged fuel filter

Dirty air filter

Dirty air intake sensor

Problem with intake or exhaust valves

How old is the vehicle and how many kilometers has it travelled?

^

its a little older than 4 yrs and has traveled ~55k kms.

can you suggest a place preferably in q.c. where i can have those possible problems a look see?

thanks btw for taking the time to answer. really appreciated. :)

try bringing your car sa RUBBERVOLT WEST AVENUE bro, they have good mechanics there though mahal lang sila sumingil.....

just try it bro then decide for yourself....

:)

^

its a little older than 4 yrs and has traveled ~55k kms.

can you suggest a place preferably in q.c. where i can have those possible problems a look see?

thanks btw for taking the time to answer. really appreciated. :)

There's another possible cause- fouled up injector or injectors.

So sorry, but don't know any good mechanics in your area. Hope you can find one who has a diagnostic computer for the Innova so you can be sure that it will be repaired correctly, rather than do a trial and error repair.

check mo din bro kung tama talaga yung amperes na kinarga sa sasakyan mo, i had mine before 65 amperes then nung nasira, 110 yung kinabit which is ok naman basta wag lang mababa sa 65 then after 2 years sira uli alternator ko then bumalik ako sa 65 kasi yun ang tamang amperes sa sasakyan, which is 65..

maybe yung kinabit sayo is mas mababa than the normal amperes that is required but it also helps that you check the wirings...

if you're near MINDANAO AVENUE, check mo yung SHELL after ng ST. JAMES, ok yung mechanics nila....

hth

I used to have a series III with the same problem, its an the computer box or engine mgt. system. I sold mine as is..

Mga sir, ask ko lang sana, although hindi siya car related, but more tungkol sa license.

Papaano ba yung sistema ng restrictions sa vehicles sa drivers license? Beginner po ako and will be studying driving this month. Plan ko kasi kumuha ng International Drivers License afterwards,kasi working ako here abroad. Ang question ko rin is, papano ka makakakuha ng additional rating para makapag drive ng trucks, buses? Saan makakapag aral nun diyan sa Manila and saan ako mageexam? Pwede ba ako diretso kumuha ng Professional license pagkatapos ko mag aral ? May experience required ba kapag kukuha nung additional ratings?

Nalilito ako kasi here (Japan) kasi very particular kasi sila lalo na sa restrictions, and iba kasi sistema.

Thanks sa mga sasagot, please enlighten me.

• 1 month later...