His Airness Michael Jordan

revo20012000

at bakit naman napasok si Pete Maravich dito?

Point ko lng ksi hindi naman lahat ng player kilala ng mga tao. karamihan ksi si jordan lng naabutan. Dami pa Greatest na pde isali kaso din na naabutan ng tao.

Ang Greatest Player nasa 80s

Usually mga naabutan 80s basketball hindi masyado natuwa sa 90s basketball. iba tlga competition eh.

Edited by edc
Let's say that EDC is correct in saying that Jordan did not have the BB IQ that Bird or Magic had during his rookie season.. or even during his college formative years.. (*** The quotations below came from the book entitled Jordan by Mitchell Krugel..)

EDC said that defenders were "latak" when he won the championship but isn't it not the scoring and FG% that is a true testament.. let's look at Jordan's scoring through the Bird and Magic era..

84-85 - 28.2; 85-86 - 22.7; 86-87 - 37.1; 87-88 - 35.0; 88-89 - 32.5; 89-90 - 33.6; 90-91 - 31.5.. Out of this 7 years playing against Bird/Magic and Isaiah.. 5 of these years were all 50%++ FG percentages..

This only shows that Jordan had his way against the whole of the NBA at that time.. Even though defense was tight against him.. He learned to find ways to score.. Di ba?  Kung talagang matindi ang defense before dapat siguro hindi siya puros 30++ ang puntos niya..

Nuff said?  :lol:

Hindi mo naintindihan point ko.

Nung bago pa si jordan bihira mampasa yan. yung assits average nya nung bago sya deceiving ksi mas bwakaw sya dati. kahit na naka 8 assits average sya dati wla sa flow ng game. hindi nya pa alam yung correct pass dati.

Mas maganda average nya early years pero d champion. hindi pa nya mafigure out kung pano manalo dati. hindi average sinasabi ko. ang point ko impact sa team nung early years. hindi bano mga teammates nya dati.

Nung nagchampion si jordan mas bumaba scoring average pero natuto na sya mampasa at mas sisiw yung competition nung early 90s

Nung 80s dalawa or tatlo bumabantay kay jordan hala tira pa rin. Pero nung 90s pinapasa na yung bola.

mga kalaban nya ng 90s tlga matatalo nya. hindi na sya dehado nun.

Type ko yung sinabi mo na hindi magkapareha ng IQ si jordan kay bird and magic. Malayo talaga eh. Kahit nung humawak ng team si jordan lumabas yung IQ d b. kaya nga na "YOUR FIRED" d b.

Bilib nga ako dun sa guts ni Abe Pollin. Isipin nyo "Greatest Player Sa karamihan ng mga Tao" Tapos Sisipain. Marami sigurado nagalit kay Abe Pollin nun pero Tama lang naman eh.

Sinabi na din ni Jerry Krause. "Michael(Jordan) is a Great Player But a Lousy Manager"

As a player ok si jordan. One of the Greatest. Grabe Athletic Ability. Pero 7 years bago nafigure out. Executive position akala ata ni jordan maganda IQ nya.

Hindi pde Gamitin yung athletic ability sa Executive Positon.

So Overall One of the Greatest si Jordan. Sana nga lng hindi na bumalik ng wizard para mas maganda pa nangyari. Kso dun lumabas yung utak ni jordan nung hinawakan wizard.

maybe we agree on that, the mere mention of the term "greatest" is too broad to name a person. But i think its not right to discredit what others think because ur thinking otherwise. kung para sa iba, i mean sa karamihan si Jordan ang "da Greatest", so it be. choice nila yun. and i think di magandang pakinggan yung porket iba gusto mo at feel mo eh ibig sabihin idi discredit mo yung choice ng iba... unfair... same way i said on my 1st post na; unfair sa achievement ng ibang greatest players ung term na MJ is the greatest, ganun din ka unfair kung di natin i aacknowledge ang nagawa ni Jordan sa NBA, i mean sa basketball, as a whole. James Naismith have invented it but it's Michael who put it into the market...

For me, i look at him more than just a basketball player. i see him as a model on how to approach ur work, ur profession,...with passion. Gusto ko ung work attitude nya na masyado niyang sineseryoso ang basketball at practice. He never leave any stone unturned when it comes to improving his craft and being the best as he can be. Isa syan sa mga nag influence on how to approach my job, my profession... So kahit sino pa yang idol mo, kahit anong laro nya, see to it kung ano ba ang matututunan mo sa kanya, di lang ung na eentertain ka nya.

... just to add to Kanto-T's post...

Being greatest does not mean you are perfect.. Jordan is not perfect.. no one is.. So, whenever EDC says that Jordan was not a good GM (when he was with the Wizards).. I just smile coz its the truth but it never diminished the credibility of MJ.. He may have made mistakes as a part of the Wizards' management/organization but these mistakes are nothing compared to what MJ was able to accomplish for Basketball.. He made basketball a global phenomenon.. and as stated with my previous post.. he tried to improve all aspects of his game.. he tried to be as perfect as possible.. he tried not to care about his nagging injuries and give the best possible game that he can..

The attitude, the drama, the suspense.. and even the controversies surrounding the man-myth Air Jordan made him the greatest athlete in the eyes of many.. That's reality.. and his detractors must respect that.. :rolleyes:

maybe we agree on that, the mere mention of the term "greatest" is too broad to name a person.  But i think its not right to discredit what others think because ur thinking otherwise.  kung para sa iba, i mean sa karamihan si Jordan ang "da Greatest", so it be. choice nila yun. and i think di magandang pakinggan yung porket iba gusto mo at feel mo eh ibig sabihin idi discredit mo yung choice ng iba...  unfair...  same way i said on my 1st post na; unfair sa achievement ng ibang greatest players ung term na MJ is the greatest, ganun din ka unfair kung di natin i aacknowledge ang nagawa ni Jordan sa NBA, i mean sa basketball, as a whole.  James Naismith have invented it but it's Michael who put it into the market...

For me, i look at him more than just a basketball player.  i see him as a model on how to approach ur work, ur profession,...with passion.  Gusto ko ung work attitude nya na masyado niyang sineseryoso ang basketball at practice.  He never leave any stone unturned when it comes to improving his craft and being the best as he can be.  Isa syan sa mga nag influence on how to approach my job, my profession...  So kahit sino pa yang idol mo, kahit anong laro nya, see to it kung ano ba ang matututunan mo sa kanya, di lang ung na eentertain ka nya.

there was one story i heard during jordan's early years in the nba. it was told that jordan during team practice would be the first to arrive and the last to leave. it was told that after team practice, jordan would stay behind and take 4000 shots to improve his jump shots! now that's dedication!!!

... just to add to Kanto-T's post...

Being greatest does not mean you are perfect.. Jordan is not perfect.. no one is.. So, whenever EDC says that Jordan was not a good GM (when he was with the Wizards).. I just smile coz its the truth but it never diminished the credibility of MJ.. He may have made mistakes as a part of the Wizards' management/organization but these mistakes are nothing compared to what MJ was able to accomplish for Basketball.. He made basketball a global phenomenon.. and as stated with my previous post.. he tried to improve all aspects of his game.. he tried to be as perfect as possible.. he tried not to care about his nagging injuries and give the best possible game that he can..

The attitude, the drama, the suspense.. and even the controversies surrounding the man-myth Air Jordan made him the greatest athlete in the eyes of many.. That's reality.. and his detractors must respect that..  :rolleyes:

Hindi mo ba napansin parang nabawasan kahit papano yung tingin kay jordan. Lalo na yung bumalik sya nung paghawak nya ng wizard medyo palpak. check mo din yung draft picks na kinuha nya. Pinopoint-out ko lng IQ ni jordan sa basketball as a whole.

Sa tingin nyo bakit nagkandleche-leche wizard nung hawak ni jordan? Kasi ang tingin nya sa sa sarili nya nun sya pa rin ang star player. Hindi nya inihinanda yung mga teammates nya. Nalimutan ko sino nagsabi nito eh. Isa yan sa Reason bkit sya fired ni Abe Pollin.

Sabi nga ni Barkley "If ever daw na magkaroon ulit ng 4th Coming Si jordan, that will be Ego. (sa paglalaro yan)

Pero sana bumalik ulit at humawak ulit ng team. Para malaman kung marunong talaga humawak ng team. Bigyan pa rin ng "benefit of the doubt"

The attitude, the drama, the suspense.. and even the controversies surrounding the man-myth Air Jordan made him the greatest athlete in the eyes of many.. That's reality.. and his detractors must respect that..  :rolleyes:

ah oo. Greatest Athlete agree ako.

Yun nga lng meron na mas magaling na athlete sa kanya now si Vince Carter lalo na sa dunks.

Edited by edc

jordan is arguably the greatest basketball player ever. and m inclined to agree with that. y?

1. Jordan dunked when he can, shoot when he couldn't. over the years, i haven't seen a guy so good with the fade away...the only comparable guard in terms of offensive output w/a respectable FG % is Kobe Bryant. And Jordan had his scoring titles against the fiercest competitors on the BB court while Kobe's having his way in a watered-down competition in the expansive NBA.

2. Jordan can defend as well. forgot how many defensive titles he had. but u see, seldom u see a guy so tenacious at both ends of the court. i dare say no one is as good as jordan at his prime when it comes to having a balanced offense-defense.

3. Jordan is mentally tough. perhaps the toughest ever. the only other player who can rival his mental toughness is Bill Russel. let's admit it...who among the players, then and now, will risk their career playing with a broken eye socket without a mask, just to hide from his opponents this "weakness"? or play with a dehydrating flu and come up with 38 points on his way to a come-from-behind win? or steal a victory by scoring, stealing a ball, and beating the buzzer in under a minute? He goes on the court and fear is on the eyes of his opponents. He toyed anyone at will...he made fun at Mutombo..humbled Starks (and the Knicks), made Barkley feel really small, and silenced all his critics by repeating the 3-peat relying on a 2nd-rate crew which only made sense bec. Jordan was their teammate. He commanded so much respect on court that even refs are intimidated. It's this rare air that makes him so good.

4. He made his team looked so good, made his teammates feel invincible and made them overachieved. I mean let's admit it...some here say he won the championships bec. the competition ain't so great...well, his team ain't even as great as the teams he defeated!!! Wellington, Luc Longley, Randy Brown, Kukoc, Kerr, Pippen, Harper, Rodman....i mean these guys are just average without Jordan. When Jordan left for good, these guys except pippen and kukoc are all bench warmers. and ultimately, pippen has been exposed as a nice swing man but someone who seem incomplete w/o a Jordan to create shots for him. Kukoc didn't fare any better than pippen. Rodman? he's soon out of the NBA after Jordan. u see, the only person who forced rodman to use his skills to the maximum was Jordan. Rodman admitted he's afraid of Jordan. Something he didn't feel towards Isiah Thomas.

5. Bec. his competition feel he is the greatest. we can debate all day but all r arguments won't hold water against this. the NBA for some time had to even sell the "next Jordan" angle for some time...he had been the de facto measure of excellence. even now, Kobe, Lebron, et al are still competing with that lingering Jordan "air". the compliment given by the ones who fought jordan on court cannot be simply dismissed. it's just plain naivette to do that.

Yun nga lng meron na mas magaling na athlete sa kanya now si Vince Carter lalo na sa dunks.

Its not just in basketball ang pagiging greatest athlete ni MJ (arguably yan ha).. baka lalo kang hindi mag-agree dahil si Jordan ay being compared to other athletes in football, golf, tennis, etc. Ito ang sinasabi ko.. Jordan has elevated himself not just in Basketball but more than that.. Kaya he can't be compared to Air Canada, KB8, LBJ.. because he has done things for basketball ---- ilan beses ko ba dapat iulit sa thread na ito na MJ revolutionized basketball.. basketball became a household name because of him..

VC may be the best dunker.. the best athletic phenom ever to wear an NBA uni.. but c'mon an athlete is more than that.. its more than highlights.. when people say that MJ is arguably the best athelte in the world .. they are talking about his contributions in BB and the way he touched peope's lives.. read what Kanto Terrorist's statement above my previous post.. exactomondo yun..

He has contributed things for basketball.. as say what Tiger Woods has given golf.. Both are not perfect pare but they both got considered as the best in their specific sport because of determination, drama, guts and the way they played their game..

---

As I have said, nobody's perfect.. He may have mishandled the Wizards team or made wrong decisions as the drafting of Kwame Brown.. But honestly, Jordan the player.. ang tinitingnan ng karamihan.. When EDC said that na-diminish ang myth ni Jordan during his tenure sa Wizards.. I would say hindi na diminish but people did not agree on his decisions especially when he came back..

People don't look at his play as a Wizard.. people still look at how he revolutionized BB while wearing the Bulls uni.. coz this is the most important of all of his achievements.. Barkley's statement only proves one thing.. he did not agree when MJ came back.. But his respect for him never waned.. MJ's popularity, his myth can not just be destroyed by some mistakes.. sorry pare.. coz his contributions have all outweighed his imperfections..

Its not just in basketball ang pagiging greatest athlete ni MJ (arguably yan ha).. baka lalo kang hindi mag-agree dahil si Jordan ay being compared to other athletes in football, golf, tennis, etc. Ito ang sinasabi ko.. Jordan has elevated himself not just in Basketball but more than that.. Kaya he can't be compared to Air Canada, KB8, LBJ.. because he has done things for basketball ---- ilan beses ko ba dapat iulit sa thread na ito na MJ revolutionized basketball.. basketball became a household name because of him..

VC may be the best dunker.. the best athletic phenom ever to wear an NBA uni.. but c'mon an athlete is more than that.. its more than highlights.. when people say that MJ is arguably the best athelte in the world .. they are talking about his contributions in BB and the way he touched peope's lives.. read what Kanto Terrorist's statement above my previous post.. exactomondo yun..

He has contributed things for basketball.. as say what Tiger Woods has given golf.. Both are not perfect pare but they both got considered as the best in their specific sport because of determination, drama, guts and the way they played their game..

---

As I have said, nobody's perfect.. He may have mishandled the Wizards team or made wrong decisions as the drafting of Kwame Brown.. But honestly, Jordan the player.. ang tinitingnan ng karamihan.. When EDC said that na-diminish ang myth ni Jordan during his tenure sa Wizards.. I would say hindi na diminish but people did not agree on his decisions especially when he came back..

People don't look at his play as a Wizard.. people still look at how he revolutionized BB while wearing the Bulls uni.. coz this is the most important of all of his achievements.. Barkley's statement only proves one thing.. he did not agree when MJ came back.. But his respect for him never waned.. MJ's popularity, his myth can not just be destroyed by some mistakes.. sorry pare.. coz his contributions have all outweighed his imperfections..

---

wala pa akong natatandaan na player na nanalo ng championship in his rookie year at hindi nangailangan ng tulong ng teammates nya.  Si Magic Johnson alam ko nagchampion nung rookie year nya, pero kasama nya dun si Kareem.

Ibig bang sabihin sa more than 50 years of NBA wala pang pwedeng maconsider na greatest player of all time??? lahat na lang sila one of the greatest pero di pwedeng maging greatest of all time?

i cannot believe that winning a championship by doing it alone is a criterion!!! look at the kobe bryant thread. those posters are desperately seeking good support from kobe's teammates so kobe can win a championship again.

Wala rin akong maalala na player na nanalo sa Rookie years nya w/o a a good Supporting cast. Jordan needs help, hindi lang basta magaling kang player, dapat magaling na team mate kailangan.

Napapansin kasi lagi natin kung sino ang nag score, but di natin masyadong napapansin yung mga players na grabe ang assists, rebound, steals, etc., kaya na-focus kay Jordan.

All of them are Greatest on THERE time, kanya-kanyang Panahon lang yan. Di natin masasabi na Greatest of all time. Dahil kung magiging TAPAT ang consideration sa pagiging Greatest, kailangang magsabay sa iisang time-line ang 50 Greatest players which is impossible. Dun lang kasi malalaman eh, magsabay-sabay silang lahat sa isang 82 game season. Pero marami ng kailangan i-consider na factors dyan, rules, plays, etc.,

Kobe is a good scorer, but Kobe cannot do it alone. That is why Laker fans like me are wanting a trade for a good supporting cast.

i still consider that MJ's jumper in deciding and ultimate game against the Utah Jazz in their 98 championship is MJ's last and the icing on his more-delicious-than-a-cake career. Nung nagbalik sya ng NBA as a wizard, wala na, i just consider him a a trying hard, glory-hungry has-been player. remember nung last all-star nya, ipagpilitan ba naman si jordan na tumira ng deciding shot against the west all star as if it was scripted, even the opponent let him take it, pero sablay. sayang, mas maganda pa rin sanang career ending shot yung "the shot" nya nung 98. I was in manila city hall then and nung mga crucial period of that game, never i've seen all the people stop and hold their breath and celebrate madly nung tinira na ni MJ yung game/crown winning shot, parang isang magandang pelikula...

Im a Larry bird fan but i agree that michael jordan was the best during his time. he won 6 rings. the only player who did better than that was bill russell with his 11 rings. but during that time kaunti lang nba teams. so Jordan could be the greatest of all time. but then again, he didint face chamberlain, russell, havlicek, willis reed, baylor, etc... but then again neither did they face a player like jordan.

Its not just in basketball ang pagiging greatest athlete ni MJ (arguably yan ha).. baka lalo kang hindi mag-agree dahil si Jordan ay being compared to other athletes in football, golf, tennis, etc.  Ito ang sinasabi ko.. Jordan has elevated himself not just in Basketball but more than that.. Kaya he can't be compared to Air Canada, KB8, LBJ.. because he has done things for basketball ---- ilan beses ko ba dapat iulit sa thread na ito na MJ revolutionized basketball.. basketball became a household name because of him..

Natulungan na rin ng media. Marketing pa ng nike. Kahit hindi pa nagchamchampion si jordan nun marami na sya fans. ksi marami tlga tao gusto "lumilipad" Tpos nung nagchampion na sya marami na tlga nagkagusto kay jordan.

Sbi nga ni Larry Bird. Basketball is a black mans game. Blacks are the greatest athlete.

Respect ko naman na Greatest player sa inyo si jordan.

Ang pinopoint ko ksi example yung mga friends ko na maka-jordan. nung bumalik si jordan sabi nila playoffs daw sigurado yun ksi hindi lng player si jordan ng wizards executive position pa.

magaling daw dumiskarte si jordan.

Pero nung pumalya si jordan ang sinasbi ng mga friends ko ok lng ksi greatest player pa rin naman daw eh. ang importante daw yung ginawa ni jordan nung panahon sa bulls.

Kso nagyabang na aasenso dw eh wizard eh.

As for kwame brown. magaling tlga yun kahit nung highschool pero si jordan may problema bkit pumalya si kwame brown. umiyak si kwame sa practice nung minura ni jordan. bumagsak daw tlga spirit sa kakaasar ni jordan.

Sabi nga ni Scoop Jackson. "There will be another michael jordan but there will never be another Larry Bird"

una inisip ko na racist remark yun pero nung nabasa ko yung article ni Scoop kung bakit si Bird mas gusto nya nagets ko na.

Yung laro daw ni jordan magagaya daw.

Pero si Bird pano mo gagayahin yung moves? yung Court vision? Ang dami puti na naglalaro sa nba pero kahit "shadow" lang ni bird hindi magaya.

Bkit para sa akin Greatest Player si Bird? ksi nung panahon ng 80s sobrang grabe competition. Compare nyo competition ng 60s, 70s, 90s sa 80s.

Meron na ba player na kagaya ni Bird na sasabihin sa simula ng game sa kalaban nya magiging score nya sa game? Meron ba player na sasabihin nya sa kalaban nya kung saan sya magshoshoot ng game winning shot?

Hindi lng na yan sinabi pero nagkakatotoo mga sinasabi nya.

Hindi naman mataas tumalon si Bird. Hindi rin Mabilis Tumakbo. Pero bkit Hirap bantayan?

Nung first year na dumating si Bird sa NBA hindi pa nya kakampi sila Mchale and Parish. Pero naidala nya sa Eastern Conference yung team nya. Ang record nila nung season 61-21.

The Previous year nung wla pa si Bird ang record ng boston 29-53.

Nung sophomore season ni Bird dun dumating na si Mchale and Parish dun nagchampion boston. Pero rookie pa lng si mchale nun at pang Apat na taon pa lng ni Parish.

Para sa akin kaya hindi greatest player si jordan. Nagchampion sya after 7years nung tumanda na sila magic, bird ,thomas.

Yung impact nya sa chicago nung early years nya hindi sa winning eh.

Kung nagchampion si jordan nung 80s kahit isa lng sya na greatest player.

pero dahil hindi sya nagchampion nung 80s ang twag sa kanya "ARGUABLY the greatest player"

i doubt kung meron na basketball player as of now na nakapantay o nakalagpas na sa ability ni jordan in playing basketball....one smart player who knows how to deal w/ the ball....w/ his teamates and of course the crowd w/out all this...he can't be the greatest player of all time....set aside na natin ung nde sya naging sucessfull team manager...but everyone...evrything start from scratch...as we all know michael jordan was not the first round pick and even bulls did make it to the playoff when bulls acquired jordan......after years pa......kaya it is a learning process and team building....wehehehehehe

Jordan? the greatest...YUP..hands down.....being the greatest doesnt just include skills and records alone...you have to look at it at the macro level and the impact this man had made for basketball......if 6 rings, 7+ scoring titles, highest career scoring average (regular & post season), acknowledged ambassador of basketball, marketing sensation...etc...if that doesnt make him the greatest? what will? even blunders as Wizards GM wont erode his rep

go to any part of this world....most people will associate basketball with 6 letters J-O-R-D-A-N

Edited by orionpax
Sabi nga ni Scoop Jackson. "There will be another michael jordan but there will never be another Larry Bird"

una inisip ko na racist remark yun pero nung nabasa ko yung article ni Scoop kung bakit si Bird mas gusto nya nagets ko na.

Yung laro daw ni jordan magagaya daw.

Pero si Bird pano mo gagayahin yung moves? yung Court vision? Ang dami puti na naglalaro sa nba pero kahit "shadow" lang ni bird hindi magaya.

Bkit para sa akin Greatest Player si Bird? ksi nung panahon ng 80s sobrang grabe competition. Compare nyo competition ng 60s, 70s, 90s sa 80s.

Meron na ba player na kagaya ni Bird na sasabihin sa simula ng game sa kalaban nya magiging score nya sa game? Meron ba player na sasabihin nya sa kalaban nya kung saan sya magshoshoot ng game winning shot?

Hindi lng na yan sinabi pero nagkakatotoo mga sinasabi nya.

Hindi naman mataas tumalon si Bird. Hindi rin Mabilis Tumakbo. Pero bkit Hirap bantayan?

Nung first year na dumating si Bird sa NBA hindi pa nya kakampi sila Mchale and Parish. Pero naidala nya sa Eastern Conference yung team nya. Ang record nila nung season 61-21.

The Previous year nung wla pa si Bird ang record ng boston 29-53.

Nung sophomore season ni Bird dun  dumating na si Mchale and Parish dun nagchampion boston. Pero rookie pa lng si mchale nun at pang Apat na taon pa lng ni Parish.

Para sa akin kaya hindi greatest player si jordan. Nagchampion sya after 7years  nung tumanda na sila magic, bird ,thomas.

Yung impact nya sa chicago  nung early years nya hindi sa winning eh.

Kung nagchampion si jordan nung 80s kahit isa lng sya na greatest player.

pero dahil hindi sya nagchampion nung 80s ang twag  sa kanya "ARGUABLY the greatest player"

This time, allow me to pick ur bubble... not because it is said by scoop jackson, so it be. cno ba sya para paniwalaan namin?mas gusto ko pa nga si steve kerr kesa kanya. did he came from heaven to say the truth? "There will be another michael jordan but there will never be another Larry Bird" ....hhhmm, pls elaborate more; (dirk nowitzki only needs some few more cockiness to break that scoop's gospel)... so we may conclude that like scoop, Larry Bird's game is sooo good it also makes ur dick hard :lol: peace... :goatee: :P naintriga tuloy ako, rumenta ako ng cd about ur Larry Legend, to know more and to discover why there are Bird worshippers like you....then okey, i got ur point, like michael, he's such a nasty competitor, he never stop doing everything just to win. Both got extreme competetiveness, really a mark of a Great Player. what i really like about him is his creativity, making the most out of what he have; imagine taking a shot from behind the backboard, that's great... Believe me, if im a NBA coach, i will sell my soul just to get players like him. ultimate player, ultimate competitor...but what makes him different from MJ are their physical ability. Michael is born to fly. His mission is to titillate the fancy of basketball fans who love players scorching the highlight reels. Ung kay Bird naman, utakan. he might not fly, he may not do that power slam or break ankles but his playing IQ levels that of Einstein. sarap maging kakampi. But all in all, it depends upon which type of game you want to.. Imagine NBA na walang mga dakdakero, walang MJ, walang kobe, walng Lebron, sa tingin mo, sino manonood ng NBA?baka magsara sila nyan, maybe the few population of ur like, that i like to call fundamentalist. masama din naman kung puro mga pa showtime ang mga players ng liga coz this will be a league of air-heads at mike wannabes at walang no-nonsense player na kagaya ni bird, oscar robertson, jason kidd, etc. na teamwork ang inuuna.

in the nutshell, every great player is worthy of his own greatness, no matter what style, no matter how they do it. the players worth lambasting are those highly paid players who didn't give what it takes to fit the billing... those who have the God-given talent but lacks the heart and iron will to call them worthy to be in the league earning easy millions, or those who spoil their fortune wasting it in drugs, alcohols, etc.. there are many.... Darius Miles, Shawn Kemp, Vin Baker, ...or those half-hearted famous high-flying eye-candies who dont give a damn giving their all for the sake of their unfortunate team, like the cousins Vince and Tmac.

Edited by kanto-terrorist
This time, allow me to pick ur bubble...  not because it is said by scoop jackson, so it be.  cno ba sya para paniwalaan namin?mas gusto ko pa nga si steve kerr kesa kanya.  did he came from heaven to say the truth? "There will be another michael jordan but there will never be another Larry Bird" ....hhhmm, pls elaborate more; (dirk nowitzki only needs some few more cockiness to break that scoop's gospel)...   so we may conclude that like scoop, Larry Bird's game is sooo good it also makes ur dick hard :lol: peace... :goatee:  :P naintriga tuloy ako, rumenta ako ng cd about ur Larry Legend, to know more and to  discover why there are Bird worshippers like you....then okey, i got ur point, like michael, he's such a nasty competitor, he never stop doing everything just to win.  Both got extreme competetiveness, really a mark of a Great Player.  what i really like about him is his creativity, making the most out of what he have; imagine taking a shot from behind the backboard, that's great...  Believe me, if im a NBA coach, i will sell my soul just to get players like him.  ultimate player, ultimate competitor...

Ang sabi ko lng maganda yung description ni Scoop kay Bird. Kaya nagkaroon sya ng comment na "I'll be honest with you, sometimes Larry Bird played the game of basketball so good, he made my dick hard." Hindi naman ata literal yun. Usually pag pumupuri ang isang tao ng player ang sinasbi nagkakagoosebumps yung tao. Pero si Scoop "Tinitigasan"

Si Dirk Ang layo naman kay Bird. Court Vision na lng, Yung Presence nya sa Team Defense(Hindi Man to Man defense), Yung mga assists ni Bird sa mga teammates nya Grabe.

Si Dirk Scoring Machine lng eh. Wala sa game ni dirk yung Kinakatukatan ni Magic Johnson"

Ang alam ko lang pareha sila sa kulay. Pero nabasa ko sa internet si Adam Morrison "daw" parang next Larry Bird. Ipopost ko yung article na yun.

Marami na kinumpara kay Bird pero ang makukumpara ko lng ka bird ay si Magic Johnson.

ano sbi ni Charles Barkley nung kinumpara si christian laetner kay bird.:according to Charles Barkley, "the only thing Christian Laettner has in common with Larry Bird is they both pee standing up"

Il post yung point ko bkit "there will never be another Larry Bird."

Edited by edc
but what makes him different from MJ are their physical ability.  Michael is born to fly.  His mission is to titillate the fancy of basketball fans who love players scorching the highlight reels.  Ung kay Bird naman, utakan. he might not fly, he may not do that power slam or break ankles but his playing IQ levels that of Einstein.  sarap maging kakampi.  But all in all, it depends upon which type of game you want to..  Imagine NBA na walang mga dakdakero, walang MJ, walang kobe, walng Lebron, sa tingin mo, sino manonood ng NBA?baka magsara sila nyan,  maybe the few population of ur like, that i like to call fundamentalist.  masama din naman kung puro mga pa showtime ang mga players ng liga coz this will be a league of air-heads at mike wannabes at walang no-nonsense player na kagaya ni bird, oscar robertson, jason kidd, etc. na teamwork ang inuuna.

Yun nagustuhan ko kay Bird yung IQ nya sa basketball. Sabi nga ni mchale "We played the game, I thought, the way it should have been played," McHale told the Boston Globe

Hindi naman magsasara ksi nung panahon ni Bird and Magic narejuvenate ang nba. 1979 nung dumating sila umayos nba.

Nagiba lng competition nung dumating yung mga high flyers. Talent na yung ngayon. Pero ang problem nalilimutan nila fundamentals. Kaya marami European players ngayon umaasenso.

Nung panahon naman nila Bird and Magic meron naman Nagdudunk, Si Julius Erving.

ANg napansin ko lng kaya marami nagkagusto kay jordan ksi si jordan ang sumunod sa pagiging Slam dunker ng Dr J. Eh Kumita pa sa karamihan ng mga tao kaya nagkaganun. Idagdag mo pa yung marketing ng nike na may air eh d marami tlga nagkagusto.

Ang Gana nito nabasa ko.

http://www.slate.com/id/2132097/

Follow That Bird

Why does every white basketball player get compared to Larry Legend?

By Josh Levin

Posted Monday, Dec. 12, 2005, at 5:17 PM ET

With seconds left and his team down one, Adam Morrison dribbled right, rose up from beyond the three-point line, and banked the ball high off the backboard. Impossibly, the shot fell through without touching rim, giving Gonzaga a dramatic win.

"Larry Bird, baby!" croaked CBS color man Bill Raftery rapturously. "It felt like guarding Larry Bird," agreed Oklahoma State's Marcus Dove.

Morrison leads college basketball in scoring. He's a 6-foot-8 white guy with floppy hair and a crustache. He's got Type 1 diabetes, which is the rough medical equivalent of growing up in French Lick, Ind. And if that weren't enough, the kid hung a Bird poster in his freshman dorm room. Ladies and gentleman, introducing Adam Morrison—your next "next Larry Bird."

With no disrespect to Morrison, the habit of anointing every young white player the second coming of Larry Bird has to stop. It's bad for the Bird wannabes and it's bad for Bird himself.

Want proof that getting compared to Bird is a one-way ticket to the Caucasian basketball graveyard? A list of players who've been identified as Bird-like reads like the roster of a CBA team sponsored by the KKK. There are the Dukies: Danny Ferry, Mike Dunleavy Jr., and Christian Laettner (according to Charles Barkley, "the only thing Christian Laettner has in common with Larry Bird is they both pee standing up"). There are the guys whose main qualification was playing college ball in the Midwest: Troy Murphy and Wally Szczerbiak ("a Larry Bird game, a Tom Cruise smile," one scribe said). There's the inexplicable: Australian Andrew Gaze. And the monstrously, hilariously inexplicable: center Eric Montross, whom Celtics exec M.L. Carr said was cut from the same cloth as the Birdman.

Since he entered the NBA in 1979, Bird has always been seen as the Great White Hope. That's because he's the Only White Hope. After the Celtics knocked the Detroit Pistons out of the 1987 playoffs, Dennis Rodman groused that Bird was "very overrated" and racked up MVPs because all the awards went to the best available paleface. Jack Sikma and Kurt Rambis didn't offer much competition.

"I think Larry is a very, very good basketball player. He's an exceptional talent," added Detroit's Isiah Thomas. "But I have to agree with Rodman. If he were black, he'd be just another good guy."

It's true that if Larry Bird were black, he would be just another player—albeit another really, really great one. According to the Web site Basketball Reference, the list of players whose statistics mirror Bird's most closely includes one German (Dirk Nowitzki) and six African Americans: Kevin Garnett, Antoine Walker, Clyde Drexler, Magic Johnson, Dominique Wilkins, and Julius Erving. Instead of being classified with his true peer group—the Magics and Dr. J's—Bird has become the patron saint of slow-footed white guys like Troy Murphy and Adam Morrison. Such is the burden of the white archetype.

The Bird myth goes that he got no favors from his DNA but scraped by on his wits and work ethic. While he couldn't jump high, it's ludicrous to suggest that a man who continually outclassed the best athletes in the world wasn't blessed with natural athletic ability. I'm sure there are tens of thousands of Indiana farm boys who shot hoops as much as Bird did growing up, and none of them developed his remarkable shooting touch, not to mention his knack for rebounding. Does that come from hard work or innate skill?

The allure of the Bird comparison is that many of the qualities that made him great—his court vision, his anticipation, his leadership—are stereotypes associated with white basketball virtue. Take a look at these tidbits from Morrison's nbadraft.net scouting report: "Old school right down to the stripes on the socks ... Like a coach on the floor ... Great intangibles, competes and inspires others to play hard ... Fundamentally solid, does all the little things to help his team win ... Sees the floor well, and is creative finding teammates for baskets ... Runs decent, but needs a head of steam." Let's run that through the racial translator: "[White] right down to the [white] on the [white] … Like a [white] on the [white] … [White, white] and [white] … [White], and is [white] … [White], but [he's really slow and also he's white]."

As far as we've come in pro sports, we've yet to reach the point where white basketball players can be comfortably compared to their black peers (and vice versa). One problem is that black basketball players don't have many white peers. The pool of modern-day African-American basketball stars is orders of magnitude larger than that of white ones. When it becomes clear that Grant Hill—or Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner, for that matter—isn't the next Michael Jordan, it's easy to ratchet things down a notch or 12. But if a white swingman falls short of Bird territory, revising him down to an appropriate level is almost too cruel. The next Tom Gugliotta? The next Brian Scalabrine?

To be fair to Adam Morrison, he is a better case study than his Caucasian brethren—he consciously modeled himself after Bird, even emulating his patented high-release shot. It's also true that the current player whose skills most align with Bird's is the Mavs' Nowitzki. Europeans like Nowitzki, Peja Stojakovic, and Pau Gasol come closer to matching Bird's size and skill than any of the stiff-legged white Americans now plying their trade in the NBA. Still, none of these guys are in the same league with Bird when it comes to passing or toughness—they just make the American guys look even more pitiful by comparison.

The folly of strict racial comparisons is clear when you try to conjure Bird's best historical analogue.

The only other scoring big man who could match Larry Legend's rebounding ability, floor-bound approach, and pure mastery of the space around him is Magic Johnson. And he isn't white.

A 1997 Sports Illustrated piece argued that the lack of white stars in the NBA has caused a "white inferiority complex." As a consequence, half-decent players become whites in shining armor. In that SI piece, Keith Van Horn complains that ever since he was in high school he felt the burden of being compared to Bird. Who did he liken himself to? African-American swingman Derrick McKey.

Bird is one guy who never had a white inferiority complex. Actually, he did—he thought every white player was inferior to him. Last year, Bird said in an interview that back in his playing days he "really got irritated when they put a white guy on me." Why did he care if whitey guarded him? "ecause it's disrespect to my game."

The fact that every fair-haired forward gets compared to the Celtics great means that Bird's leaden feet—rather than his scoring, rebounding, or passing—will be his legacy. Now that's disrespectful.

Josh Levin is a Slate assistant editor. You can e-mail him at sportsnut@slate.com.

Photographs of: Adam Morrison by Jesse Beals/Icon; Larry Bird by John M. McDonough/Icon SMI.

If Scoop Jackson thinks that there will never be another Larry Bird.. and there would be another Jordan.. Then he is stupid.. Coz no player would be alike.. For me, No one can ever be compared to Jordan.. no one can ever duplicate what he has done.. coz he was the catalyst that made Basketball a global phenomenon.. a household name.. There might be players that could jump as high as Jordan, can win 6 championships.. can be scoring champ.. can be MVP.. can lead his team to W's.. but they can never be a catalyst.. dahil nag-iisa lang ang catalyst.. dahil siya ang nag-umpisa.. much like George Mikan being BB's first superstar.. first nga eh.. at catalyst.. iisa lang yun..

I do believe na wala ng magiging Bird.. same as Magic or even Eric Montross for that matter.. ;)

eto mga nakita kong similarities ni jordan and bird:

1. both were great leaders. they were able to inspire their teammates because of they were on court and off court.

2. both were proven champions and mvps. both were excellent individual and team players.

3. both were great trash talkers.

4. both had the ability to win even in hostile opponents' homecourts.

5. both were two of the three greatest clutch players in history (the other being reggie miller)

nakitang kong pinakamalaking advantage ni bird kay jordan was his court vision...kaya nga nakakapasa si bird ng patalikod tapos pinapadaan sa ulo nya eh

kaya lang i consider jordan to be greater than bird simply because of jordan's performance in game 5 of 97 finals...pasensya na kung paulit ulit ko tong sinasabi kasi ito talaga ang greatest performance of an athlete that i've ever seen....di ko nakita si bird na nalagay sa situation na he was physically weak and yet make the winning shot of an nba finals game.

i simply cannot imagine how an athlete can match or even surpass how jordan displayed his sheer determination to win that time.