His Airness Michael Jordan

revo20012000

all kids in today's generation is looking up to AI, Kobe, LBJ and etc... but one thing for sure, when they see how MJ played before, it will change their opinions... =)

You have a point, but how about this.

Maybe, if we all saw the Greatest players of the NBA from 60's to present then we can REALLY change all opinions.

Here's the bottomline guys, when you hear the word BASKETBALL... who comes first into your mind???

Me? It's AIR JORDAN!!! Right isn't it??  :thumbsupsmiley:

Yup, that's because Jordan is the one our Generation really saw in action. But what about the past generations? Does the past Greatest Players matter or this is strictly OUR generation?

Yup, that's because Jordan is the one our Generation really saw in action.  But what about the past generations? Does the past Greatest Players matter or this is strictly OUR generation?

I got you, sir..

But if you will back read a little bit.. You can see my arguments with edc before.. and some of it states that when I ask my mom if he knows Michael Jordan.. She says yes.. But Larry Bird? Magic? Walton? Bill Russel? Chamberlain? Nope.. She does not know them.. Even my dad, my aunt who are generations older than me.. do not know those great players.. but they know who MJ is..

Some of you would say.. That was because the NBA was not televised here before.. That's why they did not know who these players were.. I agree.. But would Bill Russel have the impact to revolutionize the game of basketball and put it in a pedastal where everyone would recognize the sport, if we had TV in the PI during that time.. I dunno..

The bottomline is.. MJ revolutionized the word basketball.. and it stays that way.. Hell, my wife does not know who Kevin Garnett, Allen Iverson, Steve Nash are.. But she knows Jordan..

And I will ask you guys another question, why is it that the cards of Michael Jordan are the biggest sellers in the market? Why? Because he is the most known basketball player in the world, and in all generations.. Case in point, Wilt Chamberlain only had two autographed cards.. They sell at a maximum of 1,400 to 2,000 dollars in E-bay.. Some of Jordan's autos can exceed those.. especially his rare ones even though he had tons of autographed cards.. Bakit kaya? Wilt's dead.. Only two known autographed cards.. How come its sells for less? Well, its because MJ revolutionized basketball, not Wilt, not Russel, not Dr. J, not Bird, Magic, Kareem, AI, Kobe, LBJ and even my man, Tim Duncan.. And any basketball fan would want an autographed card of his airness.. whatever age, religion and sex..

Nobody could ever duplicate what MJ did for basketball.. He became an icon.. a savior.. and that can surpass any generation's greatness.. whether its the past or the future..

Just my two cents.. Peace tayo.. :mtc:

Edited by revi
nope its not sorry ha kasi di ko idol ko jordan eh :D

im a pippen fan all the way :)

really? well... make a survey and let's see who's gonna be the greatest or most. :evil:

I respect Pippen but I could SURELY and IM 100% sure that if you'd make a survey who comes into their minds first when they hear the word basketball, it would be or most will say it's MICHAEL JORDAN!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

I got you, sir..

But if you will back read a little bit.. You can see my arguments with edc before.. and some of it states that when I ask my mom if he knows Michael Jordan.. She says yes.. But Larry Bird? Magic? Walton? Bill Russel? Chamberlain? Nope.. She does not know them.. Even my dad, my aunt who are generations older than me.. do not know those great players.. but they know who MJ is..

Some of you would say.. That was because the NBA was not televised here before.. That's why they did not know who these players were.. I agree.. But would Bill Russel have the impact to revolutionize the game of basketball and put it in a pedastal where everyone would recognize the sport, if we had TV in the PI during that time.. I dunno..

The bottomline is.. MJ revolutionized the word basketball.. and it stays that way.. Hell, my wife does not know who Kevin Garnett, Allen Iverson, Steve Nash are.. But she knows Jordan..

And I will ask you guys another question, why is it that the cards of Michael Jordan are the biggest sellers in the market? Why? Because he is the most known basketball player in the world, and in all generations.. Case in point, Wilt Chamberlain only had two autographed cards.. They sell at a maximum of 1,400 to 2,000 dollars in E-bay.. Some of Jordan's autos can exceed those.. especially his rare ones even though he had tons of autographed cards.. Bakit kaya? Wilt's dead.. Only two known autographed cards.. How come its sells for less? Well, its because MJ revolutionized basketball, not Wilt, not Russel, not Dr. J, not Bird, Magic, Kareem, AI, Kobe, LBJ and even my man, Tim Duncan.. And any basketball fan would want an autographed card of his airness.. whatever age, religion and sex..

Nobody could ever duplicate what MJ did for basketball.. He became an icon.. a savior.. and that can surpass any generation's greatness.. whether its the past or the future..

Just my two cents.. Peace tayo..  :mtc:

Like you said, you dunno. So is i fair to say that Jorda is he greatest without reasonable doubt?

Nag umpisa kay Jordan ang revolution ng NBA thru Media. Kung the same technology was present during the 60's n 70's, ano kaya ang mangyayari? We don't know right? So Iam just playing it safe and giving my respect to the past Greatest players, I really feel they DID something but with little exposure, di mo rin naman masisi na pangit pa media dati. That woud be unfair.

Basketball critics who lived n saw the past of the NBA doesn't see Jordan as the best, so can our generation really say Jordan is the best? Are we really that SURE!?! In fairness to all the other greatest players?

I can ONLY safely say the Jordan is the best player during the 90's!

Like you said, you dunno. So is i fair to say that Jorda is he greatest without reasonable doubt?

Nag umpisa kay Jordan ang revolution ng NBA thru Media. Kung the same technology was present during the 60's n 70's, ano kaya ang mangyayari? We don't know right? So Iam just playing it safe and giving my respect to the past Greatest players, I really feel they DID something but with little exposure, di mo rin naman masisi na pangit pa media dati.  That woud be unfair.

Basketball critics who lived n saw the past of the NBA doesn't see Jordan as the best, so can our generation really say Jordan is the best? Are we really that SURE!?!  In fairness to all the other greatest players?

I can ONLY safely say the Jordan is the best player during the 90's!

Sabi ko na nga ba iyan ang sasabihin mo Mr. Gideon, sir..

I know you would say that media helped.. it did.. No arguments on that..

If for you 90's greatest player si Jordan.. so be it..

I don't consider Jordan as the most talented player on the planet.. but I consider him as the icon of basketball.. the bringer of the torch.. and no one can ever take that away from him.. If media helped so be it.. but media can't do it alone.. the dramatics in the game of MJ was the essence.. media was just the cream/gravy.. That made him great.. But without media (tama ka).. wala talagang exposure..

But I also have doubts if Mikan, Cousy, Russel, Wilt, Jerry West, Alcindor, Big O, Connie Hawkins, Baylor, Willies Reed, Bill Walton, Elvin Hayes, Dr. J., Bird or Magic can really do what Jordan did during his time.. Actually, I don't think so.. But still you are correct, who knows.. Yung nga lang may flair for the dramatic si Jordan na wala ang karamihan sa kanila.. and it happened a lot of times.. especially after his first retirement.. Unlike si Willis Reed who only had one dramatic finals stint for instance..

With regards to the older players like Bill Russel for instance.. Having only 12 teams for you to tackle at that time will not make your wins as dramatic as Jordan's.. Even though Russel won many titles..

I respect the oldies and even the new ones, dude.. No one will be sure kung sino talaga ang the best.. but whatever you or anybody say.. Jordan is the torch bearer of the game called basketball.. No one - can ever take that away from him.. Not the future.. not the past.. and if media did what they did.. so be it.. but he will forever be regarded as (arguably) the greatest player to ever play the game..

Why? Because of the drama, the flair, the talent, the charisma.. everything, even the failures.. As I have said he is not the most talented for me.. but by golly he is the greatest.. for me kasi Talent does not mean your great.. Good, maybe but not great..

The older generation may see that Russel is the greatest, Kareem or whoever.. but did drama came as we watch the old tapes of yesteryears.. They are being shown in hardwood classics di ba? I do think it lacks the drama of a single player that wanted to win, the quest to prove something.. the quest to prove that he should be regarded as one of the best.. It became a teleserye everytime the lights in those championship films of the Bulls went on.. The spotlight was his.. not just because of media.. but because he commanded the limelight..

I get goosebumps whenever I watch the drama unfold in certain championship events.. say that shot by West to tie a game.. say that hook shot by Magic in his Rookie year.. say that steal by Havliceck.. say that steal by Bird vs. the Pistons.. Hell, but Jordan had so many playoffs and finals' heartbreaks and makes (usually makes) that made it so fun to watch over and over again.. The way he learned how to pass, the way he learned how to shoot.. Iba siya.. As I have said, he had that extra kick.. that was the sheer drama of how he won..

Peace tayo.. :mtc:

dude basketball ain't all Jordan remember Mike also looked up to previous basketball heroes that he could emulate before becoming a legend himself. Sure he is respected by his peers and older generations but NO ONE would be crowned as the KING of BASKETBALL. Everyone contributed to the success of sport. We should rename the thread His Airness Michael Jordan, the greatest player of his time. This would also honor the past, the present and future generation of basketball stars. Again Michael Jordan is not BASKETBALL :cool:

dude basketball ain't all Jordan remember Mike also looked up to previous basketball heroes that he could emulate before becoming a legend himself. Sure he is respected by his peers and older generations but NO ONE would be crowned as the KING of BASKETBALL. Everyone contributed to the success of sport. We should rename the thread His Airness Michael Jordan, the greatest player of his time. This would also honor the past, the present and future generation of basketball stars. Again Michael Jordan is not BASKETBALL :cool:

Then si King Lebron din dapat hindi tawaging "King James.." Just kidding, bro..

No arguments also on you wolvie78, that everyone contributed to the success of the sport.. that everyone should be honored.. that's why there are HOFers and there is the 50 greatest players of all time.. Nobody was ever mentioned to be the best, the greatest.. So, I believe that all players will be given their due time in the limelight..

If for some of you that MJ is not Basketball.. Well, sa akin din.. dahil si Tim Duncan ang idol ko.. But, whatever you and I say, MJ is still the torchbearer of basketball.. Name recall si Jordan dre.. Matunog ang name na MJ.. And when a lot of dudes think of basketball (not all, ha, but a lot) they think of Air Jordan..

Yeah, you are damn correct that Jordan looked up to the previous basketball heroes when he was growing up.. he even measured himself to Isiah, Magic and Bird.. who were arguably the best in the 80's.. But y'know what Jordan wanted.. he wanted to outdo those three coz he wanted to be better than them.. that's why he wanted three straight championships.. and when he accomplihsed that he decided to retire (first retirement).. Yun ang drama.. Then he came back.. Then the drama continued.. and he won three more.. Sabi nga ni Magic, na may extra kick si MJ at yun ang wala sa kanilang 2 ni Bird..

Muhammad Ali is also not the best boxer in the world.. But if you are not fan of Boxing, who would you first think of.. Ali.. Kasi he also had the flair for the dramatic much like Jordan.. Rocky Marciano was never defeated in the ring.. But Mike Tyson rings more bells than him.. coz Tyson had so many controversies right.. Media, you say? I'd say drama.. Ali got known for his good accomplishments and savvy (si Tyson kaya ang pangit ng name recall dahil ang pangit ng naging dating niya sa mata ng mga tao).. just like MJ for basketball..

When I think of Hockey.. who comes to my mind.. Wayne Gretzky.. Is he the greatest? Naah! Hockey fans would argue.. Baseball, who comes to my mind.. Babe Ruth.. O walang pang media masyado nun ha? But why? Coz they had the drama.. Just Like MJ for basketball.. Sa golf, sino? Tiger Woods..

I never said that MJ is the best.. the most talented.. the only who contributed to the game.. But he was the one who instilled to the hearts of millions the word.. basketball.. He is not basketball.. but he is the icon of basketball.. revolution ang ginawa niya.. What he contributed to basketball.. was to pave the "kasikatan" of basketball..

The Bill Russels, and the Lebron James contributed (and is contributing) their own marks but MJ made a real big imprint to the hearts of many.. And that to a lot of people that is the most important thing.. Uulitin ko.. Jordan is not the whole league.. even during his time.. he was not.. but he was the icon to which many are measured, the past, the present and the future.. That for one, is enough to give me goosebumps..

Peace tayo, dudes.. :mtc:

it was really the marketing of his name that made him famous or a torch bearer whatever you wanna call him :P He even registered his name as a trademark because it was already a household name. That is really a smart thing to do for you to be remembered you should stamp your name for all of the people to see and hear. Given the yung 6 NBA titles and awards but he has one of the pioneers of franchising that is why he was considere a "torch bearer" of basketball :cool:

it was really the marketing of his name that made him famous or a torch bearer whatever you wanna call him  :P He even registered his name as a trademark because it was already a household name. That is really a smart thing to do for you to be remembered you should stamp your name for all of the people to see and hear. Given the yung 6 NBA titles and awards but he has one of the pioneers of franchising that is why he was considere a "torch bearer" of basketball :cool:

It was not all marketing.. it was not all media..

When Grant Hill was tagged as the next MJ.. Fila really spent a lot to have his mug plastered all over.. Sprite had him.. So minarket din siya di ba? And he was even billed as the heir apparent.. Hell, his autographed cards were selling like 15,000 at that time.. which was second to Jordan's auto..

But he failed big time.. due to injuries.. Tough luck for Hill.. got traded and never was able to regain that form when he came out of Duke..

Injuries lang ba? Walang kasing drama..

Wolvie, Jordan was the torch bearer not just because of marketing.. he became that because he had the talent, the charisma.. he had the flair for the dramatic..

David Stern and the NBA chose him to be the flag bearer of the NBA.. to make him huge by advertising.. by marketing.. But why did they choose him.. Coz he had that "extra kick" that Magic was telling the media.. he had that flair..

Trademarking is a good move? Sure, it is.. But still, it won't survive if you do not have the talent, the flair to go along with your trademarking.. Converse made Magic and Bird their spokespersons, it did succeed.. but time went by and a more exciting kid came in.. His battles with them, with the Bad boys of Detroit, the one-on-one battles with Nique.. Yun ang drama..

Am I just talking about the awards and championships? Jordan had so many highlights, winning moments that were considered to be very dramatic in the eyes of many.. Yun ang extra kick na parating sinasabi ni Magic Johnson.. Championships, awards? Kulang yan to be considered as an icon..

Naalala mo pa yung nag-slouch siya nung championship game against Utah kay Pippen.. that he had a stomach ailment but still played strong.. Yun ang drama..

Those last second shots against Cleveland, Utah.. Yung isang katutak na 3 pointers against the Blazers.. yun pasa niya kay Kerr at kay Paxson for the go-ahead or the winning basket.. yung acrobatic shot niya against the Barkley-led Suns.. At yung laban niya sa slam dunk contests against the Human Highlight Reel.. It had all people salivating and wanting for more.. Yun ang drama..

Kung ikaw sa tingin mo ay marketing.. sa akin ay hindi.. kulang ang marketing kung hindi gagawa ang tao.. at kulang din ang acrobatic dunks.. ang precision shots.. kung hindi ka nananalo.. at kulang din ang nananalo lang kung walang drama ang pagkapanalo mo.. Jordan had these.. that's why marketing him became successful..

Maswerte ang Nike.. dahil their gamble on Jordan was the best move ever by the shoe company.. Whoever thought that this kid who was cut with the Laney team to make those big shots in college and in his career in the NBA.. Many even gave Jordan doubts when he was injured for most of this second season.. A lot lost hope for the Bulls.. Many thought that Jordan can not shoot.. can not defend.. can not learn to pass.. He developed all of these in his playing years.. Became a "household" entry in the All Defensive Team.. And had those assist highlight reels to make us (viewers) see that in time he learned how to pass.. and trust his team mates..

You think the marketing of the Jordan brand of Nike would be enough to fuel the sales.. the name recall.. Naahh!! Jordan also did something to fuel the sales, the name recall, for him being tagged as one of the most known athletes in the world.. :cool:

Just a quick look of the "air"apparents:

1. Minor(can't believe they called him Baby Mike)

2. Rider (originator of the east bay funk dunk or better known as between the legs)

3. Hill/Hardaway/Stackhouse(Injuries, injuries, injuries)

4. Francis(attitude and migraines)

5. JRich (more like Wilkins bec of the windmills)

6. Ray Allen (No heart!!!)

7. Mcgrady(will that back ever hold-up for a complete season)

8. AI (similarities stopped at the 30 pts ave but was dropped bec stern thought he was too gangsta)

9. Kobe (closest thing we have to MJ minus the controversies)

10. Lebron (similar number but more of a MJ/Bird/Magic hybrid)

^^^nice one derrick, okey sa listahan ah,

question.... If MJ didnt got his 6 rings because he (kunwari lang kung sakali) has no pippen, no phil jackson, no triangle offense and even no rodman, just his old doug collins and his usual bunch of bullcraps, matatawag ba natin syang Dr. J wannabe? o isang mortal na karibal lang ni dominique wilkins sa dunk? will all of us guys still kiss his ass the way we do , or do howard still call him god (take note of small "g") of basketball?

nagtatanong lang po...

^^^nice one derrick, okey sa listahan ah,

question....  If MJ didnt got his 6 rings because he (kunwari lang kung sakali) has no pippen, no phil jackson, no triangle offense and even no rodman, just his old doug collins and his usual bunch of bullcraps, matatawag ba natin syang Dr. J wannabe? o isang mortal na karibal lang ni dominique wilkins sa dunk? will all of us guys still kiss his ass the way we do , or do howard still call him god (take note of small "g") of basketball?

nagtatanong lang po...

@Derrick: Dre, you forgot Vince Carter.. Although he was called the Living Highlight Reel which was more of the Nique type of name call.. VC was also regarded as an "heir apparent.." diba? He is a high flyer (no doubt!).. he is a scorer, slasher.. but he lacked the wins in the playoffs and his popularity just waned.. His transfer to the Nets did not help his popularity.. although it did increase his chance to win a championhsip.. (Pre, sa beckett nga di ba, yung RC ni VC ang pinakamatagal sa Hot List..)

@KT: "If MJ did not win his championships would he still be considered as (arguably) the Greatest?" My answer is NO..

Why? Coz the championships were needed to make the man.. Winning the first three made the drama great.. made the man a legend.. But when he came back and won three more.. the drama became greater that he was considered an icon..

And yup.. even if he had the talent.. but fell short in accomplishments.. even with tons of MVP and NBA Defensive of the Year awards.. he will be regarded as just a Dr. J wannabe.. to whom he was measured against in his first few years in the L.. To add, he will be regarded as a Sir Charles, an Ewing, a Reggie (sino pa ba?) who never won a single ring.. but had tons of talent..

And even though he was marketed, was endorsed like so many in this thread say.. Those things will just go for naught coz he lacked the accomplishments to go with his talent and the drama would just wane.. Those winning shots in the regular season an the playoffs.. they will just be forgotten in time..

But because he was the "leader" of the Bulls.. Even if he did not have Pippen and just had Bill Wennington as the go to Center and Orlando Woolridge as his second option.. And just got known for his flair and his love for the game.. His name in The 50 greatest players/Hall of Fame is a shoe-in..

It was not all marketing.. it was not all media..

When Grant Hill was tagged as the next MJ.. Fila really spent a lot to have his mug plastered all over.. Sprite had him.. So minarket din siya di ba? And he was even billed as the heir apparent.. Hell, his autographed cards were selling like 15,000 at that time.. which was second to Jordan's auto..

But he failed big time.. due to injuries.. Tough luck for Hill.. got traded and never was able to regain that form when he came out of Duke..

Injuries lang ba? Walang kasing drama..

Wolvie, Jordan was the torch bearer not just because of marketing.. he became that because he had the talent, the charisma.. he had the flair for the dramatic..

David Stern and the NBA chose him to be the flag bearer of the NBA.. to make him huge by advertising.. by marketing.. But why did they choose him.. Coz he had that "extra kick" that Magic was telling the media.. he had that flair..

Trademarking is a good move? Sure, it is.. But still, it won't survive if you do not have the talent, the flair to go along with your trademarking.. Converse made Magic and Bird their spokespersons, it did succeed.. but time went by and a more exciting kid came in.. His battles with them, with the Bad boys of Detroit, the one-on-one battles with Nique.. Yun ang drama..

Am I just talking about the awards and championships? Jordan had so many highlights, winning moments that were considered to be very dramatic in the eyes of many.. Yun ang extra kick na parating sinasabi ni Magic Johnson.. Championships, awards? Kulang yan to be considered as an icon..

Naalala mo pa yung nag-slouch siya nung championship game against Utah kay Pippen.. that he had a stomach ailment but still played strong.. Yun ang drama..

Those last second shots against Cleveland, Utah.. Yung isang katutak na 3 pointers against the Blazers.. yun pasa niya kay Kerr at kay Paxson for the go-ahead or the winning basket.. yung acrobatic shot niya against the Barkley-led Suns.. At yung laban niya sa slam dunk contests against the Human Highlight Reel.. It had all people salivating and wanting for more.. Yun ang drama..

Kung ikaw sa tingin mo ay marketing.. sa akin ay hindi.. kulang ang marketing kung hindi gagawa ang tao.. at kulang din ang acrobatic dunks.. ang precision shots.. kung hindi ka nananalo.. at kulang din ang nananalo lang kung walang drama ang pagkapanalo mo.. Jordan had these.. that's why marketing him became successful..

Maswerte ang Nike.. dahil their gamble on Jordan was the best move ever by the shoe company.. Whoever thought that this kid who was cut with the Laney team to make those big shots in college and in his career in the NBA.. Many even gave Jordan doubts when he was injured for most of this second season.. A lot lost hope for the Bulls.. Many thought that Jordan can not shoot.. can not defend.. can not learn to pass.. He developed all of these in his playing years.. Became a "household" entry in the All Defensive Team.. And had those assist highlight reels to make us (viewers) see that in time he learned how to pass.. and trust his team mates..

You think the marketing of the Jordan brand of Nike would be enough to fuel the sales.. the name recall.. Naahh!! Jordan also did something to fuel the sales, the name recall, for him being tagged as one of the most known athletes in the world..  :cool:

Dude again it was the ingenuity of the marketing of his name that made him great. Do not compare Grant Hill to Jordan because the poor guy did not take care of himself during his prime :thumbsdownsmiley: He is a CHAMPION like the other greats who played the game no question about it. But everything was just good timing for his name to be known because of the products that he became associated with from the footwear to the cologne. The guy was a walking goldmine for retailers, advertisers and parents of NBA players wanna be. He encouraged youngsters (Highschool) to skip college and jump to the Pros. Another known Jordan-like marketing that is succesful right now is...Yao Ming because of where he came from - C H I N A which has an estimated 4 billion in population. Yao Ming can be "great" believe me because of this branding strategy. And how is Yao doing now?! Yao can retire without a championship and even be more popular that jordan in years to come that is a fact :D

No offense to Jordan lovers here i admire (and respect) the great michael jordan but it ain't all about the game that made him an icon :mtc:

Guest kicx
Just a quick look of the "air"apparents:

1. Minor(can't believe they called him Baby Mike)

2. Rider (originator of the east bay funk dunk or better known as between the legs)

3. Hill/Hardaway/Stackhouse(Injuries, injuries, injuries)

4. Francis(attitude and migraines)

5. JRich (more like Wilkins bec of the windmills)

6. Ray Allen (No heart!!!)

7. Mcgrady(will that back ever hold-up for a complete season)

8. AI (similarities stopped at the 30 pts ave but was dropped bec stern thought he was too gangsta)

9. Kobe (closest thing we have to MJ minus the controversies)

10. Lebron (similar number but more of a MJ/Bird/Magic hybrid)

harold minor ba or miner? if i remember they called him baby jordan :)

si finley wala sa list mo. he's from chicago :)

Damn Bro! I did forget Carter! Thanks for the addendum Bro Revi! Yup his cards did skyrocket when he won the slamdunk title back then. Bro Kicx may point ka about Fin-Dog. I think he even played one on one with MJ when he was in high school as his prize for being the mvp of some league. Eniweys, maybe during Fin's early career when he was attacking the rim with reckless abandon.

Guest kicx
Dude again it was the ingenuity of the marketing of his name that made him great. Do not compare Grant Hill to Jordan because the poor guy did not take care of himself during his prime :thumbsdownsmiley: He is a CHAMPION like the other greats who played the game no question about it. But everything was just good timing for his name to be known because of the products that he became associated with from the footwear to the cologne. The guy was a walking goldmine for retailers, advertisers and parents of NBA players wanna be. He encouraged youngsters (Highschool) to skip college and jump to the Pros. Another known Jordan-like marketing that is succesful right now is...Yao Ming because of where he came from - C H I N A which has an estimated 4 billion in population. Yao Ming can be "great" believe me because of this branding strategy. And how is Yao doing now?! Yao can retire without a championship and even be more popular that jordan in years to come that is a fact :D

No offense to Jordan lovers here i admire (and respect) the great michael jordan but it ain't all about the game that made him an icon :mtc:

it's not all about marketing, you should also have the best product which in this case it's MJ. Marketing can only get you as far.

YAO does not have a MJ like marketing, I would even bet that MJ is as popular as Yao in China. Damn, they even gave him a Chinese name. If Yao has a great marketing team, then he should have been no. 1 or at least in the top five in the U.S.,

Whoa! Wolvie can't stop clawing eh? :thumbsupsmiley:

Kicx answered you correctly.. "Ingenuity.." That's your word for marketing Jordan.. I am laughing at that bro.. No offense but that is lame.. In marketing, sure ingenuity, originality does help but marketing won't do anything if your product is nothing..

Now, going to Grant Hill.. I did not compare him to Air Jordan.. I was just saying that Fila also took a gamble in making Duke33 their spokesperson.. Di ba kinuha din nila si Stackhouse when they both played together in Detroit.. But because (as you have said na hindi niya inalagaan ang sarili niya) naging prone siya sa injury nawala ang lahat ng pinaghirapan ng FILA.. Yung ang point ko.. Kahit na anong marketing ang gawin ng FILA kay Hill.. walang mangyayari dahil walang kwenta ang product.. injured and in time, never came back into form..

If it ain't all about the game that made him an icon.. Then what?

I have answered that in my sooooo many posts here.. DRAMA!!! The flair for the dramatic.. If winning was the essence.. it was the drama that made people salivate for more and watch his games repeatedly.. It ain't just the championships, dude.. Hindi lang yung clutch shots.. hindi lang awards.. it was how he won that made him an icon..

it's not all about marketing, you should also have the best product which in this case it's MJ.  Marketing can only get you as far.

YAO does not have a MJ like marketing, I would even bet that MJ is as popular as Yao in China. Damn, they even gave him a Chinese name.  If Yao has a great marketing team, then he should have been no. 1 or at least in the top five in the U.S.,

Wolvie said that Yao can retire without winning a championship and be more known than Jordan.. Hehehe!!! Wow, tough statement from an X-Man, hehehe!!! - joke lang dre, wolvie.. Yao Ming was a hyped up big man when he entered the L.. They said that he would dominate.. For me, he is too soft to dominate the L in the center post.. He is being compared to an Olajuwon? the second coming of the Dream? Naah!

I agree with you on this one, kicx.. Hell, even with a great marketing strategy.. kahit gaano ka original.. kahit gaano katalino yang mga tao mo, Yao will not be more popular than Jordan just because of marketing.. Yao or anyone to be considered the torch bearer of a certain sport need to have talent and need to perform well.. In case of MJ, he did all of those with class and flair.. He had the meat and added the perfect gravy for a perfect meal..

Enough of this BS.. Its getting redundant.. Would like to ask the non-believers out there, If David Stern's dick got hard whenever he watches Jordan's acrobatic moves made him wanna spend millions to market MJ, then what moved him to do such a thing? Why not Nique.. high flyer din.. why not Magic or Bird or Isaiah - who were champions.. why not Barkley - who had the bad boy flair, why not Shaq - who was dubbed as the most immovable force? Why not them.. Did MJ sucked the Commish's dick to gain his respect?

Edited by revi
speaking of kobe, he is no mini jordan!  not even close. the guy just lacks character.

here's the thread for kobe http://manilatonight.com/index.php?showtopic=16851&st=1695

we cant compare 2 people with 2 different life style.

but as for comparing kobe to jordan on playing style there are some resemblance.

but i dont think i could compare kobe to jordan because it is not good comparing 2 player while they have different perspective.