The Best Spanish Foods/Restaurant

after office late friday afternoon, i drove to barcino's (one of the few places in town where parking is still free provided you have the ticket validated!) to buy some tapas for friends who will be coming over to the house.

i bought canned goods! --- callos, octupus in oil and garlic, a pack of sliced chorizo and chapata. The chorizo, i had before so i knew what i was buying. the callos and the octopus were a discovery! i placed them in oven proof ceramic bowls and heated in the oven 180-degrees for 10-minutes. my friends were surprised how good the octupus and callos!

Edited by masi
  • Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Señor masi y señor bods:

Perdone me. Una vez mas, yo no astisti en la encuentro la viernes pasada. My celphone (naubusan ng Español!) has a habit of conking out late in the day and could not contact either of you. I saw masi's text the morning after but by then, obviously, it was too late to reply.

To make up for my loss, I decided to bring my family to Barcino's the next day for lunch. It was more of a deli than a restuarant as the menu is limited to a few, all-time favorites. Still, we enjoyed their paella and their callos. Overall, the food was not spectacular but they certainly offer excellent value. Not to mention that the callos was neither oily nor acidic at all (which is a good thing). :thumbsupsmiley: Nice, cozy place....

Also took the chance to pick a few items from the store. Turron and manzanilla. The turrons we bought were all gone by Sunday noon...

Señor masi y señor bods:

Perdone me.  Una vez mas, yo no astisti en la encuentro la viernes pasada.  My celphone (naubusan ng Español!) has a habit of conking out late in  the day and could not contact either of you.  I saw masi's text the morning after but by then, obviously, it was too late to reply.

To make up for my loss, I decided to bring my family to Barcino's the next day for lunch.  It was more of a deli than a restuarant as the menu is limited to a few, all-time favorites.  Still, we enjoyed their paella and their callos.  Overall, the food was not spectacular but they certainly offer excellent value.  Not to mention that the callos was neither oily nor acidic at all (which is a good thing).  :thumbsupsmiley:  Nice, cozy place....

Also took the chance to pick a few items from the store.  Turron and manzanilla.  The turrons we bought were all gone by Sunday noon...

no prob with that magaling... we can always get something going anytime. i also like the coziness of the place. nice hideaway in the middle of the city.

did you hit the driving range? if you need some club repair you can always go to golfworx, as 2/f citygolf plaza. i know the owner and i can refer you. he tailor-fitted my clubs so technically i have no reason to play bad golf and if i do (which is the usual case), it's me who's at fault!!!

Hi there!

Great thread you have here! Could you guys recommend a good spanish resto in Manila?

Thanks.

the general consensus is casa armas at the podium, gb3, malate. but you could try alba, guernica (at remedios circle), la tienda. there are deli cum diners as well such as terry's (podium) and barcino (city golf).

post back and tell us where you went and your dining experience. good luck!

the general consensus is casa armas at the podium, gb3, malate. but you could try alba, guernica (at remedios circle), la tienda.  there are deli cum diners as well such as terry's (podium) and barcino (city golf).

post back and tell us where you went and your dining experience. good luck!

Gracias senor Masi.

Don't worry will share my FR (Food Review) soon.

Cheers to everyone.

now if somebody could just translate this to english!

http://orbita.starmedia.com/alcozar-soria/potaje.htm

garbanzos

bacalao (codfish)

beets or spinach.(acelgas o espinacas)

three cooked eggs (no not yours MAsi) 3 huevos cocidos

salt, pimiento (paprika) and parsleyl

The chick-peas and the codfish are soaked overnight. The next day, the chick-peas are placed in a pot, with the codfish and the three eggs and everything is cooked (if "expréss"or done quickly, this is put in the pot immediately, as cooks had done before, but it will lose flavor and, in addition, in Alcozar these methods (?) were not known some years ago.

In another pot put to boil the beets with salt (because in previous times the spinach was used in the alcozareña Kitchen) and, once cooked, they should glide off the pan well.

Put oil in a frying pan and a sliver of garlic. When garlic is golden reduce the fire and add a little paprika and then add the beets. Once the beets are "reaguadas" - slightly moist, remove from the frying pan of the fire and add to the chick-peas and the codfish. The eggs are peeled before passing them through cold water to facilitate that removal of the shells.

Layer down garlic and parsley and chick-peas and the codfish, also adding the hard cooked eggs in pieces that should not be too large. Let this boil and..., good eating. I hope that they like it

I read somewhere that jamon serrano does not really originate from Serrano (or is there such a place in Spain?).

If you ever wonder (as I did, and sometimes still do) what those labels mean whenever you pick up and buy Spanish ham, I just want to share a few bits of information for the benefit of our jamon enthusiasts here:

All Spanish hams are cured (as opposed to smoked, cooked, etc.) and so ALL are considered to be “jamon curado”

The term “jamon serrano” simply means that the final stage (there are four stages) in the curing process the traditional way which is in mountain (serrano being the Spanish word for mountain) sheds taking advantage of the cool, dry, mountain air.

Otherwise, it is implied that the ham was cured commercially in a factory under carefully controlled conditions. Nowadays, most Spanish hams are cured this way to ensure proper hygiene and quality control given that these hams are being produced en masse.

The term “jamon iberico” means that the meat came from wild iberian hogs which are fed almost entirely with acorns and although they are farmed, they are allowed to roam freely. The slow and expensive method of fattening (free roaming tapos halos acorn lang ang kinakain) are supposed to give them their distinct taste.

The term “jabugo” refers to the village of Jabugo from a region in Spain which is popular for farming of Iberican hogs. Therefore, I guess it is safe to say that all jabugo hams are iberican although not all iberican hams are jabugo (they may come from other regions as well).

Another type of iberican ham is the one that come with the label "Pata Negra". This is from the native Spanish wild hog with black hooves or feet. Again, another sub-category of the term iberico. All these to differentiate one type of ham from another to create product distinction and suggest how special a particular type of ham is.

However, over 95% of Spanish hams are from commercially grown, corn-fed, white hogs. Some of which are Serrano while the overwhelming majority are cured in factory-type environments (whether they are iberican or white hog meat).

Jamon Iberico, especially if it comes from Jabugo, is typically the most expensive of the Spanish hams. The best tasting? Well, to each his/her own.

As for me, I just pick based on the color. The darker the shade of red, the better. IMHO, if the color is pale, that's an indication that the ham was not well seasoned, therefore, less tasty. But that's just me . . . .

Vamos a comer! :)

If you ever wonder (as I did, and sometimes still do) what those labels mean whenever you pick up and buy Spanish ham, I just want to share a few bits of information for the benefit of our jamon enthusiasts here:

All Spanish hams are cured (as opposed to smoked, cooked, etc.) and so ALL are considered to be “jamon curado”   

The term “jamon serrano” simply means that the final stage (there are four stages)  in the curing process the traditional way which is in mountain (serrano being the Spanish word for mountain) sheds  taking advantage of the cool, dry, mountain air. 

Otherwise, it is implied that the ham was cured commercially in a factory under carefully controlled conditions.  Nowadays, most Spanish hams are cured this way to ensure proper hygiene and quality control given that these hams are being produced en masse.

The term “jamon iberico” means that the meat came from wild iberian hogs which are fed almost entirely with acorns and although they are farmed, they are allowed to roam freely.  The slow and expensive method of fattening (free roaming tapos halos acorn lang ang kinakain) are supposed to give them their distinct taste.   

The term “jabugo”  refers to the village of Jabugo from a region in Spain which is popular for farming of Iberican hogs.  Therefore, I guess it is safe to say that all jabugo hams are iberican although not all iberican hams are jabugo (they may come from other regions as well).

Another type of iberican ham is the one that come with the label "Pata Negra".  This is from the native Spanish wild hog with black hooves or feet.  Again, another sub-category of the term iberico.  All these to differentiate one type of ham from another to create product distinction and suggest how special a particular type of ham is.

However, over 95% of Spanish hams are from commercially grown, corn-fed, white hogs.  Some of which are Serrano while the overwhelming majority are cured in factory-type environments (whether they are iberican or white hog meat).

Jamon Iberico, especially if it comes from Jabugo, is typically the most expensive of the Spanish hams.  The best tasting?  Well, to each his/her own. 

As for me, I just pick based on the color.  The darker the shade of red, the better.  IMHO, if the color is pale, that's an indication that the ham was not well seasoned, therefore, less tasty. But that's just me . . . . 

Vamos a comer!  :)

great post, magaling! there goes my ldl count!!!!

i think most hams in europe are air dried, as far as traditional methods of curing are concerned. correct me if i'm wrong.

OT but i dont mind: you're a bedan? i went to college there and graduated in '83.

great post, magaling! there goes my ldl count!!!!

i think most hams in europe are air dried, as far as traditional methods of curing are concerned. correct me if i'm wrong.

OT but i dont mind:  you're a bedan?  i went to college there and graduated in '83.

May kasabihan sa Español: "Los años no perdonan." Ibig sabihin, the years don't forgive. I think we're all coming to that stage when we are becoming more and more concious about what we eat. All those goodies are starting to take their toll. :blush:

OT but i dont mind:  you're a bedan?  i went to college there and graduated in '83.

I think, it is mostly in the southern European countries where one can find air dried hams - Serrano and jabugo for the Spanish as well as proscuitto and parma for the Italians. I am not familiar with Portuguese hams although I suspect they are close to the Spanish varieties. Maybe except for France. I know the French are highly regarded for their wines and cheeses. Not sure about their hams :unsure:

English hams like Yorkshire are actually cooked while others are smoked (at least, those that I've tried). Again, I am not familiar with cuisine from the rest of Europe. :unsure:

PS.: Yes, I'm a Bedan. GS '76. I went to another school (which I regretted :thumbsdownsmiley: ) for HS and then MIT (walang engineering sa SBC eh) for college and yet another school for my MBA. But my loyalty is with SBC and MIT so I count myself as a Bedan-Mapuan. :)

does anyone know kung masarap ang spanish restaurant sa highlands, tagaytay? i ate there once but was in no position to make an objective critique. i was so hungry that boiled water with salt and pepper would have tasted delicious to me. so can someone please tell me kung masarap yung kinain kong paella and callos? haha.

does anyone know kung masarap ang spanish restaurant sa highlands, tagaytay?  i ate there once but was in no position to make an objective critique.  i was so hungry that boiled water with salt and pepper would have tasted delicious to me.  so can someone please tell me kung masarap yung kinain kong paella and callos?  haha.

i havent tried the place as most of my visits to highlands is to play at midlands where sometimes they would serve paella in their lunch buffet. as a personal preference, i would like to order paella than queue for it in a buffet line.

I think, it is mostly in the southern European countries where one can find air dried hams - Serrano and jabugo for the Spanish as well as proscuitto and parma for the Italians.  I am not familiar with Portuguese hams although I suspect they are close to the Spanish varieties.    Maybe except for France.  I know the French are highly regarded for their wines and cheeses.  Not sure about their hams :unsure:

That's true. An acorn-fed pig may hang proudly at the local butcher's for nearly two years before it's cut up and sold (this was a 1960's account. Am not sure if it's still the case). What I do know is they indeed are air-dried. It gives the meat a gamy taste.

My favorite Spanish restaurant is Restaurante Teatriz in Madrid.

Edited by Podweed