The Best Spanish Foods/Restaurant

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's it! So bukas pa pala yon...

Has anyone tried the callos at Almon Marina? It's not a Spanish restaurant, but I really love their callos.

thanks for posting it! i'm pretty sure many will try it now!!! good spanish food doesn't need to be served in a spanish resto...

i for 1, will try it when the opportunity strikes!

Tried cooking paella last Saturday but when I asked my mom to taste it, her reply was "MAS LASANG MENUDO KESA PAELLA"! :-0

The chorizo did not do it's thing to make it spanish tasting. At least amoy paella thanks to the rosemary and basil that I put.

congratulations!!! at least, you tried and it could only get better everytime.... i havent tried cooking it and i wish to do it someday soon!

Yup. As a consolation, wifey said "Dad at least you got the smell, and next time you'll know what to do already". Well I hope so, sayang mga ingredients, anyway it did not go to waste since nothing was left after our meal. Nabili pa rin. :-) If you want the recipe, go to the cooking thread, I got mine there. Hope you'll have your chance too, one day.

Tried cooking paella last Saturday but when I asked my mom to taste it, her reply was "MAS LASANG MENUDO KESA PAELLA"! :-0

The chorizo did not do it's thing to make it spanish tasting. At least amoy paella thanks to the rosemary and basil that I put.

guys, i think there are ready (microwavable) paellas in the market. sa tamad magluto, hehehe. try looking for frozen halal foods in the supermarket, there you see some paellas.

i remember a restaurant before along quirino ave in malate, INTOY'S, they also have the best paella i've tried though wala na yung restaurant ngayon.

guys, i think there are ready (microwavable) paellas in the market. sa tamad magluto, hehehe. try looking for frozen halal foods in the supermarket, there you see some paellas.

i remember a restaurant before along quirino ave in malate, INTOY'S, they also have the best paella i've tried though wala na yung restaurant ngayon.

i think barcino has this microwavable paellas. i just could exactly remember it, as my mind was focused on what we were already eating and drinking.

well, at least you tasted the good paella of Intoy's and will live in your memory...

have a good 1.

i am ok anytime past 730 since i have to pick up my daughter from her tutor. you seem to be busy this week by the scarcity of post.  let me know when you have a light schedule and i will build my schedule around it.

one thing nice about barcino is that they have the really expensive saffron and the reasonably priced one.  if you want a paella on the go... buy the premixed paella seasoning which they also carry.

next week, pare!

isn't it that saffron is also a mainstay of Indian cuisine?

next week, pare!

isn't it that saffron is also a mainstay of Indian cuisine?

am not just certain about saffron being a mainstay in Indian Cuisine. I really dont go much for that stuff except the few curries that my mother in law cooks. But it really seems logical since most spices used in Europe orginated from the east!!!

just let me know next week, bods! just in time for the wine savvy anniv!!!

a joint eb of 2 complementing threads.. same people too!

I really havent tried much of dulcinea's cuisine except for their pastries.  the candied fruits are the wife's favorite and the arguellanas.  The churros, as magaling pointed out in an earlier post may be mexican in origin.

Hey guys, I'm back.

During my last trip, finally, I was able to try churros in Madrid!

It seems it's easy enough to find them if you really try to. And since it wasn't really one of my all time favorites, my last trip was the first time I actually looked for churros in Spain. The trick is just to look for the "chocolaterias" or even most of the restaurants with "cafe y te" signages. I'm happy to report that the ones I've tried (I did so twice) are not so different from what they serve at Dulcinea's (by this, I mean the churros although the chocalate quite expectedly are mas puro).

Also tried to look for my favorite moritos but no luck this time around.

had lunch at minggoy's at the fort yesterday. the paella was excellent, but everything else was ordinary. the leche flan was disappointing as it was seemed like it was just defrosted in the microwave.

casa armas is still my fave.

I agree. Casa Armas is a very good Spanish Restaurant.

Pero if you're on a budget and just want decent Spanish fare, OK na rin ang Miggoy's at the Fort. Aside from the paellas, my other favorite there is the pollo al ajillo. Masarap din.

my wife and i did some "grocery-ing"  this late morning at barcino gourmetbarcino gourmet is located at the 2/f citygolf plaza, j. vargas street, pasig.  this place is owned by a couple who are so warm and friendly that they will help you go through your shopping while they narrate their personal experiences during their travels to spain.

Pards! Would you know if they have canned anguila there? Anguila is the baby eel cooked in garlic and olive oil. One of my favorites. I usually bring a few cans with me from each trip but I just can't have enough of it. Sana meron.

Hey guys, I'm back.

During my last trip, finally, I was able to try churros in Madrid! 

It seems it's easy enough to find them if you really try to.  And since it wasn't really one of my all time favorites, my last trip was the first time I actually looked for churros in Spain.  The trick is just to look for the "chocolaterias" or even most of the restaurants with "cafe y te" signages.  I'm happy to report that the ones I've tried (I did so twice) are not so different from what they serve at Dulcinea's (by this, I mean the churros although the chocalate quite expectedly are mas puro). 

Also tried to look for my favorite moritos but no luck this time around.

HI! Glad to know your back! And thank you for your post!!!! It is great to know that at least we can get the "near to the real deal" churros here and at Dulcinea's at that -- it's branches abound the Metro!

I havent tried the churros at Casa Armas although I see that they have a churros machine at their Podium branch.

Stick to this thread as bods and I are planning a wine and spanish food eb next week. I am sure we will learn alot from you on wine and dining customs and peculiarities of Spaniards.

Pards!  Would you know if they have canned anguila there?  Anguila is the baby eel cooked in garlic and olive oil.  One of my favorites.  I usually bring a few cans with me from each trip but I just can't have enough of it.  Sana meron.

all i can say, magaling, is that you really know how to eat!!! I used to get angula (that's how i read at menus) at La Tasca at Greenbelt. They prepare it just like you explained it, garlic and olive oil and top on some toasted baguette! I learned about this dish in the mid-90s when the Chairman of my japanese client was coming over and he requested for this specifically! So the Japanese expat living here and i scoured all the Spanish resto in town for a week in search of it!!! We ended up in La Tasca and they showed the can (size of canned anchovies in oil) with spanish marking on it. We tried the dish as well, since it was to be eaten by my client's boss, we had to make sure it was good and know how it tasted!!!

Casa armas, if i remember serves it in their resto. I checked with Barcino just a few minutes before replying to this post and they said that their shipment of canned angula will be arriving in September. Have you tried the Spanish deli at lower lobby of the Podium or La Tienda here in Makati?

What do you call that white nougat-y sweet from Spain that has nuts in it? Its sold in blocks much like chocolate and I remember it tastes really good but for the life of me I cannot remember what its called...

Sorry if this post is totally out of the blue and ... senseles... :D

you may be referring to the turron de alicante, chocolate, jijona etc. Your post is alright! We share info here.. we ask as well as we give.

When you get your turron, post back where you got it as we how you liked it!!!

Have a good 1

i think i saw those canned baby eels in terry's, podium.  i guess if you're looking for spanish pre-packed fare, that store is kind of complete.  the restaurant inside is not bad, either.

i've been to the place but was just looking around as i didnt have much in mind on what to buy. the place is huge...i just hope he could keep his overheads.

magaling, there you have it... try terry's! this is at the lower lobby of the podium..

Hey there Masi, nice thread. Like everyone here, I too enjoy Spanish food. I have my own recipe of paella which I'll post next time. Bods, Magaling, andito rin pala kayo.

Some notes and trivia: I remember eating Spanish food for the first time at Madrid on Edsa near the Polymedic back in the early 70s. It closed sometime in the 80s. Food was expensive here but my dad said he always came here because the owner always used he proper ingredients and neve scrimped. During the same time, Dulcinea had one branch on Mabini and one near the old Rizal theater in Makati where Shangri-la now stands. I think it was owned by an old Spanish couple then. It was basically coffee, tea and pastries. My favorites up to now are the ponchecito, the naranja, and the yemas.

I like the bacalao at La Tienda where one can also find the nougat at the deli occasionally. I hope someone will post a receipe for chicken Galantina.

I saw an earlier post about avocado. Try this: spread fresh avocado on a toast and sprinkle some salt.

There used to be a brand of turones sold in a circular can that was found only in Cebu. I can't remember the brand though.

Purefoods chorizo bilbao is more than suitable for paella. It is the torsillo which is getting difficult to find in the wet market.

Hey there Masi, nice thread. Like everyone here, I too enjoy Spanish food. I have my own recipe of paella which I'll post next time. Bods, Magaling, andito rin pala kayo.

Some notes and trivia: I remember eating Spanish food for the first time at Madrid on Edsa near the Polymedic back in the early 70s. It closed sometime in the 80s. Food was expensive here but my dad said he always came here because the owner always used he proper ingredients and neve scrimped.  During the same time, Dulcinea had one branch on Mabini and one near the old Rizal theater in Makati where Shangri-la now stands. I think it was owned by an old Spanish couple then.  It was basically coffee, tea and pastries. My favorites up to now are the ponchecito, the naranja, and the yemas.

I like the bacalao at La Tienda where one can also find the nougat at the deli occasionally. I hope someone will post a receipe for chicken Galantina.

I saw an earlier post about avocado. Try this: spread fresh avocado on a toast and sprinkle some salt.

There used to be a brand of turones sold in a circular can that was found only in Cebu. I can't remember the brand though.

Purefoods chorizo bilbao is more than suitable for paella. It is the torsillo which is getting difficult to find in the wet market.

Thanks! and more thanks for your inputs. This thread appreciate these. Well Bods and Magaling have been regulars here so much so that Bods and I meet up in this Spanish deli along J.Vargas in Pasig to enjoy some paella and/or tapas with spanish wines, which essentially turns out to be a joint-thread eb, with "wine savvy. Now, if we could just muster some turnout from other posters. Spurt joined us in one event.

Do let us know when you are in town, so bods and i can get something going.

i've seen the place although i haven't been to the place... what's good there?

Ate there over three years ago. Fairly decent, service was OK. Paella was a bit salty that time, but delicious nevertheless. Their callos truly melted in the mouth and you could actually feel the arteries harden with every bite. :D I don't know how good the food is there now. Anyone can give a quick review?

i've seen the place although i haven't been to the place... what's good there?

i haven't tried the callos in el circulo but they have a tapa version of the cochinillo which is so delicious! i also love their sofas. really comfy. i also like their sisig (crunchy and spicy) and they have lots of yummy desserts.

oh, hubby and i had dinner at alba's along morato a few nights ago and the manager was nice enough to allow us to take their buffet option even if we arrived at slightly after 10. (the buffet table is usually cleared at 10.) the chorizo paella was edible but the star of their spread was the cochinillo! the skin was crisp and tasty while the meat was so soft and juicy. the callos was also perfectly cooked. i also loved the canonigo - even if i liked the texture of that in casa armas better (much fluffier!), the canonigo in alba's tasted so well. it wasn't too sweet so i got to enjoy the sweet cream that came with it.

i haven't tried the callos in el circulo but they have a tapa version of the cochinillo which is so delicious! i also love their sofas. really comfy. i also like their sisig (crunchy and spicy) and they have lots of yummy desserts.

oh, hubby and i had dinner at alba's along morato a few nights ago and the manager was nice enough to allow us to take their buffet option even if we arrived at slightly after 10. (the buffet table is usually cleared at 10.) the chorizo paella was edible but the star of their spread was the cochinillo! the skin was crisp and tasty while the meat was so soft and juicy. the callos was also perfectly cooked. i also loved the canonigo - even if i liked the texture of that in casa armas better (much fluffier!), the canonigo in alba's tasted so well. it wasn't too sweet so i got to enjoy the sweet cream that came with it.

great post! i just had lunch and enjoying a smoke of a DJU as i read it! boy, that surely made me hungry :D cochinillo is really the best! i could eat it straight up with a good wine to match and nothing else! the part i like best about this dish is the ceremonial cutting with a plate..

Ate there over three years ago.  Fairly decent, service was OK.  Paella was a bit salty that time, but delicious nevertheless.  Their callos truly melted in the mouth and you could actually feel the arteries harden with every bite.  :D  I don't know how good the food is there now. Anyone can give a quick review?

speaking of hardening arteries, i gues i had my share of that... much as i like to eat, my cholesterol level is "maxed" out that i already feel guilty everytime i engage i food which has its fair share of salt and fat!