The Best Spanish Foods/Restaurant

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . which casa armas branch do you frequent?

we used to frequent their branch in jupiter. but now, their branch in greenbelt 2 is much more accessible from the office. so that's where we go on weekdays. on weekends, we go to their branch in podium as we live in QC.

their original branch in malate isn't bad, too. i just find it a bit too crowded.

we used to frequent their branch in jupiter. but now, their branch in greenbelt 2 is much more accessible from the office. so that's where we go on weekdays. on weekends, we go to their branch in podium as we live in QC.

their original branch in malate isn't bad, too. i just find it a bit too crowded.

the malate branch, which i think was the original, is quaint. small, warm and cozy. the first time i went to the malate branch several years, the spanish owner sat down with us and gave us a tablet of sardines in oil and garlic with some olives - truly a delight. this branch gives you a tavern type feeling, the other branches are truly restaurants.

Masi,

You should write a Book.  With all the knowledge you have with food, wine, watch etc. etc.  you should be a  gourmet, style..etc.etc arbiter.  Can't think of a proper name...basta lahat.EXPENSIVE.

:-)

NAH!!!! :thumbsdownsmiley: it's a hobby lang, madam!!! as i may have said in a different thread, my hobbies are too small to fit in my wallet!!! :lol:

but as far as the book is concerned... i have started writing my autobio, which included dining situations i encountered throughout my life. but sad to say, the light of inspiration to write at this time has extinguished.

thanks for your inputs!

had lunch at minggoy's at the fort yesterday. the paella was excellent, but everything else was ordinary. the leche flan was disappointing as it was seemed like it was just defrosted in the microwave.

casa armas is still my fave.

i stopped going to minggoy's after a mishap at their ortigas branch several years past. the food quality and service was really poor, and i am being polite. sayang, they were not able to sustain what they started. i was fond of them during their heyday. they had one outlet at magallanes.

it was no surprise to me reading on your misfortune. i have posted similar comments in the early pages of this thread.

you bet, casa armas is good! you should try la tienda, barcino's and patio guernica.

the malate branch, which i think was the original, is quaint.  small, warm and cozy.  the first time i went to the malate branch several years, the spanish owner sat down with us and gave us a tablet of sardines in oil and  garlic with some olives - truly a delight.  this branch gives you a tavern type feeling, the other branches are truly restaurants.

yup, the malate branch is the original branch. unfortunately, my asthmatic self cannot handle the smoke in tavern-like places.

NAH!!!! :thumbsdownsmiley:  it's a  hobby lang, madam!!!  as i may have said in a different thread, my hobbies are too small to fit in my wallet!!! :lol:

but as far as the book is concerned... i have started writing my autobio, which included dining situations i encountered throughout my life.  but sad to say, the light of  inspiration to write at this time has extinguished.

thanks for your inputs!

Merong mga tapas na nakita ko sa Deiscovery channel na wala dito, for example, the pig's ears. Do any of the spanish restso serve exotic tapas here?

Masi - ur old flame is your inspiration? LOL

What about Dulcinea? I think i would give them 3 stars for their paella and callos, and five satrs for their chocolate and churros.

DOn't you think we can do a rating game here? Pero by dish, not by restaurant kasi not all dishes are good.

Watcha think masi?

the malate branch, which i think was the original, is quaint.  small, warm and cozy.  the first time i went to the malate branch several years, the spanish owner sat down with us and gave us a tablet of sardines in oil and  garlic with some olives - truly a delight.  this branch gives you a tavern type feeling, the other branches are truly restaurants.

yeah. it's the first time that i've been in the restaurant wherein, while reading the menu, the waiter kept on trying to flip the pages for me. while i was reading he would put his finger on lunch and say, " iyan ang pang tanghalian namin." he was trying to be helpful, but it was a bit irritating. buti na lang i just came from a mega-productive business meeting that's why i didn't really mind.

i still haven't given up on minggoy's though. i'll give it one more shot and then if it's still subpar, i'll say goodbye to it. :)

yup, the malate branch is the original branch. unfortunately, my asthmatic self cannot handle the smoke in tavern-like places.

albet i smoke, i am pretty considerate to non-smokers especially to asthmatics. you may have to be particular in the restos you go to. good thing, there is a good picking of spanish restos in makati which strictly observe a non-smoking ordinance. :thumbsupsmiley: if i dine with my family, i pick the non-smoking section. but if i am out with friends for tapas, vino and alot of talk (oh yes! men make chismis more than you ever know! :lol:) , it has to be a smoking area!

yeah. it's the first time that i've been in the restaurant wherein, while reading the menu, the waiter kept on trying to flip the pages for me. while i was reading he would put his finger on lunch and say, " iyan ang pang tanghalian namin." he was trying to be helpful, but it was a bit irritating. buti na lang i just came from a mega-productive business meeting that's why i didn't really mind.

i still haven't given up on minggoy's though. i'll give it one more shot and then if it's still subpar, i'll say goodbye to it. :)

that could be a very irritating experience! :grr: unless you asked for a waiter's assistance, he should simply stand there and "wait" until you are ready to order. or if you want more time to read the menu you can politely tell him that you are not ready yet and you will call him at the appropriate time.

good luck on your next trip to minggoy's. i hope it's a pleasant one. share it here so that other's may know.

Merong mga tapas na nakita ko sa Deiscovery channel na wala dito, for example, the pig's ears. Do any of the spanish restso serve exotic tapas here?

Masi - ur old flame is your inspiration? LOL

What about Dulcinea?  I think i would give them 3 stars for their paella and callos, and five satrs for their chocolate and churros.

DOn't you think we can do a rating game here? Pero by dish, not by restaurant kasi not all dishes are good.

Watcha think masi?

thanks for posting!

how was the pig's ears cooked? well, in pampanga pig's ears are part of a favorite barchow mix know as "sisig" mixed with pig cheeks and brain. add a dash of a strong cane vinegar and we're in busiess!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

my old flame as an inspiration? pwede bang new fling?!!! HAHAHAHAHHA!!!! Ok back with the posting before i declare my rebuttal OT!

I really havent tried much of dulcinea's cuisine except for their pastries. the candied fruits are the wife's favorite and the arguellanas. The churros, as magaling pointed out in an earlier post may be mexican in origin.

I am not a food expert nor a critique so i may not know how to rate restos. but i sure know good food and a good place when i've been to one and on the other side, if i didnt have a particularly nice experience with a place, you will surely know. Feel free to post your ratings, i am sure this will spark some good exchanges!

my wife and i did some "grocery-ing" this late morning at barcino gourmet. barcino gourmet is located at the 2/f citygolf plaza, j. vargas street, pasig. this place is owned by a couple who are so warm and friendly that they will help you go through your shopping while they narrate their personal experiences during their travels to spain.

the wife picked a basket of goodies which we will give to a relative as a gift. we got a Carla Vallformosa Reserva Brut Cava (sparkling wine), a box of chapata, mousse de oca (goose liver pate), a tin of balacao ala vizcaina(cod fish), a tin of pulpo al ajillo (octopus in garlic) and turron de Jijona. we were told the the cava is europes best selling sparkling wine todate.

All the while my wife was picking her grocery, i was engaged in a conversatin with the husband-owner about wines and spanish food. how true spanish paella is made -- oh yes! they have all the ingredients there from non-polished long grain rice to the saffron, believed to be about the price of gold! he showed me a vacuum pack of jamon jabugo which he said that the fat melts in your hands as you eat the thin slices and the different chorizos they have. (i could feel my blood vessels tighten with the cholesterol! :lol: i hope that my cardiologist is not a mtc member otherwise, i'll be in trouble! :hypocritesmiley: ) we sifted through the owners personal wine collection as well.

barcino has a restaurant where bods1000, spurt and i recently had a great wine eb (check the thread, "wine savvy"). bods1000 and i had another eb where we consumed 2 bottles of spanish wines - a tempranillo and shiraz with a plate of spanish salami. we post our own reviews of the wines at the wine thread. you can consume the items you purchase there; enjoying good food, good wine and good conversation in a warm private and cozy environment.

i would surely recommend this place to friends anytime! perhaps, the next time i'll go there i would order a bottle of the sangria with the callos!

Edited by masi
Hmmm... it wasn't Minggoys. I don't know if the restaurant is still open today. It's been years since I passed by that area. It was in the building near Alabang-Zapote road/Madrigal Ave. intersection.

I think you are referring to Las Paellas de Alba. The paellas there are superb, maybe better than that

of Mingoy's.

Nice thread here Pareng Masi.

All the while my wife was picking her grocery, i was engaged in a conversatin with the husband-owner about wines and spanish food.  how true spanish paella is made  -- oh yes! they have all the ingredients there from non-polished long grain rice to the saffron, believed to be about the price of gold!  he showed me a vacuum pack of jamon jabugo which he said that the fat melts in your hands as you eat the thin slices and the different chorizos they have. (i could feel my blood vessels tighten with the cholesterol! :lol:  i hope that my cardiologist is not a mtc member otherwise, i'll be in trouble! :hypocritesmiley: ) we sifted through the owners personal wine collection as well.

barcino has a restaurant where bods1000, spurt and i recently had a great wine eb (check the thread, "wine savvy").  bods1000 and i had another eb where we consumed 2 bottles of spanish wines  - a tempranillo and shiraz with a plate of spanish salami.  we post our own reviews of the wines at the wine thread.  you can consume the items you purchase there; enjoying good food, good wine and good conversation in a warm private and cozy environment. 

i would surely recommend this place to friends anytime!  perhaps, the next time i'll go there i would order a bottle of the sangria with the callos!

say when, pare - callos is a great favorite!

saffron is so expensive because you only get a few grams of the spice from several kilos of the plant...

say when, pare - callos is a great favorite!

saffron is so expensive because you only get a few grams of the spice from several kilos of the plant...

i am ok anytime past 730 since i have to pick up my daughter from her tutor. you seem to be busy this week by the scarcity of post. let me know when you have a light schedule and i will build my schedule around it.

one thing nice about barcino is that they have the really expensive saffron and the reasonably priced one. if you want a paella on the go... buy the premixed paella seasoning which they also carry.

Good food, good wine. What's there to ask for? Good s-x! Hope we'll enjoy it all.

BTW, para hindi OT.  I won a free buffet lunch at Alba's here at Jupiter, will avail of it one of these days with the wifey, hope she enjoys it kaso lang lunch time baka mabitin lang. :-)

GOOD LUCK!!! Is all I can say!!! Make sure everything is right!!! Please send us a review of your dinner. What happens after, is yours to keep! :)