The Best Spanish Foods/Restaurant

spanish desserts... .any comments? or arent you guys into desserts?

my cousin who lived in spain a long time gave me the recipe for spanish flan ... ill hunt it up and post it here.

am not much into desserts as i have to keep my waistline at 30 inches. ;) after all that food i also find it hard where to place dessert... if ever i do, it's just a flan or canonigo (something really light) washed down with espresso.

do post the recipe... have a great 4th of July....

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as if you didn't know - wala nga akong alam sa Spanish eh - I thought that question was for masi :P

saka I don't go for desserts, not of any kind eewww...

I better stop eating all these onions and garlics and gingers to behave hehehe...

garlic and ginger are good for the heart and blood. make sure you get enough of it to define your stature as a man, bods..hehehehehe... you know what i mean... B)

dont take too much as dracula wouldnt even want to be close.... :boo:

am not much into desserts as i have to keep my waistline at 30 inches.  ;)  after all that food i also find it hard where to place dessert... if ever i do, it's just a flan or canonigo (something really light) washed down with espresso.

do post the recipe... have a great 4th of July....

buti ka pa 30 inches lang ang waistline mo ;)

but im the type kasi who would skimp on the main meal just so i have room enough for dessert....

i cannot remember when i last had canonigo - but its the baligtad of the flan right? eggwhites and an eggyolk based sauce? or am i mistaken.

anyways ... here is the flan recipe ... quick and simple (kaya ni uncle bods to!)

for one recipe, you will need --

12 eggyolks

2 cans of condensed milk

2 cans of evaporated milk

- beat the eggyolks till evenly mixed and stir in first the condensed milk.

- stir very well ensuring no clumps are left in the mixture

- after mixture is homogenous, stir in the evaporated milk until evenly blended

- pass the entire mixture through a strainer or cheesecloth

- prep individual ramekins or llanera by caramelizing some sugar (just take regular sugar and brown in a non stick pan) and pouring it to line the bottom of the cooking container

- pour in either individual ramekins or the ever trusty llanera

- cook for up to 40 minutes on a steamer; if using an oven, place ramekins or llanera on top of a cake pan with some water in it (to steam cook it)

- to determine done-ness, stick a toothpick in the middle of the flan GENTLY... the gauge to determine doneness is more visual ... the cooking time is just a guide.

- cool for a while before serving.

as an aside, when i make this flan i actually go ahead and add a couple of egg whites... i prefer my flans to be a bit more "airy" also, i dont overstrain the mixture as i dont really want it too smooth.

garlic and ginger are good for the heart and blood.  make sure you get enough of it to define your stature as a man, bods..hehehehehe... you know what i mean... B)

dont take too much as dracula wouldnt even want to be close.... :boo:

I've always liked garlic from way back; ginger just now. Lately I've found myself munching the ginger which serves as relish in our sushis- masarap pala :P

you gotta take a lot of tomatoes too, pare, as it's packed with lycopene, which is supposedly beneficial to the mojo :cool:

I've always liked garlic from way back; ginger just now. Lately I've found myself munching the ginger which serves as relish in our sushis- masarap pala :P

you gotta take a lot of tomatoes too, pare, as it's packed with lycopene, which is supposedly beneficial to the mojo :cool:

yes i like the shaving of ginger (yes i said that right), with my sushi...

noted the tomatos on my mojo...

what's Brazilian food like, anyway :unsure: Is it something like Portuguese?

Probably... and probably Portuguese food would be very similar to Spanish food since these countries are next door neighbors. But that's just all assumptions.

I saw paella negra get mentioned a couple of times here and now I remember my dad taking us to this Spanish restaurant in Alabang many years ago. Forgot the name, it was beside Alabang Town Center. I was late so my dad ordered for me... it was two types of paella in one plate - half negra, half the usual type of paella. It was real good but could have been better if I arrived earlier... medyo lumamig na e.

I think it's too much lycopene from all those tomatoes :rolleyes:

hahaha that must mean you are very mojo centered now? :P

:lol: sabi na eh lalabas ang mojo dito.

what the!....

quick and simple kaya ko but not with the flan hehehe.....

taga-kain lang ako, please ha :P

geeezzz uncle bods. you just mix and strain and steam... kaya mo yan! :D

Probably... and probably Portuguese food would be very similar to Spanish food since these countries are next door neighbors. But that's just all assumptions.

I saw paella negra get mentioned a couple of times here and now I remember my dad taking us to this Spanish restaurant in Alabang many years ago. Forgot the name, it was beside Alabang Town Center. I was late so my dad ordered for me... it was two types of paella in one plate - half negra, half the usual type of paella. It was real good but could have been better if I arrived earlier... medyo lumamig na e.

i promise to update you all. im having lunch at the brazillian place tomorrow... (later?) ....

you know paella nga isnt good if not eaten piping steaming hot. but that negra ... i dunno if i wanna try it again. it was, mildly put, a traumatic experience for me.... :sick:

does anyone remember dona nenas's? i think we ate there for my grade school graduation... spanish food dun diba?

Could that be Minggoy's, which is located at Casa Susana beside the ATC?

hahaha that must mean you are very mojo centered now? :P

:lol: sabi na eh lalabas ang mojo dito.

geeezzz uncle bods. you just mix and strain and steam... kaya mo yan! :D 

i promise to update you all. im having lunch at the brazillian place tomorrow... (later?) ....

you know paella nga isnt good if not eaten piping steaming hot. but that negra ... i dunno if i wanna try it again. it was, mildly put, a traumatic experience for me.... :sick:

does anyone remember dona nenas's? i think we ate there for my grade school graduation... spanish food dun diba?

mojo ka dyan! tomatoes are good for the health, period! that's why I love Italian and am now trying to indulge in Spanish :P

ehh - no time to mix and strain and steam, but I do love to try out recipes.....

the negra is best taken as a side dish with, perhaps a valenciana, since color black isnt exactly appetizing. well that's, at least how i take i. i couldnt order the negra as my main dish.

i remember dona nena, close to makati avenue and jupiter street. i think it was owned by bobong velez or his brother.

spanish desserts... .any comments? or arent you guys into desserts?

my cousin who lived in spain a long time gave me the recipe for spanish flan ... ill hunt it up and post it here.

Leche flan seems to be the most popular. It is actually very similar to the leche flan as we know it.

Cremas (their version of creme brulee) are also okay although each region seems to have their own version (Honestly, I don't know this for a fact. The only reason I said this was because I've tried crema catalan and crema madrileño. Different names but they all taste pretty much the same to me).

In Spain, I don't see a lot of desserts on the menu of most restaurants I've been to except for assorted cakes, pies and helados (that's home made ice cream for you). What we've done a couple of times after meals is to walk up to the nearest pasteleria for the usual suspects . . . pastillas, turrons, polvorons, etc.

Geez . . .you could walk into a pasteleria and find over a dozen different kinds of pastillas! Their polvorons are actually very creamy and not nearly as dry as our version. At yung turron, hindi iyon yung turon na saging ha! :lol: It's close to what we call turones (as in turones de casuy and turones de mani) in the Philippines.

I will be in Spain again later next week. Sana kung nandito ka sa Pinas, dadalhan kita ng pasalubong . . .Hehehe

the negra is best taken as a side dish with, perhaps a valenciana, since color black isnt exactly appetizing.  well that's, at least how i take i.  i couldnt order the negra as my main dish.

Another way to enjoy paella negra would be to take one or two scoops of mayo and mix it up with the rice before you eat it. I find that it enriches the flavor of the squid ink. But it's just me. Might be too weird for you guys but give it a shot . . .

the negra is best taken as a side dish with, perhaps a valenciana, since color black isnt exactly appetizing.  well that's, at least how i take i.  i couldnt order the negra as my main dish.

Here's a tip. I hope you don't mind.

If you're out on a date and there's just the two of you, ordering two types of paella might be too much. A good side dish that will go well with paella negra would be pollo al ajillo. At Minggoys, even my kids love the pollo al ajillo!

Leche flan seems to be the most popular.  It is actually very similar to the leche flan as we know it. 

Cremas (their version of creme brulee) are also okay although each region seems to have their own version (Honestly, I don't know this for a fact.  The only reason I said this was because I've tried crema catalan and crema madrileño.  Different names but they all taste pretty much the same to me). 

In Spain, I don't see a lot of desserts on the menu of most restaurants I've been to except for assorted cakes, pies and helados (that's home made ice cream for you).  What we've done a couple of times after meals is to walk up to the nearest pasteleria for the usual suspects . . . pastillas, turrons, polvorons, etc. 

Geez . . .you could walk into a pasteleria and find over a dozen different kinds of pastillas!  Their polvorons are actually very creamy and not nearly as dry as our version.  At yung turron, hindi iyon yung turon na saging ha! :lol:  It's close to what we call turones (as in turones de casuy and turones de mani) in the Philippines.

I will be in Spain again later next week.  Sana kung nandito ka sa Pinas, dadalhan kita ng pasalubong . . .Hehehe

have a safe trip...

i remember dona nena, close to makati avenue and jupiter street.  i think it was owned by bobong velez or his brother.

hmm yeah i guess thats a thought. i just found that dish so overwhelming... :)

thanks for that bit of info

I will be in Spain again later next week.  Sana kung nandito ka sa Pinas, dadalhan kita ng pasalubong . . .Hehehe

Lol thats like dangling a carrot in front of the bunny rabbit :D

Soon enuf... ;)

Another way to enjoy paella negra would be to take one or two scoops of mayo and mix it up with the rice before you eat it.  I find that it enriches the flavor of the squid ink.  But it's just me.  Might be too weird for you guys but give it a shot . . .

Mayo? Ulk. Sige. Ill keep that in mind... ive a feeling it might not be for me... But im open...

Another way to enjoy paella negra would be to take one or two scoops of mayo and mix it up with the rice before you eat it.  I find that it enriches the flavor of the squid ink.  But it's just me.  Might be too weird for you guys but give it a shot . . .

pretty unusual for a dish... i shy away from mayo because of high cholesterol in my blood stream. my wife attributes this to the jamon and chorizos that i have consumed.

I'm not much into spanish pero okey lang since my hubby is so into it (aside from japanese).. kahit saan okey din lang.. but my favorite is the black paella.. just be cautious though whenever you smile kse baka black na rin teeth mo. :P

Edited by black cat
pretty unusual for a dish... i shy away from mayo because of high cholesterol in my blood stream. my wife attributes this to the jamon and chorizos that i have consumed.

Hahahaha! Yes, all that jamon and chorizo will eventually take their toll on you (or should I say us?). Yung chorizo pa naman, talagang napaka-sebo niyan! :P Yung jamon naman, has at least ten times more sodium than what your doctor would allow. :cry:

I was going to suggest low fat mayo. But I know it's not the same thing. For me, low fat and low sodium also translate to low taste :cry: Personally, kapag may bawal sa akin, I'd rather abstain completely rather than go for a poor substitute (this rule only applies to food, mind you. With most everything else, it's fair game :evil: ).

I'm not much into spanish pero okey lang since my hubby is so into it (aside from japanese).. kahit saan okey din lang.. but my favorite is the black paella.. just be cautious though whenever you smile kse baka black na rin teeth mo. :P

hi black cat.. glad to see you here!!!! yes you are truly correct!!! the last thing you would want is play smiley cutie with your date after eating paella negra... :boo: well, if he ate some of it too, 2 na kayo itim ang ipin... :thumbsupsmiley:

Hahahaha!  Yes, all that jamon and chorizo will eventually take their toll on you (or should I say us?).  Yung chorizo pa naman, talagang napaka-sebo niyan! :P  Yung jamon naman, has at least ten times more sodium than what your doctor would allow.  :cry:

I was going to suggest low fat mayo. But I know it's not the same thing.  For me, low fat and low sodium also  translate to low taste  :cry:  Personally, kapag may bawal sa akin, I'd rather abstain completely rather than go for a poor substitute (this rule only applies to food, mind you.  With most everything else, it's fair game :evil: ).

wherever high cholesterol appears it tags along its buddy, cardiovascular disease. the salt in the jamon will wreak havoc in heart while the while the fat in the chorizo leads to LDL in the blood stream.. just like a laurel and hardy tandam... but no laughing matter. we're not yet talking of the cheeses, the anchovies, sardines, etc...

good that this thread is tied to the wine savvy thread... the wine makes our hearts healthy.