Computer Troubleshooting And Repair

I have a problem with Internet Explorer. When I click on links on the current window I'm accessing, it opens a new window. When I close that window, Internet Explorer hangs, an error message pops up and both browser windows closes.

What do I do (aside from using Firefox instead)?

i'm no tech guru but sometimes i get stumped by simple issues and right now i need some help ...

i've got an ibm thinkpad r50e with a 40gb hd ...

i want to upgrade it to at least 120gb ...

my questions are :

1 - is my laptop hd an ide, sata, pata ? how do i tell ? i presume its of the 2.5" size

2 - i've got an old desktop with 20gb and 40gb hd, i know this is an ide 3.5 drive, what do i need so that i can connect it to my laptop so that i can still access some of my old projects saved onto them ?

3 - considering i already got a 120g hd, i want to transfer the contents of the existing 40gb hd without re-installing. is it possible ? right now it is partitioned as follows : 20gb (winxp), 10gb (data), 10gb (ubuntu). i want to transfer it to the new 120gb as follows : 60gb (winxp), 40gb (data), 20gb (ubuntu). what will i need ?

4 - continuing from #3, after replacing the 40gb with 120gb what will i need so that i can still use the 40gb as an external drive?

thanks in advance.

Edited by james_bandido
i need help...

can anyone recommend to me DATA RECOVERY company or individual, who can recover my damaged external Hard Disk. i'm willing to pay.

thanks in advance...

if it's still detected then its possible to be recovered by using getdataback, if not then I dont think we have drivesavers here in PI.

I have a problem with Internet Explorer. When I click on links on the current window I'm accessing, it opens a new window. When I close that window, Internet Explorer hangs, an error message pops up and both browser windows closes.

What do I do (aside from using Firefox instead)?

try mo muna i-scan yung PC mo for viruses and spyware and check if this issue persists.

kung persisting pa din, try to install a newer version of IE.

and yes, try other browsers....

i'm no tech guru but sometimes i get stumped by simple issues and right now i need some help ...

i've got an ibm thinkpad r50e with a 40gb hd ...

i want to upgrade it to at least 120gb ...

my questions are :

1 - is my laptop hd an ide, sata, pata ? how do i tell ? i presume its of the 2.5" size. Imho, ThinkPad R50e's hard disk is Ultra ATA or an improved IDE.

2 - i've got an old desktop with 20gb and 40gb hd, i know this is an ide 3.5 drive, what do i need so that i can connect it to my laptop so that i can still access some of my old projects saved onto them ? - an external hard disk enclosure that you can connect via USB.

3 - considering i already got a 120g hd, i want to transfer the contents of the existing 40gb hd without re-installing. is it possible ? right now it is partitioned as follows : 20gb (winxp), 10gb (data), 10gb (ubuntu). i want to transfer it to the new 120gb as follows : 60gb (winxp), 40gb (data), 20gb (ubuntu). what will i need ? - for files, just click and drag. you would only need re-installation for operating systems and drivers which i assume you already have as you've mentioned.

4 - continuing from #3, after replacing the 40gb with 120gb what will i need so that i can still use the 40gb as an external drive? - again, the external hard disk enclosure.

thanks in advance.

[/b]

replies above in bold.

Question lang po: Is it ok to install SP3 without installing SP2? Or is it mandatory for the SP2 to be installed first before SP3? Many thanks again guys!

installing SP3 without installing SP2 may create some driver and dll conflicts in your OS. i would not recommend this.

My Yahoo Messenger says I have 26 new mail messages but when I open yahoo mail there are no new messages.? even i did refresh na. wla talagang new mail message. how do i solve this problem? tnx for any help. :unsure:

i have not experienced this. but can you try to disconnect YM first, and clear your browser tapos connect ka ulit sa YM. baka connected yung cache ng browser sa YM eh.

I see. Thanks a lot man! :thumbsupsmiley:

By the way, do you know about System Mechanic?

Is this better than TuneUp Utilities?

Thanks a lot Google! :ninja:

i've used TU and SM before, and based on hands-on experience, i prefer TU.

but it would depend on the user, so i would just suggest that you download both and evaluate them both and see what suits your needs and what you are comfortable in using.

I see. From the outset, it seems that SM has the advantage. Given that it also has other utilities like a firewall, anti-virus, etc. :zorro:

So do you think that this in itself would make SM more advantageous than TU? :blink:

Muchas gracias senhor Google! ;)

features wise, admittedly, SM is at edge, but as i've said earlier, it would depend on each user's preference. given the fact that the bottom line is systems maintenance, TU does the job well. On these additional features for SM, yes, they are really important and handy and may be preferred if you really hate to have another software to do your cookies, to have your firewall, etc. But for me personally, there are better software that can do this (e.g. Norton Firewall and AV suites, etc.)

another thing that i like with TU is its simple interface.

My Yahoo Messenger says I have 26 new mail messages but when I open yahoo mail there are no new messages.? even i did refresh na. wla talagang new mail message. how do i solve this problem? tnx for any help. :unsure:

is it possible they (26) are in the spam/junk mail folder??? :rolleyes:

will upgradring to a 64 from a 32 bit windows xp improve my system performance??? i have a pentium d processor??? Will it be faster in Pc games???

will upgradring to a 64 from a 32 bit windows xp improve my system performance??? i have a pentium d processor??? Will it be faster in Pc games???

Help

Help

most games you will not notice anything. plus you cant run 32 bit games on a 64 bit OS unless the OS has that 32bit compatiblity trans-whatchamacallit. im not sure if XP 64 has that. google it my friend. but as a general rule, 64 bit programs for 64 bit OSes on 64 bit systems.

“SP3 will do nothing for XP, but still more than what SP1 will do for Vista - The third and final service pack for Windows XP will do little to nothing for the operating system.” XP users with SP3 would hardly noticed any changes :-)

well not that SP3 wont "really" do anything. if you update frequently from windows updates then SP3 wont really do much since SP3, like all MS service packs, is mostly a collection of updates with some minor functionality installed or removed or modified (think windows search 4.0 and a lot of the security architecture of vista finally installed on XP). SP3 contains all of the current updates to XP from SP2 PLUS as i mentioned windows search 4.0 (removing the ugly and slow builtin XP search), an updated driver handling model (less BSODs), a modified tcp stack (better internet for you), some of vistas security architectural advances, and better memory handling. so its not totally WILL DO NOTHING. if you want the PLUSes then by all means install SP3 especially if your OS is fairly updated (around 135MB lang pag up to date yung XP mo)

as to vista... better stability lang mostly with vista and under the hood updates that most people will not see nor appreciate. but vista SP1 does a lot.

Question lang po: Is it ok to install SP3 without installing SP2? Or is it mandatory for the SP2 to be installed first before SP3? Many thanks again guys!

minimum SP1 but as "google" has said, youre prone to have conflicts when you install such a large update all at once. best done incrementally, which means install SP2 first. then run windows update and install most of the updates avoiding selecting SP3, then when there's nothing left to install other than install SP3, install SP3.

guys,

If i have a Cisco 805 router at the main office, what Router model i should have for my branches?

anyone can help me configure on this one?

It depends on the WAN interface that you have. The model is dependent on the type of interface that the router has. This model uses a serial connection then the other router for your branches should support the interface. Another 805 would be best if not available maraming surplus na 2500 series just make sure serial yung interface.

is it possible they (26) are in the spam/junk mail folder??? :rolleyes:

could be. but as far as i know, YM's link to Yahoo Mail is with the inbox. why don't you try to empty the spam folder first and check it out.

Help

i don't think so in playing games, but applications may run faster.

consider also poppin's opinion.

Help

here's the catch here bro,you can only upgrade to 64bit OS if your proc and MOBO is capable of it. If your proc is 64 bit then go but make sure that you can find drivers of your PC that can go for 64 bit too. It's the driver who will suffer once you upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit.

i'm using xp. what is the correct time zone for the philippines? i chose gmt +8:00 hongkong - china time (i thought being the nearest) but after a few hours, the time i have in my pc is delayed. i keep adjusting it.

also, do i have to check the automatically synchronize with an internet time server. tia.