Computer Troubleshooting And Repair

I'm planning to revive my mother's dead Toshiba Satellite A10 unit. I've found where I can buy some of the needed parts but there are still parts I need. Would any of you know where I can find them?

- Battery Pack - This is really for replacement. Its really dead.

- Keyboard - The A10 line was released like more than five years ago. this would surely not be available through toshiba. If I can't find this, I'll be forced to buy a mini keyboard wherever the laptop goes or try to do intensive repairs and restoration with the current keyboard.

These are the basic parts. I could choose not to upgrade its ram and install a wi-fi card later when I get more funds.

But recent;y, I've been thinking of buying a brand new low-end laptop.

I'm just finding out the cost if it balances between time and money. Kung low-end laptop kasi, I'll be saving up precious time trying rather than to repair the relic but If I push through with the FrankenToshiba Project, It'd be saving me real money.

Also comparing the two, I noticed the UMPCs have a price tag of around 20K to 25K while the low-end Neo models go for around 27K. If the cost for repairs on the relic would cost me half of that in parts plus my time repairing it, I'd have to go for at least a umpc.

So far, the HD would pitch for 2500 (120GB) to 3000 (160 GB). 1350 if I choose to use a surplus HDD from a surplus shop with 20GB HD space but that would be too small for me. Hehehe.

So, if the items listed above would add up to around 8K to 10K, I think I'll just save the Frankentoshiba Project for later.

bro yun hard disc kung malapit ka d2 sa rizal area sa floodway cainta rizal may surplusan ng pc dun Tesalonika ata pangalan malapit sa tulay , isa pa sa HMR sa may pioneer sa mandaluyong dami din surplus na parts dun, mura din,yung batt, i repack mo nalang or sa may kabila ng raon sa dulopag lampas mo ng katana spa sa tapat ngdelicious resto my tindahan na puro batt. lang tinda pwede ka hanap ng replacement or parepack mo, nag tanong ako nun batt ng sony handycam 900 to 1.5k daw depende, d ko lang alam yun sa laptop pero sure lahat halos ng batt pack nag rerepack sila.......yun lang sana maka2long.....

have the battery repacked. mukhang wala ka ng makikitang ganyang battery.

kuha ka na lang ng UMPC. I got one last week for 8.5k lang, brand new. imho, restoring your laptop is not worth the effort.

Dude, how much do you think would it cost me kung ipapa repack ko yung battery?

Yeah, I think I'll settle with a UMPC. . . Or maybe a full-sized laptop kung mura din naman. Saan ka nakabili ng 8.5k na UMPC? Anong Brand? Care to share the details? Kung ganyan kamura, yung ganyan na rin ang bibilhin ko. Hehehe.

I'll just revive the old relic later when I've got more time (as a hobby) para may laptop din si misis. Hehehe.

@Vhatibot

Thanks for the info Dude.

Dude, how much do you think would it cost me kung ipapa repack ko yung battery?

Yeah, I think I'll settle with a UMPC. . . Or maybe a full-sized laptop kung mura din naman. Saan ka nakabili ng 8.5k na UMPC? Anong Brand? Care to share the details? Kung ganyan kamura, yung ganyan na rin ang bibilhin ko. Hehehe.

I'll just revive the old relic later when I've got more time (as a hobby) para may laptop din si misis. Hehehe.

@Vhatibot

Thanks for the info Dude.

got it from TPC. a reseller. Blue UMPC. With 60 GB DASD, 1 GB RAM and WinXP home.

• 2 weeks later...

Sir question po. Attached pix is one of my memory for my laptop, now I want to upgrade and buy a new single 2GB memory card but dont know which one.

Sabi ng friends ko 2GB DDR II 667MHz ang kaparehas nito. Any advice please?

Its a Compaq Centrino Duo bought around 2006 in Dubai. If I put 2 pcs of 2GB of Memory, ok lang po ba? Salamat po. :mtc:

post-205574-1239484694.jpg

hi guys.. just want to ask what's the difference between IDE and SATA hard drives? thanks. :)

first yung attached cable nila...yung sa ide parang belt, sa SATA parang manipis...second medyo mabilis nang konti yung sata and support nang sata up to 10000rpm. pero depende pa rin kung support nang motherboard mo ang sata.

Sir question po. Attached pix is one of my memory for my laptop, now I want to upgrade and buy a new single 2GB memory card but dont know which one.

Sabi ng friends ko 2GB DDR II 667MHz ang kaparehas nito. Any advice please?

Its a Compaq Centrino Duo bought around 2006 in Dubai. If I put 2 pcs of 2GB of Memory, ok lang po ba? Salamat po. :mtc:

first check mo muna yung manual or website kung hanggang ilan o kaya support na memory nang laptop mo. baka 2 gig lang ang kaya? ilan ba ang memory slot niyan? etc....yung picture kasi nakalagaqay 512MB DDR2 533. so ibig sabihin niyan puede mo lang bilhin ay ddr2 533, kasi mali ang sabi nang friend mo na 667, baka hindi gumana kung lalagyan mo nang 667. so better check din sa compaq supplier na compatible na memory para sa laptop mo, hindi lahat nang memory puede dyan.

Bro, tanong ko lang po kc ung NOD32 ko block nya laht ng website. (forbidden) d n ako makapag internet s home. Pano po ttangalin ung pag block ng NOD 32. thanks :unsure: :unsure:

or kaya check mo Advanced Setup ng NOD32 then find "exclusion" - dun pwede mo ilagay mga files. folders and others files na pwede ignore while/during scanning and cleaning - nakakabagal kc ng performance ng pc minsan pero be aware sa mga viruses..

hi guys.. just want to ask what's the difference between IDE and SATA hard drives? thanks. :)

Umm, the biggest difference is that IDE is being Phased out. Its getting kinda rare to find a dependable brand new IDE HDD. SATA HDDs are the currently mass produced ones. Mas madali humanap na pamalit kung sakaling gusto mong palitan.

Meron pa rin namang makikitang mga IDE HDDs kaso kadalasan, mga surplus na lang. So, chambahan ang quality.

bossing, question po.

my computer picked up a WGA upgrade but i didn't install it. when prompted to install, i canceled.

now, everytime i boot up, the WGA notice is there prompting me to install the upgrade.

is there away to get rid of it?

any advice or help would be appreciated.

tia!

Laptop is a Compaq Presario c500. Nahulog siya. Umandar pero yung display has shifted to the left and to upwards. Baka puwede ma tulongan.

Everything is okay. Except for the display. Yung laptop kasi walang dial unlike sa CRT na may horizontal at vertical control. At yung mga bago may mga auto setting.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/puretuts/DSC_0447.jpg

already tried crl+alt+ arrow keys

does not work.

i also re-installed the driver of the videocard, ganoon pa rin.

already tried and external monitor both lcd and crt, the display is normal. I made a screenshot normal din ang labas. I had to use my cam to get a picture.

Laptop is a Compaq Presario c500. Nahulog siya. Umandar pero yung display has shifted to the left and to upwards. Baka puwede ma tulongan.

Everything is okay. Except for the display. Yung laptop kasi walang dial unlike sa CRT na may horizontal at vertical control. At yung mga bago may mga auto setting.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/puretuts/DSC_0447.jpg

already tried crl+alt+ arrow keys

does not work.

i also re-installed the driver of the videocard, ganoon pa rin.

already tried and external monitor both lcd and crt, the display is normal. I made a screenshot normal din ang labas. I had to use my cam to get a picture.

since nahulog sya and you've tried using an external monitor, most probably, may natanggal o nasira syang internals.... take it to a repair shop.