Thanks for the offer. However, I don't have the patience and don't have the time. I just like fish, want an aquarium in the office and want to hire someone to set it up and maintain it. I was told I could find someone for around 1000 a month if they come once a week. A guy at Megamall told me he would do it for 700 a month but I don't know how much he really knows.

lonely, thanks also for the advise but I didn't understand a lot of it...

MY opinion atleast the person that would maintain the tank must be someone who could check the tank on a regular basis or someone that is from your office

cause saltwater aquariums water parameters change drasticly

especially if a coral or any invertebrate nor a fish would die ammonia levels would shoot very high you shul also take note the salinity and ph level of the water but if youve cycled the

water enough

and biological filtration is at its best you wont have any problems

just the regular water additions because saltwater tend to evaporate faster and be careful where you place your tank because saltwater aquariums sometimes affect electronics

• 2 weeks later...

wher can one buy good quality discus fish ?? I used to breed them before kaya lang walang mabili na small ones ( approx. 1 inch in dia.). They are cheap yo buy ( mga less than 100 @) and masarap palakihin . Am looking color blue variety. Sa Cartimar meron but they look sick at ubod ng mahal.

Baka may mga breeders pa dito ? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
wher can one buy good quality discus fish ?? I used to breed them before kaya lang walang mabili na small ones ( approx. 1 inch in dia.). They are cheap yo buy ( mga less than 100 @) and masarap palakihin . Am looking color blue variety. Sa Cartimar meron but they look sick at ubod ng mahal.

Baka may mga breeders pa dito ? Thanks

There is one breeder along Pedro Gil street near the Iglesia ni Cristo his name is Robert Chang he operates a small canteen in front of the Iglesia chuch.

If you want to know about reef aquariums go to Majestic Biological Collections in Cartimar. I know Cartimar is being torn down , but the store might still be there. Look for Romy Liwag, or his wife Geny. tel: 833 8345. I used to be in that hobby ten(10) plus years ago.

It needs a lot of dedication , patience, and money to maintain a reef aquarium.

hello po sa mga mtc members bago lang po me d2

i want to ask, cno po nakaka alam kung pano gumawa ng tubig alat kasi po gusto ko mag alaga ng clown fish eh 2big alat daw po un pumunta me cartimar d namn cnabi sakin kung pano gawin ung 2big alat sana matulungan nyo po me. thanks

dude mahirap mag-maintain ng saltwater aquarium. isang brownout lang... dedo isda mo. unless nkatira ka sa batangas or sa malapit sa dagat.

anyway, for starters. you need a powerful filter a bigger than usual tank, a skimmer, most of all a very powerful Metal Halide Lamp, basta malakas na ilaw para kumulay ang isda mo. ska bawal yung rock salt na nabibili sa palengke. most of them kasi may Iodine na. its best to get some sa cavite. yung fresh salt pa lang. mga 2:1~3:1 yung ratio ng water to salt. then get some live rock sa mga beach or resort para mabuhay ang aquarium mo.

it takes a lot of research and most of the time trial and error lang to make it perfect. kahit ang bio research hirap i-maintain ang kanilang tank.

dude mahirap mag-maintain ng saltwater aquarium. isang brownout lang... dedo isda mo. unless nkatira ka sa batangas or sa malapit sa dagat.

anyway, for starters. you need a powerful filter a bigger than usual tank, a skimmer, most of all a very powerful Metal Halide Lamp, basta malakas na ilaw para kumulay ang isda mo. ska bawal yung rock salt na nabibili sa palengke. most of them kasi may Iodine na. its best to get some sa cavite. yung fresh salt pa lang. mga 2:1~3:1 yung ratio ng water to salt. then get some live rock sa mga beach or resort para mabuhay ang aquarium mo.

it takes a lot of research and most of the time trial and error lang to make it perfect. kahit ang bio research hirap i-maintain ang kanilang tank.

duh... <_< sorry bro but I feel I have to correct some misconceptions that people might get from your statements:

1. I've never lost fishes due to brownout unless it's over 12 hours and if that were the case, it's the same as with freshwater fishes as well. Without oxygen all fishes die regardless of whether it's freshwater or marine. In instances like this, that's why there are a lot of battery operated air pumps.

2. Powerful filter, I'm assuming you're referring to mechanical filters like Eheim canisters and the like? For a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) or fish only tank, heck, I've seen people use overhead filters and they're doing okay. Does this mean that this is what I am expousing, no, but it can be done. Best filtration is really biological using either live rock or a DSB (deep sand bed).

3. bigger than usual tank? Not really, you can see a lot of nanotanks cropping up, for a fish only, it's not difficult but for a reef tank, yes, I would advice to stick with at least a 50-100 gallon tank. Still, that size range isn't bigger than usual. What is highly recommended is to get a sump tank which is another tank of smaller or equal size to place your skimmer, DSB etc in. Not that difficult to do except that you'd have to do some plumbing work of course with piping etc.

4. Yes, I agree a skimmer is very important, in fact, one of the most essential as far as I'm concerned. However, if one doesn't want to use a skimmer, it is possible, except that one has to do water changes of around 5-10% every other day or every 3 days.

5. Metal halides for fish? Sorry but that's nothing but BS. MH fixtures are used for reef tanks only, and even then, not all reef tanks, just SPS dominated tanks, a softies tank can make do with T5 fluorescent bulbs. For a FOWLR or fish only, a couple of lights just for aesthetics is fine, fish do not need lighting to survive, they are not photosynthetic mind you and coloration is not tied to the use of metal halide lights.

6. Sorry but do not understand the 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. If you are saying that you can use fresh salt crushed from the sea(whatever that is...) I think I now know why you fishes are dying 'cuz one cannot predict the cleanliness of such products. One can always buy NSW (natural seawater) from Carti which is just 2 buck a gallon. If not, you can buy the local saltmix available at a lot fo marine fish stores, yung blue ata yung plastic bag nyan. However, for better quality salt mixes, you can use Tropic Marin or Instant Ocean or even Sera. Do not use local salt mix for a reef tank, definitely pang fish lang yan.

7. Trial and error? No, so long as you a little patience, are willing to research and do things right, quarantine fishes properly, I do not see why one would fail in maintaining a very healthy marine aquarium. No need for trial and error in this bro... :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by crazy8
  • 2 weeks later...
GUYS, who among you tried or have piranhas?

may contact b kyo san makakabili? or where?

tnx

I've been keeping 'pogi's for more than 2 years now. I have 7 pairs though i don't know for sure if they're really pairs. hehehe. they're fun to watch, mostly shy creatures but on feeding times, frenzied. :thumbsupsmiley:

saan makakabili ? tanong tanong k lng jan sa tabi tabi. :rolleyes:

I've been keeping 'pogi's for more than 2 years now. I have 7 pairs though i don't know for sure if they're really pairs. hehehe. they're fun to watch, mostly shy creatures but on feeding times, frenzied. :thumbsupsmiley:

saan makakabili ? tanong tanong k lng jan sa tabi tabi. :rolleyes:

anyone breeds dragon fins here? my flowerhorn just died and i'm trying dragon fins- any tips on what to feed?

• 2 weeks later...