Guitar Talk

i love strats...

the hollowbody is an ibanez artcore... just wanted something i can play jazz on, with a convincing enough tone. wanted a gibson, couldn't afford it...with the artcore, under $400, slap on a set of flatwound strings, i'm good to go.

the three strats are not my main ones, i have a picture of a US strat somewhere...couldn't find it.

i'm more into jimi hendrix and SRV, that's why i have lots of strats.

as far as other gear, will post my pedal setup and my amps soon...Rock On!

post-13817-1221575428.jpg

post-13817-1221575452.jpg

post-13817-1221575472.jpg

Nice strats. I like the black one with the locking tremolo. Ever thought about having the fretboard scallopped ala Yngwie Malmsteen?

i don't know, not really my thing bro..i'm more of a blues/rock player y' know?

i use a variety of string gauges, but mostly .010s-.046 for my standard strats, .011s for the artcore and .009 for the black floydded strat....baka d umubra ng scalloped fretboard sa .010s eh.

hirap na nga ako sa regular eh. :goatee:

It's good to know that there are guitar players here!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Here's my gear pic:

Dean 79 V

Marhsall MG50DFX

Couple of Fender California cables

I got rid of the Boss ME-33, not really a pedal fan. So now I only have a Morley Bad Horsie II wah in between.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1041/1162041633_3dba5e8ae2.jpg

Edited by bendedbeam

RJ has an on-going sale now.

From what I know, he's selling a few Washburn models packaged with a 10 watt amp for around 9TH or less.

Of course, those Washburns are MIC and the models come equipped with a licensed Floyd

or a regular Trem.

A couple Peavey Tele copies are sold at a discount too.

meron bang mabibili na isang set na( guitar w/ amp)? yung below 10k lang...

d kasi kaya ng budget ko eh... <_< <_<

ang gamit ko kasi ngayon pc software lang at isang lumang guitar... <_< <_<

10 yrs na ata sakin tong gitarang to.. imitation ng strat.. :lol:

I believe Boston engineering is in the same league as Daphon or Century and made or assembled in China or Taiwan. These are usually lower priced ( so much lower ) than the more known branded ones - filling up a niche in the market that definitely exists and for many years was generally neglected by the major manufacturers.

Not totally sure about it but a few of these companies manufacture effects pedals as well that use schematics from already existing and popular brands such as Boss. That being the case, it is not far off to assume that they probably use schematics of known amplifiers as well.

However, my own personal opinion is that PhP 17,500 is a bit heavy for that brand-- at least I won't readily buy it since it's very possible to get a branded one at just about the same range perhaps even a very one at the "pre-Owned" in a music classified Ads section. I'd look around first. JB Music has some Laneys that come to mind. BTW, JB Music and Salonga's are, if I am correct-- related. The family that owns JB and Salonga's also own the brand "Fernando".

I for one needed a an extra amp for my studio since I get a lot of visitors who want to jam during the weekends. I needed a solid state amplifier that wasn't too expensive but loud enough to keep up with my Fenders. I checked around and decided to buy a Behringer GMX 210-- with TWO 10 inch Jensen speakers with a foot switch for it's 2 channels. That was 2 years ago and the thing has not shown the slightest signs of breaking down. I'm very happy with it. Cost me PhP 9,000.

Lastly, in the end it is you whose opinion will matter the most. Try it out for yourself and if you like what you hear and see-- then by all means go for it. As with many gear, it becomes a matter of preference.

may brand ng guitar amp sa Salonga Music Store na "Boston Engineering" ang brand na Sale. anyone know if the brand is good? 65 Watts with sound distortion P12th. Orig Price P17500
Edited by 16track

I thought I was done with Strats.

Got a Les Paul, a Tele, a Gretsch and an SG.

The other day, I just could not help it. While I love my Gretsch and LP to the bone--I knew there was a sound I was missing. Can't help it so I just went out and got an MIJ Fender. It was just like finding an old friend.

Cheers to all Strat owners! May we never part with them again. :lol:

I thought I was done with Strats.

Got a Les Paul, a Tele, a Gretsch and an SG.

The other day, I just could not help it. While I love my Gretsch and LP to the bone--I knew there was a sound I was missing. Can't help it so I just went out and got an MIJ Fender. It was just like finding an old friend.

Cheers to all Strat owners! May we never part with them again. :lol:

Here! Here! I agree with you bro. I'va had flying V's, 7 strings, les paul rip off's but when I cradled a strat in my arms again it just felt so right. It feels like coming back to the place you grew up in. There's a certain nostalgic air to it.

May strats live long and prosper. lol

hi blues2death,

yun black strat mo with locking trem...yan ba yun mid 90s MIJ? orig floyd ba yun?

a hindi MIJ yan, pero nagkaroon din ako nyan noon.Di ba foto-flame finish yun? And I remember it having a floyd rose II noon.I sold it before coming here to the states.

That black strat has an original Floyd and I changed the stock HB bridge pickup with a Dimarzio EJ custom(eric johnson nga daw). Stock pa din ang neck and middle pickups.

MIM sya. I bought it, so I can replace the MIJ that I sold.

here's my gear:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb112/Lanzar79/gear.jpg

(from left to right)

1. epiphone les paul standard (

>old picture, i already modified to all black hardware and EMG 81/85 active PUs

2. dean hardtail standard

> already made modifications to this axe since the time of this photo. metal chrome PU rings, Seymour Duncan Distortion Bridge, Tribal Knobs, straploks)

3. ibanez 7420 7-string MIJ

> im selling this one by Sunday, unfortunately. it has been my main axe before I got the les paul and the hardtail. we had some pretty good times, *sniff* *sniff*

4. behringer V-tone gmx212 120w stereo (60w x 2)

> what i like about this amp is that it goes perfectly with multi-effects since it has stereo (L/R) slave in at the back. it has three pretty good overdrive settings too if just plugged in directly, and also a 24-bit fx processor so choruses, delays, flanges are already built in. pretty handy if im lazy to bring my line6 podxtl

5. line 6 pod xt live

> imo, this is still the better multi than the pod x3 live. this one has a more rigid structure, less prone to software glitches, and it looks badass like fukn imperial intergalactic fleet destroyer. i got the metal shop, fx junkie, and other patches with it. the best thing about this gear aside from its massive sound is the fact that you can plug it directly to your pc via usb. record the guitar tracks, then plug in a bass to record parts, download "drumsite" and track the percussion parts... and you got a song.

Edited by jay_lanz
hi jay,

can you use the line 6 pod xt directly to PC? im planning to start my personal home recording "studio" and im on a budget since im a beginner. just wanna try out a couple of gadgets first.

im totally clueless how to begin this project. help!

hey man,

the answer is a resounding "yes". take note that pod xt and podxt live are two different products with practically almost similar capabilities. what so great about having pox xt, pod xt live, and all other line 6 effects is that you can download your patches from the internet or share patch settings with friends. i.e. you can replicate the same crunch tone or whammy effect I have with just a click of a button. The primary purpose of the USB connection is for the user to be able tweak your patch settings with ease using the computer via a sofware called Line 6 Edit and save your library in another software called Gearbox. You can also record your own riffs thru another Line 6 software called Riffworks 2, which you will still need to buy from the site but I recommend not to.

on recording your stuff, here's what I do. I use two sound editing softwares to record, write my riffs, and figure out solos/ double-guitar harmonizations for our originals. these are Sound Forge 6 (or the latest version 9, I dont have it yet) and Cakewalk Guitar Tracks. Although my versions are the old pirated ones, it still works like a charm and is what I believe a good take-off point on learning the basics of sound engineering, editing, and production. oh, and you can also plug in your bass guitar in your pod xt live (it has bass effects too) and all other instruments that you can plug a jack into.

for beats, you can try getting this online drum machine software called Drumsite (click). thats probably the best sounding drum machine ive tried so far. Or you can also try getting Reason for the beats and pads.

on other high-end multi-effects with USB connection, I believe Boss GT-10 has one and of course line 6's own pod x3 live. i'm not so sure about VOX, digitech, or Korg on having a USB access. though pricey, you can consider getting the Boss GT-10--- i havent tried it yet but ive been hearing great things on its tone and ease of use. I couldnt say the same for the pod x3 live, on the other hand --- weakness outweighs its improvements, vulnerable to crashes, and made of flimsy material unlike its predecessor which is built like a tank. I only wish my pod xt live has a spring-back mechanism like a morley wah with a sweep like the tremonti/ bad horsie 2, other than i'm quite satisfied with it.

on the price, i'm not really sure how much a brand new one costs these days since its an old gadget. if Perfect Pitch still has it, they'll probably should sell it around 20-25k. check out other "real" musician forums' classified ads (such as talk@philmusic) since some people are selling their pod xt live as low as 10k and as high as 17k depending on the condition. this should help in case budget is an issue and considering the purpose.

let me know if you need any other help on this matter. good luck and have fun recording, bud.

Edited by jay_lanz

Hi jay_lanz!

Nice to see you back!

Wala na yung N2 Washburn mo?

I agree with you on the Behringer GMX amp--although mine is a 210 and not a 212. I had wanted the 212 but no stock when I went shopping then. The amp turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

The thing even came with its own footswitch. :thumbsupsmiley:

here's my gear:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb112/Lanzar79/gear.jpg

(from left to right)

1. epiphone les paul standard (

>old picture, i already modified to all black hardware and EMG 81/85 active PUs

2. dean hardtail standard

> already made modifications to this axe since the time of this photo. metal chrome PU rings, Seymour Duncan Distortion Bridge, Tribal Knobs, straploks)

3. ibanez 7420 7-string MIJ

> im selling this one by Sunday, unfortunately. it has been my main axe before I got the les paul and the hardtail. we had some pretty good times, *sniff* *sniff*

4. behringer V-tone gmx212 120w stereo (60w x 2)

> what i like about this amp is that it goes perfectly with multi-effects since it has stereo (L/R) slave in at the back. it has three pretty good overdrive settings too if just plugged in directly, and also a 24-bit fx processor so choruses, delays, flanges are already built in. pretty handy if im lazy to bring my line6 podxtl

5. line 6 pod xt live

> imo, this is still the better multi than the pod x3 live. this one has a more rigid structure, less prone to software glitches, and it looks badass like fukn imperial intergalactic fleet destroyer. i got the metal shop, fx junkie, and other patches with it. the best thing about this gear aside from its massive sound is the fact that you can plug it directly to your pc via usb. record the guitar tracks, then plug in a bass to record parts, download "drumsite" and track the percussion parts... and you got a song.

Hi jay_lanz!

Nice to see you back!

Wala na yung N2 Washburn mo?

I agree with you on the Behringer GMX amp--although mine is a 210 and not a 212. I had wanted the 212 but no stock when I went shopping then. The amp turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

The thing even came with its own footswitch. :thumbsupsmiley:

same here sir! hows it going?

sold the N2 some years back e :( ya, im loving my 212! perfect for multi-effects... but nothing beats the power of a tube amp though. for my next GAS project, i'm trying to save up for a mb single-recto :D

just to share again: here are two of my acoustic/electric guitars, both ibbys. great crisp sound, bridge pick-ups are just fine. its no ovation, but it still is pretty good. ^_^

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb112/Lanzar79/25102006003.jpg

Edited by jay_lanz
hi guys,

question on recording software.

do i need to have 1 software for guitar and 1 software for the making the backing tracks?

Hmm, it seems that everybody here is still old-school when it comes to recording. I remeber padding my room with a bunch of egg-cartons and having an obsolete Tascam 4-track recorder to do the job.

Hi guys.

I've been getting mixed reviews about the Line 6 Spider III amps.

I'd like to hear your reviews on this line of amps, because I'm kinda planning to get one.

I haven't really decided on whether to get the Spider III 30 watts, the Spider III 75 watts, or the Spider Jam.

I'm really interested in playing rock music. I use the Ibanez PGM3.

Thanks in advance, guys.

I had-until recently -owned a Spider 30 watter but I traded it for a good set of brand new Paiste cymbals-- which meant that it held it's value. I liked the 30 watter very much as it did quite well in a small rehearsal studio setting ---not to mention quite easy to carry for small jams.

It has user friendly settings that helps in getting a good palette of sounds ranging from good clean tones or a tight distortion to a heavy over driven blast. The controls and knobs are laid out in an easy to follow manner.

On the downside, despite having a 12 inch speaker, the amp will not cut it when in the company of bigger amps. The over all tone is not as heavy or deep as one might expect from a 12 inch speaker as it was somewhat sort of middy and light in tone. I got mine mainly because I already have several large amps and was going to use the 30 watter for small jams since I did not want to lug around my Fender. Pag kinakapos ang power then I just mic it in.

If you have plans on using the amp for bigger jams or gigs, then I suggest go for more power and take the 75 watter. If you just plan on using it in your house or for small work then save some money and get the smaller amp.

Personal opinion lang naman.

Hi guys.

I've been getting mixed reviews about the Line 6 Spider III amps.

I'd like to hear your reviews on this line of amps, because I'm kinda planning to get one.

I haven't really decided on whether to get the Spider III 30 watts, the Spider III 75 watts, or the Spider Jam.

I'm really interested in playing rock music. I use the Ibanez PGM3.

Thanks in advance, guys.

i had a spider 112 once. the red one, first line of spider amps yun probably.

i like it, but to me it really is just a practice amp. but it was loud enough to gig with, i used one for church and i was the loudest guy on stage. there was another guitar player and he had a peavey 212 amp, the one that looks like a fender blues deluxe--tweed. i was using a zoom gfx 8 at that time(i didn't use the onboard effects of the spider--i just set it on clean.)

i had my former bandmate(and godfather of my first born) paco arespacochaga on drums(he plays LOUD) a bassist, a keyboardist, an acoustic guitar player and 5 backup singers.

and i was still the loudest, hindi sumasabog ang speaker at that time. taas ng headroom ng amp kahit papaano. i didn't believe it coz it didn't seem loud at that time--alam naman nyo tayong mga gitarista, mga dakilang bingi hehehe

but the soundguy let me listen to a live recording he made of the praise and worship band. yes, litaw na litaw ang pinaggagawa ko.hehehe, the amp wasn't even miked.

anyway...that's for church music. pag tinapat mo na sa marshall, mesa boogie halfstack..cguradong lalamunin ng buhay ang 112 ko.

i have since sold it and stayed true to a fender hot rod deville for blues gigs...and a fender stage 160(solid state) for my showband gigs in vegas.