Guitar Talk

Behringer against SWR?

For many players, SWR is a better brand. However, since there is no real distributor of SWR amps in Manila, it might not be a good idea to get it as you'll have problems when it comes to after sales service and parts.

This is not to say that Behringer is not good.

Behringer has some good amps in their bass line-up [ The V-amp line particular] but I would prefer to check out Hartke's bass amps first.

I tried out Behringer's guitar amps recently and found them a bit wanting in some departments for my taste. Price wise, they're ok but at the end of it, I'd rather have a Fender, Marshall or Mesa Boogie on the high end or even a Line 6 and Peavey Models for the middle and lower ends.

Again, the V-amp line is good for it's price bit I have doubt's on their being gig-worthy. I see them around but mostly for practice rooms and not much in clubs or concerts. BTW, Behringer also makes excellent PA systems. I know as I own one.

Happy playing!

Fellow gitarers, baka may naghahanap sa inyo ng Yamaha Electric Acoustic. I'm selling my FGX-412, full dreadnought natural finish. Mga P14k negotiable with hard case. If you're interested please PM me. I just realized my fingers are really made for electric guitars... and I need the money anyway. Thanks and Rock on!!!

Here is my current gear:

Amp:

Peavey Studio Pro 112 (65w)

Effects:

Zoom 3030 multieffects

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Classic Wah Pedal

Guitars:

1) A restored natural finish Genesis Series with an S-S-H pickup configuration, changed the bridge humbucker with a DiMarzio Tone Zone HB (used by Paul Gilbert), replaced the stock "fake" FR bridge with a real Floyd Rose system, and aptly resurrected with a customized Ibanez style all-maple medium jumbo neck, originally Taiwan made, restored in the Philippines

2) cherry finish Epiphone LP-100, the entry level full sounding Les Paul. 2 volume, 2 tone knobs, open coil humbuckers, bolt on neck, Made in Korea. My main guitar during my band days.

3) Ibanez Artcore AM73, an ES-335 copy but much compact and has no pickguard. Transparent Brown Finish, semi-hollow, 2 tone, 2 volume knob controls, PAF type humbuckers, made in China

The new LINE 6 amps in general are quite reliable and carry a number of "USEABLE" sounds--mainly because they're programmable. Another reason for checking them out is that Line6 has been one of the companies leading the pack for Amp simulation technology.

Amp simulation is the thing these days with effects and amps. You find this technology now in almost every major brand. Even the effect pedals created by Line6 are based on sumulation of other models.

The Line 6 XT pod multi -effects pedal board, for instance, even sports an assignable pedal that has a different technology. Instead of using a potentiometer that controls the pedal, the darn thing employs a small laser beam.

If you want to have a low watt amp that sounds HUGE but at a fraction of the cost, try out the Line6 30 watter. It's only 30 watts but it has a 12Inch Celestion. A 30watter sporting a 12 inch speaker is very very very rare as they usually have 8-10 inches only. The 12 Inch Celestions provide more bottom, more mid and more headroom. If you don't know the difference between a 10 inch and a 12 inch speaker, then it's time for you to head on to a music store and try one out. I guarantee you will never be satsified with a 10inch speaker again ever! heheh! :D

The 30watt amp also has 3 pre-sets of amps that simulates a Fender, A Marshall and a Mesa Boogie. The pre-sets are also programmable. The best feature is the price because you get all these for less than 16 thousand pesos.

Compare that to other 30watt amps with their 8-10 inch speakers and limited programming that sells for 10-12thousand pesos and and it's an easy choice.

Edited by 16track

Nice work done on the Genesis. Those guitars came out in the early 90's and are no longer in production. It's a good example of how some guitars can actually be given new life.

Pefect example of such customization is Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein guitar which he slapped together from old guitar parts and which only had one pickup and which also had one of the earliest FRs --then he painted with the original Van Halen stripes.

That guitar made history as EVH played it exclusively in their early tours and records.

:D

Here is my current gear:

Amp:

Peavey Studio Pro 112 (65w)

Effects:

Zoom 3030 multieffects

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Classic Wah Pedal

Guitars:

1) A restored natural finish Genesis Series with an S-S-H pickup configuration, changed the bridge humbucker with a DiMarzio Tone Zone HB (used by Paul Gilbert), replaced the stock "fake" FR bridge with a real Floyd Rose system, and aptly resurrected with a customized Ibanez style all-maple medium jumbo neck, originally Taiwan made, restored in the Philippines 

2) cherry finish Epiphone LP-100, the entry level full sounding Les Paul. 2 volume, 2 tone knobs, open coil humbuckers, bolt on neck, Made in Korea. My main guitar during my band days.

3) Ibanez Artcore AM73, an ES-335 copy but much compact and has no pickguard. Transparent Brown Finish, semi-hollow, 2 tone, 2 volume knob controls, PAF type humbuckers, made in China

Thanks 16track :) The Genesis is my first electric guitar and it's been over ten years since my mom bought it after graduating high school. It's considered a cheapo by many guitarists but it has a high sentimental value to me. This is what it looks like now:

post-58696-1125377229.jpg

post-58696-1125377286.jpg

I now call it my "Albino" guitar :cool:

I hope I could use it for gigging or recording in the future. Wala na kasi ako sa banda.

my current gears are:

Fernandez Dragon fly elite japan 24 fret s/s/h w/ dual system floyd

Korg ax-30g

Digitech gnx3

Digitech whammy 4

Jim dunlop crybaby gcb95

Boss fw 3

Boss cs3

Boss ds1

Boss ns2

Boss eq-20

Maxon d&s 2

Ibanez tone-lok ds7

Ibanez tone-lok sm7

Ibanez tone-lok ts7

Ibanez tone-lok aw7

Ibanez tone-lok cf7

Ibanez tone-lok de7

Ibanez tone-lok ph7

Ibanez tone-lok sm7

Ibanez tone-lok lf7

Ibanez tone-lok fz7

Ibanez tone-lok pd7

Ibanez tone-lok pm7

Morley Alligator volume pedal 2

half stack Crate blue voodo 120 100w all tube with celestion speakers :thumbsupsmiley:

axemaniac, bro!

Ganda ng Genesis mo! A real workhorse, as they say. Did you strip off the paint and left it as a natural finish or was this the original finish when your mom bought it?

Sa totoo lang, the natural finish can make the guitar resonate better but it has to be sealed well as the sweat and mositure can get into the wood. Nice axe!

Here's mine naman: Two of the guitars in my closet. There are others but I find myself using this duo quite a bit these days. Its a Godin SD and an old series Yamaha AES.

Yamaha has a new AES series now so medyo collectible na ito.

Rock On!

post-6260-1125382411.jpg

Edited by 16track

Quite a setup you have!

Blou Voodoo Crate 120 all tube! Crate pulled all the stops on that one. I played one before and the amp was hot! Sayang lang as RJ no longer sells Crates. SHould have bought one when the rates were really low.

I always wonder about the Digitech Whammy. How good is it? How much can the note be raised or is it adjustable?

I have a BossDS1 too and it's the best distortion pedal I have ever used. Sold my Metal Zone and HyperMetal but kept my Blues Driver.

my current gears are:

Korg ax-30g

Digitech gnx3

Digitech whammy 4

Jim dunlop crybaby gcb95

Boss fw 3

Boss cs3

Boss ds1

Boss ns2

Boss eq-20

Maxon d&s 2

Ibanez tone-lok ds7

Ibanez tone-lok sm7

Ibanez tone-lok ts7

Ibanez tone-lok aw7

Ibanez tone-lok cf7

Ibanez tone-lok de7

Ibanez tone-lok ph7

Ibanez tone-lok sm7

Ibanez tone-lok lf7

Ibanez tone-lok fz7

Ibanez tone-lok pd7

Ibanez tone-lok pm7

half stack Crate blue voodo 120 100w all tube with celestion speakers

:thumbsupsmiley:

Thanks pre. All natural bro! I never dared to repaint or varnish the body. At that time (summer of 95) it was the most attractive kind for it resembled the Washburn NX (popularized by Bettencourt) models... except for the S-S-H pickup configuration and the fake floyd rose tremolo system. After 5 years, I've decided to replace the worn-out HB with a much better one, and gambled on "digging" the bridge hole to accomodate a genuine FR bridge (of course, I left it to a professional guitar tech... at the Audiophile main office). A year ago ko lang pinapalitan ng neck nung gusto ko na uli ito gamitin seriously.

Regarding the wood, it's incredibly light and I believe it's not as good as the ones by Yamaha and Washburn. In any case, it's great eye-candy and sort of a tribute to both EVH and Nuno Bettencourt.

Nice axes you got there pre :thumbsupsmiley:

I've tried that old Yamaha series and it sounds really good.

Here's the rest of my guitar collection. The other is my beloved Epiphone Les Paul LP-100 and at the middle is my recently acquired Ibanez Artcore AM73. Kung mayaman lang ako, it would be a Gibson Les Paul Standard and an ES-335 :boo:

post-58696-1125401609.jpg

axemaniac, bro!

Ganda ng Genesis mo! A real workhorse, as they say. Did you strip off the paint and left it as a natural finish or was this the original finish when your mom bought it?

Sa totoo lang, the natural finish can make the guitar resonate better but it has to be sealed well as the sweat and mositure can get into the wood. Nice axe!

Here's mine naman: Two of the guitars in my closet. There are others but I find myself using this duo quite a bit these days. Its a Godin SD and an old series Yamaha AES.

Yamaha has a new AES series now so medyo collectible na ito.

Rock On!

:cool: Thanks for the compliment. It's really a pretty good amp. I haven't found another better sounding amp yet. It's actually worth a lot more now. The Digitech whammy pedal has different variable tone settings. The tone rises depending on how you step on the expression pedal. But the whammy pedal really depends on the songs you’re playing; you cannot use it like a distortion. :thumbsupsmiley:

Quite a setup you have!

Blou Voodoo Crate 120 all tube!  Crate pulled all the stops on that one. I played one before and the amp was hot! Sayang lang as RJ no longer sells Crates. SHould have bought one when the rates were really low.

I always wonder about the Digitech Whammy. How good is it? How much can the note be raised or is it adjustable?

I have a BossDS1 too and it's the best distortion pedal I have ever used. Sold my Metal Zone and HyperMetal but kept my Blues Driver.

my current gears are:

Korg ax-30g

Digitech gnx3

Digitech whammy 4

Jim dunlop crybaby gcb95

Boss fw 3

Boss cs3

Boss ds1

Boss ns2

Boss eq-20

Maxon d&s 2

Ibanez tone-lok ds7

Ibanez tone-lok sm7

Ibanez tone-lok ts7

Ibanez tone-lok aw7

Ibanez tone-lok cf7

Ibanez tone-lok de7

Ibanez tone-lok ph7

Ibanez tone-lok sm7

Ibanez tone-lok lf7

Ibanez tone-lok fz7

Ibanez tone-lok pd7

Ibanez tone-lok pm7

half stack Crate blue voodo 120 100w all tube with celestion speakers

:thumbsupsmiley:

nice rig bro

The "BLUES DRIVER" pedal from Boss is an excellent effect. What it does is basically give you a sound that simulates an 'overdriven" TUBE AMP. The controls allow you to set your tone from where the sound just starts to break up to a full overdriven Classic Rock tone.

If you're looking for a full shred Distortion, the Blues driver is not for you as it was not designed to sound like Steve Vai or the boys from Slayer . Think of AC/DC or Allman Brothers or Eric Clapton in Derek and Dominoes era and you get an idea of what a Blues Driver can do. On the other hand, the pedal can also be used to further boost an already Overdriven amp for some burning tones.

On it's own, the BD2 is a good effect with a useable sound and It reacts beatifully to your picking attack ...

16 track ano pala review mo sa blues driver? ano sound nya?   :)

Edited by 16track

nabuhay ng trhead na to ang interest ko sa gitara, medyo na divert lahat ng fundings ko sa golf. anyway balik na ulit ako nakakainspire kasi na marami pa rin palang gitarista sa atin. balik ulit tayo sa basic practice ulit pero alam ko na hangang dito lang ang kaya ko kasi yung magagaling na gitarista na latulad ni 16trak may kasamang talento yon. sana one time mag karoon tayo ng isang mini eyeball, parang mtc guitar festival....ang present gear ko nga pala ay yun luma kong squire na strat, fender na mini amp (blues deluxe na re-issue yata) at yung sira ko nang pandora 1 multi effects.. mabuhay ...

thanks for the infos. base on your description, i think the blues driver can also be an excellent booster am i right? masubukan nga yan sa handog sale hehehe

yes im trying to purchase a fender here sa pinas, wala ako bread pang abroad hehehe kakatakot kasi bumili online baka mamya defective or masira sa shipping dami ko reservations kasi sensitive yun instrument. mas mura nga ata sa online dealers kasi they cost aroung $900-1200 kaso yun risk involve mataas. yun US deluxe sabi sakin nasa 80K pesos, mahal na for my budget. i believe this is a prudent purchase for my part coz 50k pesos for a guitar is pretty expensive for an average joe like me. im just hoping to get the best value for my buck :)

tele, sad to say Yupangco is the only authorized distributor of Fender products here in the Philippines and they tend to insanely jack up prices. Kung may sale, it's either blemished or refurbished. My former bandmate was fortunate enough to be a US Citizen so he had the luxury to handpick a gorgeous Fender Mexican Telecaster which is much better than the ones sold by Yupangco. Kung di lang sya kuripot, baka US Fender strat ang kinuha niya.

Dito sa pinas very limited na nga ang choices malaki pang chance na lemon ang makuha mo. I only use musiciansfriend.com as a guide to my guitar buying in the Philippines to determine which stores price fairly or otherwise. I'm not that rich to have it shipped from US to here. Sabi pa nga nila, kahit sa US din ang delivery you still need to have it properly set up once you receive it.

Kung keen ka pa rin sa pagkuha ng Fender US strat, I suggest that you wait for the Yamaha Handog Sale (mid October) and go straight to the Buendia Office so you could have more choices. They could be eliminating their old stocks so you better be vigilant. Ang pinakamura I think is the Highway 1 series, which is the stripped down version of the ordinary US strat. But be sure to try them out first before you purchase.

Pero kung may kamag-anak ka sa US na gitarista, mas mabuting magpabili ka na lang sa kanila.

But if you ask me, the only decent guitar brand being sold here in the Philippines nowadays is Ibanez. Kahit maraming China-made, these axes are durable, playable, and gig-worthy. Majority of the models sound at par if not better than the top brands in Yupangco. Try them out at any Audiophile stores.