Eraserheads

Calhoun

btw, i just bought a copy of that ultraelectromagneticjam. mas ok pa rin original version. nakakainis si paolo santos. sarap sapakin! nagpipilit magboses ely kaya ayun! nagboses palaka. imago did a good job pero ok pa rin ang version ng eheads.

i hope a common friend or love one can talk to all of them to reconcile and reunite. i wouldn't mind paying a high price just to see these guys in a concert once again. kahit mas mahal pa sa ticket ng mga foreign artists ok lang.

pero for the third time, wala ba talagang nakakaalam ng totoong reason ng break up nila? kasi yung mga pinost dito parang puro haka-haka lang eh.

hey guys! wow, i'm so glad you guys like the album. :) we really appreicate all kinds of feedback (even the not-so-nice kind). and we love that so many people have responded so well to our tribute to the band that gave us anthems of our youth. make sure to spread the love and give the album to someone special for christmas. :D

for more of ultraelectromagneticjam, just tune in to JAM88.3. and watch out for the videos to the songs coming out next year. ;)

thanks again!

No delusions of grandeur for Ely Buendia

By YUGEL LOSORATA

Influential singer-songwriter Ely Buendia expressed mixed feelings about tributes recently being given to his former band Eraserheads, citing such events as premature especially that he is still active as a recording artist. This he told the Manila Bulletin during a pocket interview to promote his new band Pupil’s debut album.

"It’s too early to be taking part in it and I don’t see myself being part of it kasi I’m still doing something here," said the 35-year-old hit-maker when asked to react how come he did not attend the reunion concert (featuring current local acts paying tribute to his former group) staged for Eraserheads recently. He even assessed, "To be part of it is like acknowledging na tapos na ako; isa na lang akong trophy na itatago na. Siguro kung uugud-ugud na ako, that’s the time I’m gonna look back."

However, Ely feels grateful about the entire concept of paying homage to Eraserheads music, particularly the album "Ultraelectromagneticjam" which features existing acts doing versions of classics mostly written by Ely himself during his heydays with former bandmates Raymund Marasigan, Buddy Zabala, and Marcus Adoro. "I don’t have a problem with that. I just feel it’s not yet the right time to do such tribute because I’m still doing something worthwhile."

Considered by many as the Eraserheads’ heart and soul, Ely must have a point telling everyone he "isn’t over yet" as far as his recording and performing careers are concerned. In fact, his new band Pupil just released its debut CD called "Beautiful Machines" under SonyBMG Music Entertainment.

The said album is composed of 14 all–original numbers, some of which are sung and written by Ely (as expected). A surprise pulled from Pupil’s sleeve, though, is the carrier single "Nasaan Ka" penned by Ely’s wife Dianne Ventura whom he considers his breath and fire and whose name also appears in the album singing the album title track. Completing Pupil’s lineup are guitarist Yan Yuzon, drummer Boks Jugo, and bassist Dok Sergio, the only fellow who wasn’t a member of The Mongols which came out with a minor hit called "Bulakbol" and was noted for being Ely’s band after the much-ballyhooed Eraserheads break–up.

Below, Ely answers our questions in a consistent manner—straightforward.

What led to the Eraserheads breakup?

Out of control na yung business matters, e.

Do you still talk with your former Eraserheads bandmates?

Hindi na.

Any regrets on leaving Eraserheads?

No, I left that band and I don’t regret it.

At this point of your maturity, what can you say about the Eraserheads?

Chopsuey band yun, exploring on various colors of music. I consider it as a folk band really. I always put humor in my songs then na hindi nakikita ng tao. Gaya nung sa "El Bimbo" may part dun ‘nasagasaan sa isang madilim na eskinita." Paano ka masasagasaan sa eskinita e wala namang bumabyaheng sasakyan sa eskinita?

How does your music differ then and now?

I was into Manila Sound then. I like to tell stories na makaka-relate ang mga tao because at that time you have to be popular or a big hit. This time wala nang ganong intention. I’m now more geared towards modern rock. Nahanap ko na rin yung gusto ko talagang sound which is guitar–driven. Kung dati ang daming tunog na maririnig sa mga kanta ng Eraserheads, ngayon sa Pupil stripped down ang arrangement, guitar, bass, and drums lang. Dati I was a derivative songwriter musically. Ngayon I get inspired by anything to write songs: picture, painting, movie scenes…

Do you see the parallelism between your post-Eraserheads career and that of the late John Lennon’s after he got freed off the Beatles’ yoke?

Naging parallel lang ang nangyari. John Lennon left the Beatles because he wanted to be free. I can kind of relate to that. But, in terms of career trajectory ngayon, I’m not going to do what he did, he hid for five years and became a hermit. I still want to do something better than I did before.

Can you say that you’re a better musician now or are you just going to a different direction musically?

Nag-iba lang ng direksiyon, tama ‘yon. Change is always good, not necessarily to become better or improve kasi subjective naman ‘yon. I just don’t want to do samething all over again and write the same kind of songs na ini-expect ng tao.

Its the Pupil’s album output better than that of the Mongols’?

In a technical sense the Pupil’s "Beauiful Machines" is better because the recording and arrangements sound much better for me. The Mongol’s "Buddhas’s Pest" got some good songs. But I’m always more excited about the newest stuff.

What do you want to tell your fans now that you’re back?

I just want my fans and hopefully, my fans to be, to appreciate my music. I’m lucky to still have my career in music as a job and as part of Pupil wala akong delusions to become as big as my previous band was.

SOURCE

The ERASER HEADS...

syempre... wala pa kaming cd player non...so bili kami ng tapes na album nila... they ARE not the best band of the early 90's...

THEY ARE "THE" BAND!!!!!!

i remember watching the music charts... Rivermaya and Parokyo trailing... grabe... ngaon... almost all u can hear and see are Rivermaya and Parokyo... ok.. isama na natin si Bamboo... member naman sya dati ng River.

anyways... i dont like the Mongols or even Cambio... never heard nor listened to their music... if i did... i was to busy doing someting even to take notice....

and i end this with a note from an e-heads song...

OH! DYOS KO!!!! ANO BA NAMAN ITOOO!!!

DIBA? TANG INA.....!!! nagmukha akong tanga..

Pinaasa nya lang akoooo...

lecheng pag-ibig tooooooo-ohoh-oh....

:blush:

eraserheads fan ako... all of theirs songs.. treasure ko.. pero ung mga lintek na nanghiram ng tapes ko.. (wala pa cd nun e).. di na binalik sakin.. meron pa kong songbuk nila.. kompleto un..kaso ung naghram sakin.. di na rin binalik.. haup... e ang mahal kasi ng mga cd's nila..kaya download na lang ko mp3s.. pero kulang pa ko nung album nila na friutcake.. kulang ng kanta.. baka meron kau.. pashare nmn..

oo nga pala.. wait nun ung song na

eraserheads fan ako... all of theirs songs.. treasure ko.. pero ung mga lintek na nanghiram ng tapes ko.. (wala pa cd nun e).. di na binalik sakin.. meron pa kong songbuk nila.. kompleto un..kaso ung naghram sakin.. di na rin binalik.. haup... e ang mahal kasi ng mga cd's nila..kaya download na lang ko mp3s.. pero kulang pa ko nung album nila na friutcake.. kulang ng kanta.. baka meron kau.. pashare nmn..

oo nga pala.. wait nun ung song na TEXT LUK4.or baka naririning nu na sa radio.. si Ely gumawa nun.. yan ung song ng company nmn.. and the latest is .. lalabas na rin ung MTV nyan.. which is ang director e ung gumwa ng FIRST DAY FUNK ng parokya ni edgar... aus ba... baka kompleto kau ng mp3 ng fruitcake.. pahingi nmn ako... pleaseeeeeee....

hey guys! wow, i'm so glad you guys like the album. :) we really appreicate all kinds of feedback (even the not-so-nice kind). and we love that so many people have responded so well to our tribute to the band that gave us anthems of our youth. make sure to spread the love and give the album to someone special for christmas. :D

for more of ultraelectromagneticjam, just tune in to JAM88.3. and watch out for the videos to the songs coming out next year. ;)

thanks again!

The album is great..pero bitin hehe i hope me part 2 or pa, there so many hits the eheads made na hindi nainclude sa album. :D but its cool :cool: tnx.. :mtc:

thanks again!

Ely Buendia thinks that the effort is premature as 3/4 of the Heads (God knows where Marcus is) are still making music.

My girlfriend, a long-time friend and fan of the band thinks it's hilarious particularly when we got to listen to Sponge Bob Cola's Pare Ko.

I think it's a bit more complicated given the two things all tribute albums should achieve, namely, to honor the band/artist and their body of work and to make good music.

Like most tribute albums, Ultraelectromagneticjam's bound to get mixed reviews. As a rule, the artists/groups that found a nifty middleground where they could infuse their own style without making the song sound too different and/or unremarkable, succeeded.

Interestingly enough, since the Eheads were, after all, a pop band, the alternative acts made the most out of their studio time.

6CycleMind's Alapaap was dreamy but grounded just the same. Imago's Spoliarium was simply sublime. ONL's japanime take on Huwag Kang Matakot was cute.

And while Lourd De Veyra seemed like he was chasing the beat half the time in Alkohol, Eheads by Sago was something special. I wonder how'd they fare if they reworked some of Adoro's songs (South Superhighway?) but that's another story.

The tracks that made my ears suffer the most were largely from pogi/ganda rock genre. These guys just didn't have clue on how best to make the songs theirs without insulting a legion of Eheads fans.

Kitchie Nadal on a vocoder with Ligaya and Barbie being Barbie on Overdrive are just two of the lower points of the album.

The nadir, of course, would have to be Sponge Cola's Pare Ko which was just laughably lame. If anything, they did get to answer: "How does a jilted pogi rocker sound like?" Answer: painful, not unlike getting a molar extracted.

All the rest, I give the benefit of doubt or "wala lang".

An RnB cut of With a Smile and MYMP version (Why do I have this odd feeling that an MYMP version of "Dito sa Pitong Gatang" isn't far behind? ) was bound to happen anyway, I know that much was true. Cueshe doing Hard to Believe was killed in a lot of other forums but I can't entirlely blame the pogi outfit, that was a weak song to begin with.

Francis Magalona is the voice of reason in this made-for-the-money compilation, mouthing off steadfastly in Superproxy: "There's no substitute for the real."

Right on, bro. Right on.

p.s.

My greatest fear? That one day, 10, 15 years into the future, one of my kids comes across this album and concludes that the Eheads suck ass.

And then I'd have to ground him/her for a week and put him/her on a steady diet of Cutterpillow, Ultra and Circus, just so he/she learns firsthand that they don't.

Edited by gift_of_game