Our company has this savings account wherein employees are encouraged to deposit (or ride on). It currently grosses 11% and nets 9% per annum. I have chosen an option of giving a minimum of 5K monthly and letting it stay there for at least 5 years. Do you think this would be a good alternative to investing in mutual funds or should I just proceed with my plans of pursuing mutual funds? What do you think guys?

Our company has this savings account wherein employees are encouraged to deposit (or ride on).  It currently grosses 11% and nets 9% per annum.  I have chosen an option of giving a minimum of 5K monthly and letting it stay there for at least 5 years.  Do you think this would be a good alternative to investing in mutual funds or should I just proceed with my plans of pursuing mutual funds?  What do you think guys?

there are a couple of mutual fund/trust fund that nets you over 15% per annum.. ..its a waste of time and money if you put part of your salary in your company deposit which earns only 9% per annum..

equity funds are the best.. (but risky) so learn to know how to trade stocks if you are into equity funds..

and note that there are even individual stocks that appreciates 25% per year.. so 9% is a measly appreciation..

I got Philequity when it was doing only P2.0+

year on year.. equity funds are inflation defensive...

But you also have to have an over-all investment plan (asset allocation).

for off-shore funds checkout www.fundsupermart.com

its based s'pore (where they claim there's no capital gains tax!)

Guest wackeen
there are a couple of  mutual fund/trust fund that nets you over 15% per annum.. ..its a waste of time and money if you put part of your salary in your company deposit which earns only 9% per annum..

equity funds are the best.. (but risky) so learn to know how to trade stocks if you are into equity funds..

and note that there are even individual stocks that appreciates 25% per year.. so 9% is a measly appreciation..

well the advantage of the employee thrift plan is that there is a low entry barrier, basically no fees, and easy withdrawals. so it is not quite a waste of time, after all most people keep their savings in regular deposit accounts where they earn nearly 0%. compared to that the company deposit plan is a big step up.

Our company has this savings account wherein employees are encouraged to deposit (or ride on).  It currently grosses 11% and nets 9% per annum.  I have chosen an option of giving a minimum of 5K monthly and letting it stay there for at least 5 years.  Do you think this would be a good alternative to investing in mutual funds or should I just proceed with my plans of pursuing mutual funds?  What do you think guys?

May I ask what are the fees associated after netting 9% fom 11%?So you are teeling us that the minimum you can invest per month is P5k, correct? What happens of you are no longer connected with the company?

mr. advisor if i'm going to ask you what kind of trust fund will you get in bdo?...

and why?... :D

It depends on your risk profile...and how long you intend to "park" your money...

The BDO Fixed Income Fund and BDO Bond Funds(Php and $)are suitable for individuals who are risk tolerant and who consider investment time horizons greater than 1 year.

The BDO Balanced Fund is suitable for individuals who are risk takers and who understand investments in equity markets...

Know what is your investment objective..how much risk can you take( to achieve your deisred returns) and for how long...

You can contact BDO Trust 631-9309, 634-7450, 635-0316

or BDO Call Center 631-8000

or visit any BDO branch, they will be able to assist you personally in determining which fund is suitable for you..

Isa sa mga considerasyon ninyo sa mutual funds ay iyong mga fees nila. Basahin maige ang prospectus nila lalo na ang mga fees bago mag-invest. May-ibat-ibang klaseng fees tulad ng:

Sales Loads (including Sales Charge (Load) on Purchases and Deferred Sales Charge (Load))

Redemption Fee (merong iba na malaki ang ipapatong kung early redemption)

Purchase Fee

Exchange Fee

Account Fee

Management Fees (kahit negative ang ipapatong pa rin)

Other Expenses

Hindi pa kasali ang taxes diyan! :angry:

Isa sa mga considerasyon ninyo sa mutual funds ay iyong mga fees nila. Basahin maige ang prospectus nila lalo na ang mga fees bago mag-invest. May-ibat-ibang klaseng fees tulad ng:

Sales Loads (including Sales Charge (Load) on Purchases and Deferred Sales Charge (Load))

Redemption Fee (merong iba na malaki ang ipapatong kung early redemption)

Purchase Fee

Exchange Fee

Account Fee

Management Fees (kahit negative ang ipapatong pa rin)

Other Expenses

Hindi pa kasali ang taxes diyan!  :angry:

Proceeds from mutual funds are exempted from the comp*tation of gross income under the COMPREHENSIVE TAX REFORM PACKAGE(CTRP) of 1998..meaning your investment is TAX-FREE.

May I ask what are the fees associated after netting 9% fom 11%?So you are teeling us that the minimum you can invest per month is P5k, correct? What happens of you are no longer connected with the company?

As far as I know, no associated fees when withdrawing.

No 5K is not the minimum investment, minimum investment is at least 500 monthly. The 5K per month is my own option. I can also put a lump sum of money (with no monthly contribution).

If you're no longer connected with the company then the principal plus your earnings will form part of your separation fee.

In addition, no minimum period for your investment. I've known guys who withdrew their money after just 2, 3 months since they need cash at that time.

As far as I know, no associated fees when withdrawing.

No 5K is not the minimum investment, minimum investment is at least 500 monthly.  The 5K per month is my own option.  I can also put a lump sum of money (with no monthly contribution).

If you're no longer connected with the company then the principal plus your earnings will form part of your separation fee. 

In addition, no minimum period for your investment.  I've known guys who withdrew their money after just 2, 3 months since they need cash at that time.

I see..That's a good deal..for only P500 a month..and no holding period..how about taxes?and do you know who handles and manages the fund and where is it invested?thank you

well the advantage of the employee thrift plan is that there is a low entry barrier, basically no fees, and easy withdrawals. so it is not quite a waste of time, after all most people keep their savings in regular deposit accounts where they earn nearly 0%. compared to that the company deposit plan is a big step up.

why would you want to have easy withdrawal anyways when you are after investment? ATM savings account are for convenience but they do offer any sensible interest earnings..

also, fees are quite small when you consider it for the long term say over 5 years.. which is common in equity funds.. the 3500 peso entry fee for an equity fund for every 100k investment is nothing, when your 100k earns 15k every year.. compare that to the thrift fund that only earns 9k every year.. 15k-9k= 6k! so you actually lost 6k in just a year with that thrift plan..

also.. what are the risk when putting your money in an employee thrift plan? what hapens if the company loses money or close down? those are the things you have to consider..

It depends on your risk profile...and how long you intend to "park" your money...

The BDO Fixed Income Fund  and BDO Bond Funds(Php and $)are suitable for individuals who are risk tolerant and who consider investment time horizons greater than 1 year.

The BDO Balanced Fund is suitable for individuals who are risk takers and who understand investments in equity markets...

Know what is your investment objective..how much risk can you take( to achieve your deisred returns) and for how long...

You can contact BDO Trust 631-9309, 634-7450, 635-0316

or BDO Call Center 631-8000

or visit any BDO branch, they will be able to assist you personally in determining which fund is suitable for you..

I assume BDO Equity trust fund is invested mostly on Henry Sy companies like SM Investments, SM Prime Holdings, SM Development Corporation.. so mostly its real-estate related..

BDO BALANCED FUND TOP EQUITY HOLDINGS (Top 5)

(As of December 31, 2005)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Php Price

(Dec 29, 2005)

% of Portfolio

PLDT 1,835.00 14.17%

BPI 54.50 6.67%

MWC 6.20 6.20%

FPH 49.00 6.08%

SMPH 7.90 5.79%

FIXED-INCOME HOLDINGS

(As of December 31, 2005)

Issue

Yield

Maturity

% of Portfolio

Phil FXTN 7.67% 09/26/06 6.14%

Phil FXTN 7.95% 12/16/06 5.86%

Phil FXTN 8.74% 10/24/07 2.34%

Phil FXTN 5.93% 04/03/06 2.27%

Phil FXTN 7.49% 08/09/06 1.87%

OR BETTER YET...http://www.bdo.com.ph/uitf_bf.html

*** Take note that this is a Balanced Fund which is a combination of BOTH EQUITIES and GOVT SECURITIES

KOnting promo lang, mga boss.

Kung may time kayo, manood kayo sa channel 4 bukas, 6PM. Ita-topic sa program na GSIS Members HOur ang GSIS Mutual Fund (aka, GSIS Kinabukasan Fund).

Open itong MF na to sa lahat, although GSIS members can put in as low as P1,000 initial capitalization and P500 for additionals.

Non GSIS members can also invest with P5,000 and P1,000 additionals.

I think balanced fund to, and last year, nakakuha to ng yield na 14%.