All about Sony Ericsson Phones

pips help me decide

We all know that the K750i is the same as the W800i, the difference is that the W800i comes with 256 MB mem stick while the k700 comes with a measly 64MB mem stick..

is the 64MB mem stick enough? or did you buy another mem stick and just store away your 64MB somewhere and not used anymore?

in this case, is the w800i more practical since you dont need to buy another mem stick? sayang ata yung 64mB ng k750 kase for sure di mo rin magagamit..

lastly.. can you use the k750i as flash usb disk?

first of all, it can be used as a usb drive but if you connect it to a PC with the data cable, you must first install the phone's drivers on the PC. but sharing files via bluetooth or infrared is no problem and very straightforward.

re the memory stick, even 256MB is not nearly enough especially if you plan to use it as a music player. personally, i think 1GB is the bare minimum. the max available right now is 4GB but not that easy to find locally. 2GB sticks are pretty widespread but beware that many if not most of the sony high speed memory sticks for sale are fakes and many fail after a short period. you're much safer buying sandisk. it's cheaper and both sony and sandisk come out of the same factory. but the sony branding makes it more expensive.

first of all, it can be used as a usb drive but if you connect it to a PC with the data cable, you must first install the phone's drivers on the PC. but sharing files via bluetooth or infrared is no problem and very straightforward.

re the memory stick, even 256MB is not nearly enough especially if you plan to use it as a music player. personally, i think 1GB is the bare minimum. the max available right now is 4GB but not that easy to find locally. 2GB sticks are pretty widespread but beware that many if not most of the sony high speed memory sticks for sale are fakes and many fail after a short period. you're much safer buying sandisk. it's cheaper and both sony and sandisk come out of the same factory. but the sony branding makes it more expensive.

is it ok to buy in the black market? its 30% cheaper buying in the black market than buying in authorized SE shops..

what is the best black market out there, with shop warranty?

well first of all, let me start by saying that of all the ericsson and sony ericsson phones i've purchased, which is probably over 25 by now, i have NEVER had to make a warranty claim on a single one. if ever i had a problem, it would be a software bug which was almost always resolved when the phone was flashed with newer firmware. but NEVER did i have a hardware problem.

because of my experience, i then started purchasing some of my phones on the grey market. i am by no means saying that you will not have any problems. they can always happen. but it has never happened to me. (knock on wood!) but i would NEVER consider buying a nokia without a warranty, for example. nokias have a failure rate that is 3x the industry average.

i will not try to convince you to purchase from the grey market. i buy from both channels anyway but i will just explain to you my logic when i do get a grey market unit.

for example, i recently bought a K800 on the grey market for under 21k. i got a grey market unit because the authorized dealer quoted me a price of over 29k. for an 8k differential, i am willing to take the risk that if ever i have a problem, hopefully it won't cost me more than a few thousand and will be less than the 8k i saved. if the difference was only 4-5k, i might have gotten a warrantied unit instead. but with that big a gap, i'm willing to gamble. and so far, my k800 has been flawless, hardware-wise. :) firmware update should be out in a few weeks.

if you do buy from the grey market, the only thing you should demand is that they give you a 7-day period wherein if any HARDWARE problems surface, they will REPLACE the unit free of charge. normally if there is a defect, it should surface in the first week.

if you encounter a problem after that, then take it to an authorized service center. sure you will have to pay, but all these grey market people offer is free labor anyway, not parts. and damned right that it should be free labor because their people have not gotten any training from the manufacturer and you don't want your phone to be some kind of guinea pig for them to learn on! so in the end, the only difference between having it repaired at an authorized service center is the labor cost.

the last point is that it may be a little riskier to go grey market on a new model, e.g. the K800. but the K750 and W800 have been in production for quite a while now and are already so damned reliable and the firmware extremely stable that you almost must have been born on friday the 13th to get a bad unit! :)

anyway, food for thought... your call in the end.

mga dude, could anybody point me to the right direction...

I am looking for an app to download for my k750i...an app that will enable me to continuously record video.

Hope somebody could pm me.

Appreciate it

i have one tol and you just have to change the configuration in settings if you open the video option na...change the shoot mode to high quality video then it will depend on your memory size na kung gaano katagal ang recording....till now di pa ako nagsasawa sa k750i ko...been doing some kinky and scandalous stuff with it...hehehehe

Edited by Alcymus
well first of all, let me start by saying that of all the ericsson and sony ericsson phones i've purchased, which is probably over 25 by now, i have NEVER had to make a warranty claim on a single one. if ever i had a problem, it would be a software bug which was almost always resolved when the phone was flashed with newer firmware. but NEVER did i have a hardware problem.

because of my experience, i then started purchasing some of my phones on the grey market. i am by no means saying that you will not have any problems. they can always happen. but it has never happened to me. (knock on wood!) but i would NEVER consider buying a nokia without a warranty, for example. nokias have a failure rate that is 3x the industry average.

i will not try to convince you to purchase from the grey market. i buy from both channels anyway but i will just explain to you my logic when i do get a grey market unit.

for example, i recently bought a K800 on the grey market for under 21k. i got a grey market unit because the authorized dealer quoted me a price of over 29k. for an 8k differential, i am willing to take the risk that if ever i have a problem, hopefully it won't cost me more than a few thousand and will be less than the 8k i saved. if the difference was only 4-5k, i might have gotten a warrantied unit instead. but with that big a gap, i'm willing to gamble. and so far, my k800 has been flawless, hardware-wise. :) firmware update should be out in a few weeks.

if you do buy from the grey market, the only thing you should demand is that they give you a 7-day period wherein if any HARDWARE problems surface, they will REPLACE the unit free of charge. normally if there is a defect, it should surface in the first week.

if you encounter a problem after that, then take it to an authorized service center. sure you will have to pay, but all these grey market people offer is free labor anyway, not parts. and damned right that it should be free labor because their people have not gotten any training from the manufacturer and you don't want your phone to be some kind of guinea pig for them to learn on! so in the end, the only difference between having it repaired at an authorized service center is the labor cost.

the last point is that it may be a little riskier to go grey market on a new model, e.g. the K800. but the K750 and W800 have been in production for quite a while now and are already so damned reliable and the firmware extremely stable that you almost must have been born on friday the 13th to get a bad unit! :)

anyway, food for thought... your call in the end.

thanks for the detailed tip..

is there a chance i might buy a k750 that is defective and previously replaced by another owner, considering it is an old product?

which grey market shop did you buy your k800?

it really is way too expensive in an authorized shop.. my friend has a k700 which had a broken joystick after 1 month of use.. still had to pay 800 pesos to sony ericsson for the replacement part.. despite having a 1 year manufacturer warranty..

my k700 was bought from an authorized shop.. way too expensive.. it didn't break anyway.. so why pay the extra

i dont know if the NTC sticker has something to do with it.. hahaha.. expensive 8k pesos NTC sticker..

can't remember the name of the shop where i got my K800 but it was on the 2nd floor of virra mall. small shop kind of in the middle of the building. you can also try goldcrest in makati.

i think you should be safe with the K750. just ask for new stock and check it well.

mga dude, could anybody point me to the right direction...

I am looking for an app to download for my k750i...an app that will enable me to continuously record video.

Hope somebody could pm me.

Appreciate it

You just have to press and hold the zero (0) button and wait for a star to appear when you are in video mode.

if you are using windows xp, no need to install drivers for you to use your k750i as a usb drive. just plug it in, and xp will recognize it.

the size of memory depends on your usage. i have 1gb mem stick, and i barely use half of it. even if i fill it up with mp3s, videos, etc, i doubt if the battery can last long enough for me to listen/view everything.

does sandisk also make mem stick? i thought mem stick is proprietary to sony.

yup sandisk makes them under license from sony. all my mem stick duos are sandisk. in fact SE would alternate between sony and sandisk sticks in their packaging.

re the drivers, you're luck i guess. i use XP SP2 and it would still ask me to install the drivers. ah well, as long as it works...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xHANGMANx
kaya po ba ng k750i yung 4 gb na mem stick?

only 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo will work

as per the user Manual, but if you have already a 4GB that you are using for other media, TRY IT, it might work!

Edited by xHANGMANx

the K750 can handle up to 32GB memory stick duo. that is the maximum a mem stick can handle. the only reason it states 1GB or whatever in the manual is because SE only puts the maximum at the largest available memory stick in production at the time the phone is released.

and don't worry about speed, a 4GB stick will not slow your phone down unlike some other brands.

• 5 weeks later...