Suggest A Good Read...

Here are the top 50 books (No, I don't know why there are only 46 on the list... ) from www.whatshouldireadnext.com.

1. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

2. The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

3. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams

4. The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgerald

5. To k*ll a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

6. The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

7. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman (even though I hate his "criticisms" of C.S. Lewis)

8. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter 6) - J.K. Rowling

9. Life of Pi - Yann Martel

10. Animal Farm: A Fairy Story - George Orwell

11. Catch-22 - Joseph Heller

12. The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien

13. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon

14. Lord of the Flies - William Golding

15. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

16. 1984 - George Orwell

17. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3) - J.K. Rowling

18. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

19. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

20. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

21. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

22. Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut

23. Angels and Demons - Dan Brown

24. Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk

25. Neuromancer - William Gibson

26. Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson

27. The Secret History - Donna Tartt

28. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

29. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

30. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

31. American Gods - Neil Gaiman

32. Ender's Game (The Ender Saga) - Orson Scott Card

33. Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson

34. A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

35. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis

36. Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

37. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

38. The Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien

39. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

40. Good Omens - Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman

41. Atonement - Ian McEwan

42. The Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

43. The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

44. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

45. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

46. Dune - Frank Herbert

preacher, ano source and basis nung top 50 books?  siguro di kasama sa qualification bible kasi yung pa rin and most read, printed, circulated and translated book e.

i also wonder na di kasama yung little pince, das kapital, the prince, etc.

Dude, we're talking about novels lang naman eh. And I don't think anyone has suggested in this thread to read the bible after reading Eco or Harris, among other things ...

Anyway, I got the list from www.whattoreadnext.com. Like I said, there's supposed to be 50 pero 46 lang yung nakalagay dun sa site, so go figure.

OT.

Try nyo rin mga Dean Koontz books, literal na psychological thriller like False Memory.

My suggestions:

All time favorites are any book by William Gibson (ie., Neuromancer, Count Zero, Burning Chrone, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties).

Site: William Gibson

The site has other links.

Other books I recommend:

"State of Fear" by Michael Crichton. Actually the book's story telling, compared to the others he's done, is just okay and maybe even sub-par. However, for those interested in the "Global Warming Crisis" it is a very thought provoking book. He has got a big bibliography appendix to list where he got his information. It's really interesting.

"Freakonomics" by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner Just a fun book to read about statistical studies of thing like "what does Sumo wrestling have in common with teaching?"

The "Twisted" series by Jessica Zafra I like her sarcastic look on her life. My type of humor.

"Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden and "Geisha: A Life" by Mineko Iwasaki the book should be read as a pair since Mineko Iwasaki was Arthur Golden's inspiration for his fictional work.

I know this may be old books that i would suggest but they are trully worth finding....

If you want to get some insight as to how a muslims mind works and their culture...try the novel...The Haj

Recent contraversy over the Tom Brown novel should not really be as contravertial as they now make it to be...there have been books that have dealt with religious facts (as we know them and tweeked them into fairy tales to make them more interesting....such as the 12 book series of The Children of the Lion....taking off from the bible's story of Able and Cain...Cain slew Able out of jealousy...God banished Cain as punishment but before he was banished he was given a birthmark on his lower back (formed RED LION's PAW)...to warn everyone not to hurt him and his descendants less they wish to feel the wrath of God...and God gave him a skill to survive...being the best blacksmith (remember in those days there were too many fighting amongst nations and clans)...get how it fits in??? This is the story of cain's descendants....

Best for me from john Grisham is still A Time to k*ll though they murdered it miserably when they made it into a movie

Tom Clancy's best book for me is still RED STORM RISING....though never made into a movie (i guess the budget would have been horendous if they did.

For the girlie stuff...which I read way back when sometimes I don't have any other better to read...my most memorable would still be P.S. I Love You....any women out there remember this....sequeled with To Love Again

Ofcourse and there are the classics....best in my list would still be The Little Prince...on human nature and diversity....The Prophet....guide to life

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

by JK Rowling

or

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

by JK Rowling

The contents are the same even the adults version, sa publishing company lang nag-iba coz the Sorcerer's Stone was published by Scholastic and Philosopher's Stone was published by Bloomsbury. I like Scholastic's copy better coz every chapter there's an illustration.