Digital Cameras

photo enthusiast who only knows point and shoot shots.

i intend to buy my first digital camera. pero ayoko ng para lang makakuha ng litrato. interested po ako sa photography. particularly still shots. any recommendations? kung meron sa low end, mas cool. ang alam ko nikon ang the best brand. that's it. kung anong specs, flabbergasted na ako.

help?

:D

My first question would be how much are you willing to spend for your camera?

^ I have a trusted online contact who's willing to give me the standard package with a decent tripod at P38k all in all. I didn't want to haggle anymore because i don't mind paying a bit more for the relative safety of not going to Quiapo. ;)

Package includes:

- the 450D kit (w/lens)

- the 1 yr Canon warranty

- rudy project bag

- 1GB card

- screen protector

- 5 ft high white tripod

Mayer sa Quiapo P36K without Rudy project, screen protector & tripod.

but i understand you can still haggle down the price a little

Why not get an angle finder instead? Its cheaper and works on existing cameras rather than buying an expensive DSLR with "Live View"

DSLRs with "Live View" suffers on focusing when using it most of the time.

I tried using an angle viewfinder before, and while useful, it does have its limitations. I was recently at a product shoot and the photographer was using the live view and manual focus on his 40D. He let me try his setup in between layouts, and I have to say I prefer the live view with manual focus because you can see the cropping much faster than using a viewfinder. Also, your back won't hurt as much since you don't have to keep bending over.

In a studio setting, live view certainly has its advantages. Once you move into sports or event photography though, I really don't think its that useful.

Alam nyo kasi... DSLRs in its original concept never really intended to have live-view since its directed at the professional level. But, since the technology has the capability of cramping it in there there you go.

If you want cameras for the sole purpose of having a live-view might as well buy a point-n-shoot camera.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0807/Nikon/d700press.jpg

Yup, I'm quite familiar with all the purist "you don't need a DSLR, you might just need a P&S" arguments, and frankly, I don't really care. I just think it's more nifty for a DSLR to have live view. I'd rather have the option of having both live view and the traditional one for various uses, than being stuck with just one feature.

And besides, although I'd always go for a bargain, money isn't really a problem for me.

Funny how some DSLR-users always assume that they are doing people a favor when they discourage beginners from buying one. I thank you for your relative politeness, but some others I've come across border on arrogance. It's as if they're suggesting that only a select group of people have the right to use DSLRs.

I go for a simpler rule: If you can buy it, you can use it.

============================================

So for all those clueless rich kids who want to buy DSLRs because they just want a new toy, I'd say go ahead! (I'm neither clueless nor rich, but I could relate with them, somehow.)

As they say, "Walang basagan ng trip." ;)

that was tough bro! konting lamig lang. basta once you get your cam, play with it a lot and you'll know in your second buy what you really want. for me.. go get those cheaper once muna then pag gamay na gamay mo na.. get the once na for keeps na.

hth bro!

Hehehe!!!

Medyo naging mainit nga si Edmond.

Anyway, I too came from PnS, from 35mm film to APS to Digital.

Canon A710 IS was my 2nd digital camera and then this year came along Canon 450D.

I do have budget constraints, that's why entry Level lang binili ko and since I'm not going to use it in earning money.

i went strolling along avenida last tuesday, looking for ID lace suppliers, i end up in hidalgo looking for accessories for my D40X, dont have any particular accessory in mind but im ready to buy even a cool VR lens. i bought this cool universal remote (jinishi) cost is 600 (original nikon remote is 1,200) plus it works with a lot of dslr models. definitely a good buy.

tanong lang po. I hope hindi OT.

May software ba na pwedeng makita kung naka ilang actuations na ang camera?

Thanks.

hmm...if the numbering hasn't been reset, then the file num should be the same as the actuations..since sequential yung file numbering....this applies to Nikon, but I think Canon dSLRs are set to do this as well

best to look at the exif data though-- some dSLRs add the number of actuations to the exif info. there are free exif viewers that you can download :thumbsupsmiley:

buying a used dSLR chief?

hmm...if the numbering hasn't been reset, then the file num should be the same as the actuations..since sequential yung file numbering....this applies to Nikon, but I think Canon dSLRs are set to do this as well

best to look at the exif data though-- some dSLRs add the number of actuations to the exif info. there are free exif viewers that you can download :thumbsupsmiley:

buying a used dSLR chief?

hehehe magaling ka manghula bossing a. may binebenta kasing dslr sa akin. titingnan ko po yung actuations.

thanks.

I tried using an angle viewfinder before, and while useful, it does have its limitations. I was recently at a product shoot and the photographer was using the live view and manual focus on his 40D. He let me try his setup in between layouts, and I have to say I prefer the live view with manual focus because you can see the cropping much faster than using a viewfinder. Also, your back won't hurt as much since you don't have to keep bending over.

In a studio setting, live view certainly has its advantages. Once you move into sports or event photography though, I really don't think its that useful.

Everything has its limitations :P

I agree... using live-view rocks in a studio setting... the only reason why I'm not really up for it is because I shoot outdoors almost all the time and I don't see the point on buying a camera with live-view for it... its really just a matter of preference. ;)

Yup, I'm quite familiar with all the purist "you don't need a DSLR, you might just need a P&S" arguments, and frankly, I don't really care. I just think it's more nifty for a DSLR to have live view. I'd rather have the option of having both live view and the traditional one for various uses, than being stuck with just one feature.

And besides, although I'd always go for a bargain, money isn't really a problem for me.

Funny how some DSLR-users always assume that they are doing people a favor when they discourage beginners from buying one. I thank you for your relative politeness, but some others I've come across border on arrogance. It's as if they're suggesting that only a select group of people have the right to use DSLRs.

I go for a simpler rule: If you can buy it, you can use it.

============================================

So for all those clueless rich kids who want to buy DSLRs because they just want a new toy, I'd say go ahead! (I'm neither clueless nor rich, but I could relate with them, somehow.)

As they say, "Walang basagan ng trip." ;)

You have a point. If you have money to burn then by all means... get the most expensive camera that you can afford. I'm not discouraging anybody on getting one but what I'm trying to say is get something that you actually need and what you'll actually use most of the time. Also getting the most expensive gear in the market doesn't guarantee you'll be able to take shots like the pros do. I know some rich guy who owns a camera worth over a million but his photos suck. On the other hand, I know somebody who owns a PnS camera that takes better photos than him. What I'm trying to say is, get something that will let you master the basics and once you've mastered that then you could go on to the higher level. After all, cameras are just tools that makes it easier to take photos. Its the skill that makes the difference. ;)

that was tough bro! konting lamig lang. basta once you get your cam, play with it a lot and you'll know in your second buy what you really want. for me.. go get those cheaper once muna then pag gamay na gamay mo na.. get the once na for keeps na.

hth bro!

I don't think he's trying to get into a heated argument :P

Camera bodies come and go... so once you get what you want, invest in lenses.

Hi guys, just bought a Nikon d60 AND WANT TO ADD A WIDE ANLGE LENS, just want to ask ur opinion about the tokina 12-24mm F4 wide angle lens. TIA

I've been using that lens for about a year already and I think its one of those bang-for-the-buck lenses out there so I suggest you get yourself one ;)

tanong lang po. I hope hindi OT.

May software ba na pwedeng makita kung naka ilang actuations na ang camera?

Thanks.

I'm using IRFANVIEW. I lets you view the EXIF where you can see the actuations ;)

how much am i willing to spend for my first camera? 9k i guess, 10k max.

There are PnS cameras out there that have manual controls that's within your budget. Just look for one that suits you best ^_^

Just my first used digicam for 4k bucks

Not bad for 5mp. Would it be wise to upgrade to a higher mp cam soon or would this be enough for casual shooting?

I think its more than enough since you're not thinking of taking photography seriously. Also 5MPx is enough to get you to print your photos in 4x6" prints. If you're just uploading them on the web even a 2MPx camera would suffice :)

san mall po makabili ng accessory for D40? like the carrying case/bag, screen protector, even the uv filter etc...

I think Megamall and Trinoma have camera shops that sell those things. I just forgot the name of the stores. You could also Aperture Trading and Island Photo in Makati. If everything else fails, go to Hidalgo :P

Edited by Phrozhen.Khold
I see.. Kasi iniisip ko lang na baka mapagiwanan cam ko since 2mp is the minimum nowadays

If you have the money to burn... then get the most expensive one you could get. Seriously, if you're just taking photos just for the heck of it and not thinking of earning from your photos just stick with what you have. Concentrate more on getting good shots rather then thinking of what you should buy just because you thought that you're being left behind ;)

If you have the money to burn... then get the most expensive one you could get. Seriously, if you're just taking photos just for the heck of it and not thinking of earning from your photos just stick with what you have. Concentrate more on getting good shots rather then thinking of what you should buy just because you thought that you're being left behind ;)

I agree. A camera with 2MP can be printed up to 4R, 5MP up to 8R.. I'm using just a 5.1MP camera Coolpix (instamatic) camera and have been satisfied with its performance. Not to mention the videos are ok also. Looking forward to upgrading to the 12.1MP Nikon Coolpix because it has already provisions for wide angle and telezoom.