Linux Anybody?

Guest Leviticus
Can Linux run Coreldraw?  I guess you're aware of the BIR software thingy, can it also run in Linux and other Unix programs as well?

CorelDRAW ALSO NEEDS LICENSING. even if you are able to run it in Linux, you still need the licensed software

^Whoops! Sorry about that. My brother's account was logged in pala.

Anyway, that site should help. Don't hesitate to ask your questions okay? I'm sure other folks would be more than willing to help out, same as me.

P.S. How does one delete in these forums? I can't seem to find a delete button e.

^Whoops!  Sorry about that.  My brother's account was logged in pala.

Anyway, that site should help.  Don't hesitate to ask your questions okay?  I'm sure other folks would be more than willing to help out, same as me.

P.S.  How does one delete in these forums?  I can't seem to find a delete button e.

delete a post? only the mods/admin can do that, the best we members can do is edit what we said. :lol:

anyway, you are right about the site you mentioned. ubuntu linux users can learn a lot from it. i'd just like to add their official forum: ubuntuforums.org

until microsoft makes available their charity licenses in the Philippines (why they don't is mystifying), Linux should get as much exposure as possible.

Edited by hitomi
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Leviticus
I was planning to get another desktop for me to experiment on i.e. trying out Linux. Problem is getting drivers, if its an old piece of h/w chances are it won't have one. BTW, is the Fedora distribution a good choice?

baliktad ata. In my experience when the hardware is old and your linux distro is new (ie, new release) most likely you won't have any problems with drivers. and hey... you don't need a separate computer (separate desktop) to experiment on linux. you can simply make a dual boot of your computer. if you don't want the hassle of making a dual boot just go for the live cd (ubuntu is a good example).

so far Fedora core 5 is the best for me, second is UBUNTU 6. redhat enterprise edition 4 sucks in comparison to these.

hey guys i just found out that the stalls that sell pirated cds also sell linux OS! they have fedora core (complete 4 cd set!), coyote linux, suse, etc.

i know they're free but they take a long time to download so an alternative would be to buy these cds. they're relatively cheap at 100 Php per cd. :lol:

Edited by hitomi
baliktad ata.  In my experience when the hardware is old and your linux distro is new (ie, new release) most likely you won't have any problems with drivers.  and hey... you don't need a separate computer (separate desktop) to experiment on linux.  you can simply make a dual boot of your computer.  if you don't want the hassle of making a dual boot just go for the live cd (ubuntu is a good example).

so far Fedora core 5 is the best for me, second is UBUNTU 6.  redhat enterprise edition 4 sucks in comparison to these.

Hi, may I know how to install a dual boot pc?

Do you install ubuntu first before winxp or vice versa?

Thanks.

Guest Leviticus
Hi, may I know how to install a dual boot pc?

Do you install ubuntu first before winxp or vice versa?

Thanks.

Hehe...

install WinXp first and then in the desktop of winxp insert Ubuntu installer. just follow the on-screen instructions.

the tricky part is assigning which partition ubuntu and winxp will boot.

also, anyone out there knows anything about THIN CLIENT MANAGEMENT?

any help would be appreciated

baliktad ata.  In my experience when the hardware is old and your linux distro is new (ie, new release) most likely you won't have any problems with drivers.  and hey... you don't need a separate computer (separate desktop) to experiment on linux.  you can simply make a dual boot of your computer.  if you don't want the hassle of making a dual boot just go for the live cd (ubuntu is a good example).

so far Fedora core 5 is the best for me, second is UBUNTU 6.  redhat enterprise edition 4 sucks in comparison to these.

agree... if the hardware's old most probably linux has got a driver for it. if you just want to experiment and you don't want a dual boot use the live CD version of Ubuntu. Ubuntu's great for newbies to linux. You can also install VMWare to set up any number of virtual machines to test any linux distribution.

I'd go for Ubuntu and then CentOS as great linux distributions.

Hehe...

install WinXp first and then in the desktop of winxp insert Ubuntu installer.  just follow the on-screen instructions. 

the tricky part is assigning which partition ubuntu and winxp will boot.

also, anyone out there knows anything about THIN CLIENT MANAGEMENT?

any help would be appreciated

Thanks, would that procedure also applies to 64bit ubuntu?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leviticus

Hey linux guys. Let's make this thread active again.

Also, I need input on Linux in a corporate environment (I'm in a call center right now); primarily the DISADVANTAGES of using linux as the main OS.

More power to OpenSource!

mga sir tulong medyo di ako marunong mag install eh :D

the server installed kasi yjust the OS without the softwares and compiller such as GCC and CC.

now im installing gcc-3.4.5-2.i386.rpm by using

rpm -Uvh gcc-3.4.5-2.i386.rpm

but it gives me an error

warning: gcc-3.4.5-2.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e

error: Failed dependencies:

binutils >= 2.15.92.0.2-18 is needed by gcc-3.4.5-2.i386

cpp = 3.4.5-2 is needed by gcc-3.4.5-2.i386

glibc-devel >= 2.2.90-12 is needed by gcc-3.4.5-2.i386

libgcc >= 3.4.5-2 is needed by gcc-3.4.5-2.i386

Suggested resolutions:

glibc-devel-2.3.4-2.i386.rpm

now i tried to install the said dependencies

rpm -Uvh glibc-devel-2.3.4-2.19.i386.rpm

it gives me now an error like this

warning: glibc-devel-2.3.4-2.19.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e

error: Failed dependencies:

glibc = 2.3.4-2.19 is needed by glibc-devel-2.3.4-2.19.i386

glibc-headers is needed by glibc-devel-2.3.4-2.19.i386

glibc-headers = 2.3.4-2.19 is needed by glibc-devel-2.3.4-2.19.i386

Suggested resolutions:

glibc-headers-2.3.4-2.i386.rpm

paano ba dapat gawin ko to install it without those error messages.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

The error messages point to dependcy issues. This means that other RPM packages need to be installed first before you are allowed by the system to install gcc.

An easier way would be to go into the "Add Remove Programs" (this has a different name in Linux; sorry I forgot), and then just add gcc from its corresponding group. The program will tell you what CDs will be needed to install gcc and its dependencies.

HTH,

Dauphin74

the server installed kasi yjust the OS without the softwares and compiller such as GCC and CC.

but it gives me an error

Thank you in advance.

Guest Leviticus

but it gives me an error

Thank you in advance.

it just means mali ang paginstall mo. it also means mali or corrupted ang mga installers mo. better install the full linux package again; or hindi lang magcompatible ang hardware (drivers) mo with the distro's stored available hardware list

but it gives me an error

Thank you in advance.

what distro are you using? since you are installing rpms, I assume it's Red Hat, Fedora, Mandrake or another rpm based distro.

You need to use a package management tool like yum or urpmi to install new packages. This will take care of the dependencies. In Debian-based distros this is done by apt-get.

Google for yum or urpmi

@bukn0y: if you can identefy the required (dependency) rpms from the error messages, you can download that rpm and place it on the same directory as the other rpms you wish to install, then you may call rpm again as:

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

btw, yum is yummy :P

Hey linux guys. Let's make this thread active again.

Also, I need input on Linux in a corporate environment (I'm in a call center right now); primarily the DISADVANTAGES of using linux as the main OS.

More power to OpenSource!

for a while i thought this thread was purged :P

seen and replied to your post regarding samba on the groups and chapters thread.

over the years i have deployed linux as vpn server, file and print server, content filtering, and as a router with redundancy.

Edited by cruesome

but it gives me an error

Thank you in advance.

pre... yum install gcc-3.4.5-2.i386.rpm

or apt-get install gcc-*****

you get the picture..

Guest Leviticus
@bukn0y: if you can identefy the required (dependency) rpms from the error messages, you can download that rpm and place it on the same directory as the other rpms you wish to install, then you may call rpm again as:

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

btw, yum is yummy :P

for a while i thought this thread was purged :P

seen and replied to your post regarding samba on the groups and chapters thread.

over the years i have deployed linux as vpn server, file and print server, content filtering, and as a router with redundancy.

Thanks pala sa samba input mo. Gave me ang insight on linux networking. Madugo talaga as compared to windows networking. Hehe. This time around I'm undergoing self-study on how to connect a client linux desktop to a server box so that the user's profiles/files can be access whichever computer a user would log in. Malabo ba? Hehe... need advice if tama ang direction ng study ko: correct ba that I'm reading on NIS?