Europe On A Budget

• 1 month later...

One way to cut costs if you're going cross-country is by taking an overnight train to your next destination. Saves hotel costs.

I'm thinking of how I can take advantage of my Eurail Pass this coming month-end.

The brochure tells me you can hop on-hop-off anywhere during the time period in the Pass.

Paris to Amsterdam, then go back to Brussels, or Antwerp, or Rotterdam, or Utrecht, or push on to Luxembourg...hmm

the mind boggles....

• 4 weeks later...

Italy - Take a tour package

There are so much cultural places to see here and a tour gives the best value for your money. Oh, and eat your heart out. Sarap.

France - Rent an apartment in Paris and tour the place yourself.

It's better to keep a relaxed pace here and appreciate the whole romantic ambience. Visit the tourist spots. Do picnics in the parks. Ride the carousel beside the Eiffel Tower. And just fall in love. ;)

^^

florence is like a 2-3 hr drive from venice so plan your trip well esp if you intend to go on a day trip. you can check out the train sched for this, too.

just to confuse you further, you might want to check out pisa which is about an hour and a half drive west from florence. fascinating site that leaning tower.

I have to say, of all the sights I have seen in my many travels, the spectacle of the Leaning Tower of Pisa must be on the top of the list, it simply took my breath away.. I remember laughing once I saw it, just hysterical at the amazing sight, I look forward to seeing it again soon...

Amsterdam

Just rent a bike and go around the city. It is a bike-friemdly place. A good route would be by the Prinsengracht which runs along the city's longest canal. You pass by small, quiet streets and picture-perfect apartment buildings. If you go hungry there are lots of small cafes and eateries along the route.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i have tried a multi country travel tour around europe several times. it really depends where you want to go... it might take some planning but i suggest you plan your travel around cheap budget flights. trains though they may seem like they should be cheaper really aren't and to maximize time budget flights are the way to go. try air berlin or german wings websites. i think they offer the cheapest rates now. ryanair is also a good option.

GreyTRD, if its your first time in Europe, i would suggest the more well-known countries/cities such as France (paris), UK (London), Spain (Barcelona), Portugal, Germany, Swtizerland, etc. etc.

And the train network is very extensive, so take the trains rather than the planes. Much more convenient.

check the internet sites such as hostelsworld, etc. for backpacker type of accommodations.

Don't forget that the UK is not part of the Schengen, so you have to get a separate visa for it.

a 28 day trip is kinda difficult to work with. its best to pick a major city and travel to its surrounding areas via train then fly out to other european cities via budget plane. for accommodations try couch surfing websites. its really the best way if backpacking. besides, the locals would give you the best info on how to get around. good luck on this trip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Going by train in a good idea, to see Europe, but it takes some traveltime. So maybe choose a part of Europe, like in the south Italy, South of France, Spain Portugal. Or in the middle Switzerland, Austria, Germay, France or in the East, Gemany, Poland, Czech. The eastern part i more budget oriented. Most expenxive will be Skadinavia (Denmark...) and Switzerland.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have to say, of all the sights I have seen in my many travels, the spectacle of the Leaning Tower of Pisa must be on the top of the list, it simply took my breath away.. I remember laughing once I saw it, just hysterical at the amazing sight, I look forward to seeing it again soon...

Take a photo "pushing" the Tower of Pisa to one side. I've seen lot's of tourists having fun doing this. Tried it myself and was amazed at the effect. :lol:

While it's still there, make sure to visit Giglio Island to see the Costa Victoria cruise ship lying on its side after Capain Schettino plowed the ship into rocks close to shore.

Here's another photo of that modern day Titanic.

While it's still there, make sure to visit Giglio Island to see the Costa Victoria cruise ship lying on its side after Capain Schettino plowed the ship into rocks close to shore.

• 7 months later...

hi all!

was wondering if any of you who've been to europe can share their tips and tricks on how to keep spending to a minimum. it's one of the most expensive continents to visit and i've been curious about trying backpacking or at least budget traveling through there.

the wheres would also be so helpful! like where to stay in which cities, where to go that's off the beaten track.

it'd be great to hear from you guys! thanks in advance!

:)

Go to vienna austria and dont forget to visit laufhaus vienna

• 1 year later...

I understand the captain of this ship abandoned his ship before the passengers were able to get off. Reminds me of our own ship employees who recenty abandoned their passengers when the ship they were on started to sink.

tsk tsk tsk, it should not be that way, the captain should be the last person to leave the ship.