How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

I was born in the PI, grew up there and even had a small consulting trade going before I left for the USA in 1984. I was already and adult male who has enjoyed the club scene and the good food here. Currently I support my mom in the provinces.

I have seen balikbayans who are obviously so by their clothes (short pants, leather sandals, US designer wear, etc). I have also observed balikbayans that really pisses me off with their attitude, ESPECIALLY their hoittty-toitty manners, noses up in the air, and speaking english which is thickly filipino accented. I speak fluent english that is midwest (no accent) and if you were to listen to just my voice, you would not say it was a non-white speaking it. But, when I am back home, I speak tagalog with the locals and chinese w/ my relatives. I enjoy speaking our dialects because it gives me practice and it is just so easy to communicate in 3 languages.

I love a lot of things about the Philippines and there are a lot of things that irritate me too. Things I can not change, I just to accept it as part of the fabric of life there, and move on. And enjoy the other parts of life there. Believe me, life in the PI is much more fun than life in the USA, which is very bland and boring. I also dress very casually to avoid drawing attention to myself. My Ex-GF once said that she did not believe me at first when my cousins told her I was a US resident on only there for a vacation because I did not dress or act so, only when I was ready to leave did she really believe it was true.

This is a true scenario: I was hanging out w/ my cousin and going w/ him to see his suppliers (bosses) for several years, so they know who/what I am. One of them asked me - How do I like the USA (is it fun, easy to make money, etc)? I replied - No, its a hard and boring life, more like existing to earn money, no quality of living like we're used to. He laughed ...... and said - You're "totoong tao"., and stated further that most of the rich or successful people in the US he talked to have the same comment as me ........ whereas the lowly ones on the totem pole come home bragging about how great they are in the USA.

i agree, when i go home i try not to wear too dressy clothes and i also hate it when other balikbayans put on that fake english tone but their filipino accent is stronger. The social life here in australia is boring at times but thats because its such a multicultural environment you have to mix with different nationality & groups. And sometimes you miss hanging out with filipinos but when you do u get stuck up, back stabbing & plastic people.

newayz peace :D

I too left the Phils when I was young. We moved to the US half way through my 4th year of high school. At that time, I remember being so angry at my mom for taking me away from my friends. I wasn't one of those who was dreaming to go to the US. To this day, I still consider Filipinas my true home.

Not all balikbayans are bad. I personally try no to be critical of anything that is supposed to be "bad" in the Philippines. In my opinion, since I don't live there what I say don't count. Now, I am just a visitor. Since I am just a visitor, it is dsirecpectful for me to say anything bad about the place. When you are visiting and staying at someone's hosue, are you going to complain when the house is dirty and not up to your standards? I hope not. I do see a lot of balikbayans constantly comparing the Philippine against The US. When I see this, I just say to myself that these people are idiots. To me, this is like comparing the house of a rich man to the house of poor man. Of course, the rich man's house would be better.

When I visit, which is what I am doing next month, I try to focus more on the good side of the Philippines rather than the bad side. The Philippines has many good things to offer. It has lots of beautiful women (btw, MA is my favorite), beaches and friendly people. The nightlife is considered one of the best in the world. I cant wait to experience these again although I am not sure what to concentrate on first. Let's see?? I think I'll concentarte on the beautiful women first.

When I get there, I will not to dress down or dress up. I will just dress the way I normally dress. If that makes me look like a balikbayan so be it. Anyway, it's not the appearance that counts. So, when you see someone next month dressed like a balikbayan, go easy on him. He might not be bad guy. He might even buy you a drink and become your new friend.

Dodo

"and in the end, the love yo take is equal to the love you make"

I strongly agree with that. Life here in Canada is pretty much all work and no play. I really miss life in the Philippines, hopefully I can come back soon for GOOD.

Well why not kung malaki na naman ang naipon mo I suggest you come back here for good. Yon lang ang maganda sa mga immigrant/citizen na katulad nyo. Kung ayaw nyo na ulit sa Pinas balik abroad ulit kayo. Take the case of those fil-am/fil-can basketball players, actors and actresses. If things dont work out for them here they can go back to their country of origin. An ex. would be Vanessa Del Bianco. Kaso si Vanessa pinadeport ata. Pero nakabalik pa rin dito. Tapos nasa Canada na ulit.

For those who have become naturalized citizens of other countries, especially those who left our lovely PI when they were still very young, please remember that you can regain your Philippine citizenship under the Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003 (RA no. 9225), without having to give up your citizenship in your present country of residence.

For those who have become naturalized citizens of other countries, especially those who left our lovely PI when they were still very young, please remember that you can regain your Philippine citizenship under the Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003 (RA no. 9225), without having to give up your citizenship in your present country of residence.

is this the dual citizenship

Yes. The law is commonly known as the Dual Citizenship Law. All you have to do is to take an oath. There is a downside, though. Once you regain the rights and privileges of being Filipino again (e.g. the right to vote), you also have to accept the obligations of citizenship. For instance, in times of war (God forbid), you can be called up for service.

Edited by jt2003

It's one of the things I am going to do when I get to Manila next month. I am also there to buy a property for a second home.

Yes.  The law is commonly known as the Dual Citizenship Law.  All you have to do is to take an oath. There is a downside, though.  Once you regain the rights and privileges of being Filipino again (e.g. the right to vote), you also have to accept the obligations of citizenship.  For instance, in times of war (God forbid), you can be called up for service.

I am not familiar about being called up for service under the obligations of citizenship under the dual citizenship law but if this is the case, It is very unlikely that this will happen. This is usually the last resort after the goverment has used all it's war assets.

I am more worried if for example you have dual Australian-Philippine citizenship and civil unrest breaks in HK while you're shopping. haha..

The closest hosting country in terms of distance which in this case will be the Philippines will have to help you. In my opinion, I would prefer to be evacuated by the Australian government.

So having a dual citizenship would give me permission to acquire real estate (house) compared to (condos) if I'm not a Filipino Citizen?

Let's clear this up. If you've had the property before you gave up Philippine citizenship, there's no problem. If you're a Filipino who has acquired citizenship in a foreign country, you CAN inherit property. Lawyers, please correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but I think you have to be a Filipino (even by its broadest definition) to purchase and own real estate in the Philippines.

yon nga lang downside nyan. pero ang pinas hindi naman sila nagdadraft para sa giyera unlike the us.

Pareng airmax, the draft has existed in our lovely PI for years. Many of us just don't know about it. One of my uncles, for instance, was drafted during the 70s. We also have mandatory "retraining" of randomly selected CMT/ROTC grads, which amounts to a "short time" draft. If your name is in the files, you can be called up for "re-training." Unless, of course, you're too old for anyone to bother with you.

Yes.  The law is commonly known as the Dual Citizenship Law.  All you have to do is to take an oath. There is a downside, though.  Once you regain the rights and privileges of being Filipino again (e.g. the right to vote), you also have to accept the obligations of citizenship.  For instance, in times of war (God forbid), you can be called up for service.

As a dual citizen, you will be holding two passports. If the Philippines calls you up for service, you egt out of twon quickly using your other passport.

not really coz my auntie has two house and lot in Bohol & Cebu and shes fully australian citizen...

As far as I knowm beofre RA 9225 was passed, non-citizens can buy property but with limitations. Only a certain sqm of urban and rural land. With the new law, there is no limitation. So, how much is your auntie's property and hwo dis she acquire it?

Let's clear this up.  If you've had the property before you gave up Philippine citizenship, there's no problem.  If you're a Filipino who has acquired citizenship in a foreign country, you CAN inherit property.  Lawyers, please correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but I think you have to be a Filipino (even by its broadest definition) to purchase and own real estate in the Philippines.

I am not a lawyer but I know you are correct. I am now a US citizen and I inherited my mother's real estate holdings when she died (2003). The title was transferred to my name and it says in the title that I am a US citizen. In fact, I can will the property to jsut about anyone regardless of their nationality and they will inherit the property if I die. If you visit, any Philippine Consulate website, this is well explained.

Pareng airmax, the draft has existed in our lovely PI for years.  Many of us just don't know about it. One of my uncles, for instance, was drafted during the 70s.  We also have mandatory "retraining" of randomly selected CMT/ROTC grads, which amounts to a "short time" draft.  If your name is in the files, you can be called up for "re-training."  Unless, of course, you're too old for anyone to bother with you.

ot kahit magtatawag pa sila hindi ako interested pumunta hehehe. btw ung ibang mga kabayan natin ang view sa balikbayan madatung. ung isang kaibigang kong taga carson, ca nong umuwi s pinas naubos ung dalang pocket money nya kasi marami syang kamaganak na nahingi ng pera kawawa naman.

Edited by airmax

As far as I remember, at least back in the mid-90s, this is how it went:

1) Non-Filipinos are not allowed to own buy property in the Philippines except as part of a "corporation" but only as a minority stake holder (i.e. no more than 49% of the corporation).

2) Former-Filipinos (Balikabayans) can buy up to 1000 sq. meter of residential property only. This property cannot be used for business.

3) Former-Filipinos are not allowed to buy any rural land or property (i.e. farmlands, etc.).

Now with the passage of dual-citizenship, I believe that property ownership rules have changed so that a dual-citizen Filipinos can buy any property.

However, now as a citizen of the Philippines, the dual-citizen Filipiono is obligated to pay taxes to the Philippine government, inculding property taxes and income taxes.

I'm not a lawyer but I have looked into the issue since back in the 90's when I was planning to buy some land in Palawan with my brothers and cousins. Even up to now, I am weighing the issue in my mind.

By the way, I emigrated to the U.S. right after 6th grade (that's why I really take issue with Boomouse's allegation about who are Balikabayans) with my mother and brothers. After college, I returned to the Philippines and worked for 3 years (not as some ex-pat with ex-pat pay, but as some regular worker with just enough pay to live paycheck to paycheck :blink: ) then got married and returned to the U.S.

Now I go back to the Philippines every year on vacation and send money to my step-mother and my younger sister to support them.

Someone should strat a topic on dual citizenship if one is not already out there.  We have gne off topic in this one.  The topic discussion is how Filipinos view balikbayans.

Actually, we're still on-topic when we talk about dual citizenship, because it really has something to do with how Filipinos view balikbayans.

When the dual citizenship law was being debated and discussed, there were a lot of questions. One of the most discussed was: Are you willing to be drafted in the Armed Forces of the Philippines? Another question: If the Philippines goes to war against your country of present residence, with whom will you side?

As you pointed out in another post, a person with two passports can easily leave the country if he or she is called up for service. A lot of people do resent the "best of both worlds" scenario. You can stay, you can own land, you can vote and enjoy all the privileges of a Filipino, but you can also leave any time you want should things get bad. Filipinos, for the most part, resent that because they (we) have nowhere else to go. We have only one country.

I'm not saying dual citizenship is bad. I'm just saying it should be used responsibly, if chosen.

Let's clear this up.  If you've had the property before you gave up Philippine citizenship, there's no problem.  If you're a Filipino who has acquired citizenship in a foreign country, you CAN inherit property.  Lawyers, please correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but I think you have to be a Filipino (even by its broadest definition) to purchase and own real estate in the Philippines.

like i said before my auntie owns a house and property in Bohol and Cebu and she is a full Australian citizen for almost 17 years now...So that statement is correct i guess...

EDIT: Sorry i didnt read further into the posts...forget this remark...

Edited by luol_deng