PacMan's Corner

menime

hey brawler... you put a lot of sense in this forum. keep it up!

nonetheless, i think there are enough talents out there in the feather and superfeather category to give manny a run for his money (no pun intended); valero, joan guzman, juarez, scott harrison(?) to name a few. these fighters will be big paydays for manny.

if things will go for manny, he can unify the 130 lbs. titles by beating MAB, guzman and valero. then he can think about the 135 division.

^^^The next two logical fights for Pacquiao is against Barrera and Valero. I have this funny feeling that he will actually take home more with the Valero fight and the total purse and PPV will be more than a bout with Barrera. Pacquiao and Vaqlera have the same all out, face exchanging, toe to toe, leave your balls in the ring style that will rake in a ton of moolah at the tills ad PPV. A lot of boxing experts have actually stated that THIS IS the fight that people will give an arm and a leg to watch. Pacquaio being the name star and the bigger draw will get the lion share of the purse and the PPV shares and he can bring home anywhere from $ 8-10 M per fight. That's the reason for backing out from Golden Boys Promotion. The Barrera fight will always happen and the boxers will bring home their shares, only the promoters cuts will be affected as Top Rank will have to work with De La Hoya.

If Pacquiao loses to Barrera, a trilogy is expected while Varela will at least have two fights with Pacquiao depending on the outcome and on how Valera will step up against better competition. That's 3-5 more top quality fights. I don't know how Pacquiao can squeeze in more fights after that.

The fight that I want to see, for my own selfish reasons, is a title fight at 126 lbs. serving as a tune up for a 135 lbs. fight for a crown. I have said it on this thread way way before that Pacquiao is one of those rare fighters who are beyond belts and titles. Just like De La Hoya or Mayweather. People will always pay good money just to see him fight. But I still want him to cement his legacy completely with the belts. Right now he is a two time champion (WBC Flyweight and IBF Super-Bantamweight) from the legitimate alphabet boxing bodies (a third crown, Ring Magazine's Peoples Champion at Featherwieght does not count though is more regarded if you ask me). A third crown at Super-Featherweight against Barrera and/or Valero is almost inevitable to bring him in that rare field of boxers winning titles in three different weight classes and the first and only Asian boxer to do it. A title bout in the Featherweight class can give him a chance at four titles. It can be anybody, even Marquez but I'd rather Pacquiao fight somebody else if only to spite him for turning up a rematch. Going after a fifth at lightrweight will be the trickier one as he needs to face an easy opponent for the title. They'll probably fight him because of the money. Some of these champions have not seen a purse over $ 1 or 1.5M so a big pay day is worth the risk.

Edited by brawler201

pardon my ignorance, but who is varela brawler?

manny should fight barrera after valero.

5 million dollars would be a lot of money

next in line should be joan guzman

i saw some highlights of valero and guzman's fights in youtube

im not impressed with valero

manny will knock valero because this guy has no defense

he's just pure power just like manny on his earlier fights.

i want to see a rematch between mp and jmm, the greatest counterpuncher i've ever sean

Valero is the WBA Champ. Parang Pacman ang style, kaya magandang match up. Exciting para sa crowd. It may actually be the easier fight for him.

Barrera is really the obvious choice because of the money and all the prestige and legacy defining hooks attached with the fight but because of the impending legal dispute between De La Hoya and Arum, the Barrera fight may take a back seat. Medyo personalan na sii Arum at Golden Boy, may bad blood nang kasama.

Juan Miguel Marquez is indeed one of the best counterpunchers out there, toss up between him and Wrinky Wright (my personal favorite) as the best in the business. It wil be a hard fight and I'm always wary for Pacquaio fighting counterpunchers.

You mean, nung dumating lang si Pacquiao saka tayo nagkaroon ng reason to be proud as Filipinos? Kawawa naman pala tayo sobra. Kung wala pala tayong boxing hero, parang wala tayong ginagawa kundi matulog at kumain. Wow.

Tsk tsk tsk.

Everyone... every nation... big or small... poor or rich... CELEBRATES THEIR HEROES... Manny Pacquiao is a SYMBOL. A POWERFUL SYMBOL. Should Pacquiao fall (and eventually he will)... that doesn't mean we as a nation would be DONE FOR... we were a nation before Pacquiao... and we will be a PROUD NATION STILL after Pacquiao... But he is a hero (wether cynics like you would admit it or not)... The Pacquiaos in us, will live on... and will continue to fight on...

Ikaw... what have you done to make this country proud?

Edited by schizo
He prefers fighting aging mediocre champion Barrera.. Who is sadly another whipping boy for Manny.

He should have accepted Joan Guzman's (30-0) invitation or Edwin Valero (33-0)..

Is he afraid of fighting young promising fighters??? and opted for the safer win against Lolo Barrera

I will give you 5 million (USD) reasons why Pacquiao wants to fight Barrera over everyone else. The fight business... is a BUSINESS...

I will give you 5 million (USD) reasons why Pacquiao wants to fight Barrera over everyone else. The fight business... is a BUSINESS...

AMEN sir schizo! Boxing is a brutal sport and anything can happen. Sabi nga pagtuntong ng boksingero sa ring e nakatapak naman ang isang paa nila sa hukay. Might as well take Lolo Barrera and earn 5M win or lose.

He prefers fighting aging mediocre champion Barrera.. Who is sadly another whipping boy for Manny.

He should have accepted Joan Guzman's (30-0) invitation or Edwin Valero (33-0)..

Is he afraid of fighting young promising fighters??? and opted for the safer win against Lolo Barrera

I don't believe that Pacquiao or anybody within his inner circle has categorically stated that that they WILL NEVER FIGHT Valero or Guzman. Roach did say he wanted Pacquiao to go after Barrera as he has the belts and the prestige and money angle is higher. Pacquiao also aired out his preference for Barrera but also relished the thought of fighting a rushing bull type of a brawler in Valero. This is an easier fight for Pacquiao than a fight versus Barrera. But fights don't just happen out ouf nothing. You can't expect Pacquiao to just pull out a schedule out of his ass just because he got a verbal challenge from the next stud to be. Everything will fall in place, everybody who is worthy to be an opponent will have his day. It maybe a short one but he will have his day. Pacquaio has fought anybody worth fighting to reach where he is right now. Why would Valero or Guzman be any different? Though the fight may be challenging, Pacquiao also needs to weigh how these fights will add to his legacy and his bankbook. Guzman will not draw the big crowds and the money will not be great. Valero can't even fight in the US as he cannot get a license because of a head injury. How will boxing authorities issue him a license now when he faces one of the hardest (if not the hardest) hitters in the business? A fight in the Philippines may be interesting but its hard to get a PPV slot if you're fighting halfwa across the world.

As far as I can remember, Valero's name has only been floated as a possible opponent and nothing is definite. If his name appears on a legitimate offer for the right money under the right conditions and Pacquiao declines it, then you can probably air this view with more authority. On Guzman's side, it just a shoutout, his handlers and managers have not even formally made the first move to challenge Pacquiao. Pacquiao won't just fight anybody on the basis of a verbal challenge.

Pacquiao has never been afraid of anything. You look at the way he has fought better and stronger opponents as the underdog when he was coming up for the first time against stronger opponents and branding his as afraid will be the last thing on your mind.

Another reason why he is probably not fighting Valero or Guzman is that nothing definite is on the table yet while the Barrera has been years in the making and is the best money making fight at the moment for him (though the Valero fight may have some interesting financial upside in the long run if Valero is indeed the real thing. Still the real thing Valero will still be no match for Pacquiao who will probably see his 19 year old self in the Venezuelan). Pacquiao is way way past trying to prove himself as a boxer, he doesn't need to fight Valero or Guzman to prove his worth. His worth and legacy will never be diminished even if he retires now and never fights again. He will make it to the Boxing Hall of Fame while Guzman and Valero will not even be sure of cracking any significant pound-per-pound list during their careers. But he will still fight them once the offer is on the table, the offer makes sense and if he feels motivated to fight lesser names who just want to ride him for a big pay day and a chance for an upset. People may say what they want to say about Barrera and Morales but until Guzman and Valero's names make it on any noteable best pound-per-pound rankings or beat any of the two Mexican legends in a face-off, I wouldn't rank them as significantly worthier challengers to Pacquiao.

Edited by brawler201
Everyone... every nation... big or small... poor or rich... CELEBRATES THEIR HEROES... Manny Pacquiao is a SYMBOL. A POWERFUL SYMBOL. Should Pacquiao fall (and eventually he will)... that doesn't mean we as a nation would be DONE FOR... we were a nation before Pacquiao... and we will be a PROUD NATION STILL after Pacquiao... But he is a hero (wether cynics like you would admit it or not)... The Pacquiaos in us, will live on... and will continue to fight on...

Ikaw... what have you done to make this country proud?

pare ko, easy ka lang.

my point is easy lang tayo sa pag worship sa isang tao. fan din ako ni manny and he is doing a good thing for the country. but let's put things in the proper places. the way many filipinos glorify manny's feats is over the top. medyo hindi na maganda. the way politicians and the media jump on the bandwagon with their own agendas. we are putting him to the level of a national hero. wtf! is he dying for the country? the filipinos are putting him in the level of rizal, bonifacio and ninoy aquino!

ikaw, ganun ka rin ba?

pare ko, easy ka lang.

ikaw, ganun ka rin ba?

Well, if you put it that way... then I will agree with you... medyo OVERKILL naman talaga ang MEDIA attention kay Manny. Hey, even Manny is getting tired of it by now!

Naah... I DO NOT WORSHIP MANNY! He is just a guy. A great Filipino pugilist... hanggang dun lang... but he DID THE COUNTRY PROUD... at a time when all we were known for, as a nation, was that we have a cheater for a president who replaced another corrupt president.

Manny is welcome glass of water in the dessert.

so the pacman-mania continues...... now, what are the effects of these "mania" to the amateurboxing? Does it mean more and more amateur boxers will, if given a chance, fight for professional level and hope to be the "next pacman"? for me, we must never ever forget the amateur boxing for this is our only hope for our first olympic gold, the only thing that matters most when your concern is the national pride, not just money and entertainment the pro boxing can give...

mukhang pera talaga si pacman. isipin mo pumirma na sa golden boy nung makita na mas malaki ang pera sa top rank pumirma din siya kaya hayun gulo ang resulta dahil sa pera. sana magsilbing aral ito sa iba.

Boxing yan, talagang money talks. Lahat ng pro, ang habol bigger payday. There is no honor in pro boxing. Lalo na pag pera ang usapan. Ang problema kay Pacquiao, tanga ang mga nakapaligid sa kanya. Si Pacquiao maiintindihan mo dahil siya naman ang boksingero at hindi mo naman na maaasahan na naiintindihan niya lahat ang ng mga alalahanin sa pagpasok sa kontrata. Hindi din naman nakapag aral yan. Ang may sagot niyan dapat, yung mga tao sa paligid niya. Hindi man lang binasa yung fine print ng contract na hindi siya puwedeng pumirma kung hindi pa tapos ang laban kay Morales. Ayun, nagkabutas ngayon si Arum na pakitaan siya ng mas mataas na kontrata para umatras kay De Lao Hoya. Kung wala pang napirmahang kontrata yang si Pacquiao kay De La Hoya, hindi maghahanap ng magandang laban yan si Arum na may mas mataas na pera para kay Pacquaio. Sa isang banda, nakatulong din yung pagpirma kay De La Hoya para mapilit si Top Rank na gumawa ng mas malaking laban para sa kanya. Ang mali lang, nakapirma na siya kaya pag atras niya, kahit sabihing nagkamali lang sila, di pa rin magandang tingnan. Mas mabuti kung nakipag negotiate lang siya, kinalat niya yung offer ni Goldenb Boy at nagpa price war siya. Pero talagang kulang sa diskarte, mula kay Pacquaio at sa mga taong nakpaligid sa kanya na dapat mas alam nyan. Para namang di sila kumukubra ng malaki sa panalo ni Pacquiao kaya't dapat alam nila ang tamang gawin dahil binabayaran sila para alamin ang tamang gawin. Ano pa ang dahilan at hindi nabigyan ng magandang abiso si Pacquiao, kasalanan na yan ng mga dapat magbigay ng abiso. Pag nagkademandahan yan tuloy, freezer si Pacquaio at walang laban.

Edited by brawler201
mukhang pera talaga si pacman. isipin mo pumirma na sa golden boy nung makita na mas malaki ang pera sa top rank pumirma din siya kaya hayun gulo ang resulta dahil sa pera. sana magsilbing aral ito sa iba.

Tell you what, let us start a peitition to get Fr. James Reuter to fight Marco Antonio Barera... yan ang good example sa mga Pinoy!

Boxing yan, talagang money talks. Lahat ng pro, ang habol bigger payday. There is no honor in pro boxing. Lalo na pag pera ang usapan. Ang problema kay Pacquiao, tanga ang mga nakapaligid sa kanya. Si Pacquiao maiintindihan mo dahil siya naman ang boksingero at hindi mo naman na maaasahan na naiintindihan niya lahat ang ng mga alalahanin sa pagpasok sa kontrata. Hindi din naman nakapag aral yan. Ang may sagot niyan dapat, yung mga tao sa paligid niya. Hindi man lang binasa yung fine print ng contract na hindi siya puwedeng pumirma kung hindi pa tapos ang laban kay Morales. Ayun, nagkabutas ngayon si Arum na pakitaan siya ng mas mataas na kontrata para umatras kay De Lao Hoya. Kung wala pang napirmahang kontrata yang si Pacquiao kay De La Hoya, hindi maghahanap ng magandang laban yan si Arum na may mas mataas na pera para kay Pacquaio. Sa isang banda, nakatulong din yung pagpirma kay De La Hoya para mapilit si Top Rank na gumawa ng mas malaking laban para sa kanya. Ang mali lang, nakapirma na siya kaya pag atras niya, kahit sabihing nagkamali lang sila, di pa rin magandang tingnan. Mas mabuti kung nakipag negotiate lang siya, kinalat niya yung offer ni Goldenb Boy at nagpa price war siya. Pero talagang kulang sa diskarte, mula kay Pacquaio at sa mga taong nakpaligid sa kanya na dapat mas alam nyan. Para namang di sila kumukubra ng malaki sa panalo ni Pacquiao kaya't dapat alam nila ang tamang gawin dahil binabayaran sila para alamin ang tamang gawin. Ano pa ang dahilan at hindi nabigyan ng magandang abiso si Pacquiao, kasalanan na yan ng mga dapat magbigay ng abiso. Pag nagkademandahan yan tuloy, freezer si Pacquaio at walang laban.

pacman is living up to his monicker. kain lang ng kain hehehe. ok lang yun pac. this is your time to make tons of money. bihira sa mga boxers ang nakakarating sa ganyang estado so make the most of it. kaso wag pirma ng pirma pag nabigyan ng bolpen hehehe. marami dyan gustong gumawa ng pera from your efforts. study the business of promotion and don't trust anyone. everybody wants to be your friend pag madami kang pera. "only the paranoid survives!"

Dream match ko for now ang Pacquiao-Valero.. Beat the pretender agad bago magkaroon ng kumpyansa. Valero's 20W-0L-20KOs record sure looks impressive pero ang napabilib ako is on the 18 straight 1st round KOs. Even Tyson, Mayweather Jr, Ali, or Pacquiao didn't knock their 1st 18 opponents in the 1st round.

Valero may have fought patsies, pero who didn't?! :D

After disposing Valero, then he can beat up MAB again!

Dream match ko for now ang Pacquiao-Valero.. Beat the pretender agad bago magkaroon ng kumpyansa. Valero's 20W-0L-20KOs record sure looks impressive pero ang napabilib ako is on the 18 straight 1st round KOs. Even Tyson, Mayweather Jr, Ali, or Pacquiao didn't knock their 1st 18 opponents in the 1st round.

Valero may have fought patsies, pero who didn't?! :D

After disposing Valero, then he can beat up MAB again!

not impressed with valero

i saw some highlights of his 19th fight

too slow

no defense

just power

buy mp has more power

mp will eat him alive