PacMan's Corner

menime

COMPILATION OF PREDICTIONS FROM EXPERTS

by Taga Ipil

“An excellent small fighter like Pacquiao can win against a big but not as talented fighter like (Ricky) Hatton and can also win against Oscar De La Hoya, who was no longer in his peak (when Pacquiao beat him last year),” said Chavez.

“Cotto is better than those two and is bigger and stronger than Pacquiao. With everything else equal, if you have one talented small man and one equally talented big man, the bigger one will win,” continued Chavez, describing the 29-year-old banger as a “complete fighter.”

-Joe Chavez

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/227295/hi ... iao-s-side

********************************************************************************

It doesn’t matter how fast Pacquiao is. He’ll only be as good as he was in his highly questionable 12 round split decision victory over Juan Manuel Marquez last year. That’s a true gauge of how good Pacquiao is, and the thing that boxing fans should be looking at when determining how he’ll do against Cotto. I can take one look at that fight and say with a high degree of certainty that Cotto is going to batter Pacquiao like a rag doll around the ring.

And Pacquiao’s speed won’t matter one little bit. Speed is power, but when you have someone as small as Pacquiao, you need more than speed to win; You need size, and that’s something that Pacquiao is in short supply if in this fight. I’m right about this and you’ll agree with me later.

-Manuel Perez

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2009/11/pac ... o-limited/

********************************************************************************

"Chavez pointed to few historical examples to prove his point. He doesn't see how Pacquiao will be able to deal with Cotto's size and strength. He thinks Cotto will be able to neutalize the speed of Manny."

- Joe Chavez

http://www.boxingscene.com/index.php?m=show&id=23159

Cotto says: “He’s just another boxer who comes to my division and challenge me for my title. The night of November 14 I’m going to be prepared for him, and I’m pretty sure I’m going to beat Manny Pacquiao.”

-http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/garethadavies/100002930/miguel-cottomanny-pacquiao-just-another-boxer-watch-me-shock-him/

"So you are a Manny Pacquiao fan and you are 100% certain he is not just going to beat Miguel Cotto, but he is going to absolutely crush him! Well, Manny Pacquiao fans, I've got news for you. You are not just wrong, you are dead wrong! I realize that Manny Pacquiao is one of the most popular fighters on the planet, but after having spoken with plenty of his fans, I have realized that so many of you are Manny Pacquiao fans, but not fans of boxing. You only watch one fighter and only know what you read and believe what you want to believe....

My prediction for the fight goes as follows: Miguel Cotto will simply be too much for Manny Pacquiao. His size and strength advantage alone will give Pacman fits and what is going to happen when Pacquiao lands flush shots on Cotto and nothing happens? Jumping up in weight classes will finally catch up with Manny Pacquiao on November 14th and when the fight is over and it's Miguel Cotto's hand that is raised in victory, please don't make excuses, just remember I told you so."

-Tony Montgomery

http://www.braggingrightscorner.com/mon ... 02609.html

"He’s going to crumble first from fear and then from the huge power shots from Cotto.

Pacquiao was getting handled really well in the sparring session during the episode 2., I couldn’t help but notice. It’s nice to see things for myself instead of having to hear things second hand through the filter of Pacquiao’s love sick boxing fans.

What I saw was Pacquiao getting pretty much man handled by some big, slow sparring partner who has none of the speed and power that Cotto will be bringing all night long on November 14th. If this is any indication of how Pacquiao will be fighting against Cotto, then Pacquiao doesn’t stand a chance in hell against Cotto. This will be as one-sided a fight that you’ll ever see in your life."

-Manuel Perez

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2009/11/pac ... s-nervous/

"On the night of the fight, Pacquiao will still not be a full welterweight. And Cotto is very strong. As the fight plays out, around rounds 7, 8, 9 is when Cotto starts taking over. I think Cotto will win be decision but he might even get a knockout. With all of my heart I think Miguel Cotto will win"

-Felix Trinidad

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=23197

"...I read comments like “Pacquiao is super fast and will KO Cotto easy” or “Pacquiao will destroy Cotto in 1 round, Cotto is too slow!”

Those type of comments make me shake my head. First off, it seems they have no clue on styles and boxing science. Just say Manny Pacquiao is fighting and they will automatically believe he will win without even studying the styles or knowing the opponent.

...The saying goes “Ignorance is Bliss” and they are very naive when it comes to boxing and they will face the harsh reality that night.

I will say it again, “Miguel Cotto is bigger, better, and stronger than the Pacman”. The only way Cotto will lose this fight is if he is no longer the same guy or is weight drained from the catch weight."

-By Lester Salvador

http://www.nowboxing.com/archives/3951

Pro Boxing Fans Staff Pacquiao vs. Cotto Picks

Ben Weisman (Pro Boxing Fans): You can throw me in the camp that believes Pacquiao’s last two fights were way overblown and the folkloric status they attained wasn’t even close to being warranted. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to take anything away from Pacquiao. He’s a great fighter with tremendous skills and lightning quick speed. But you can’t help but question the merits of his recent opposition as they were either weight drained (De La Hoya) or shells of what they once were (Both De La Hoya and Hatton). The fact is Cotto will be Manny’s first fight above 130 pounds against a top fighter in his prime.

I see the fight unfolding with a relatively uneventful first round. Pacquiao will be testing Cotto’s strength and Cotto will be testing Pacquiao’s speed. After the early feeling out period I think you’ll see Pacquiao start to hit his rhythm a bit, jumping in, throwing a combination and then jumping out. Cotto should be able weather the storm, all the while continuing to stalk Manny, trapping him in the corner for short periods of time and landing a couple good shots to Manny’s oft-available body. Cotto is a tremendous body puncher and I like these body punches to start taking their toll around the 8th round.

Look for Manny to have a small lead in the fight heading into the 9th round but at that point Cotto is starting to land with more frequency and Pacquiao is starting to tire. Pacquiao will struggle in the 10th round and in the 11th will succumb to the unrelenting pressure from the bigger, stronger man.

Pacquiao vs. Cotto Prediction: Cotto TKO 11

Scott Levinson (Pro Boxing Fans): I’d sure like Cotto’s chances better if we were in 2006. If someone is going to beat Pacquiao in his current form, it’s going to take a fighter at his absolute peak. Cotto is a special talent, but a lot of tough fights, a monumental battering at the hands of Margarito, and his near-escape against Clottey suggest he is in decline. I will say this: if Pacquiao is minimally complacent in his approach to this bout, even a 90% Cotto is going to give him fits. And I might be taking a leap of faith on the size issue, as it could rear its head. I don’t think so.

I see a tense, high-energy fight where Pacquiao’s speed, movement, and newfound mastery of angles keep him out of serious trouble. A reasonably close fight breaks open around the seventh round, when Pacman starts to fully click, and open up his power game, forcing the referee or his corner to pull a gallant Cotto out around the tenth round.

Pacquiao vs. Cotto Prediction: Pacquiao TKO 10

Nathan Nau (Pro Boxing Fans): There is no question that Cotto is the naturally bigger and stronger man in this bout, but he is clearly tailor made for Pacquiao. Pacquiao will use a combination of natural speed and power in both hands, crisp combinations and effective boxing technique to dispatch the challenger impressively.

Pacquiao vs. Cotto Prediction: Pacquiao 4th round KO

Luke Jernigan (DFN Sports Network): I anticipate this being a one-sided bout with Pacquiao coming out looking to prove himself once again. With Floyd Mayweather active again, the pound for pound debate is rejuvenated and it’s Pac Man’s job to prove he is indeed #1 on boxing’s p4p list. Cotto will be overmatched but I expect to see him fight hard into the later rounds before a KO victory by Pacquiao in the 9th or 10th round.

Pacquiao vs. Cotto Prediction: Pacquiao KO 9th or 10th round

Scott Dryden (Pro Fighting Fans): Miguel Cotto will bring power punches to the ring the likes Manny Pacquiao has never experienced. Freddie Roach stated he is very concerned not only with Cotto’s power but also his drive and determination as this is the biggest fight of his career. Cotto’s toughness can never be questioned but the combination of speed and power that Manny possesses is unmatched.

Pacquiao will have a difficult time with Cotto but will prevail via TKO in the 10th round. This sets the stage for one of the biggest fights in the history of the sport, Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. As a fan, I like everyone else want to see this fight happen but possibly even bigger than that would be HBO’s 24/7 with the verbal sparring between Roach and the Mayweather’s camp. A rare chance for the world of boxing to give its fans what they want, thus it probably won’t happen.

Jake Emen (Pro Boxing Fans): In my full Pacquiao vs. Cotto prediction, I laid out a series of four questions that would hold the key to the fight. They were how the catch-weight would affect the fight, how each man would take the other’s punches and whether or not Cotto would be able to catch up with Pacquiao sufficiently. I answered them all in favor of Pacquiao. However, Cotto is no pushover especially for a smaller man, and I expect two banged up fighters to make it to the final bell.

http://www.proboxing-fans.com/pacquiao- ... ff_110509/

"...Some of them may see Pacquiao as a courageous individual for moving up in weight and fighting Cotto, a bigger and stronger fighter. Pacquiao would seem to have the perfect excuse if he were to lose..."

"...Okay, so I see Pacquiao taking a horrendous beating at the hands of Cotto, a beating that leaves Pacquiao bloodied, battered and with numerous cuts on his face around both eyes and a busted nose. The healing from this beating will likely take a considerable amount of time..."

-By Manuel Perez:

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=150329

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2009/11/pac ... ocked-out/

Like HBO, Pacman is... Simply The Best :cool:

Definitely a happy,glorious Christmas for Pacman...aside from wifey Jinkee, he has (reportedly? :lol:) Krista Ranillo? :lol: not Ara or Giselle? :lol: the booze, the groupie girls, beach-es, TV shows, concerts, endorsements.... and lotsa moolah...partyin' fo' sure all night in Vegas...

For 2010... Pacman - Mayweather should be it... no ifs and buts... lotsa moolah there at stake...

Congrats Pac-man :cool:

some pacman haters will try to belittle cottos performance just to try to stand their stupid opinion, like gayweather sr.

buti pa si cotto walang excuse sa pagkatalo nya. inamin nya pacquiao is way better than him.

100% agree!

Cotto did well in fact, He gave his best. It's just that Manny is too much for him.

He acknowledged Manny as one of the best boxer he ever fought. Graceful even in defeat. :goatee:

Manny is too overwhelming, too fast and too sharp.

It's just the way it is!! :thumbsupsmiley:

As for Floyd Sr,

Man, this guy is on drugs :evil:

When the PPV results will be released (conservatively estimated at more than 1MM, baka nga 1.5MM Buys) , i'm sure Golden Boy Promotions (Handling Floyd Jr) will waste no time to set the Richest Fight between the two protagonists.

Mayweather needs Manny and not the other way around.. Pride man o Dollars ang usapan

Di naman masamang magpakipot. . Hayaan muna natin silang maghabol sa bata natin :blush:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs003.snc3/11044_215537954672_707289672_3931737_7225368_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs023.snc3/11044_215538204672_707289672_3931739_3513565_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs003.snc3/11044_215538309672_707289672_3931740_8304116_n.jpg

great victory by manny!

to those that doubted the outcome, better luck next time.

personally, i don't mind people picking the other fighter. you gotta respect that. for example..

COMPILATION OF PREDICTIONS FROM EXPERTS

by Taga Ipil

Ben Weisman (Pro Boxing Fans): You can throw me in the camp that believes Pacquiao’s last two fights were way overblown and the folkloric status they attained wasn’t even close to being warranted. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to take anything away from Pacquiao. He’s a great fighter with tremendous skills and lightning quick speed. But you can’t help but question the merits of his recent opposition as they were either weight drained (De La Hoya) or shells of what they once were (Both De La Hoya and Hatton). The fact is Cotto will be Manny’s first fight above 130 pounds against a top fighter in his prime.

I see the fight unfolding with a relatively uneventful first round. Pacquiao will be testing Cotto’s strength and Cotto will be testing Pacquiao’s speed. After the early feeling out period I think you’ll see Pacquiao start to hit his rhythm a bit, jumping in, throwing a combination and then jumping out. Cotto should be able weather the storm, all the while continuing to stalk Manny, trapping him in the corner for short periods of time and landing a couple good shots to Manny’s oft-available body. Cotto is a tremendous body puncher and I like these body punches to start taking their toll around the 8th round.

Look for Manny to have a small lead in the fight heading into the 9th round but at that point Cotto is starting to land with more frequency and Pacquiao is starting to tire. Pacquiao will struggle in the 10th round and in the 11th will succumb to the unrelenting pressure from the bigger, stronger man.

Prediction: Cotto TKO 11

what i do mind are arrogant sob's thinking they are better than everyone else and that their pick is the right one. period.

case in point..

"So you are a Manny Pacquiao fan and you are 100% certain he is not just going to beat Miguel Cotto, but he is going to absolutely crush him! Well, Manny Pacquiao fans, I've got news for you. You are not just wrong, you are dead wrong! I realize that Manny Pacquiao is one of the most popular fighters on the planet, but after having spoken with plenty of his fans, I have realized that so many of you are Manny Pacquiao fans, but not fans of boxing. You only watch one fighter and only know what you read and believe what you want to believe....

My prediction for the fight goes as follows: Miguel Cotto will simply be too much for Manny Pacquiao. His size and strength advantage alone will give Pacman fits and what is going to happen when Pacquiao lands flush shots on Cotto and nothing happens? Jumping up in weight classes will finally catch up with Manny Pacquiao on November 14th and when the fight is over and it's Miguel Cotto's hand that is raised in victory, please don't make excuses, just remember I told you so."

-Tony Montgomery

so much for being a fan of boxing hey tony.

and..

"...I read comments like “Pacquiao is super fast and will KO Cotto easy” or “Pacquiao will destroy Cotto in 1 round, Cotto is too slow!”

Those type of comments make me shake my head. First off, it seems they have no clue on styles and boxing science. Just say Manny Pacquiao is fighting and they will automatically believe he will win without even studying the styles or knowing the opponent.

...The saying goes “Ignorance is Bliss” and they are very naive when it comes to boxing and they will face the harsh reality that night.

I will say it again, “Miguel Cotto is bigger, better, and stronger than the Pacman”. The only way Cotto will lose this fight is if he is no longer the same guy or is weight drained from the catch weight."

-By Lester Salvador

isa pa itong nagmamagaling na marunong raw ng boxing science. so what excuse suits you now lester? is cotto drained or is he not the same guy? geesh.

kudos to the people have gotten it nearly right. almost to the round even.

Scott Levinson (Pro Boxing Fans): I’d sure like Cotto’s chances better if we were in 2006. If someone is going to beat Pacquiao in his current form, it’s going to take a fighter at his absolute peak. Cotto is a special talent, but a lot of tough fights, a monumental battering at the hands of Margarito, and his near-escape against Clottey suggest he is in decline. I will say this: if Pacquiao is minimally complacent in his approach to this bout, even a 90% Cotto is going to give him fits. And I might be taking a leap of faith on the size issue, as it could rear its head. I don’t think so.

I see a tense, high-energy fight where Pacquiao’s speed, movement, and newfound mastery of angles keep him out of serious trouble. A reasonably close fight breaks open around the seventh round, when Pacman starts to fully click, and open up his power game, forcing the referee or his corner to pull a gallant Cotto out around the tenth round.

finally, some couldn't have gotten it more wrong.

"...Some of them may see Pacquiao as a courageous individual for moving up in weight and fighting Cotto, a bigger and stronger fighter. Pacquiao would seem to have the perfect excuse if he were to lose..."

"...Okay, so I see Pacquiao taking a horrendous beating at the hands of Cotto, a beating that leaves Pacquiao bloodied, battered and with numerous cuts on his face around both eyes and a busted nose. The healing from this beating will likely take a considerable amount of time..."

-By Manuel Perez:

i suggest manuel gets his crystal ball fixed as it has described the exact events on an entirely wrong person.

-By Manuel Perez

wow! good job, critic. 99% correct... except for the names that should've been interchanged.

napansin ko lang, di na ginamit ang kanta ni manny sa pagpasok nya sa ring. EYE OF THE TIGER NA.

saka yung tatlong kumanta ng lupang hinirang, yari na naman yun, ginawang ballad na naman ang tono ng kanta nila.

at, for the first time, isang pinoy american ang kumanta ng star spangled banner. si ramielle malubay.

:thumbsupsmiley:

Manny Pacquiao makes history as he claims his seventh championship belt, beating WBO welterweight champ Miguel Cotto.

MANILA, Philippines - It took a lot of guts to do what Manny Pacquiao did in beating Miguel Cotto for his seventh world boxing championship in seven different weight divisions at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas

last Saturday night (yesterday morning, Manila).

Pacquiao, a 3-1 favorite, realized from the onset that Cotto’s power left jab – the same weapon he used in scoring a unanimous 12-round decision over Sugar Shane Mosley in 2007 – would be a huge problem.

Cotto pumped double left jabs to keep Pacquiao off-balance in taking the first round of their WBO welterweight title bout. Fighting from a distance, Cotto had the advantage of dictating tempo because of his jarring left jab.

Pacquiao knew that his chances of winning hinged on getting Cotto to come forward so he could use his hand-speed and foot-speed to frustrate the Puerto Rican. But if Cotto continued to throw the left jab, it would be a long night for the Filipino icon.

Pacquiao made instant adjustments to offset Cotto’s edge but it meant taking a huge risk. Abandoning his plan to stick and run, Pacquiao held his ground, inviting Cotto to engage. He even did a version of Muhammad Ali’s rope-a-dope, leaning against the ropes without hitting back to lure Cotto inside. Pacquiao’s gamble was to raise Cotto’s level of confidence so he would forget about jabbing from a distance and instead, move in to unload power shots.

In the third round, a right put Cotto down for a mandatory eight-count but it hardly made the Puerto Rican think twice about moving in. Cotto wasn’t badly hurt and in fact, was on the attack before the round ended.

Pacquiao’s adjustment was evident in the fourth as he allowed Cotto space to lean on him against the ropes. It was a dangerous strategy as Pacquiao exposed the side of his body to Cotto’s murderous left hooks. But Pacquiao figured it was the only way to get Cotto out of his jabbing mode and make him an easier target.

What happened late the fourth round was exactly how Pacquiao planned it. Cotto became comfortable throwing short-range bombs and got caught with a vicious left hook to the jaw. It was a brutal blow. Cotto dropped to his knees and looked wobbly as he stood up. The bell rang shortly after to save the Puerto Rican from another fall.

Clearly, Cotto couldn’t figure out what Pacquiao was up to and walked into the Filipino’s trap. In the sixth round, Pacquiao staggered Cotto once more, methodically turning the contest into a one-sided massacre. Cotto’s face was a mask of lumps, bruises and cuts. He looked like a beaten man before the bell sounded to open the seventh round.

With his will to win slowly eroded by Pacquiao’s unforgiving pressure, Cotto decided to do the unthinkable for a defending champion – he began to run. At that point, all he wanted to do was to survive the fight on his feet. He got on an imaginary bicycle and took off, leaving Pacquiao in hot pursuit. Cotto’s aggressiveness was gone, a thing of the past, and he transformed into a shadow of his old self, running scared instead of standing up to fight.

If you think about it, Cotto would’ve probably stolen some rounds from Pacquiao using the power jab to stymie the Filipino’s momentum. That would’ve kept Pacquiao at bay. But Pacquiao had Cotto all figured out. He knew if Cotto continued to dictate with the jab, he wouldn’t be able to get untracked. The danger of losing on points loomed.

Cotto’s adjustment to box starting the seventh round threw off Pacquiao momentarily. Cotto might have even taken the eighth canto using the stick-and-move routine as the Filipino tried to chase down his prey. But the change in tactics proved futile. Inevitably, Pacquiao caught up with Cotto who progressively grew slower as the fight wore on.

Referee Kenny Bayless mercifully stepped in to halt the carnage at 0:55 of the 12th round. He could’ve allowed Cotto to finish the distance as it didn’t seem like he was in any danger of going down. But Cotto didn’t deserve the reprieve. Down the stretch, he fought like a mouse running away from a cat – it was no way for a champion to go. You would expect a defending titlist to go down fighting, not to go down running.

Bayless did the right thing to stop it and award Pacquiao the satisfaction of winning inside the distance. Cotto no longer fought back anyway and in fact, Bayless would’ve been justified to stop it even a few rounds earlier.

For Pacquiao, the five elements that sealed the victory were:

• Speed. Clearly, Cotto had no antidote to negate Pacquiao’s hand-speed and foot-speed. The boxing adage of “speed kills in the ring” was obvious in the fight.

• Stamina. Pacquiao was in excellent physical condition. He still looked fresh in the 12th round and probably could’ve gone a few more. The Filipino was stung occasionally but never took a step back.

• Adjustments. Pacquiao didn’t take long to make adjustments. He took away Cotto’s power left jab by drawing him close then as the Puerto Rican got comfortable inside, the Filipino whirled around to throw his bombs. Pacquiao fought intelligently. Cotto wasn’t smart enough to blunt Pacquiao’s edge.

• Two-fisted attack. Pacquiao rained punches from all angles. Cotto didn’t know where the blows came from. Pacquiao decked Cotto with a right in the third and a left in the fourth.

• Heart. Pacquiao took a big gamble by leaning against the ropes to invite Cotto to whale away. Only a gutsy and fearless fighter would do it. Pacquiao once more showed how big his heart is and when you come down to it, that was the margin of difference.

Congratulations sa team pacman :flowers: