PacMan's Corner

menime

source: SI.com

Perfect 10th

Pacquiao knocks out Morales to win hyped rematch

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Manny Pacquiao vowed there would be no excuses this time. It turned out he didn't need any.

Throwing punches at every angle, Pacquiao avenged his defeat 10 months ago and handed Erik Morales the worst beating of his career before finally stopping him in the 10th round Saturday night of their 130-pound showdown.

It was the first time Morales had ever been stopped in what had been a spectacular career, and it came with a spectacular performance by a Filipino who never stopped punching.

The end came at 2:33 of the 10th round when Morales, who had barely gotten up in time from the first knockdown of the round, was knocked back down with a flurry of punches and referee Kenny Bayles wasted no time in stopping the fight.

"I saw I hurt him every time I hit him in the body," Pacquiao said.

Morales face was a mess of welts and he had lumps on his forehead and head after taking the beating of his career. It was the third loss in the last four fights for the Mexican who had held titles in three different weight classes but has been in some bruising fights.

"I was tired because of making weight and I was tired because of all the tough fights I've had," Morales said.

Morales (48-4) had beaten Pacquiao in a 12-round decision last March, a loss Pacquiao blamed on problems with his promoter, his taxman and his gloves. He went into the ring Saturday saying he was 100 percent and that there would be no excuses, win or lose.

The first fight was a 12-round brawl, and the rematch promised to live up to expectations early with both fighters trading freely and landing clean shots to the head. Pacquaio was busier, though, and seemed to win some early rounds through sheer volume of punches.

No title was at stake, but a lot of national pride was in a bout that drew 14,618 fans to the UNLV campus arena, many cheering their countrymen on.

As the fight went on it was Pacquaio's supporters doing the most cheering as Pacquaio wore down Morales and landed shot after shot to the head and body.

"I could see he was having problems taking my punches," Pacquaio said. "I had no problem taking his."

Pacquaio (41-3-1, 32 knockouts) landed a big punch in the second round, a left hand that sent Morales backwards and forced him to grab onto the top rope to stay up. Morales also appeared ready to go down at the end of the sixth round after a series of punches in the corner, but bounced off referee Kenny Bayless and stayed upright as the bell sounded to end the round.

As the fight went on, Pacquaio kept the pressure on, and Morales looked increasingly weary. Between rounds, he complained that his legs hurt and his cornermen rubbed them.

Morales' corner tried to get their fighter to keep the pressure on, saying Pacquaio didn't know how to fight backwards. But Pacquaio didn't have to because he stayed in front of Morales, bouncing back and forth and throwing punches at every angle.

"The tide turned in the sixth round," said Pacquaio's trainer, Freddie Roach. "I could see Morales was fading from all the body punches and Manny's right hook was beautiful."

Morales was known all his career as a big puncher who never backed up. But for the last 20 seconds of the ninth round he ran from Pacquaio, trying not to take anymore punishment.

"He's all gone," Roach told Pacquaio after the ninth round.

Roach was prophetic as Pacquaio came out and kept the pressure on Morales, whose face was marked by the sheer volume of punches he took. Midway through the round, Pacquaio landed a huge left hand in the middle of a combination that put Morales on the canvas.

Morales stayed there with his arm over a ring rope before finally getting up at the count of nine. Pacquaio was then all over him, landing a flurry that put a defenseless Morales down and ended the fight.

"He hit me with a lot of real good hard shots," Morales said. "I got hit in the head a lot."

Pacquaio made $2 million for the fight, but more importantly kept his stature as a national hero in the Philippines.

"I know everyone in the Philippines is happy," he said.

Basta kailangan matalo ni manny si marquez. Pag natalo nya na yun ok na ksi natalo na nya yung tatlo mexican.

Tpos rematch na lng dun sa kay morales and barrera.

tpos si rahim im not sure kung pareha sila ng division pero kung pde labanan din nya yun.

Pag natalo nya na lahat yun, labanan nya na din si Mayweather jr(Joke lng malabo na yun)

Edited by edc

T'was a very good fight (syempre, panalo eh :D) The body shots thrown by Paquiao was a new strategy that apparently worked. This was one thing I didn't see in the previoius fight. At the beginning Morales waxed dangerously with his killer counterpunching ability....but the body shots wore them off, until he just ran.

======

On the national anthem - bad trip talaga yung "laban PacMan". Nakakainis.

But I think Martin Nievera wouldn't have done better. The guy has lived in this country for decades but still can not speak straight Filipino. I'm not so sure I want him representing my country. Even Alex Compton speaks better Filipino.

source : MaxBoxing

Pacquiao Gains Revenge with Electrifying 10th Stoppage of Morales

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 21 - A bigger, stronger, smarter, and more focused Manny Pacquiao than has ever been seen in the ring gradually and dramatically wore down and stopped Erik Morales in the 10th round of an electrifying rematch before 14,618 fans at the Thomas & Mack Arena to even up their series at 1-1 and impossibly raise his icon status in his native Philippines even higher.

After struggling to find range and mount a sustained attack in the first five rounds of intense back-and-forth action that he often got the worst of, Pacquiao found his stride in the sixth round - using timing, feints and combinations to set up his lightening-fast power shots - and then dominated the following rounds with intensity and intelligence until twice dropping the ever-game Morales in the 10th round, prompting referee Kenny Bayless to wisely step in and wave the contest off at 2:33 of the round, just seconds after the second knockdown.

Up until Bayless called it off, Pacquiao's fanatical followers had to hold their breath as numerous times throughout the bout, just when it appeared that Pacquiao was about to overwhelm Morales, the hard-nosed Mexican would come back and stun their hero. It happened in the second round, when Pacquiao, now 41-3-1 (32), landed a series of lefts that hurt Morales and sent him stumbling back into the ropes. Morales, now 48-4 (34), waved Pacquiao in as if to say "Bring it!" and then fired back, driving the Filipino icon into the ropes. It happened in the fourth round, after Pacquiao appeared to briefly stun Morales at the start of the round only to get knocked off balance by a counter punch.

Of course, this was to be expected from these two warriors. They have fighting styles and mentalities that ensure that when they step into the ring vs. one another the result is as good as it gets in boxing - non-stop two-way action.

However, in the sixth round the benefits of the best training camp of Pacquiao's career began to show. Coming into this rematch, Pacquiao did not have to deal with the drama that his former promoter, Murad Muhammad, used to invite by messing with the three-division champ's purse money, fight tickets, hotel rooms and contractual agreements (such as the kind of gloves he could wear -- for this fight he got to wear his favored Reyes-brand mitts). Pacquiao also had a closed camp from his legion of L.A.-based Filipino admirers. Possibly for the first time in his career, he was able to focus on the instructions and game plans laid out by trainer Freddie Roach. And possibly for the first time, Pacquiao carried out those plans and instructions 100%.

Pacquiao did not rely on his speed, power and reflexes (in the form of his big left hand). He was a two handed fighter tonight. His right hook did as much damage as his vaunted straight left. He mixed his punches up well to the body and hand, and he worked Morales' mid-section consistently throughout the nine and half rounds of action. He paced himself. He picked his spots. He landed lead power punches to the body and head and flurried when appropriate. He did all of this with the kind of poise and accuracy expected of an elite fighter. Gone were the manic charges and retreats of the first fight with Morales. This version of Pacquiao was not nearly as easy to anticipate and time with counter punches.

Still, even after looking the best he's ever looked vs. Morales in rounds six and seven, the Tijuana native managed to give him hell in the late rounds, despite absorbing the majority of punishment. In the eighth round, Pacquiao hurt Morales early, driving the Mexican into the ropes, but the three-division champ may have been playing possum as he suckered his antagonist into a counter right. Furious exchanges ensued, but it was Morales, who didn't seem to enjoy the edge in size that he did in their first encounter, who was repeatedly hurt.

Even in the fateful 10th round, Morales was able to hurt Pacquiao with a right before absorbing the salvo from from the Filipino hero that put him down for the first time. Utter chaos mixed with absolute joy broke out in the Thomas & Mack arena following the precise combination that put Morales down again, and the Filipino fans quite literally exploded out of their seats when Bayless called a halt to what had become an unnecessary beating.

The knockdowns that Morales suffered in round 10 were the first times he's really been decked in a pro fight (the 12th round of his first fight with Barrera was more a slip or flash knockdown). And, of course, the stoppage itself was the first time Morales was knocked out in a hall-of-fame career. Maybe all the ring wars have finally caught up with "El Terrible". But a more likely reason for his loss is that he was beaten by the better fighter tonight.

nyahahaha :boo:

gising pa para lang mapanood ang laban ni Pacquiao...

iba ka talaga manny, simply the best! :thumbsupsmiley: :cool:

Heheheh we attended a party kasi...everyone left the party at a nearby hotel around 10ish to go to my tita's house to watch the fight at my tita's house.

Badtrip talaga yun Pambansang Awit :lol:

Not bad at all ;)