The FASTEST Way to BETTER Cardio

Jogging is effective but if you're not use to sports, it's better to begin with biking or swimming. Less strain on the body, especially with swimming.

You must start slow and progressively to get a better condition and get your body used to effort again.

If you don't have the time, the tabata method is great 4 minutes a day 3 or 4 times a week, but again you must begin slowly.

There is no best cardio exercise. The best cardio exercise is one that works specifically for you, one that you find comfortable to do and one that you can keep on doing at least 3 times a week consistently. It is not just about raising heart rate, but raising heart rate for a certain duration until you get into the aerobic threshold. The average would be around 30 to 60 minutes. Discipline and consistency is the key word here, no exercise program will work without those two.

In terms of practicability, running is the best. You can run almost anywhere, anytime,it is easier to learn, you'll never run out of company for the run and the equipment is cheap compared to other activities.

For those considering cardio stick to the basics and you'll do just fine.

Problem with running is that people are often out of shape and express terrible posture once they deicde to better their "cardio". Running is not as user friendly as we may think. You might be able to run anywhere. But for how long is the question.

That's why you ease people into running or any sport for that matter. You don't run to race, you don't run at a race pace, you run at a pace comfortable for you. Even jog - walk is part of easing a newbie runner into the sport. All exercises takes some form of getting used to. Kaya nga may adaptation ka.

When running for cardio its the duration that you mainly have to consider not your speed.

Even if you go to first world countries where all kinds of gimmicks in exercise come from, running is still the top cardio exercise, besides have you seen the number of participants in road races these days as well as the number of people running for fitness? There has been a boom in running. It is a fundamental, proven, solid exercise that no one can put down.

Oh and btw, I am not a runner... Swimmer ako, baka isipin nyo biased ako.

I agree with most of what you said. And i love to run myself. However majority of people you see at those races have poor posture. People would run better and have more fun doing it if they would add some kind of strength training in their routine. Running is always in the same direction. People might also wanna consider running the reverse way of the track. Running is an art. Everybody can run. But how do they run is the question. Guess the same applies with Kettlebells nowadays:)

Well if you go to gym its the same thing, people have poor form, you watch people play basketball and they still have poor form, same for cycling and swimming, etc. That is brought about by ignorance, and people should be made aware of the importance of form in all sports.

That doesn't exuse poor form, or will spare you from injuries due to poor form.

Yeah, true strength training is important, especially if your going competitive, all competitive sports incorporate strength training in their routine. Strength is important for more then just competions.

With regards to high levels of fitness, you can't just do one sport or exercise and expect it to work miracles. The ideal is still, one cardio routine and one strength training routine, although you can do cardio with strength training by doing circuit training, iba pa rin when you have an exclusive cardio routine and exclusive strength training routine in your regimen. Besides it breaks the monotony of doing only one thing in your exercise regimen.

I agree here. Variety is a key factor. Kettlebells offer tons of variety:) . I feel like going for a run now:)
Guest fhoryou

Well the effectivity of kettlebells is unquestionable, especially when it comes to core and total body exercise. However, how many qualified instructors do we have in the Philippines for that and how many facilities do we have for that. Without proper guidance and coaching these kettlebells can result in nasty injuries for newbiews

That is true. This is why form is important and guidance. They have a term in kettlebell called broken arm. The instructor or trainor teaches you the basic form and the proper way to hold the kettlebell.

I know there are some who watches these on youtube as our trainor said not everything you see in youtube is a complete instruction and not everything you see is for you. If an instructor or trainor is good he/she gives you specific details on how to handles such weight and perform the form. Bad form leads to injuries. The instructor or trainor also tells which weight to start with. Its always said to us that form is important not the weight you use on the exercise.

You will always start with lighter weight. I remember I started with 12kg for a swing now I can do 24kg or even 28 but I'm not to hasty to go to 28Kg you have to learn to reserve energy for the following series of exercise that is why I go for lighter weight.

The rule is if you are out of form the weight is to heavy for you.

In terms of practicability, running is the best. You can run almost anywhere, anytime,it is easier to learn, you'll never run out of company for the run and the equipment is cheap compared to other activities.

True, running is the best and most practical excercise for the majority of the population. But I would'nt recommend it to older folks and very overweight people. The strain on the articulations might be too much to handle, and it would certainly leads to injuries or other complications.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the effectivity of kettlebells is unquestionable, especially when it comes to core and total body exercise. However, how many qualified instructors do we have in the Philippines for that and how many facilities do we have for that. Without proper guidance and coaching these kettlebells can result in nasty injuries for newbiews

We have 2 IKFF Certified Kettlebell Teachers under the Philippine Kettlebell Club. Our founder has been featured in Men's Health twice this year :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem during running, not sa breathing but on the strain sa hamstrings parang na ngangawit pag matagal na ako tumatkabo and minsan naman pain sa sides malapit sa stomach (i don't know if appendix). I do streching before running. I do running for 4-5 km

@ mach 83: i have been running for years, the pain on my sides don't always happen especially when i am in a good mood or "ginaganahan". it happens when i stop running (weeks) and starting running again. thanks again. btw does ankle really improves your hamstrings?

Running is also beneficial for slowing down the aging process. Those who run regularly are less likely to experience bone and muscle loss as they age at the same pace as those who do not run regularly or at all. The bones grow and become stronger by responding to physical demands. Those who lead a rather sedentary lifestyle do not put this type of demand on their bones and as a result the bones may become weaker. When this happens the individual is more likely to be susceptible to osteoporosis as they age. Conversely, those who run on a regular basis are continually taxing their muscles and their bones so the bones are stimulated to remain stronger and do not as easily weaken with age.

Word of caution, though, check out with running coaches (if you're seriously into it) the proper ways of doing and enjoying this activity.

I use to weigh almost 200 lbs and now weigh around 150.

What I did was change the way I eat. Eat less Carbs. I know its hard

since us Filipino's eat every meal with rice :)

I stick to eating a lot of proteins(Chicken, Fish) and Vege's.

Eating right is as much important as the workouts.

Now for the workouts. Depending what I'm doing that day. If I'm

hitting the heavy bag, I usually do about 1 mile of running to warm up.

Then hit the heavy bag for about 8-10 3 minute rounds with 1 minute

rest in between.

If I'm weight lifting that day I'd run for about 20 mines and then

start lifting weights. And when I say run I mean extensive running,

never jogging. If your shirt isn't soaked with sweat by the end of your

workouts then that means your not working hard enough.

My total workouts last about 1 hour, sometimes more.

Also, its very important to stretch before and after your workouts.

This workout is okay, however your diet should be on a ratio of 4 carbs is to 1 protein, your body will only utilize the necessary protein and no more, so the rest just goes to waste. Excess protein is also hard on the kidneys so it is not advisable. You will lose weight definitely, but its not healthy. The point with carbs is you have to eat the right amount. This means that eat just enough carbs to fuel your exercise and no more. Remember carbs are your main energy source, the next is fat. Protein is the last energy source you'd want to take.

Yes your right, to much protein is bad. I don't go above what I need. I also don't eat too much carbs. Mostly protein and vege. I get most of my protein source from whey.

i dont count my intake of food pero i dont eat after 6pm even after my 7k to 10k run.......yung last week of march 2010 my weight was 240lbs as of the moment 190lbs na ako and btw bad trip kasi 55min parin ako sa milo marathon kahapon sa 10k.......i want to move na sa 15k run para yun na lang ako.....

the best is fasting. eat more fruits and vegetables, take supplement (trusted brand), enough sleep, exercise, and drink a lot of water at least 8 glasses a day