Singapore Travel - Hidden Secrets

thats where we stayed last holy week ......

The hotel itself is not bad (a 3-4 star hotel if I'm not mistaken) the rooms we got are not really that big but good enough for a decent nights sleep (we were out most of the time). Cable television is quite limited as far as number of available channels are concerned. There is a cable where you can connect to the internet but since I did not bring my laptop I did not make use of it. (dont know if you will be charged for it) ...... the bathroom is a little small for me and they don't dont even have soap holders.

Whats nice about the hotel is its proximity to some decent eateries, malls and shops (one of which is the Funan Mall for the techies) and its only a block away to access the underground MRT.

Cant remember the price per night (I actually dont know since it was my mom that was in charge of booking the hotel with the travel agent)

thanks for this valuable info chief.

Guest Serenity12

Hello guys ...im going to singapore this june ...cant wait to go to Universal studios ...and sentosa again ....Can anyone tell me about YMCA on orchard road ? got it for $ S 135.00/day ...is this a nice hotel , altho the location seems ok ...

I wouldn't call it a hotel - it's more like an inn or a pension house, I think. If you just need a place to sleep and you're not too fussy with luxurious comforts, then this will be adequate. The location is good and I heard the staff is quite friendly. I haven't experienced it firsthand though since I normally stay at Marriott, Mandarin Orchard ( formerly Meritus Mandarin) or Grand Copthorne.

mga masters, question. ndi ako nakabili ng USD or sing dollars here in Manila. Has anyone tried bringing around Php50k to singapore? I know php10k lng ung max to take out of the country. stupid rule. thanks! san ako magpapalit if my hotel is somewhere near clarke quay?

bakit naman dun ka magpapalit, eh kaya nga may rule, lugi ka pa pag peso papalit mo, di nila masyado gusto ang peso kaya di maganda rate, ang dami kayang palitan dito

• 3 weeks later...

I was at the Universal Studios Singapore last week and had a nice time except for the heat and the humidity of Singapore.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs586.snc3/30914_1439748468234_1068719127_1310046_6965558_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs586.snc3/30914_1439748628238_1068719127_1310047_1986590_n.jpg

an easy and cheap way to go to USS is by way of taxi but if you're with your family I suggest you take the MRT, drop at the Harbour Front MRT station then go to Vivo City level three, ride the monorail and drop off at the Resorts World Sentosa

Edited by Anaheim

mga masters, question. ndi ako nakabili ng USD or sing dollars here in Manila. Has anyone tried bringing around Php50k to singapore? I know php10k lng ung max to take out of the country. stupid rule. thanks! san ako magpapalit if my hotel is somewhere near clarke quay?

Most banks in Manila will sell you US$ especially if you have travel docs.

I think HSBC might deal in S$.

In any case, I think you are allowed to bring out a maximum equivalent to US$10000 when you leave the Philippines.

Hope this helps.

questions lang mga pards:

- are there rooms for rent in Singapore- short term mga 5-7 days lang good for 3 adults and 2 kids?

- what are the cheaper hotels and very near MRTs? (good for 3 adults and 2 kids)

- how much they charge per night? (rooms and hotel)

as a rule, i usually look for a hotel that costs <$200, particularly in the $100-150 range. bihira ako makakita ng a good hotel that is < $100 but, meron naman. these are the bargains, the steals, and i rejoice when i find an acceptable one in this price range.

but reality is, mahal na lahat, pati accommodation. medyo mabigat bumayad ng $150 pero this price is beginning to be on the cheap side nowadays. but if the price comes with buffet breakfast, tapos kids are allowed to eat free pa, then that qualifies as a steal. the next time i go to sg, the mandarin will be at the top of my list of places to stay.

thanks for sharing.

may i know how you booked those rooms in mandarin? Is it pre book here in Manila with a travel agent? or you booked it upon arrival at airport? or you have someone in Singapore booked it for you in advance?

We got YWCA Fort Canning Lodge at S$138 per day via online booking, the location is just a walk away near Orchard Road and the Dhoby Gaut MRT station which is an easy access to all attractions in Singapore including Universal Studios Singapore. YWCA Fort Canning Lodge has a nice breakfast buffet and a swimming pool.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs318.snc3/28564_1442928307728_1068719127_1322687_1456989_n.jpg

To go to Universal Studios Singapore from YWCA...go to the Dhoby Gaut MRT station and drop-off at Harbour Front MRT Station then at Vivo City 3rd level then ride the Sentosa Express Monorail to Resorts World Sentosa where you will find the Unversal Studios Singapore

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs318.snc3/28564_1442959628511_1068719127_1322815_6429472_n.jpg

I always book on the internet.

I compare prices with my 3 favorite sites : agoda,asiatravel, and asia rooms.

I don't think travel agents can compete anymore unless it is a full package from the airline.

You won't go wrong with most of the hotels in Singapore.

Just plan your trips carefully. Check your budget and where you plan to spend of most of your time.

You may save on the hotel, but you might lose out on the "travel time" and fares on the subway/train or taxi.

But generally public transport in Singapore is super safe, and you can ask for a receipt from Taxis.

Pwede magpatulong gumawa ng travel itinerary? Will be going kasi this September and prime purpose is visiting Universal Studios and others will come next. Siguro 5 days at most. Alanganin kasi yung matitirhan namin doon e so in search tuloy kami ng murang hotel, kahit walang luxuries basta affordable and ok naman for average.

Pwede magpatulong gumawa ng travel itinerary? Will be going kasi this September and prime purpose is visiting Universal Studios and others will come next. Siguro 5 days at most. Alanganin kasi yung matitirhan namin doon e so in search tuloy kami ng murang hotel, kahit walang luxuries basta affordable and ok naman for average.

personally, i go for comfort pag hotel, para todo relax, kaya medyo sa mahal ako tumitira, pero if u want budget, theres abc hotel in bugis, 20$ per pax per night, but kama lang at cr, may breakfast pa at na tinapay, pwede mo search sa internet, may pics dun, tingnan mo kung papasa sa standards mo, ang liit ng universal studios, 1/3 lang compared to hk disneyland, the3 singapore zoo is a much better place to go, mas sulit, ok din ung jurong bird park, medyo boring un sentosa and night safari, go to clark quay at night, medyo pricey lang beer, but nice to hang out, dont forget to eat at marche located at 313 orchard and vivo city

hi guys i will be in singapore this last week of june. i hve two hotel booking..one is the TRADERS hotel in orchard roda. and the other one is Copthorne Orchid.Im checking in the internet TRADERS is basically the better hotel but it costs me so much also, it costs me 510 canadian dollars for 3 Nights?

Maganda din ba yung Copthorne orchid? mas mura kasi yun e around 398 dollars lang for 3 Nights..

And last but not the least meron ba room service na massage or extra service d2?hehehe..yung mga japanese or chise sana ..

• 2 weeks later...

Magbubukas nga ba ng Universal Studios dito sa Singapore or bukas na?...

hey chief...nice to see you on the board. yap! universal studios singapore opened sometime in march of this year. was there with my son last month. there are still some rides to be finished, though. maliit lang yung park but over-all i guess it's okay. if my memory serves me right entrance was S$66.00 for adults and S$44.00 for kids. hope this helps B)

universal made a mistake in locating in singapore. it is so hot there! i got tired right away with the sheer hot temperature. they should have located in hk when you can visit during colder months. for those planning to go to universal, wait until the battlestar galactica ride is working.

If you ever travel between Singapore and Malaysia (KL for example), consider the bus rather than flying. Relatively inexpensive. Also with both Singapore Airport and KLIA an hour away from center of town, it might be quicker to ride the bus from city center to city center - 5 hours maximum including stops on both sides of border and a comfort stop halfway.

once we ate in this restaurant near the singapore expo, we have crabs, big crabs, chili and black pepper, after eating we wrote our names in the back shells and they put it in their wall, so the restaurant have hundreds with names on it, there's even like 10 inches wide shells.

If you ever travel between Singapore and Malaysia (KL for example), consider the bus rather than flying. Relatively inexpensive. Also with both Singapore Airport and KLIA an hour away from center of town, it might be quicker to ride the bus from city center to city center - 5 hours maximum including stops on both sides of border and a comfort stop halfway.

We took the Aerobus. 5hours lang. comfortable tapos may chibog pa. May lounge sa baba ng bus at CR

• 2 weeks later...

I am a first timer tourist of Singapore next month. Will be there for about days before I head home.

I was reading through some posts of this thread to try to make an itinerary.

Is the Universal Studios worthier to visit than the Sentosa Park (well, for someone who was been to HK disneyland but not to any USS, that is?)? What about the Hop on bus tour, is it worth to try?

I will be staying with a girl friend so no expenses for the hotel (thank God! :D ) I was hoping I could maximize my R & R. :D