Call Center Side Effects

yeah, im indeed thankful for being able to experience these for 6 mos...

it's because of this job that i was able to support myself to finish graduate school...though it gets really boring to a certain point because of the everyday routinary practice but the working environment and the people are the ones who will deliver you from the mundane... really miss working in a call center....

your right nine". those people who are saying bad things about being in a call center industry are those people who could not get into it. all jobs are basically the same. it would tend to be so boring especially when u do it everyday. but you just have to always look at the bright side of ur job. and as far as i know, this is the highest income generating industry of our country or maybe not the highest so we should be thankful to the guys who are sacrificing their health just to suffice the daily needs of their family.  :headsetsmiley:

very well said...

for me...

it fits my lifestyle.. plus.. the money is good

They say that an Indian job applicant (in other industries) will always beat out a Filipino applicant during job interviews because of the confidence factor.

Sorry, NOT TRUE.

I'm a Technical Director for a large US telecom company.

I agree with eagleeyes. I have worked for 30 years in the electronics industry in Silicon Valley. First as an engineer, then as a manager, now as a director. Not true that an Indian will always beat out a Filipino. When the hiring manager is an Indian, you can be at a disadvantage - but even then not always. Depends on your qualifications and how you sell yourself.

I agree with eagleeyes. I have worked for 30 years in the electronics industry in Silicon Valley. First as an engineer, then as a manager, now as a director. Not true that an Indian will always beat out a Filipino. When the hiring manager is an Indian, you can be at a disadvantage - but even then not always. Depends on your qualifications and how you sell yourself.

agxo3, we're almost neighbors; i'm in the tri-valley area just north. pm me your info. we might get a chance to get together sometime.

some posters on this thread actually provide call center support for our company :)

their call center experience would be a big help in getting similar positions should they get a chance to move to the US.

Edited by eagleyes

I am currently working as a Junior Technical Trainer in a Calle Center here in Manila.

well, Estwood City Libis to be exact. My first account was Linkn-SYS,..second was Earthlink,..and now,..its DeLL Computers. I really enjoy it to some extent,..though I rlly plan to go to IT department, hopefully within 2 to 3 mos,.thta is, if my Aussie PR visa is not yet finished.

AS far as the CC industry is concerned,.it rlly is the only "BRIGHT SPOT" in the PINOY Economy these dayz,..............

if it wasnt for the US,..and now, AUS and UK; outsourcing ,..then what could'v ehappened to most of us? db?

And yeha,..most customers are sssooo HAPPY dealing with Pinoy agents/tech rather than INdians. AM not being "RACIST".........am juz being pragamtic and very REALISTIC!

PEACE OUT DUDEZ n DUDETTEZ!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :headsetsmiley:

I dunno if being in a call center is a waste of your degree or not. What I do know is I can wear anything under the sun (as long as its decent) which fits my lifestyle and I don't have to wear anything that is not easy to shed. :evil: The pay is good, better that my previous job in which I would frequently get yelled at for something that I did not do. I figure the dude was just having a mid-life crisis. At least in a call center I can be myself, the free will to choose who I work with.

Hello call boyz and girls :cool: Need some help! Can you please give me some tips on how to improve my communication skills.. it's just that i try to apply on some of the call centers here in manila..but due to less in communication skills ..i didn't get the job! Do you really need to be that "slang" . Tips on how to improve my communication skills... i been trying to read books..but it seems that im not improving...grr...im really desperate..sorry abt it....i really envy those working on call centers :headsetsmiley: :cool: Thanks in advance... :mtc:

Hello call boyz and girls :cool: Need some help! Can you please give me some tips on how to improve my communication skills.. it's just that i try to apply on some of the call centers here in manila..but due to less in communication skills ..i didn't get the job! Do you really need to be that "slang" .  Tips on how to improve my communication skills... i been trying to read books..but it seems that im not improving...grr...im really desperate..sorry abt it....i really envy those working on call centers :headsetsmiley:  :cool: Thanks in advance... :mtc:

im not an expert but what u need to realize first is that u will be adjusting urself to different people...first, just be plain.say what u really mean.do not use flowery words so that u can get ur point acroos to the person that u are talking to. second, watch tv too like etc or cnn..shows that have neutral english accents.Reading also helps but listening to people talk will help too. You would also need to talk in english even if u r not wrorking...practice makes perfect as they say...well that is all i have for now..i hope that things ive said will help u..take care..;)

im not an  expert but what u need to realize first is that u will be adjusting urself to different people...first, just be plain.say what u really mean.do not use flowery words so that u can get ur point acroos to the person that u are talking to. second, watch tv too like etc or cnn..shows that have neutral english accents.Reading also helps but listening to people talk will help too. You would also need to talk in english even if u r not wrorking...practice makes perfect as they say...well that is all i have for now..i hope that things ive said will help u..take care..;)

Oic..thnks for the tips! :cool: :headsetsmiley: :mtc:

Very similar lang yung work ko sa mga call center. ako lang taga filter ng messages na lumalabas sa tv. yung mga chatTV. mga makukulit na mga BI na nagtetxt dun. imagine mo nationwide po. sakin lahat bagsak. my shift is 12am to 8am. kaya yung karamihan na pinost d2 eh 90% tinamaan ako. kulang na nga lang may dextrose (laman kape) na me dito sa office habang nagwo work. Girlfriend ko na nga tong pc ko eh, maging sa pagkain at tulog eh kasama ko cya. kaya yung mga nightshifts jan pm me naman. chat tau pag mejo maluwag ang work! my nick sa YM is jopeto22. wala lang!

dati atat na atat ako mag net sa mga internet shop pag nde pwede phone sa bahay. ngaun halos ikamuhi ko na. buti na lang may mtc at YM. i can browse and chat while working. :mtc: :mtc:

im sure mahirap magkaroon ng GEB ang mga call girls at callboys. :D

uhm mejo offtopic na po. sa mga callboys n callgirls jan, pwede pakipost kung ano ginagawa nyo pagka "the coast is clear" san kau nagba browse? aside from mtc :mtc:

mejo sawa na me sa launchcast eh. :(

• 1 month later...

This may come out as a rather funny query but what does a cc company look for in an applicant? Also what if the applicant is half deaf (one side incapable of hearing)?

I'm thinking of applying in a cc lately but I've never held a job before. I'm in my 30's though I've been doing some rackets which supports me well. Its just that I'm getting pretty tired of the suspense brought about by unforeseeable income.

This may come out as a rather funny query but what does a cc company look for in an applicant?  Also what if the applicant is half deaf (one side incapable of hearing)?

Good communication in English. I have to stress that, as most often in intial interviews that's the foremost thing they'll be looking for. If you don't have a good command of English, you won't even go beyond the initial interview.

The lack of traditional industries despite the Philippines being a natural resources rich country is a sign that most of us would rather try new industries like the CCs.  But this isnt doing good to us as we continue to disregard what really matters to us and to our nation. 

Dude, Call Centers have been around only for five years in this country. It may not be what you term, a 'traditional industry' but it is generating jobs for Filipinos. When was it a bad thing to generate jobs for a country that has double digit unemployment rates year after year?

Please be honest with me, man...bakit ba nandito yang mga CCs?  Hindi ba dahil cheaper ang labor natin dito at maraming madali ma encourage (o mauto) ang mga fresh grads to join them? 

Yes, the clients of the call centers do get to save a lot from their overhead expenses if they outsource their jobs here. And the Philippines is a direct beneficiary of this as labor is considerably cheaper here. Cheap labor if you compare it to how much it would cost them to have their own in-home call center in the US. I'm sure you've read all the posts here on how generous call centers are when it comes to the starting pay and compensation packages for their employees, right? Again, what's wrong with that? We're not being paid peanuts here, dude. You can't expect that local call center agents get paid the same as the ones in the US because the standard of living is considerably different.

Arent your bosses just taking advantage of your over eagerness to join their companies because of the lack of jobs?  maski irregular ang pasok nyo sige lang ng sige....I think CC's are fostering twisted sense of time for people like you (working at night ...sleeping at day...). 

The whole reason why the Philippines is a very viable location to outsource call cenetr jobs is because of our huge labor pool and the fact that we are very good English speakers. Compare a Filipino to an Indian and a Pinoy would have a more neutral accent. Add the fact that we have a very Westernized culture patterned after the US so we're more accustomed to Americans more than the Indians who used to be colonized by the Brits. The reason why call centers work the graveyard shift is because our callers are mainly from the US which has an 8-12 hr time difference from us. I don't think there's anything sinister behind the working hours, it's just that it's during nights when agents are needed to take calls.

Worse, saan ba napupunta ang malaking chunk ng income ng CC? hindi ba napupunta rin overseas?

I don't know if you've noticed but the bigger call centers are branching out to the cities in the provinces (Cebu, Baguio, Cagayan De Oro) so that they could expand the labor base and generate jobs in other parts of the country so that it won't be concentrated here in NCR. Haven't we heard the nagging complaint that our economy is based too much in Metro Manila? Well, branching out to the provinces is the call center industry's answer to this congestion. If you still haven't gotten my point, I'll make it easier for you: this simply means that the bigger call centers are investing their profits into the country by creating more call centers and more jobs for Filipinos.

Sino ba yumayaman? Me Filipino bang nagiging ka level ng mga boss nyo in terms of financial rewards?

Well, fyi, there are people who started as Call Center Agents who've developed to become TLs, Shift Managers and Operations Managers. They've become part of upper management. That's definitely a big increase in their salary as well. But it's not all about the money, it's also gaining the confidence of the bosses to entrust greater responsibility to an employee.

I'm tired responding to your ignorant statements so I'll end here. I apologize for calling you 'ignorant' but there's no more appropriate term that I can think of to describe what you've babbling about. Thank you for sharing your opinion. Now keep it to your self since you don't know what you're talking about.

<_<

all i can say to that is no matter what anyone says call centers are now becoming a "basic" to the filipino college graduate whether a fresh graduate, older or even people aged 35 can join...now that depends on the call center....from personal experience....call centers are not the jobs that anyone easily"get"...there are still people who think that being in a call center is easy as pie...guess again people....they have standards than any job i have ever had in 2 years and counting....its up to u if u go for the challenge or let the chance of being in a call center pass u by...;)