Call Center Side Effects

callcenters are a good source of income...if we want to put it that way. just as i arrived in manila, i was offered a hefty salary by etelecare but i refused... not for the money, but for the family time that job would take away from me. i can not bear the thought that i work in the wee hours of the day and go home just to sleep the whole day when everybody's enjoying the day... having no time to interact with my family and peers anymore. i do not live just to work, i value my time for myself and my family. i guess the call center is more suitable for singles. just my opinion, no offense to those working in call centers... :hypocritesmiley:

Edited by TheGeneral
callcenters are a good source of income...if we want to put it that way. just as i arrived in manila, i was offered a hefty salary by etelecare but i refused... not for the money, but for the family time that job would take away from me. i can not bear the thought that i work in the wee hours of the day and go home just to sleep the whole day when everybody's enjoying the day... having no time to interact with my family and peers anymore.  i do not live just to work, i value my time for myself and my family. i guess the call center is more suitable for singles.  just my opinion, no offense to those working in call centers...  :hypocritesmiley:

I agree with you Bro. you have a point...... :)

callcenters are a good source of income...if we want to put it that way. just as i arrived in manila, i was offered a hefty salary by etelecare but i refused... not for the money, but for the family time that job would take away from me. i can not bear the thought that i work in the wee hours of the day and go home just to sleep the whole day when everybody's enjoying the day... having no time to interact with my family and peers anymore.  i do not live just to work, i value my time for myself and my family. i guess the call center is more suitable for singles.  just my opinion, no offense to those working in call centers...  :hypocritesmiley:

youre right sir.

tama ka dyan pero sa hirap ng buhay ngayon, ang isang kinsenas ng tech support na katulad ko ay katumbas na ng isang buwang sweldo ng isang normal na obrero... cyempre if u want to invest in ur future, kelangang mag-sacrifice...

22. nahihiya kang magpunta sa mga reunion lalo na't alam mong successful lahat ng ka-batch mo.

Bakit ka naman mahihiya kung sa laki ng suweldo mo eh pwede mo sila ilibre lahat?! :cool:

just my own 2 cents...

when i started this job, i was actually thinking it was a lowly job, kc nakakabobo b...

and as for MIT people or some nihonjin creating a machine that can answers people's concerns and for that matter sell products through the phone, i doubt they'll be able to do that in the near future...

they have to first duplicate human emotions in a machine, or at least teach computers the basics of human semantics...

Sabi ng prof namin, nakakabobo daw yan for CS students kasi hindi rin magagamit mga napag-aralan namin like Automata, Colpiler Theory, etc. Pero, kung naghahanap ng starting point, o hindi pa nakapag-iisip ng career path, or wala lang talaga choice :P pwede na rin daw. In my opinion, depende rin naman sa tao kung pababayaan niyang mag-stagnate utak niya eh!

Also, mahirap pa talaga ngayon mag-duplicate ng human emotions although hindi siya kelangan sa call center industry. Ang kelangan if ever is human logic. Yun ang talagang imposible pa sa ngayon. Masyadong mataas na computing power ang kailangan to even simulate the human brain. Although engineers at MIT are already on the verge of constructing a Quantum Computer which may give us the necessary computing power, the actual psychological workings of the brain needs to be understood first before it can be translated fully into a working program. In case of human semantics, mas madali pang gawin yun kesa sa logic/AI.

coolestboy.... kakaaliw lang na you have so much time trying to put down the CC industry

pero di mo masabi ano field of work mo.  :rolleyes:  must be highly classified huh? swerte mo nmn, been wanting to have a job like that of james bond. :huh: btw, i think it was the CEO or vp of etelecare int'l that was interviewed & was featured in one of the columns of a leading newspaper yesterday explaining how the call center industry is expected to expand even more in the coming years.  btw, so just you know....pag tumawag ka sa bayantel or pldt or 114 or BPI or citibank or any other bank eh chances are call center din hinihingan mo ng tulong.... & i bet it would take a couple hundred of years for MIT genius to duplicate human emotions..... ;) 

kidyot <- totally uncool  :hypocritesmiley:

Cool lang kayo diyan :hypocritesmiley: ...btw, it would take hundreds of years before emotions can be duplicated since they're too random and illogical but it may only take our lifetime to duplicate human logic.

Also, the expansion of call centers in the coming years may be greatly exaggerated. Although it is expected to continue its expansion in the next 5 years or so, the number of people growing more and more knowledgeable in computers are also growing at an increased pace. Already, children at age 5 and below are being exposed to computers and taught computers even before they reach high school. Before you know it, call centers will run out of people to support and an abrupt decline may be well underway. :cry: So it is in everyone's best interests to keep your minds fresh and open to new fields and possibilities. :mtc:

Sabi ng prof namin, nakakabobo daw yan for CS students kasi hindi rin magagamit mga napag-aralan namin like Automata, Colpiler Theory, etc. Pero, kung naghahanap ng starting point, o hindi pa nakapag-iisip ng career path, or wala lang talaga choice :P pwede na rin daw. In my opinion, depende rin naman sa tao kung pababayaan niyang mag-stagnate utak niya eh!

Also, mahirap pa talaga ngayon mag-duplicate ng human emotions although hindi siya kelangan sa call center industry. Ang kelangan if ever is human logic. Yun ang talagang imposible pa sa ngayon. Masyadong mataas na computing power ang kailangan to even simulate the human brain. Although engineers at MIT are already on the verge of constructing a Quantum Computer which may give us the necessary computing power, the actual psychological workings of the brain needs to be understood first before it can be translated fully into a working program. In case of human semantics, mas madali pang gawin yun kesa sa logic/AI.

Cool lang kayo diyan :hypocritesmiley: ...btw, it would take hundreds of years before emotions can be duplicated since they're too random and illogical but it may only take our lifetime to duplicate human logic.

Sabi ng prof namin, nakakabobo daw yan for CS students kasi hindi rin magagamit mga napag-aralan namin like Automata, Colpiler Theory, etc. Pero, kung naghahanap ng starting point, o hindi pa nakapag-iisip ng career path, or wala lang talaga choice :P pwede na rin daw.

just a thought: there are a lot of academe professionals na noon wont even consider working in a cc kasi nga raw its a bit degrading on their end cuz of their so called license and all that pieces of paper. pero madami sa mga recent co workers ko are from the academe community before at nakapagturo na for a few years. major reason for the switch is it really pays well and the work is not that hard. one bonus factor is after a days work you can do what ever you want, a plus factor with my married female friends, they can spend time with their kids her family in general. and i beg to differ na nakakabobo ang line of work na ito, cuz any feild of work is nakakabobo if you let yourself stagnate on things you are accustomed to. and another thing, career path wise, cc industry is like any other feild. you can go as high as a vp in the corporate ladder. pahabol and this a proven fact. not everybody is ment to or can work on this line of job. *wolves

coolestboy.... kakaaliw lang na you have so much time trying to put down the CC industry pero di mo masabi ano field of work mo.  :rolleyes:  must be highly classified huh? swerte mo nmn, been wanting to have a job like that of james bond. :huh: btw, i think it was the CEO or vp of etelecare int'l that was interviewed & was featured in one of the columns of a leading newspaper yesterday explaining how the call center industry is expected to expand even more in the coming years.  btw, so just you know....pag tumawag ka sa bayantel or pldt or 114 or BPI or citibank or any other bank eh chances are call center din hinihingan mo ng tulong.... & i bet it would take a couple hundred of years for MIT genius to duplicate human emotions..... ;) 

yuulimoe - transfer ka dyan!  :grr:  hindi pwede dahil nagiinternet kami!!! :P

orionpax - oo nmn, dami din negative like yung health conditions mo is at stake.... daming temptations dahil graveyard shift...... also kung tatamad tamad ka eh mabobobo ka tlga & wala kang patutunguhan..just like in any other industry...

kidyot <- totally uncool  :hypocritesmiley:

Put down the CC industry???? am i that powerful...man relax....believe me i am not trying to put down the cc industry. Its just a personal opinion that guys from good schools (ateneo, lasalle, etc) are better off in a nation building industries rather than gather dust and rust in front of a computer monitor. Sayang ang binayad ng mga tatay at nanay nyo sa mga unibersidad at kolehiyo at di nyo natamo ang dapat nyong abutin...dahil ba mataas ang sweldo at commission dyan sa cc e justified na ang pagsasayang nyo ng talino at potential dyan?

Sa mga taga-cc na nasasaktan sa mga sinasabi ko...pare at mare...personal opinion ko lang ito...if u think im wrong...well feel free to dispute or exchage ideas without being too personal.

well... we're all entitled to our own opinion anyways... CCs really offer higher compensation but it doesn't necessarily mean that u'l just let all the things u've learned from school go down the drain... what I believe is that we should use the knowledge we gained in our everyday life not with just the professions we choose...

:cool: :mtc:

thats partly true.. actually nasa tao yan eh.. i have colleagues who are married.. and usually sila yung malalaking sweldo kasi nga pamilyado na.. but for me kasi.. it fits my lifestyle eh.. i was working for a credit card company before i went to a call center... stressful pauwi (and papunta) because of the rush hour pag nasa day job ka.. and yung shift ko kse parang pumasok ka lang ng mas maaga compared to my old company.. di naman masyadong hassle pauwi .. lalo na papunta :rolleyes: .. basta all i can say is... swak na swak to sa lifestyle ko :headsetsmiley:

Put down the CC industry???? am i that powerful...man relax....believe me i am not trying to put down the cc industry.  Its just a personal opinion that guys from good schools (ateneo, lasalle, etc) are better off  in a nation building industries rather than gather dust and rust in front of a computer monitor.  Sayang ang binayad ng mga tatay at nanay nyo sa mga unibersidad at kolehiyo at di nyo natamo ang dapat nyong abutin...dahil ba mataas ang sweldo at commission dyan sa cc e justified na ang pagsasayang nyo ng talino at potential dyan?

Sa mga taga-cc na nasasaktan sa mga sinasabi ko...pare at mare...personal opinion ko lang ito...if u think im wrong...well feel free to dispute or exchage ideas without being too personal.

depende sa acct yan.. if your with customer service as most call centers are.. then talagang mabuburo utak mo... im just glad im not in that campaign :rolleyes:

Put down the CC industry???? am i that powerful...man relax....believe me i am not trying to put down the cc industry.  Its just a personal opinion that guys from good schools (ateneo, lasalle, etc) are better off  in a nation building industries rather than gather dust and rust in front of a computer monitor.  Sayang ang binayad ng mga tatay at nanay nyo sa mga unibersidad at kolehiyo at di nyo natamo ang dapat nyong abutin...dahil ba mataas ang sweldo at commission dyan sa cc e justified na ang pagsasayang nyo ng talino at potential dyan?

man, this sucks!

*os the way you put it, the development of our country in vested in traditional industries... why don't you try reading Alvin Toffler, John Naisbitt or any futurist... you are trying to compare this country's development with other first world countries; and so that you'll be informed, we do not have the same conditions that spawned their industrial revolution. moreover, the philippines does not have the same historical and cultural outlook of those countries.

:headsetsmiley: Also, you think the CC industry is just about gathering dust and rust in front of a computer monitor... think again man! this only shows that you are not up-to-date to the current trends in world business... after the bust of the DOTCOM industry, the primary industry is Customer Care. and that is concurrent with Toffler's Third Wave of revolution.

:goatee: And about Sayang ang binayad ng mga tatay at nanay nyo sa mga unibersidad at kolehiyo at di nyo natamo ang dapat nyong abutin...dahil ba mataas ang sweldo at commission dyan sa cc e justified na ang pagsasayang nyo ng talino at potential dyan?, do you think a bum is better than a working person? kung ano man ang aming gustong matamo, yun ay personal, iba-iba kada tao. at wala kang karapatang husgahan kung saan man kami magtrabaho... we are DOING WORK, FOR ourselves, AND FOR the country. potential is only potential unless you put it in use.

:mtc: di naman ako nasasaktan. but you have a very narrow-concept of what you are trying to write about. and since you wrote that "good schools" = "lasalle/ateneo", oo mahal tuition nila. alam namin. but don't descriminate the ones from the less-known schools. CC = jobs. coming from one of the good schools does not ensure a job.

:wacko:

man, this sucks!

*os the way you put it, the development of our country in vested in traditional industries... why don't you try reading Alvin Toffler, John Naisbitt or any futurist... you are trying to compare this country's development with other first world countries; and so that you'll be informed, we do not have the same conditions that spawned their industrial revolution. moreover, the philippines does not have the same historical and cultural outlook of those countries.

:headsetsmiley: Also, you think the CC industry is just about gathering dust and rust in front of a computer monitor... think again man! this only shows that you are not up-to-date to the current trends in world business... after the bust of the DOTCOM industry, the primary industry is Customer Care. and that is concurrent with Toffler's Third Wave of revolution.

:goatee: And about Sayang ang binayad ng mga tatay at nanay nyo sa mga unibersidad at kolehiyo at di nyo natamo ang dapat nyong abutin...dahil ba mataas ang sweldo at commission dyan sa cc e justified na ang pagsasayang nyo ng talino at potential dyan?, do you think a bum is better than a working person? kung ano man ang aming gustong matamo, yun ay personal, iba-iba kada tao. at wala kang karapatang husgahan kung saan man kami magtrabaho... we are DOING WORK, FOR ourselves, AND FOR the country. potential is only potential unless you put it in use.

:mtc: di naman ako nasasaktan. but you have a very narrow-concept of what you are trying to write about. and since you wrote that "good schools" = "lasalle/ateneo", oo mahal tuition nila. alam namin. but don't descriminate the ones from the less-known schools. CC = jobs. coming from one of the good schools does not ensure a job.

:wacko:

When you say CC is now the primary industry after the dot coms, be afraid, man...be very afraid....you may as well find yourself in the same predicament as those who embraced the dot coms.

The lack of traditional industries despite the Philippines being a natural resources rich country is a sign that most of us would rather try new industries like the CCs. But this isnt doing good to us as we continue to disregard what really matters to us and to our nation. Please be honest with me, man...bakit ba nandito yang mga CCs? Hindi ba dahil cheaper ang labor natin dito at maraming madali ma encourage (o mauto) ang mga fresh grads to join them? Arent your bosses just taking advantage of your over eagerness to join their companies because of the lack of jobs? maski irregular ang pasok nyo sige lang ng sige....I think CC's are fostering twisted sense of time for people like you (working at night ...sleeping at day...). Worse, saan ba napupunta ang malaking chunk ng income ng CC? hindi ba napupunta rin overseas? Sino ba yumayaman? Me Filipino bang nagiging ka level ng mga boss nyo in terms of financial rewards?

When I wrote about graduates of good schools (ateneo, lasalle) just being satisfied with CC work, it y just be a rush of frustration. Sana they have given their slots na lang to more deserving students who would choose to do something else...Going to CCs nowadays is a usual excuse kasi wala pang napapasukang iba ang mga graduates natin. Nobody really studied to end in a CC, right. Maski ngayon na magfo-four years na mga CCs in operation, wala man lang college kid na nag aral talaga to go to a CC.

CCs just like the DOT coms are good. They train people to respond to contingencies which is good. Train them to converse in english which is good. Give them good earning opportunities which is good. However, to put all your pennies in one basket which is CC is dangerous. Still not convinced, go to Yahoo and search "Fall of Dot coms". Easy.

Again, this is my personal opinion.

atenista or lasalista ka nga e kung bum ka sa bahay? ano napala mo? mga cc kung tutuusin magandang stepping stone sa mga newly grads yan...pero kung ganun talaga view mo na sayang pinag-aralan nila e siguro ang problema sa tao na di ba?

wachatink? :)

When you say CC is now the primary industry after the dot coms, be afraid, man...be very afraid....you may as well find yourself in the same predicament as those who embraced the dot coms. 

The lack of traditional industries despite the Philippines being a natural resources rich country is a sign that most of us would rather try new industries like the CCs.  But this isnt doing good to us as we continue to disregard what really matters to us and to our nation.  Please be honest with me, man...bakit ba nandito yang mga CCs?  Hindi ba dahil cheaper ang labor natin dito at maraming madali ma encourage (o mauto) ang mga fresh grads to join them?  Arent your bosses just taking advantage of your over eagerness to join their companies because of the lack of jobs?  maski irregular ang pasok nyo sige lang ng sige....I think CC's are fostering twisted sense of time for people like you (working at night ...sleeping at day...).  Worse, saan ba napupunta ang malaking chunk ng income ng CC? hindi ba napupunta rin overseas?  Sino ba yumayaman? Me Filipino bang nagiging ka level ng mga boss nyo in terms of financial rewards?

When I wrote about graduates of good schools (ateneo, lasalle) just being satisfied with CC work, it y just be a rush of frustration.  Sana they have given their slots na lang to more deserving students who would choose to do something else...Going to CCs nowadays is a usual excuse kasi wala pang napapasukang iba ang mga graduates natin.  Nobody really studied to end in a CC, right.  Maski ngayon na magfo-four years na mga CCs in operation, wala man lang college kid na nag aral talaga to go to a CC. 

CCs just like the DOT coms are good.  They train people to respond to contingencies which is good.  Train them to converse in english which is good.  Give them good earning opportunities which is good.  However, to put all your pennies in one basket which is CC is dangerous.  Still not convinced, go to Yahoo and search "Fall of Dot coms".  Easy.

Again, this is my personal opinion.

i spent a couple of yrs at a credit card company before i got into a cc... it took me 2 1/2 yrs to realize that i wasnt cut out to be in a corporate world,i needed a different thing i guess... sa cc parang college all over again! plus it FITS MY LIFESTYLE.period

dlsu, ateneo, etc... wala sa skul yan! depende yan sa tao... kng bobo ka @ makitid utak mo, nde na mababago un... kahit san ka pa magtrabaho! :P

depende sa cc na papasukan mo din... kng may net access, mas madami ka tlagang ma22nan.

sa ibang trabaho ganun din nman ang gagawin mo lagi, paulit-ulit lng... juz lyk me, iv experienced working (ojt) in an ordinary ofice... ung tipong rank n file lng gagawin mo... un ang boring @ walang kagana-ganang work, aantukin lng ako dun... :P

pssst, some side effects i see of peeps workin in CC are...

the gain weight, they tend to over eat.

my advice, change your body clock, most specially those in the gy shifts, sad but you have to lead a vampires life, that is, sleeping during daytime, waking in the afternoon for breakfast...

unless of course, you have a 6 hour sleep regimen goin.

pssst, some side effects i see of peeps workin in CC are...

the gain weight, they tend to over eat.

my advice, change your body clock, most specially those in the gy shifts, sad but you have to lead a vampires life, that is, sleeping during daytime, waking in the afternoon for breakfast...

unless of course, you have a 6 hour sleep regimen goin.

hehehe :lol: wala kc magawa kundi kumain...