how bout urinary tract infection? is it considered as a std? is it possible to get such from a girl's dirty mouth; after a oral sex with girl's with tooth decay?

I'm not a full-pledged doctor because I worked for a pharmaceutical company straightly after medical school days. However, during my stint at medical school I religiously studied pathology and medicine especially on STDs (because I was sexually active at that time and I find it very interesting). Until I noticed all of my friends are consulting me about STDs. Anyway, so much for an intro.

UTI is not an STD per se. From the term itself, SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED disease, you can only transmit or acquire it by sexual intercourse. Anal, vagina, mouth or any other part of the body that has a moist area or fluids can transmit or acquire STD. If you are blown by a lady who did some oral to a guy with an STD, (Herpes, Gonno, SY) chances are, you will acquire the microrganism. If the girl you had contact with has mild UTI, you may or may not get it. It depends on the severity of the UTI and the level of your immunity.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Mga Docs, I saw at makati med sa blood bank nila, that donors are screened first for hepa/hiv and other diseases. Is this test usual? are this reliable? do you agad ba if ur infected or not?

this is an SOP in bloodbanks b'coz they want to make sure that the blood that they are going to transfuse to their patients are safe. reliability...yes they are. they screen you of the usual blood born dse like hep. B, malaria, and other infections. you'll know if your infected...not really. as you said, they are screening procedures. they detect antibodies/antigens specific for an infection, however, having the antibody or antigen DOES NOT imply infection itself. if you ant to make sure, have the specific confirmatory test done.

how common is genital hpv infection? totoo ba na lahat ng babae sa massage parlors ay meron nito?

now that's stereotyping :thumbsdownsmiley:

of course not! its like saying all birds can fly! admittedly, sex workers has a higher risk in acquiring genital warts (the disease you get for getting the virus), all of us are at risk. besides, high class massage parlors guarantee the safety of costumers by following a standard safe sex protocol and have their ladies checked-up every once in a while.

impossible naman ma check ang hpv sa guys, do you mean all massage parlors provide pap smear to all their sex workers?

yeah seriously, i have no confidence in these so-called "regular checkups". what do they actually get tested for pag nag pacheckup? i would think that they would get tests for a few diseases, but i strongly doubt that they get tested for ALL stds.

• 3 weeks later...
how common is genital hpv infection? totoo ba na lahat ng babae sa massage parlors ay meron nito?

i have treated a lot of hpv infection. there are around 100 species of hpv. most are contracted from non-sexual contact and usually these are the warts on the extremities or other non-genital areas.

20-30 types species are spread by sexual contact and cause genital warts. among those there are 2 classifications.

high risk and low risk. the common low risk species are 6 and 11 while the high risk are 16, 18, 31, 34 and 35.

all of them cause genital warts but the high risk ones cause cervical cancer in women.

so for women who are sexually active, its best to get an hpv test done with your pap smear to determine if you are at risk for cervical cancer. for men on the other hand, if you have genital warts, at least have the woman who is important to you get that test.

cervical cancer is highly prventable with regular pap smears. there is a new vaccine out now called gardasil which warrants protection against hpv 6, 11, 16 and 18.

Hi magkano ba ung pa chekc sa lahat ng STD ?

Meron ba yun sa makati med and magkano po?

Medyo nakakahiya kasi mag pa check pero alam ko its normal naman diba?

Had an encounter recently with someone I just met and I wanna be sure.

I just want to have the peace of mind eh.

At isa pa, should I wait for a couple of months para ma sok

Para isang punta nalang? Medyo low budget din me kasi ngayon eh.

Matagl ba bago lumabas ung proper results?

Thanks

Nakakahiya tuloy mag post dito

Hi magkano ba ung pa chekc sa lahat ng STD ?

Meron ba yun sa makati med and magkano po?

Medyo nakakahiya kasi mag pa check pero alam ko its normal naman diba?

Had an encounter recently with someone I just met and I wanna be sure.

I just want to have the peace of mind eh.

At isa pa, should I wait for a couple of months para ma sok

Para isang punta nalang? Medyo low budget din me kasi ngayon eh.

Matagl ba bago lumabas ung proper results?

Thanks

Nakakahiya tuloy mag post dito

Well there are a lot of tests to determine if you STD....and my advice is you go to hospital and pls dont be shy with your condition

because as a patient you have a right to privacy and a right to get informed whats happening with you.

Well just to answer your question the test ranges from a simple urine sample test to a very complex HIV test (Western blot)....Im not sure whether this is available in large medical centers as this test is not a routine tests as we do in the states....i think it is still not mandatory in the philippines to order that test unless you have an indication for that test...your doctor will detemine the necessity of the test as it is very expensive.....

the lab test ranges from...according to my colleague....50PHP to 8000PHP for the sophisticated tests....

May kamahalan pala

Wanted sana teh complete std tests pero diba mas mabuting mag intay ng ilang months para sure na accurate?

Well if you feel and notice something unsual or isnt just right....you better see a doctor quickly. Should you delay seeking consultation, you will have to spend more on the tests should you have any illness. If ever you are ill (in which hopefully you are not) and delay consultation, you may have developed addtional complications which will require further treatment. And there is also no standard or routine set of tests in which you will be succumb to but instead your doctor will decide for you. The good about the doctors in the philippines is that they will provide advise in order to minimize your costs of laboratories. Most will not use the shotgun approach doing ALL the tests and picking out the abnormal ones which is financially inappropriate.

Oic thats good.

But I gues there some sort of routine check up.

I mean So they know what tests to let the patient undergo

Magkano kaya bayad sa ganun.

Donating blood is a good idea since you would have to undergo blood exams such as Hepatitis B Ig, HIV screening and CBC.

If you opt do do it on your own, I recommend you have the following done: (with price estimate)

1. HIV screening (ELISA not Westen Blot) -- 700-800

2. Hepatitis B IgG and Hepatitis B Ag - 2,000

3. Herpes II IgG - 1,700

4. Chlamydia (more important in women) - 800

5. RPR or VDRL (Syphilis) -- 700

6. HPV DNA (only for women, done during pap smear) -- 2,500

As a rule of thumb, for HIV, Hepatitis, Herpes (to avoid the window period) have them done 3 months after first intercourse with suspected person. Chlamydia and syphilis test usually come out positive shortly after intercourse.

Meron na daw gamot na 2 (1000mg each) inuman lang tanggal lahat ng bacteria sa katawan. I forgot the name maybe our doctors can help.

that's called shotgun antibiotic. generally, that is not advised. "good medicine" always correlates treatment with signs and symptoms.

Dr. Nadia,

San po ang clinic nyo and ano po sched.. gusto ko po sana magpa check sa inyo...

thanks...

im on vacation now. will pm you when i get back.

also, let me correct myself. for the hepatitis B test, one needs Hepa B surface antigen (HBsAg).

that's called shotgun antibiotic. generally, that is not advised. "good medicine" always correlates treatment with signs and symptoms.

Hi Nadia, I think I know you personaly from the early days of MtC? :rolleyes: Remember me?

My friend from a pharmaceutical company told me its Zithromax from Pfizer. 1 hour after meal, Once a day for 2 days. Ano kaya epekto nito? :goatee:

Edited by jerzz

true. i'm not really in favor of giving shotgun therapy or else the patient would probably end up needing stronger antibiotics in the future due to increasing microbial resistance. :(

My friend from a pharmaceutical company told me its Zithromax from Astra. 1 hour after meal, Once a day for 2 days. Ano kaya epekto nito? :goatee: [/color]

Zithromax or Azithromycin is very effective for infections caused by Chlamydia and it's usually given 1 g single dose. I'd still go for Cephalosporins and Quinolones for Gonococcal infections though.

Hi Nadia, I think I know you personaly from the early days of MtC? :rolleyes: Remember me?

My friend from a pharmaceutical company told me its Zithromax from Astra. 1 hour after meal, Once a day for 2 days. Ano kaya epekto nito? :goatee:

kUNG GUSTO MO MAS TOXIC NA REGIMEN YOU CAN GO FOR CEFTRIAXONE 125MG/IM (INTRAMUSCULAR) PARA SA GONORRHEA THEN DOXYCYCLINE 100MG/TAB 2X A DAY X 7DAYS TO COVER FOR CHLAMYDIA. DI MO KASI MASABI IF YOU HAVE ONE OR BOTH SYMPTOMWISE. ZITHROMAX IS A GOOD ALTERNATIVE FOR CHLAMYDIA.

"Zithromax or Azithromycin is very effective for infections caused by Chlamydia and it's usually given 1 g single dose. I'd still go for Cephalosporins and Quinolones for Gonococcal infections though."

nabibili po ba ang mga ito "over the counter?"

They're supposed to ask for the prescriptions pero a lot of drug stores are not that strict though.