Jefferson Airplane (Starship)

Fleetwood Mac

10 cc (I'm not in love)

Allman Brothers

Lynrd Skynrd

Yes

Foreigner

Toto

Crosby, Still, Nash and Young (teach your children)

At ung paborito ni Bods - Boz Scaggs

Sobrang dami, all had a unique sound. Honestly, sobrang talented ng mga 70s artists.

Ngayon rap artists na lang, one hit wonders, no angst just plain bad attitudes and cursing. Tapos pare-pareho na lang ang theme.

Sige dagdag din ako:

Average White Band

KC & the Sunshine Band

Kool & the Gang

Cat Stevens

Don Mclean

Diana Ross

MFSB - Love is the Message, TSOP, TLC

Eumir Deodato

Biddu Orchestra

Meco

Alec Constandinos

Cerrone

Earth Wind & Fire

Sergio Mendez & Brazil 77

Herb Alpert & Lanie Hall

Bob James

Ahmad Jamal

Manhattan Transfer

Miracles

The Spinners

Burt Bacharach & Hal David

Gladys Knight & the Pips

The Blue Magic

The Main Ingredient

The Temptations

The Stylistics

Gloria Gaynor

Donna Summer

Marvin Gaye

Barry White

Isaac Hayes

Tower of Power

Bee Gees

Aerosmith

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

The Carpenters

Barry Mannilow

Seals & Crofts

Doobie Brothers

Paul Williams

Hellen Reddy

Frank Sinatra - My Way

Paul Anka

Johnny Mathis

Stephanie Mills

Terri de Sario

Barbra Streisand

Village People

Pouzze

Musique

Love & Kisses

Minnie Ripperton

Cher

And last for now

James Last

:thumbsupsmiley:

Sige dagdag din ako:

Average White Band ...

And last for now

James Last

:thumbsupsmiley:

The musical genres that came out of the 70s are varied. Beyond disco, there's soul, rock, funk, etc. Even rap can be traced back to the 70s!

Not to mention that even OPM probably was at its most productive and experimental stage in the 70s. Come to think of it, if not for "Pers Lab", OPM would probably still be relegated to the category of novelty songs. The Hotdogs were the first to break the barrier and get their music played on FM.

In fact, a radio station can manage to play OPM the whole day. Remember DWLM? Super tunog-Pinoy? The official radio station of jeepneys plying the Balic balic-Quiapo route? Crappy but hey, pinoy sound all day. Hehehe . . . Then there's DZRJ - Pinoy rock and rhythm. A whole program playing nothing but original Pinoy rock, folk, etc. I wonder if those things can still be done today without the station running out of songs to play and ending up playing the same records every thirty minutes or so?

You see, Pinoys have always been good. But back then, what distinguished the popular artists/bands from your average lounge acts was their ability to produce original covers for their audience.

Nowadays, Pinoy artists and groups can survive on nothing but remakes. Kahit 5 years old pa lang yung kanta, rini-remake na. Minsan, same song, five different artists will have their own versions. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.... :huh:

And they dare say nothing came out of the 70s but disco? :thumbsdownsmiley:

You see, Pinoys have always been good.  But back then, what distinguished the popular artists/bands from your average lounge acts was their ability to produce original covers for their audience. 

Nowadays, Pinoy artists and groups can survive on nothing but remakes.  Kahit 5 years old pa lang yung kanta, rini-remake na.  Minsan, same song, five different artists will have their own versions.  Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.... :huh:

And they dare say nothing came out of the 70s but disco? :thumbsdownsmiley:

Yes, it's sad. isn't it?

Then there's DZRJ - Pinoy rock and rhythm.  A whole program playing nothing but original Pinoy rock, folk, etc.

I never missed Pinoy Rock and Rhythm with Kagatan, Balong Malalim, Himig Natin, Jeepning Lumilipad, Kool ka lang pare, Rock n Roll sa Ulan.

Nakup, today's music, hindi lang they all sound the same, they all look the same pa. I think video has played a significant role in the decline of music. In the old days, you only needed a good voice (sige siguro some showmanship during live performances) to make it. Nowadays, the visual appeal has to be there (if you call a body full of tatoos appealing). One can imagine how many potential talents never bothered to try because they looked...plain.

Paul Williams? with Jessica Harper in the Phantom of the Paradise -

The 70s MUSICAL answer to the horror-oriented Phantom of the Opera movies; it also pre-dated the musical Phantom of the Opera of the 90s.

One classic scene I remember was when the gay rock singer was in the bathroom and the phantom placed a toilet bowl plunger into his mouth and told him not to sing his songs.

You guys remember this? Tawang tawa kami ng utol ko dito sa scene na ito.

And the songs, though they were not Billboard hits, showed us a different side of Paul Williams' musical genius - not the side popularized by the Carpenters and Helen Reddy, etc...

Speaking of Paul Williams, I believe that he competed in the Tokyo Music Festival some time during the 70s and won the gold prize. During that same year, however, it was our very own Pilita who won the grand prize. Then again, the Tokyo Music Festival has always been about interpretation, not composition. But Pilita's victory was really a big thing then.

As for children, I've told my daughter that the first boy who comes knocking on my door to see her will get a fist from me.  So if she hates anyone, let him come. (Joke ha!)

hahaha! Grabe pala ang tight guarding mo JT...mala Freddie Webb :P

I don't have a daughter and I don't think I ever will, so I can only speculate on how it would feel like if/when she introduces her first BF. When my 14 yr old son told me he had a GF, my initial instinctive reaction was to exchange a high five with him. Told me through an SMS message which is still preserved in my SIM card to this day.

hahaha! Grabe pala ang tight guarding mo JT...mala Freddie Webb  :P

I don't have a daughter and I don't think I ever will, so I can only speculate on how it would feel like if/when she introduces her first BF. When my 14 yr old son told me he had a GF, my initial instinctive reaction was to exchange a high five with him. Told me through an SMS message which is still preserved in my SIM card to this day.

I can relate with jt. Have a daughter myself and i shudder when i think

about her having to eventually mingle with boys. I had previously resolved

to keep my hands off her cellphone to respect her privacy, but now i'm not so sure.

Sama no?

Kumusta mga 70s Peeps.

Ganitong panahon masarap pumunta sa Baguio. Pulos Manileño rin makikita mo. Naaalala ko nung panahong iyon, from 78-80, we spent the sembreak in Baguio. Laging 2 cars kami kung umakyat although 4 lang kaming barkada. Siempre alam nyo na kung bakit. Pero, palaging Manila girls din ang aming.... :P

Kundi mga kolehiyala ay mga taga UP din. :D

My daughter is 9 years old. Mejo matagal-tagal pa para maging Freddie Webb. :lol:

Kumusta mga 70s Peeps.

Ganitong panahon masarap pumunta sa Baguio. Pulos Manileño rin makikita mo. Naaalala ko nung panahong iyon, from 78-80, we spent the sembreak in Baguio. Laging 2 cars kami kung umakyat although 4 lang kaming barkada. Siempre alam nyo na kung bakit. Pero, palaging Manila girls din ang aming.... :P

Kundi mga kolehiyala ay mga taga UP din. :D

My daughter is 9 years old. Mejo matagal-tagal pa para maging Freddie Webb. :lol:

Kami naman Storm, Baguio was every Holy Week. Sometimes we would just go without any plans for accomodations since we were bound to bump into someone we knew anyway. In hindsight ang kapal pala namain, uma-asa sa kindness ng iba...hehehe

Good Morning to all!

As for children, I've told my daughter that the first boy who comes knocking on my door to see her will get a fist from me.  So if she hates anyone, let him come. (Joke ha!)

I can relate with jt. Have a daughter myself and i shudder when i think

about her having to eventually mingle with boys. I had previously resolved

to keep my hands off her cellphone to respect her privacy, but now i'm not so sure.

Sama no?

I too have a 15 year old daughter. Everytime we go malling i seem to notice guys her age looking at her. Sometimes a group pa nga. What i do is to stare at the guy until he notices that the dad's staring at him. Imagnie a 5'10" bald guy staring at you..... i think he get's the point... Although i do admit that it's a nice feeling seeing guys looking at your daughter. ....

We can raise our kids the best way we can, and try to instill in them the only the good values and timeless knowledge passed on to us.  But at they end of the day we can only hope that the partners they go out with, and maybe those who marry them, will treat them with the same love and respect that we did as their parents.

I have to agree with Pinoy's view. Common guys, snap out of it! Some years back, we were those 15 year olds who looked at young women (in fact, some of us (?) still look at them 'til now :boo: !!!). Give these guys a break. Attraction is part of it but it should be done properly.

It's good that our children are attracted to the opposite sex. Imagine it, if they are attracted to co-gender! :thumbsdownsmiley:

We can raise our kids the best way we can, and try to instill in them the only the good values and timeless knowledge passed on to us.  But at they end of the day we can only hope that the partners they go out with, and maybe those who marry them, will treat them with the same love and respect that we did as their parents.

I have to agree with Pinoy's view.  Common guys, snap out of it!  Some years back, we were those 15 year olds who looked at young women (in fact, some of us (?) still look at them 'til now :boo: !!!).  Give these guys a break.  Attraction is part of it but it should be done properly.

It's good that our children are attracted to the opposite sex.  Imagine it, if they are attracted to co-gender! :thumbsdownsmiley:

I totally agree with you guys. :thumbsupsmiley:

Halloween na naman.

Today 25 years ago, was one of the happiest moments of my life. :D :heart:

Teka 1980 iyon ah! My apologies to the thread. :P

I have to agree with Pinoy's view.  Common guys, snap out of it!  Some years back, we were those 15 year olds who looked at young women (in fact, some of us (?) still look at them 'til now :boo: !!!).  Give these guys a break.  Attraction is part of it but it should be done properly.

It's good that our children are attracted to the opposite sex.  Imagine it, if they are attracted to co-gender! :thumbsdownsmiley:

Nakupu. It's precisely because we've been there that we're rather wary. We know what happens, or what can happen, even if they don't think we do.

As for your last statement, pareng Masi, remember that incident that happened one night in 1979, inside one long tent, during our bivouac?

Nakupu.  It's precisely because we've been there that we're rather wary.  We know what happens, or what can happen, even if they don't think we do.

As for your last statement, pareng Masi, remember that incident that happened one night in 1979, inside one long tent, during our bivouac?

JT, I remember telling my wife and friends that I dread to see the day my daughter will be going on dates, simply because she might be dating a man like her dad!!!! :boo:

May i set the record straight, I was never near that tent that December night in '79!!!! :boo: Seems like a cross of M. Butterfly and the Summer of 42!!!! :lol:

JT, I remember telling my wife and friends that I dread to see the day my daughter will be going on dates, simply because she might be dating a man like her dad!!!! :boo:

May i set the record straight, I was never near that tent that December night in '79!!!! :boo:  Seems like a cross of M. Butterfly and the Summer of 42!!!! :lol:

Dating someone like her dad? :wub: I hope this is not what they call PAY BACK TIME ? Tsk, tsk...

Dating someone like her dad? :wub:  I hope this is not what they call PAY BACK TIME ?  Tsk, tsk...

In other words, karma. :)

Buti na lang I don't have a daughter to worry about. Good boy kasi ako nuong araw eh. :evil: But then again, it doesn't mean having a son is that much easier. I guess you guys would agree that we do have other things to worry about with our boys. :huh:

Para naman hindi masyado malayo ang usapan: I guess the 70s was a time when a lot of us here experienced a lot of firsts. First date, first taste of beer, first cigarette, first puff of weed even. . . Speaking of which, the stuff that kids nowadays are exposed to, nakakatakot na. (Ayan! Parent mode na naman!)

Two things quickly come to mind. Remember Lim Seng? He was the Chinese drug pusher who was sentenced to death by firing squad during the early years of Martial Law. And I remember this commercial on TV where the message was to stay off drugs. It featured this promising college guy who allegedly (the words I can't forget) "graduated from marijuana to LSD and then to heroin." Then they showed his image inside a coffin. :cry:

Edited by Magaling
In other words, karma. :)

Buti na lang I don't have a daughter to worry about.  Good boy kasi ako nuong araw eh. :evil:  But then again, it doesn't mean having a son is that much easier.  I guess you guys would agree that we do have other things to worry about with our boys. :huh:

Para naman hindi masyado malayo ang usapan:  I guess the 70s was a time when a lot of us here experienced a lot of firsts.  First date, first taste of beer, first cigarette, first puff of weed even. . .  Speaking of which, the stuff that kids nowadays are exposed to, nakakatakot na.  (Ayan! Parent mode na naman!)

Two things quickly come to mind.  Remember Lim Seng?  He was the Chinese drug pusher who was sentenced to death by firing squad during the early years of Martial Law.  And I remember this commercial on TV where the message was to stay off drugs.  It featured this promising college guy who allegedly (the words I can't forget) "graduated from marijuana to LSD and then to heroin."  Then they showed his image inside a coffin. :cry:

I guess the only thing to hope for is that our kids gravitate towards the right crowd.

So medyo subtle na ang approach when we expose the child to the right people,

tapos call na nila yun.

I also remember that drug ad, in fact if we're talking about the same ad,

that guy was one batch ahead of me in high school. Pretty boy, not exactly what

i'd call an intellectual heavyweight ( not that i'm one myself ) , but he was ok,

made the grade. I forget his name, though, and i suppose it wouldn't be proper to

mention it, although i hear he was able to recover from his darker days and even made

CEO in a rather large firm.

Two things quickly come to mind.  Remember Lim Seng?  He was the Chinese drug pusher who was sentenced to death by firing squad during the early years of Martial Law.  And I remember this commercial on TV where the message was to stay off drugs.  It featured this promising college guy who allegedly (the words I can't forget) "graduated from marijuana to LSD and then to heroin."  Then they showed his image inside a coffin. :cry:

I remember the TV news showing Lim Seng as his sentence was being read. He just looked straight ahead and kept swallowing air. I also remember the clips they showed of Lim Seng blindfolded and facing a firing squad at the Luneta.

Decades later, in one episode of "The Bob Garon Debates," Fr. Bob, who was (is) involved in the rehabilitation of those suffering from substance abuse, said something of this nature: "Say what you want about Marcos, but after Lim Seng, drugs practically disappeared in the Philippines." (Words to that effect, anyway)

Edited by jt2003

Having a son doesn't make it much easier.

I'm ambivalent about getting my son a driver's license. Flashback 25 years ago when I first had mine...I actually consider myself luck to be in a road mishap a few months after I got my license because at an early stage I already knew how foolhardy it was to treat Manila's roads as a racing circuit. Since then I've never been involved in any major accident. No way naman I'd want my kid to learn the same way I did.

Back to the present day, you read a lot of stories on carjacking and they involve people you wouldn't even suspect to be thieves. So what will I do? Get a bodyguard? Not allow him to drive? Impose a curfew? None of those sound appealing if I want him to have a normal adolscence.