All About Basketball Shoes

Dr.Love

Sa mga meron na or nakakita na in person.

----Which is Better Looking: Black Outs or MPLS?

-----Pag Patibayan ng Leather or matagal mag crease sa Black Outs or yung sa MPLS(Hindi ko alam kung tawag dun suede or nubuck).

-----Pag Lilinisin madali ba yun sa MPLS?

*Yung sa BlackOuts may portion sa kabilang side na the same sila ng leather ng MPLS.

Meron na ako Zoom Kobe 1 Black Outs and Zoom Uptempo Motion Nash.

Next Target yung USA Lebron 20.5.5. Aantayin ko muna lumabas sa Pinas ito. Pero kung hindi lumabas eh yung Kobe na lng na 2k4 na Parang Design na Cheetah.

post-76145-1156452660.jpg

post-76145-1156453080.jpg

Edited by edc

actually the people who designed the earlier jordans are behind the starbury too.

and nike's jordan line advertising manager is the one handling the starbury. what i watched in espn is that starbury is trying to give the kids an oppurtunity to wear an nba player endorsed shoe that doesn't cost $150 - $200.

according to that documentary too, no athletic shoe costs more than 15 bucks to manufacture. :rolleyes:

in fact starbury would wear the shoe this upcoming season. asked by the reporter if he is risking his career by wearing that shoe, starbury replied "what risk are you talking about? i've told you several times, this shoe is engineered the same way as those $180 shoes. there is no risk."

come to think of it:

1. why does the other nba endorsed shoes cost too much? is the $2B athletic shoe business ripping off kids?

2. if the starbury is a success, would the other shoe manufacturers even consider lowering their prices?

i think this is noble on the part of starbury but i still dont like his play. :P

regarding the starbury shoes... I doubt kung may magkakaroon sa pinas nyan... or kung may dealer na mag-iimport sa atin ng brand nya...

about the prices of the shoes, mataas dahil sa technology ng shoes... and of course, dahil sa name ng brand and the endorser...

Sample is the jordan line up. It used to be NIKE(technically, nike pa din pero binigyan ng sariling division si jordan), tas arguably the top endorser ngayon and the technology the shoe has...

from expereince, yung fila, hindi maxado maganda panglaro (except yung ghill na nid cut at ghill na may kulay silver), yung DADA cdubbz ni webber(orig) ang tigas panglaro... mafefeel mo yung difference ng shoes and its technology... siguro sa atin, kung mababa price dito nyan, patok yan. ewan ko lang dun sa mga metikoloso sa technology... like me(may diperensya na kasi ako eh)

Edited by lost4words
about the prices of the shoes, mataas dahil sa technology ng shoes... and of course, dahil sa name ng brand and the endorser...

the same team that designed the jordans designed the starbury. :)

and according to the documentary. no athletic shoe costs more than $15 to make. sabihin mo ng $20 yung iba. then they sell it for $150-$200? :rolleyes:

although you are correct that there is a comfort level which is perceived when buying the expensive ones. maybe psychological for some?

again you are correct kung magkakaroon sa pinas ng starbury, coz in the US it is distributed only in Steve and Barry's.. :D but it was a hit in NY. :lol:

visit kayo sa Starbury

Kung idedetails lang yung technology yang shoes ni Stephon mas maganda. Kaya din mura kay Stephon hindi sya na-sweldohan jan. Percentage lang sa mga sales.

Kasi sa nike gumastos talaga sa marketing nila para idetails yung technology ng shoes nila.

Mahal talaga sa nike. Kasi sweldohan nila si Lebron ng 100 million dollars for 7 years ata. Tapos yung ibang models pa nila. Tapos mga ads pa nila sa TV....etc

Kaya kahit umabot ng 70off yung discount sa mga selected items sa Nike hindi pa rin sila lugi.

The best technology kasi in the market ngayon in regards sa Basketball yung Zoom Air. Mapa-wooden court or cemento wala problema.

NIKE shoe production in the Third World-- the facts

Indonesian workers make $2.46 a day

10,000 Indonesians went on strike to protest wages that are below subsistence level.

"If I don't work overtime, I can't survive," says Baltazar at PT Hasi Nike factory in Jakarta. He works an average of 40 overtime hours a week.

Vietnamese workers make $l.60 a day

1,300 workers at the Sam Yang factory went on strike to demand a one cent per hour raise in wages. Other issues include excessive and illegal overtime and compensation for working with hazardous material.

Chinese workers make $1.75 a day

There is no minimum wage in China and when abuses are discovered, the whole factory disappears. "The supervisors will get nervous and move the work to another province. It's impossible to monitor factory conditions," says Asia Monitor Resource Center in Hong Kong.

You pay over $100 for shoes that cost less than five dollars to make.

As a consumer, you can change Nike's unfair labor practices.

Write: NIKE Inc.

One Bowerman Drive

Beaverton, OR 97005

PHILIP KNIGHT, CEO of Nike is the sixth richest man in America. He is worth 5 billion dollars and profits off the backs of sweatshop laborers.

NIKE is the biggest shoe company in the world because it operates in countries where it is illegal to organize and collectively bargain for better wages and working conditions.

NIKE can afford to pay endorsers like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods and Monica Seles a combined total of over 60 million dollars to brand themselves with the swoosh.

Call NIKE at: 1-800-344-6453 (press 3 for comments)

Demand that NIKE pays overseas factory workers a living wage for an eight hour work day.

Vietnam and China should get $3.00 a day and Indonesia should get $4.00 a day.

For More Information contact Global Exchange: 415-255-7296,

E-mail: gx-kimberly@globalexchange.org

Address: 2017 Mission Street, Ste. 303, San Francisco, 94110

Questions and answers about NIKE

Where does Nike produce shoes?

1- During the 1970's, most Nike shoes were made in South Korea and Taiwan. When workers there gained new freedom to organize and wages began to rise, Nike looked for "greener pastures." It found them in Indonesia, China and most recently Vietnam - countries with no protective labor laws, endless supplies of cheap labor, and authoritarian leaders who outlaw independent labor unions.

2- By 1992, Nike had eliminated nearly all of their U.S. work force in favor of low-wage Asian producers.

Why pick on Nike, if all shoe companies are the same?

1- The Asian-American Free Labor Institute in Indonesia says Nike factory workers file more complaints about wage violations than any other shoe company.

2- Nike has been in Vietnam for less than two years and already one factory official has been convicted of physically abusing workers, another fled the country during a police investigation of sexual-abuse charges and a third is under indictment for abusing workers, as reported in the New York Times.

3- Nike, the biggest shoe company in the world, spends $978 million a year on marketing ploys that "empower" women and inner-city youth to buy overpriced shoes that are made with sweatshop labor.

4- Nike has a responsibility to abide by humane labor practices as defined by their Code of Conduct which says "in the area of human rights...in the communities in which we do business - we seek to do not only what is required, but what is expected of a leader." A leader would not lower human rights standards to maximize profits.

Aren't the workers happy to have the factory jobs?

1- Workers risk retaliation and further repression by staging strikes to protest Nike's unfair labor practices. In April 1997, 10,000 Indonesian workers went on strike over wage violation. In the same month, 1,300 workers in Vietnam went on strike demanding a one cent per hour raise and last year 3,000 workers in China went on strike to protest not only low wages, but hazardous working conditions.

2- If Nike sets up shop in a developing country, great things are supposed to happen because the workers need jobs. Yes, they need jobs. What they don't need is physical and verbal abuse by Nike factory supervisors. What they don't need is to work up to 192 overtime hours per month because they don't even make minimum wage at the Nike factories in Dongguan Province in China.

Isn't the minimum wage enough to live on in those countries?

1- If minimum wage was enough, workers would not have to work from 100 - 200 overtime hours per month.

2- The Indonesian government admits minimum wage is only 90% of subsistence needs for one person.

3- U.S. companies like Coca-cola and Goodyear recognize minimum wage is not enough. They are in Indonesia paying above minimum wage and have remained competitive in the global market.

Can Nike afford to pay workers a living wage?

1- Some U.S. companies like New Balance, make most of their shoes in the U.S. paying workers over 30 times what Nike workers get in Vietnam. And New Balance still makes a profit.

2- Less than 10 percent of Nike's 978 million dollar marketing budget could raise the salary of all their factory workers in Asia.

3- Nike has projected revenue at 9 billion dollars for 1997 and the CEO of Nike, Philip Knight is worth 5.2 billion dollars.

*5 dollars nga lng.(Pero luma na ito article) So its more sa Marketing Expenses nila kaysa Technology. Kasi yung Raw Material ng mga yan Pakyawan kaya mura nila nakukuha.

Pero ang ayoko lang sa Nike sa Asia na ginagawa yung shoes. Dapat sa USA para mas mataas Quality Control. Magulang kasi sa Profit eh.

Edited by edc

Hey, there! ;-)

Hope everyone's well ... not TOO stressed or overworked. ;-P Maybe over-SEXed? ;-)

Btw, got this in my egroups ... you might be interested:

Beat the holiday rush. Start your Christmas Shopping right now. Run to the Nike Lifestyle Product Sale at the 6/F Rufino Tower, Ayala Ave. Up to 70% discounts. Sale runs from Aug. 30 to Sept. 1 from 10AM to 7PM. Visa and Mastercard accepted.

Please spread the word.

Hey, if you've got extra cash to spend ... y not? ;-)

You might find good buys there...

See you peeps at future EBs.

Hey, there! ;-)

Hope everyone's well ... not TOO stressed or overworked. ;-P Maybe over-SEXed? ;-)

Btw, got this in my egroups ... you might be interested:

Beat the holiday rush. Start your Christmas Shopping right now. Run to the Nike Lifestyle Product Sale at the 6/F Rufino Tower, Ayala Ave. Up to 70% discounts. Sale runs from Aug. 30 to Sept. 1 from 10AM to 7PM. Visa and Mastercard accepted.

Please spread the word.

Hey, if you've got extra cash to spend ... y not? ;-)

You might find good buys there...

See you peeps at future EBs.

Thanks for the information. Pero may nabasa ako sa ibang forum na mga AMPAW daw yung mga binebenta dun. Karamihan daw for Womens ang mga Ok. Wala daw masyado or wala talaga Basketball shoes. More on sa Shirts and Shorts.

Pero baka mag-dag dag sila ng Stocks or As is na mga yan.

bro edc, out na ung kobe 2k4 na parang cheetah, i just saw it sa makati

Yes. Meron na sa Greenbelt pero Im still waiting muna dun sa Olympic Lebron 20.5.5

Pag hindi dumating 20.5.5 Yan na next target ko.

Haaaay ang hirap pag sa Sapatos ka maadik dahil ang Mahal!

edc - card mo na pareho! whooohooo!!! Mahal talaga ng hobby na ito!!! Tapus si Bob Knight lang yumayaman. Ok lang sana to pay this much kung nababayaran ng tama mga labourers nila. Bili na lang tayo ng Starbury sa ebay. 15 buck is a great deal kung kahit karampot ng comfort and durability ng And1 eh meron cya. At least di nakaka-guilty pang harabas! Genius din pagkagawa ng logo...letter na may goatee and a star!!!

the same team that designed the jordans designed the starbury. :)

and according to the documentary. no athletic shoe costs more than $15 to make. sabihin mo ng $20 yung iba. then they sell it for $150-$200? :rolleyes:

although you are correct that there is a comfort level which is perceived when buying the expensive ones. maybe psychological for some?

again you are correct kung magkakaroon sa pinas ng starbury, coz in the US it is distributed only in Steve and Barry's.. :D but it was a hit in NY. :lol:

visit kayo sa Starbury

Point well taken sir...

sabagay AND! nga compared sa NIKE or RBK ay mura...

AND1 ni A.I.? - reebok sya diba?

edc - card mo na pareho! whooohooo!!! Mahal talaga ng hobby na ito!!! Tapus si Bob Knight lang yumayaman. Ok lang sana to pay this much kung nababayaran ng tama mga labourers nila. Bili na lang tayo ng Starbury sa ebay. 15 buck is a great deal kung kahit karampot ng comfort and durability ng And1 eh meron cya. At least di nakaka-guilty pang harabas! Genius din pagkagawa ng logo...letter na may goatee and a star!!!

Wala ako credit card. Mas ok na din yun kasi baka pag may credit card bili lang ako ng bili.

Pero Regarding dun sa Starbury pag meron dito sa Pinas baka mapabili ako. Kasi Imagine 15 dollars so mga around 750pesos dito yun. Gawin na nating mga 1000 pesos carry pa rin.

Mas mura pa ito sa Accel. Kaso gusto ko talaga mabasa yung details ng technology ng Starbury.

ei..favor naman mga pipz.. sino sainyo may receipt for black aj4, sa nike stadium or park, nawala ko kasi un receipt ko, di ko na naitago after ko papalitan dati un shoes ng umangat un tahi, un pinalit na bagong pair, isang gamit ko pa lang umangat na naman..ipaayos ko sana sakanila, kaya kailngan ko sana ng receipt...thanks kung sino man magpapahiram...pa pm na lang po..

ei..favor naman mga pipz.. sino sainyo may receipt for black aj4, sa nike stadium or park, nawala ko kasi un receipt ko, di ko na naitago after ko papalitan dati un shoes ng umangat un tahi, un pinalit na bagong pair, isang gamit ko pa lang umangat na naman..ipaayos ko sana sakanila, kaya kailngan ko sana ng receipt...thanks kung sino man magpapahiram...pa pm na lang po..

Ibalik mo ulit dun sa pinalitan mo dati. Kahit wala resibo sigurado naman maalala nila na dun mo binili yun kasi pinalitan na nga eh.

Pero may mga nabasa nga ako ganyan regarding sa Jordan na madali bumigay. Karamihan yung mga Retro madali bumigay.

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2006/08/o...hoe-review.html

The Official Starbury One Shoe Review

The guys over at The Association have already talked about the Starbury Ones, so you can go there if you want the full story and origin of Stephon Marbury's signature shoe. If, on the other hand, you want to know whether the shoes are actually worth the cheap pleather they were printed on, you've come to the right place.

At a mere $14.98, the price of the Starbury Ones is unprecedented. I mean, there are homeless people walking the streets of Chicago who paid more for the paper bags they rubber-banded to their feet. And since we've been taught that even the most basic basketball shoes will run you anywhere from $50 to $70, the natural assumption is that the Starbury Ones are poorly made. And yet Stephon's offical site claims that the shoes are "exactly the same as the most expensive kicks in the market." Don't know what to believe? Well open wide baby bird, 'cause momma's got a big fat nightcrawler of Truth for you.

In order to review such an unprecedented shoe, I needed an unprecedented rating system, which is why I created the Starbury Shot Quantity Evaluator . Just as Stephon's personal happiness is directly proportional to the number of shots he gets in any given game, the SSQE rates shoes based the "quantity of shots" ratio that determine's Marbury's relative level of post-game satisfaction:

5 Shots = An unacceptable failure

10 Shots = A slight underachievement

15 Shots = Generally sufficient

20 Shots = Strangely pleasing

25+ Shots = So close to perfect you'll probably thank God

Mission Statement: 25+ shots

Every pair of Starbury Ones (and, in fact, everything in the Starbury Line) comes with a tag that reads as follows:

"This is about you and me. This is about you and me changing the world. This is about you and me saying it's not about the commercials, the gimmicks, the dollar signs. This is about you and me showing the world that it can be done. Starbury is my life. This line was built on what I've been through. From Coney Island to Madison Square Garden. These are the shoes I wear on the court; these are the clothes I wear off it. This is what I believe in. I'm tired of people saying it can't be done. Change the world with me."

Since Stephon is a selfish gunner with a well-earned reputation as a locker room cancer, it would be easy enough to cynically disregard these words. Just ask Larry Brown. But you've gotta admit, it sounds really good.

Availability: 5 Shots

I spent over a week trying to get my Starbury Ones, and it was a complete pain in the ass. I called the local Steve and Barry's (the only place the Starbury Line is sold) to reserve a pair. Somebody named "Debra" took my name, shoe size, and color preference, and told me I had to pick the shoes up by Saturday (they were released on Thursday). But when I showed up Thursday night, I was told by the store manager that S&B's doesn't reserve its merchandise. Even worse, all the Starbury shoes were already sold out. However, the manager assured me that another shipment was due tomorrow.

I called the next day and talked to "Lisa." I asked if the new Starbury shipment had come in, and she said no new shipments of anything were due until next week, and that there was no set day...the shipments just come in "whenever." When I asked to speak to the store manager, she informed me that she was the manager.

This process of calling and going by the store went on for an agonizing eight days. I finally found a single pair of size 13 Starbury Ones, in white. There were only two other pairs in the store; a white size 9 and a black size 11.

It shouldn't be that hard to get shoes. It really shouldn't. The sad part is, people are already selling the shoes on eBay. One schmuck is trying to sell a pair for $34.99 and charging $9.50 to ship them. Nice. Nothing like selling a $15 shoe for $45. What makes this an extra "Soon my Electro-Ray Will Destroy Metropolis" level of superdickery is that people are consciously buying shoes intended for the underprivileged for the purpose of reselling them for profit. I would like to extend a hearty "f#&k YOU" to those people.

Appearance: 20 Shots

Say what you will, but the Starbury Ones look good. They don't look like $150 shoes, but they look a hell of a lot better than $15 shoes have any right to look. They're sleek and stylish without being tacky (anyone remember the Dada Spree's?). I would not be ashamed to wear these shoes in public. And if they didn't say "Starbury" on the back, I might even feel downright good about wearing them.

Construction: 10 Shots

The leather of the shoe is extremely thin. The tongue of the shoes looks like it's held in by cheap medical gauze. The insole almost fell out when I removed the paper they stuff into the shoe so it holds its shape. Simply put, it's not the best made shoe in the world. But then again, for $15 how could it be?

I was tempted to rate the shoe's construction at 15 Shots, because it's the most well-crafted cheap shoe I've ever seen. However, the shoe is being touted as "exactly like" the most expensive basketball shoes on the market, and that's like saying a Big Mac is "exactly" like filet mignon. If used rigorously, these shoes will not last as long as more expensive shoes. And a Big Mac will give you a worse case of gas then a filet. I'm just sayin'.

Coolness Factor: 15 Shots

I wore these shoes to a pickup basketball game. I told everybody I was wearing Starbury Ones, and I explained how much they cost and that they were created to provide affordable basketball shoes for the urban youth. I then received a steady stream of mockery for the rest of the night.

But here's the thing: I was only made fun of after I told people about the shoes. Before that, nobody said anything about them. So sure, the Starbury Ones weren't wowing anybody, but nobody noticed they were "cheap shoes" until it was revealed. And mind you, some of these people are shoe fiends that absolutely must buy two copies of every pair of Air Jordans that come out, and they will not hesitate to laugh at someone for wearing Converse or low-end Nikes. So the Starbury Ones actually did an excellent job of fitting in and masquerading as middle to high-end shoes...which is exactly what they're supposed to do.

Wearability: 5 Shots

This is where the Starbury Ones fail. They just aren't comfortable. They ride high and really grip the ankle. This means that the shoes are hard to get on, rub the hell out of your ankle while you're wearing them, and then they're hard to take off. They're also rather big and clunky for basketball shoes, reminiscent of basketball shoes from the mid-90s. Fortunately (or unfortunately), the leather is thin and so the shoes are actually pretty light.

Speaking of the leather...it has all the flexibility of a cardboard box. Maybe there's a breaking-in period or something, but instead of comforming to the movement of your feet, the leather actually "caves in" while you walk. This caving-in process can produce sharp little indentations that poke your feet. This doesn't just happen while you're hooping it up, either; it also happens when you're just walking around. It's both annoying and a little painful.

The shoes don't have any arch support either, and there's very little padding, so it can feel like you're running up and down the court with a couple wooden planks strapped to your feet. Due to the weak sole and complete lack of arch support, it's difficult to jump and accelerate when running out on a fast break (not to mention the "clomp, clomp, clomp" sound you'll make while running). This will be a deterrent to almost anyone who plays competitive basketball, but especially to someone like me who has flat feet. By the end of the night, both of my feet were sore and my left knee was aching. I don't know how Stephon is going to get through next season playing in these things.

Overall Rating: 5 or 15 Shots

The final rating of these shoes really depends on what you're using them for. If you want something that looks cool to walk around in, then the Starbury Ones are a damn good shoe for $15. You could probably even use some gel inserts to make them more comfortable. BUT...if you expect to play basketball in them, you're going to be tragically disappointed. Not only will you end up with chronically sore feet to go along with your aching knees and ankles, the shoes aren't constructed well enough to last long under the pressure of serious balling. This isn't in the tagline, but Marbury might have created the first fully disposable basketball shoe.

*Bigla ako napaisip nung nabasa ko ito. "but Marbury might have created the first fully disposable basketball shoe."

Edited by edc
Ibalik mo ulit dun sa pinalitan mo dati. Kahit wala resibo sigurado naman maalala nila na dun mo binili yun kasi pinalitan na nga eh.

Pero may mga nabasa nga ako ganyan regarding sa Jordan na madali bumigay. Karamihan yung mga Retro madali bumigay.

oo nga ambilis talaga, un unang pair na nakuha ko, twice ko lang ata nagamit umangat na un tahi, tapos pinapalitan ko , pahirapan pa, almost 1month ako naghintay, di ko naman nagamit un shoes after ko makuha kasi di ako makapglaro ng tym na un(june) tapos ng wed ginamit ko sya for the first time, hindi lang umangat un tahi, natanggal na talaa sya..badtrip nga sobra e.sana nga tanggapin kahit walang resibo, kasi pag tingin ko sa shoes nakadikit pa pala un price nya sa ilalim.hehe

oo nga ambilis talaga, un unang pair na nakuha ko, twice ko lang ata nagamit umangat na un tahi, tapos pinapalitan ko , pahirapan pa, almost 1month ako naghintay, di ko naman nagamit un shoes after ko makuha kasi di ako makapglaro ng tym na un(june) tapos ng wed ginamit ko sya for the first time, hindi lang umangat un tahi, natanggal na talaa sya..badtrip nga sobra e.sana nga tanggapin kahit walang resibo, kasi pag tingin ko sa shoes nakadikit pa pala un price nya sa ilalim.hehe

Ako sayo next time mag-basa(read) ka muna ng mga Reviews ng mga shoes sa internet bago ka bumili ulit. Kasi mababasa mo dun yung experience ng mga other buyers sa shoe kung "true to size", "madali masira", cleaning procedure",traction, comfortabilty.......etc

(Like yung ZKB1 na binili ko, dapat pala half-size smaller binili ko kaya papalitan ko din. Ang nakakatuwa nabasa(read) ko na dati yun kaso hindi ko sinunod kasi nung sinukat ko parang ok naman yung size 10 pero pero nung nasa bahay na ako sinukat ko ulit at nung nilakad ko eh yung heel ko parang umaangat sa loob na parang pangit yung kapit sa heel area.)

Tapos kung bibili ka ulit dun ka sa Nike Park Greenbelt kasi mas ok yung mga staff dun. Wala pa ako experiece sa Stadium. Iba Company may hawak yang dalawa.

Edited by edc

I think yung quality ng Starburry line is similar sa mga counterfeit sa greenhills considering na pareho sila ng price. (less than 1k). Medyo exagerated ata yung review or sanay lang paa nila sa highend shoes.

Bad trip sarado na pala ung AND1 podium. Dito pa naman ok na bumili ng sale Items. Since the Rich kids who go here gets regular-priced kicks.