hello fellow wine-drinkers! when's the next wine eb? :)

i've been backreading and enjoying the trade of information. it's so nice to hear from people who know what goes behind those things they enjoy. i am, admittedly, rather clueless... and follow the "if it tastes good, then it must be good" mantra. so to know the itty bitty details is always very interesting.

keep em' coming. ;)

the paradigm applies to everyone here, i suppose... but it is taken to a higher level not just tasting but knowing what you are drinking... which makes this thread exciting.

reading through the list and the experience, there is so much to try and to learn..

i've been backreading and enjoying the trade of information. it's so nice to hear from people who know what goes behind those things they enjoy. i am, admittedly, rather clueless... and follow the "if it tastes good, then it must be good" mantra. so to know the itty bitty details is always very interesting.

keep em' coming. ;)

The best guide to drinking wine has always been your own personal tastebuds. Who's to say why you like a particular wine, or dislike another? One of my wine-drinking buddies is fond of 2-buck Chuck (Charles Shaw) and other inexpensive wines, telling me how great it is to pay so little for a drinkiable wine. I, on the other hand, prefer to drink a better-than-drinkable wine even if it means paying more and drinking less. To each his own. I think I'm converting him, though. He hasn't bought a case of chaep red in over 6 months, instead buying small lots of mid-priced, really good value, wines.

Wasn't always this way - I started out drinking Chianti (remember those bottles in baskets all the Italian restaurants used as candleholders? nah - you're too young!), Lancers, Mateus Rose, Boone's Farm.....back in the late 70's. Then it was California whites, mostly chardonnays. Then I went to France and drove through the Champagne and Burgundy regions, stopping at every "degustation" sign I came across, and discovered just how good a good wine really could be, and how expensive my tastes really were! That trip was also when I discovered Vouvray, chinon and other Loire Valley wines.

So I started reading, subscribed to the Wine Spectator magazine for a few years, started driving up to Napa and Sonoma regularly, discovered Livermore (much closer to home!), started buying case lots and futures and talking to the wine makers and just generally learning about wine. And started drinking more (and better) wine.

Now I have lots of wine trivia in my head, and even more wine in my (new! yay!) wine cabinet, most of which is (according to MY taste buds) really good stuff!

keep em' coming. ;)

the good thing about wine is that we get to learn new things everyday - there's such a wealth of knowledge about it...

we were all clueless too before...but with the Internet and all these literature, we get to be abreast of things...

most people don't agree on the reason for punts on wine bottles. the most common explanations being:

1. has historical glass blowing technique significance

2. makes the bottle less likely to topple over

3. serves to strengthen the bottle, particularly in case of sparkling wine

4. they can make bigger bottles for same amount of wine

5. for sediments

6. help to sell wine to people who believe that a deep punt is an indicator of a high quality wine   :D

check out alt.food.wine punt faq: http://pweb.netcom.com/~lachenm/puntFAQ.html

:lol: you're quite right pare - there are bottles with good-sized punts but taste acrimoniously disappointing...on the other hand, their cheap price should have given me a clue hehehe...

The pinot brouhaha continues. I've always liked pinots better than cabs but I strayed in years past. Now my tastes are broader and more universal - to include just about anything red!  :D

The one I most remember from the Mendocino trip was Annapolis winery. Haven't been there in a while, so I'll have to go see if I can find my trip notes for the other wineries. Pacific Star was another, I think.

The wineries in the Santa Ynez Valley (where Sideways was filmed) are also higher up - about 1000 ft, IIRC. Foxen (where Thomas Hayden Church meets Sandra Oh) is good. Lots of people like Fess Parker (filming site of the bad wine, "dump the spit bucket" scene), but I don't. Firestone is good - they have an excellent cab. Again, lots of little ones.

Another relatively high altitude location is Paso Robles. Just now up and coming. Great syrahs, and at least one good pinot. Gotta get back there and buy some wines this time. Also hard to find outside the local area - up north here we see very few of the Paso Robles wines.

pinot noirs are so rare here....and those available, if any, I doubt would be that good...

they say that Oregon pinots are excellent - how true is this, pare?

thanks agxo...parang may nabasa akong ganyan while studying IPL ah...hehehe something to do with the TRIPPS agreement ba or WTO? grabe last week ko lang inaral yon nakalimutan ko na.  It applies to wine din pala.  I'll look for that big house red...unang basa ko parang bad-ass red e..:P

i don't think that Bonny Doon is available here - but there are a lot of bad-ass reds out there too :P

pinot noirs are so rare here....and those available, if any, I doubt would be that good...

they say that Oregon pinots are excellent - how true is this, pare?

Oregon pinots are great! Joseph Drouhin is a really good French (Burgundy) producer, and he's set up a winery in Oregon. I think Oregon pinots have great depth and subtlety, but are friendly enough to drink now instead of hoarding them for a while. My next long distance wine trip is going to be to Oregon to meander through the valleys tasting pinots. Maybe later this year (during the fall, maybe) or spring next year. Stay tuned for a report.

Check this out -- http://oregonpinotnoir.com/1___all_wines.html

I've only tried one of these - the Amalie Robert Dijon clone. Yummmmmmmm!

And this -- http://www.winesoforegon.com/

Lots of wineries to explore!!!

Oregon pinots are great! Joseph Drouhin is a really good French (Burgundy) producer, and he's set up a winery in Oregon. I think Oregon pinots have great depth and subtlety, but are friendly enough to drink now instead of hoarding them for a while. My next long distance wine trip is going to be to Oregon to meander through the valleys tasting pinots. Maybe later this year (during the fall, maybe) or spring next year. Stay tuned for a report.

Check this out --  http://oregonpinotnoir.com/1___all_wines.html

I've only tried one of these - the Amalie Robert Dijon clone. Yummmmmmmm!

And this -- http://www.winesoforegon.com/

Lots of wineries to explore!!!

I doubt if there are any Oregon pinots here...yun ngang pinots themselves are scarce around these parts and what we have available here do not, I believe, give justice to the magic of that grape...

I was skulking around this native handicrafts store at the ATC when I saw this duhat wine....

I wonder if any of you has tasted a wine made from duhat?

i was planning to buy one but it costs even more than my everyday-drinking wine and I didn't want to take a chance on it yet....

cheers on all ye Fathers :P

Time to dig out those special wines we keep for special occasions...

Think I'll open my remaining Ravenswood :P

And in keeping with Fathers Day, we had some friends over last night, and had 3 (!) bottles - a 98 Noah's zin (Lodi grapes), a 99 Noahs cab (from Los Chamizal vineyard in Sonoma), and a Napa Cellars zin (unknown vintage and grape source).

All were at least decent. The Napa Cellars was pleasant but clearly made to be consumed young. Okay but that's about it. The 98 Noahs zin was one I was a bit concerned about - it had leaked through the cork just a bit. Hmmmm.....was it corked? Or cooked? Turns out, just a less-than-perfect cork. A bit of oxidation, a dlight tinge of tartness as a result. But after a while, it opened up quite nicely. The 99 Noahs cab was the clear winner of the evening. Rich, plummy, with loads of berries!!! and nice but not overt tannins. Tobacco and smoke on the nose. A hint of apricot (!) on the nice, loooooooong finish. More! More!

I go to pick up the latest incarnation of the Retzlaff wines next weekend. We'll be tasting as we pick up. I'm not planning on driving home afterwards!

I was skulking around this native handicrafts store at the ATC when I saw this duhat wine....

I wonder if any of you has tasted a wine made from duhat?

i was planning to buy one but it costs even more than my everyday-drinking wine and I didn't want to take a chance on it yet....

Happy Father's day to everyone!

more than duhat wine, anyone tasted mango wine? or the strawberry wine from baguio?

i've been drinking much scotch whisky lately... i havent opened a bottle of wine in weeks simply because i have no one to drink it with... dont want to let an opened bottle spoil with this heat

Happy Father's Day to all the Wino Fathers here. Speaking of Ravenswood --- I need to hop over tomorrow to Wine Depot to get myself a bottle.

Oh and one thing I learned over the last 10days is --- do not drink cheap wine. :blink: I had a glass of I-don't-know-what my friend was serving and I swear, it felt like acid burning through my tongue!

more than duhat wine, anyone tasted mango wine?  or the strawberry wine from baguio?

i've been drinking much scotch whisky lately... i havent opened a bottle of wine in weeks simply because i have no one to drink it with... dont want to let an opened bottle spoil with this heat

I've tried a bottle of strawberry wine from Baguio --- hardly wine to the taste. Reminds me of a strawberry spritzer and a Shirley Temple (with lotsa grenadine).

more than duhat wine, anyone tasted mango wine?  or the strawberry wine from baguio?

i've been drinking much scotch whisky lately... i haven't opened a bottle of wine in weeks simply because i have no one to drink it with... dont want to let an opened bottle spoil with this heat

I usually keep an open bottle no more than 4 days. After that, they're just not worth drinking. And some only last 2 days! But there are a couple of tricks for keeping wine longer.

1) transfer the wine to a small bottle that you can fill, and have very little air after you fill it. Totally full with no remaining air is best. If you can't fill up the small bottle consider dropping in some marbles (make sure they're glass marbles, not metal or stone, and make sure they're clean) to take up the remaining volume and get rid of the air. The air is what enables oxidation. Not a problem in an unopened bottle because the little amoutn of air in there gets used up pretty quickly, but a half full bottle has a LOT of oxygen in there.

2) use a nitrogen spray - available here, but I don't know about over there. Seems to work best with white wines.

3) no matter what method you use to seal up the wine, make sure it is airtight. AND put the wine (both white AND red) into the refrigerator. the cold will slow down any bacterial action in the wine (remember wine is a livign thing!) as well as the oxidation from the air in the bottle.

My good wine usually keeps 4 days with at least the keep cold trick. If I use the nitrogen or if I transfer to a small bottle, it lasts up to a week.

I did find some half and quarter bottles made specifically for keeping wine. A bit expensive, but for a good wine I would guess it would be worth it. Have to go back to where I saw it because I was unable to buy them at the time.

Went out to dinner tonight and had 2 glasses of wine - first, a Gloria Ferrer Brut California sparkler (2000). Nice. Gloria Ferrer makes a good bully in the French tradition - IOW, not as sweet as most other California sparklers. Second, a Rancho Zabaco 2002 zin. Nice fruit, loads of black pepper on the finish. Smoke and leather on the nose. Nice red berries. This wine has a few more years of development, maybe 2 more, before it tops out. For a wine designed to drink now, that's really good!

I usually keep an open bottle no more than 4 days. After that, they're just not worth drinking. And some only last 2 days! But there are a couple of tricks for keeping wine longer.

1) transfer the wine to a small bottle that you can fill, and have very little air after you fill it. Totally full with no remaining air is best. If you can't fill up the small bottle consider dropping in some marbles (make sure they're glass marbles, not metal or stone, and make sure they're clean) to take up the remaining volume and get rid of the air. The air is what enables oxidation. Not a problem in an unopened bottle because the little amoutn of air in there gets used up pretty quickly, but a half full bottle has a LOT of oxygen in there.

2) use a nitrogen spray - available here, but I don't know about over there. Seems to work best with white wines.

3) no matter what method you use to seal up the wine, make sure it is airtight. AND put the wine (both white AND red) into the refrigerator. the cold will slow down any bacterial action in the wine (remember wine is a livign thing!) as well as the oxidation from the air in the bottle.

My good wine usually keeps 4 days with at least the keep cold trick. If I use the nitrogen or if I transfer to a small bottle, it lasts up to a week.

I did find some half and quarter bottles made specifically for keeping wine. A bit expensive, but for a good wine I would guess it would be worth it. Have to go back to where I saw it because I was unable to buy them at the time.

thanks for the tip... the marbles got me.. at first glance what do the marbles have to do with the wine... then reading thru they were merely acting as "fillers". the nitrogen gas holds true being an inert gas, i suppose.. I guess it "chokes" all the bacteria and organisms there were not meant to be in the wine before opening. refrigeration holds true even for whiskey... in this temperature we have upto mid 30s celsius that equates to high 90s there, there is no joy sipping whiskey that has been abruptly diluted with melting ice.

am surprised to see lots of infos abt wine here. am not really a wine drinker but my friend owns a wine shop and sometimes i drink a little, tambay ako minsan sa kanila.....am just curious what's the taste difference of wines coming from france, chile, spain, italy, australia, etc?...coz some ppl prefer one country from the other, while some hate wines from the other countries. i noticed some asians prefer wines from france while the europeans, americans prefer australian, chilean n some of them dont like french. but for me, they all taste the same :)

actually, they have lots of cheap wines as well as premium to high-end wines...the cheap wines are table wines mostly from spain n a few chilean wines as well (they're located at market! market!) the cheap wine sells really good (below P200)....i know they're not exactly a good wine but many ppl talaga binabalikan yun...even foreigners! (chika ng mga tindera dun) i guess kanya kanyang taste buds na lang cguro yan.... some customers wud ask w/c is a good wine (kakalito nga sa dami) tapos he wud show them high-end wines,but they wouldn't like the price so step down sympre sa medyo mura...kaloka minsan...wala kc free taste e.

...so far nagustuhan ko e yung Cono Sur oRganic wine, it's a combination of cab. sauv and carmenere. i didnt get a headache here....normally kc when i drink, my face wud go really red n i wud get a headache after...less than half glass lang yun ha. i can't finish half glass of wine. ...saka bilib ako when a person can described the wine he/she drinks coz i duno how to describe them or explain.

am surprised to see lots of infos abt wine here. am not really a wine drinker but my friend owns a wine shop and sometimes i drink a little, tambay ako minsan sa kanila.....am just curious what's the taste difference of wines coming from france, chile, spain, italy, australia, etc?...coz some ppl prefer one country from the other, while some hate wines from the other countries. i noticed some asians prefer wines from france while the europeans, americans prefer australian, chilean n some of them dont like french. but for me, they all taste the same :)

actually, they have lots of cheap wines as well as premium to high-end wines...the cheap wines are table wines mostly from spain n a few chilean wines as well (they're located at market! market!) the cheap wine sells really good (below P200)....i know they're not exactly a good wine but many ppl talaga binabalikan yun...even foreigners! (chika ng mga tindera dun) i guess kanya kanyang taste buds na lang cguro yan.... some customers wud ask w/c is a good wine (kakalito nga sa dami) tapos he wud show them high-end wines,but they wouldn't like the price so step down sympre sa medyo mura...kaloka minsan...wala kc free taste e.

...so far nagustuhan ko e yung Cono Sur oRganic wine, it's a combination of cab. sauv and carmenere. i didnt get a headache here....normally kc when i drink, my face wud go really red n i wud get a headache after...less than half glass lang yun ha. i can't finish half glass of wine. ...saka bilib ako when a person can described the wine he/she drinks coz i duno how to describe them or explain.

As the name of the thread implies, lots of winos here. And some who, like you, cannot drink much if at all, but like to live vicariously. So we exchange nots and try to describe the wines to each other. And talk about how wine is made, how to appreciate it, how to store it, etc. So - welcome to the group and I hope this leads to more and better appreciation of wine for you. Since you can't drink as much as some of us, then perhaps you should look at wines that you can get in splits (half-bottles). Most wines are bottled this way in addition to the normal bottle sizes, but not all are available everywhere.

I wouldn't say that Americans like Australian wine more than wines from other countries. The wine market here (California) is rife with healthy competition - wines from France, Chile, Spain, Italy, Romania, Bulgaria, Australia, New Zealand, Portugal, Germany, Greece, Macedonia, Israel, Lebanon, and of course, wines from various states - California, Washington, Oregon, New York, Texas, Maryland, Virginia, even Illinois and Iowa!! Even a few from India!

Many people judge the wine by its origin - I'd say they're unnecessarily limiting their choices. There are good and bad wines from ALL countries, and price is no clear barometer of quality, although the higher the price band of the wine, the greater the chance that it will be at least decent, if not good or great.

Not familiar with Cono Sur but it sounds suspiciously like a made-up name (does it sound like "connoiseur"?? Hmmmmm...... :unsure: ). Tell us more. Where's it from? What's it like? What flavors do you taste?

Concha y Toro is one of the pioneers of the Chilean wine industry and one of the big guns there. Stands to reason that their other labels would be of reasonable quality.

concha y toro, the pillars of chilean wine industry... tell me, does chile have a long history of wine making... if i can recall they got into this french stronghold just very recently... the influence of chilean wines in the worldwide market is pretty significant... perhaps, it maybe the reason rosthchild is now making wines in chile.