Finally, Bods and I had our initial EB at Magnun last night.  We had great fun talking, of course, about wines and what got us  into appreciating it.

We, well I got to try 2 shiraz/syrah while Bods took 2 glasses of a syrah.

Yellow Tail Shiraz 2004 (Australia) -  Mid to dark carmine color; moderate vanilla to moderately rich caramel scent; taste was sharp and spicy with  mildly strong tannins (maybe attributable to it being young. moderate to moderately strong oak finish (again, a young wine characteristic, i hope).  Lacking follow thru that you would expect from a Shiraz.

Calitera 2000, Syrah (Chile) - Mid to dark carmine color; Blend of berries rich enough to be distinct to the nose  (it created an sense of anticipation); medium body with rich berries (a confirmation!) with a tinge of oak at the end (just enough to be distinct); moderate to the palate.  Age does care for wines.

The essence of the evening, was the great fun we both had.  Looking forward to the next activity!!!

pare - finally, after several botched attempts :P

nice to see you, pare...really nice to soak in the moment with a fellow vineaste...

your tasting notes are quite impressive - I couldn't have done it better hehehe....

So do we swing to Churchill's next time?

Rifling through Magnum's winelist, masi and I nearly dropped off our seats when we saw the price per bottle of two California wines. Well, they are what is labelled in the wine world as boutique wines, but then again - P164,000 for a 1997 Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon? What the f**k!!! And then what's that, pareng masi - P149,000 for a Harlan Estate? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Wow!

That's my wine money for a year - A single bottle of Screaming Eagle is equivalent to me drinking a P500 wine everyday for a year! :boo:

drat. i'm really sorry i missed it. sounds like you both had fun.

next time, promise. i'll show up.

oh. i was at trio earlier. i tried their house red and then a white i forget the name of. the house red isn't too shabby. but it's too safe as well. the white was not too good. it was too sweet.. almost like a zinfandel. will try to remember the name.

Rifling through Magnum's winelist, masi and I nearly dropped off our seats when we saw the price per bottle of two California wines. Well, they are what is labelled in the wine world as boutique wines, but then again - P164,000 for a 1997 Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon? What the f**k!!! And then what's that, pareng masi - P149,000 for a Harlan Estate? :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Wow!

That's my wine money for a year - A single bottle of Screaming Eagle is equivalent to me drinking a P500 wine everyday for a year! :boo:

Even if I would win the lottery... I wouldn't be able to drink a wine as pricey... well unless my name is Bill Gates or Donald Trump maybe... And, I thought that a bottle of Petrus was really too much, it made it sound like a grocery wine.

pare - finally, after several botched attempts  :P

nice to see you, pare...really nice to soak in the moment with a fellow vineaste...

your tasting notes are quite impressive - I couldn't have done it better hehehe....

So do we swing to Churchill's next time?

SURE!!! Just set it up and I will make myself available. This time with stogies to enjoy our wines...

drat. i'm really sorry i missed it. sounds like you both had fun.

next time, promise. i'll show up.

oh. i was at trio earlier. i tried their house red and then a white i forget the name of. the house red isn't too shabby. but it's too safe as well. the white was not too good. it was too sweet.. almost like a zinfandel. will try to remember the name.

we're counting on you!!! :D

bods!!! again i missed another eb, sayang, magnum is owned by bacchus right? or anthonys? but masi mentioned Caliterra from Chile, perhaps its owned by Anthonys.

tsismis... si tita trillo put up another wine company when she separated with her husband. then she is bringing in Caliterra & other Chilean wines from the family of Viña Errazuriz & Robert Mondavi. Caliterra is good & i like the merlot-cab sauv caliterra - "la calidad de la tierra".

bods!!! again i missed another eb, sayang, magnum is owned by bacchus right? or anthonys? but masi mentioned Caliterra from Chile, perhaps its owned by Anthonys.

tsismis... si tita trillo put up another wine company when she separated with her husband. then she is bringing in Caliterra & other Chilean wines from the family of Viña Errazuriz & Robert Mondavi. Caliterra is good & i like the merlot-cab sauv caliterra - "la calidad de la tierra".

nasaan ka ba, pare? :P

basta timbrehan mo lang kami pag nandito ka - we'll set up an impromptu EB just for you hehehe...

If I'm not mistaken, Magnum is owned by Anthony's....

I didn't know Tita Trillo is now separated :P

Well, if she's put up another wine company, that's good - the more the merrier :P

Errazuriz ha? That should be good...and yeah the Caliterra we had was quite passable - it was the syrah we had....

Pare, would you know if Catena is distributed here? It's an Argentine wine...

magnum was already sold by the trillos... this is the last i heard.. i think the trillo's sold all their restaurant business and concentrate on import and distribution.

it really doesnt matter who owns it as long has they have wines we can taste.

magnum was already sold by the trillos... this is the last i heard..  i think the trillo's sold all their restaurant business and concentrate on import and distribution.

it really doesnt matter who owns it as long has they have wines we can taste.

you're right about that, pare...

The Trillo's not owning Magnum should be good - at least they should now get wines from other distributors....that's the problem with wine distributors owning their own restos - the only wines they offer usually are their own wines :P

been reading about these old guys from Sardinia...good ole mountain wine is part of their diet...

seems like some scientist have discovered that grapes grown from high-altitude vineyards have higher polyphenols - this is the stuff in grape skins that give wines their big anti-oxidant whomp...

because of the increased UV content in sunlight in mountainous regions, grapes grown there have adapted by developing thicker skins - thereby developing higher concentrations of polyphenols....

Rifling through Magnum's winelist, masi and I nearly dropped off our seats when we saw the price per bottle of two California wines. Well, they are what is labelled in the wine world as boutique wines, but then again - P164,000 for a 1997 Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon? What the f**k!!! And then what's that, pareng masi - P149,000 for a Harlan Estate? :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Wow!

Hahahaha! So you finally got some Screaming Eagle and Harlan Estates there! Those are not bad prices at all! I've seen them up to $5,000 here. At the Napa Valley Auction a few years back, a case went for over $70,000! Go looking for a Helen Turley or a Kathryn Kennedy as well. Not as expensive, and for my money, just a good, making them a better deal.

'97 was a great year for Napa Valley cabs, but '99 is supposedly the best of the decades. I prefer the '95s, but that's just me, I guess. '95 was also a great year for Napa Valley zins. So for Napa Valley cabs - look for (in descending order, my rankings) - '95, '99, '97/'93, '92, '96''91, '94/'90. I'd rank the '00s right up there with the '99s. Skip the '98s - with very few exceptions that was not a great year. Passable, but why drink a '98 when a '97 will do?

Been off the boards for a while - too much work, not enough time.

Hi Bods! Good to see that wine EB finally came off! Sounds like you had a good time! Too bad I missed it, but maybe next time I'm there. I'll be in Taiwan next week, but no time to head over to Manila this time around. And I'm conserving cash - we're starting a kitchen remodel very, very soon and that's going to run me over $50,000 by the time I'm done!

I did start the buying for that remodel, though, with something very appropriate - a TransTherm wine storage cabinet! Holds 208 bottles - almost enough to hold my not-so-cheap wine. The cheap swill remains in cases in my spare bedroom closet, getting warmer by the day. ;( But the good stuff will finally be resting in a nice, cool, properly humidified "cave". It gets delivered tomorrow, I hope!

I got my latest Neibaum-Coppola wine club shipment a couple of weeks back, and have opened a 2001 zin and a 2002 pinot noir (Director's Reserve). Both very, very nice! Definitely keepers. Gotta go buy a few more of those.

Hahahaha! So you finally got some Screaming Eagle and Harlan Estates there! Those are not bad prices at all! I've seen them up to $5,000 here. At the Napa Valley Auction a few years back, a case went for over $70,000! Go looking for a Helen Turley or a Kathryn Kennedy as well. Not as expensive, and for my money, just a good, making them a better deal.

'97 was a great year for Napa Valley cabs, but '99 is supposedly the best of the decades. I prefer the '95s, but that's just me, I guess. '95 was also a great year for Napa Valley zins. So for Napa Valley cabs - look for (in descending order, my rankings) - '95, '99, '97/'93, '92, '96''91, '94/'90. I'd rank the '00s right up there with the '99s. Skip the '98s - with very few exceptions that was not a great year. Passable, but why drink a '98 when a '97 will do?

Been off the boards for a while - too much work, not enough time.

Hi Bods! Good to see that wine EB finally came off! Sounds like you had a good time! Too bad I missed it, but maybe next time I'm there. I'll be in Taiwan next week, but no time to head over to Manila this time around. And I'm conserving cash - we're starting a kitchen remodel very, very soon and that's going to run me over $50,000 by the time I'm done!

I did start the buying for that remodel, though, with something very appropriate - a TransTherm wine storage cabinet! Holds 208 bottles - almost enough to hold my not-so-cheap wine. The cheap swill remains in cases in my spare bedroom closet, getting warmer by the day. ;( But the good stuff will finally be resting in a nice, cool, properly humidified "cave". It gets delivered tomorrow, I hope!

I got my latest Neibaum-Coppola wine club shipment a couple of weeks back, and have opened a 2001 zin and a 2002 pinot noir (Director's Reserve). Both very, very nice! Definitely keepers. Gotta go buy a few more of those.

pare, welcome back!

yeah that's how I guessed it - auction prices have driven the retail prices of these wines skyhigh...

I don't have any idea who distributes Screaming Eagle and Harlan Estate here ...could be Anthony's themselves....I know Bacchus has Stag's Leap and Rutherford among other wines....

If 99 is supposed to be better than the 97's, imagine how much a 99 Screaming Eagle will cost :blink:

pare the EB would have been better if you were around. As it was, it was a great and auspicious start.

Just as I thought - the first thing you would think of in a kitchen remodel is a wine cooler :P

pare, welcome back!

yeah that's how I guessed it - auction prices have driven the retail prices of these wines skyhigh...

I don't have any idea who distributes Screaming Eagle and Harlan Estate here ...could be Anthony's themselves....I know Bacchus has Stag's Leap and Rutherford among other wines....

If 99 is supposed to be better than the 97's, imagine how much a 99 Screaming Eagle will cost :blink:

pare the EB would have been better if you were around. As it was, it was a great and auspicious start.

Just as I thought - the first thing you would think of in a kitchen remodel is a wine cooler :P

I'm trying to get out that way later in the year, but I think I'll wait until after typhoon season has passed, since I can't make it this time around. So that makes it - what? October/November?

Hey - that's not just any wine cooler! It both cools AND heats, not that heating will be necessary where it will be placed. AND it manages humidity as well. Supposedly one of the best. We'll see. I left work early since I am getting on a plane just after midnight tonight and wanted to do some stuff here before heading out - like getting the wine into the cooler, which I will get to as soon as I finish backing up my laptop and setting up the Web access for my work email.

Stags Leap is really good, as is Rutherford, although I like Chimney Rock over the Rutherford. Too many wineries, too many good wines, not enough time......

I'm trying to get out that way later in the year, but I think I'll wait until after typhoon season has passed, since I can't make it this time around. So that makes it - what? October/November?

Hey - that's not just any wine cooler! It both cools AND heats, not that heating will be necessary where it will be placed. AND it manages humidity as well. Supposedly one of the best. We'll see. I left work early since I am getting on a plane just after midnight tonight and wanted to do some stuff here before heading out - like getting the wine into the cooler, which I will get to as soon as I finish backing up my laptop and setting up the Web access for my work email.

Stags Leap is really good, as is Rutherford, although I like Chimney Rock over the Rutherford. Too many wineries, too many good wines, not enough time......

Stag's Leap is cool, but it's way over my budget :P

there's still some typhoon in Nov I think..best bet is early December..

been silently reading the posts here..grabe! i admire you guys. i just cant take wine like you do..i have allergies with alcohol. how i'd wish i can enjoy it the way you do.

tito masi - how can i join you in the next eb...eh been reading the post i cant even relate :( i might be out of place if i join...whatchatink?

for me, you're so much welcome to join the next gig :)

been silently reading the posts here..grabe! i admire you guys. i just cant take wine like you do..i have allergies with alcohol. how i'd wish i can enjoy it the way you do.

tito masi - how can i join you in the next eb...eh been reading the post i cant even relate :( i might be out of place if i join...whatchatink?

well, as bods have said you are always welcome to join our activities.... you may even want to pay for what we drink.. :) .... just kidding.

i am sure we would graciously accept the pleasure of your company :upside:

well, as bods have said you are always welcome to join our activities.... you may even want to pay for what we drink.. :) .... just kidding.

i am sure we would graciously accept the pleasure of your company :upside:

as what happened during the first EB, our get-together is not in any way intimidating, as in puro technical talk...of course not - we talk about anything and everything under the sun - wine is just the vehicle to get us talking :P

hey, I was able to buy a Gran Trillo - pare, ok pala siya - real yummy for THAT price!

Dalawa na ngayon ang choices ko for everyday drinking..

as what happened during the first EB, our get-together is not in any way intimidating, as in puro technical talk...of course not - we talk about anything and everything under the sun - wine is just the vehicle to get us talking :P

hey, I was able to buy a Gran Trillo - pare, ok pala siya - real yummy for THAT price!

Dalawa na ngayon ang choices ko for everyday drinking..

told you so... and which reminds me ... i must get a couple of those myself ...