i have a bottle of blue nun but haven't opened it yet...

is it good? serve chilled right?

Yes, Blue Nun is an interesting German wine because of the very recent evolution it underwent. It is really quite an old brand; dating back to 1927. At that time it was a wine that was a bit on the sweet side. Well, most Rhine Valley wines (an Blue Nun grapes are right along the Rhine River) tend to be sweet mainly due to the use of Müller-Thurgau grapes.

Blue Nun is generally a Liebfraumilch (translation, something like "mother's loving milk" -- correct me if I am wrong please) which is a generic term for Rhine Valley wines. Don't be looking for Liebfraumilch if you are in Germany though, they would not know what you are on about. The term is mainly used for exported German wine.

Recently, perhaps due to changing tastes, and more likely because of a change in ownership of the Blue Nun winery, their flagship white wine underwent a change in character when the new owners decided to make their product a bit different by using less of the Müller-Thurgau grapes by adding a 30% blend of the much drier Riesling.

The result is that it now enjoys a higher classification in the firmament of German wines from the pedestrial Liebfraulimch to a QbA or Qualitätswein bestimmter Anbaugebiete which is reserved for wines in which riper grapes are used and is just off the more premium QmP or Qualitätswein mit Prädikat classification. There 6 further grades within the QmP classification but all are hallmarked by the use of almost all German grapes, with the ripeness, and type of grape controlled and declared in the label.

One might ask what the difference might be since the classification difference can be sometimes related to which side of the rhine the grapes are grown. My late friend and wine tutor, the Lord Anthony Moynihan (knwon locally by his 'nom de guerre' "Lucullus" and as being the father of actress maritoni Fernandez) once quipped to me in a response to the same question: well, there is very little that separates front part of a women to her back part--but the smell is different.

Perhaps our next wine EB should have a geographic theme...

How about a pre- or post-election EB? German wine theme? Your nominations please, gentlemen. If you want German, then I shall try to make arrangements at a suitable German location like the German Club.

Storm, Idunno, Bods...

Ho nga no! Ibig sabihin, we've had a secret life for the same length of time...

pare whatever secret lives you spent here, you've all gone back to this wine section.

In the vernacular, sa pagkahaba-haba man daw ng prusisyon, sa wine cellar din ang tuloy ooopss hehehe...

sige pare, that German night sounds good. I would try to bring a Veltliner....

Boomouse, that was an excellent treatise on German wines. It is very hard to find German Rieslings here in the Philippines. The only distributor/retailer that has an extensive selection might be BRUMMS Quality Wines.

http://www.brumms.com.ph/wine_selection.asp

For entry-level everyday drinking wines, I recommend the St. Urbans Hof Riesling Qba (Php 300).

Edited by idunno
pare whatever secret lives you spent here, you've all gone back to this wine section.

In the vernacular, sa pagkahaba-haba man daw ng prusisyon, sa wine cellar din ang tuloy ooopss hehehe...

Isn't a Veltliner an Austrian wine? All the ones I've had here have been Austrian......

Perhaps our next wine EB should have a geographic theme...

How about a pre- or post-election EB? German wine theme? Your nominations please, gentlemen. If you want German, then I shall try to make arrangements at a suitable German location like the German Club.

Storm, Idunno, Bods...

I'm leaving for LA on thursday night (tentatively). I don't have my passport yet, will be delivered (daw) on that day.

Ho nga no! Ibig sabihin, we've had a secret life for the same length of time...

Not really. Nalaman agad ni misis yung MTC when I attended my first EB.

Hehehe. Kung wednesday baka pwede pa ako.

I'm leaving for LA on thursday night (tentatively). I don't have my passport yet, will be delivered (daw) on that day.

Not really. Nalaman agad ni misis yung MTC when I attended my first EB.

Hehehe. Kung wednesday baka pwede pa ako.

LA Thursday? I presume your visa is in a old passport...

I don't think I will be available first Wednesday after elections. Wala pa naman na schedule but I'm keeping that as option time. Ang feeling ko taxic ako for that week. Lalo na pagnagka 'problem'.

Pagbalik mo na lang. Baka meron ka pa ma bitbit na makataktakam na bote. Hehehe

If Wed is your least toxic day, we can build up to his as a regular sked. Other thread posters: comments please. Any reco on venues? Ako itataya ko na ang Balducci, or if you want someplace on he othe side of EDSA, Cafe Maestro along Reposo street. Or kung type ninyo medyo formal, L'Opera at The Fort. It does not have to be a rsto though. Okay din ako sa 'overlooking' Antipolo somewhere.

Okay! See you guys again in June. I'll meet up with Agxo most probably on the 23rd or 24th.

Rubicon Estates, here we come!! That and J. And Retzlaff. And Armida. Maybe the still-unnamed new Coppola winery in Healdsburg. Wood Family maybe. Or Fenestra. Or Merryvale. or.... or...... too many to choose from!!! At any rate, it will be fun and instructive.

I opened a bottle of Blackstone Pinot Noir 2005 Monterey County.

Mid-crimson, purple visuals.

Nose was mild with peppery spice, vanilla. Bountiful with dark cherry, strawberries and black tea.

Mouth was light but elegantly balanced.

Finish was medium to long with the same balanced elegance.

Great experience!!!

You can get it at Wine Depot - moderately priced!

BTW, I keep all my wines in the ref and thaw it out a few minutes before uncorking it. Agxo suggested this to me. It keeps the wines from cooking and flooding the cork due to our searing daytime temperature.

I opened a bottle of Blackstone Pinot Noir 2005 Monterey County.

Mid-crimson, purple visuals.

Nose was mild with peppery spice, vanilla. Bountiful with dark cherry, strawberries and black tea.

Mouth was light but elegantly balanced.

Finish was medium to long with the same balanced elegance.

Great experience!!!

You can get it at Wine Depot - moderately priced!

BTW, I keep all my wines in the ref and thaw it out a few minutes before uncorking it. Agxo suggested this to me. It keeps the wines from cooking and flooding the cork due to our searing daytime temperature.

Blackstone wines are generally good. The 2005 Pinot is a bit young - if you liked it, go ack and buy some more to open in 2-3 years.

I keep ALL opened wines in the ref after they're opened, even my reds. I simply give them time to come up to temp before drinking - typically about 15 minutes or so. Between the cork, lying on its side, and the cooler temps, I find it keeps the wine longer so I can keep an opened bottle 4-6 days in the ref as opposed to no more than 3 days outside. The cooler temps drastically slow down any bacterial action that's occuring, helping keep the wine from changing much while it's in the ref.

Blackstone wines are generally good. The 2005 Pinot is a bit young - if you liked it, go ack and buy some more to open in 2-3 years.

I keep ALL opened wines in the ref after they're opened, even my reds. I simply give them time to come up to temp before drinking - typically about 15 minutes or so. Between the cork, lying on its side, and the cooler temps, I find it keeps the wine longer so I can keep an opened bottle 4-6 days in the ref as opposed to no more than 3 days outside. The cooler temps drastically slow down any bacterial action that's occuring, helping keep the wine from changing much while it's in the ref.

Have you tried a "Vacu-vin"? Its a special rubber cork that comes with a vacuum pump. The cork has a slit that is designed to seal shut when you pump enough air out of the bottle and create a vacuum. You pinch the cork to let air in when you want to pour. I find that it keeps wine drinkable long enough that you can uncork a bottle and be confident that it won't go south on you even if you just drank a glass or two.

With more bucks, you can now get a portable 'cruover'. Which allows you to replace the air inside an opened wine bottle with nitrogen ostensibly to prevent any oxidation. I have seen a commercial version in a Hong Kong French bistro, La Rose Noire where they sell grand crus by the glass. Its the only place in Hong Kong where you can sample a Haut-Brion, Margaux, Sauternes, and Gevrey-Chambertin all of outstanding vintage in one night and not have to buy a bottle.

Isn't a Veltliner an Austrian wine? All the ones I've had here have been Austrian......

my apologies, pare.

yes it is indeed an Austrian wine - actually it is a Gruner- Veltliner, which I adore because it could be the only wine which harmonizes beautifully with vegetables and crustaceans, which are two of my favorite food groups :rolleyes:

I liked Blackstone Zinfandel but I also liked Ravenswood Zinfandel. I forgot which one is better...

there's a rule of thumb concocted by Jay McInerney, which I believe is tongue-in-cheek, that if a zin starts with an 'R' then it must be good. Think Ravenswood, Ridge, Rabbit Ridge, Renswood, etc... :upside:

I attended the Wine Depot Alabang Villa Maria wine tasting event. They poured 4 of the Private Bin line and 1 from the Cellar Selection. Villa Maria is a New Zealang winery. I forgot to take note of the vintages.

Villa Maria Private Bin Riesling (P850) - An average Riesling with refreshing citrus and lime flavors. Below par if you compare it to German Rieslings.

Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc (P850) - Nice bouquet. Nothing spectacular. I will pick Dog Point over this (even if paying for 200 pesos more).

Villa Maria Private Bin Chardonnay (P850) - This is a good flavorful Chardonnay. Buttery. I don't know if this was oaked but the oak is unnoticeable. Excellent value for money!

Villa Maria Private Bin Cabernet Merlot (P850) - Very very soft and fruit forward. Not my type of wine but this would work with some people.

Villa Maria Cellar Selection Sauvignon Blanc (P1670) - This is a different story. Intense and concentrated. Honeyed aromas then flavorful in the mouth. Nice and long finish. This is God's nectar. For this amount of money though, I'd rather spend it on an excellent Cabernet. That's just me though...

Edited by idunno
Villa Maria Cellar Selection Sauvignon Blanc (P1670) - This is a different story. Intense and concentrated. Honeyed aromas then flavorful in the mouth. Nice and long finish. This is God's nectar. For this amount of money though, I'd rather spend it on an excellent Cabernet. That's just me though...

Or a young Barolo...

with regard to wines i used to drink a lot of them...my favorites include: butterfly ridge (cabernet-merlot, merlot), and mouton cadet bourdeux by the house of baron philippe de rotschild (it is quite affordable at P1,500 per bottle -- money's worth).

south african wines are also good there is a particularly good brand sold at santi's which is quite affordable to say the least and the taste is quite good...

with regard to wines i used to drink a lot of them...my favorites include: butterfly ridge (cabernet-merlot, merlot), and mouton cadet bourdeux by the house of baron philippe de rotschild (it is quite affordable at P1,500 per bottle -- money's worth).

south african wines are also good there is a particularly good brand sold at santi's which is quite affordable to say the least and the taste is quite good...

There's lots of excellent wines under P1,500. It's fun to drink across a wide variety and discover the gems among them.

A couple of my favorites under P1,500:

- Catena Malbec

- Dutschke Willow Bend Merlot Shiraz Cabernet

- Pago Florentino

- Kaesler Stonehorse Shiraz

- Kilikanoon Killermans Run Cabernet Sauvignon

- Summerland Santa Barbara Pinot Noir

- Torbreck Woodcutter's Shiraz

- Vina Cobos "El Felino" Malbec

- and more!

These wine that I listed are all available locally.