hi..just passing by to say hi to everyone. :)

with regards to hotels, I suggest you call them directly. the publish tariff rates are more expensive. Should you intend to stay at Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza in Ortigas, let me know. Will try to get special rate for you. :) no promises..will try. ;) Will try to get a special rate too with Westin Phil Plaza if you want. :) I have friends kasi there...

Where's the Westin? The Crowne Plaza would be okay - could you check with them? But I will call both the Shangrila and the Dusit today as well. Thanks for your help!!

Storm and Mrs. Storm hosted a great and lovely evening!  It was a feast for the senses!!!! A wealth of art greeted us as we entered their home (an architectural work of art, too) -- works of Masters like Angel Cacnio, Joya, Sanso, Lamaroza, Parial, including his own.

Food flooded the table, Japanese garden salad which was made perfect by reknowned Japanese cuisine master, Bods, who masterfully blended the Japanese mayo with shrimp roe ala Iron Chef!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:  Sauteed young corn in butter and basil, a spiralli and penne pasta and squid balls, schubligs and other assortment which prepared our pallets for the great wine we were having.

Stone Cellars by Beringer Merlot 2000

Mid ruby color with moderate cherry and dark berries on the nose.  Front ended flavors of moderate complexity.  Short finish with balance tannins.  A lovely drink!

Dunnewood Vineyards 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon Mendocino County

Mid to dark purple, a rich nose of caramel, berries and oak.  Complex flavors revealed in the nose and hints of chocolate.  Good body with a great finish.

Storm and Mrs. Storm thank you for allowing us to "invade" your home.  Bods, pare ko, your savviness does not begin and end with your knowledge in wines but your presence animates a great evening among friends.  Liberty and I truly had a great time!!!!

that was a real great evening last night, and I daresay that for once, the ambience totally eclipsed the wines we had - and this is saying much because the Stone Cellar and the Dunnewood were really one heck of a drink! I was in total awe of the surroundings and walking among great art was the nearest thing to walking on clouds....

pareng Storm and to the missus, thank you so much for the graciousness you showed us in hosting the WEB and allowing us to be surrounded by magnificent art - the food was fantastic!

pareng masi and liberty - I totally enjoy your company! And it has come to a point where, right now, I am learning more from you and I now realize that art appreciation is worlds beyond wine appreciation :P

To the two gracious couples - thank you so much!

cheers and have a happy weekend!

We had a great time too. I'm beginning to learn the art of wine tasting. Thanks to you guys.

We attended the exhibit of SYM at the Art center in Megamall and Ivi-Avellana-Cosio at Avellana Art Gallery last saturday. I was able to "guess" correctly the red wine served at SYM's exhibit (it was a 2003 cab which the waiter confirmed) and made quite an impression to some of the artists present (it's not as good as the Dunnewood though). Cafe Adriatico was the caterer. Then it was a white night at Avellana's where literally bumaha ng Libertas. It's an easy to drink wine with a hint of lime or lemon.

hi..just passing by to say hi to everyone. :)

with regards to hotels, I suggest you call them directly. the publish tariff rates are more expensive. Should you intend to stay at Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza in Ortigas, let me know. Will try to get special rate for you. :) no promises..will try. ;) Will try to get a special rate too with Westin Phil Plaza if you want. :) I have friends kasi there...

Thanks, all! I got a room at the Crowne Plaza for Friday night - used my Priority Club points to do that.

And got a room at the Peninsula for Sunday and Mondy nights. I was surprised that they gvae me the local rate but I guess they want my business. Tried to call the Shangrila but couldn't get through for some reason. :blink:

Westin's a bit too far out of the way, I think. I'd rather be right around Makati.

Bods, Masi, Lips - how about we set Friday night for our little EB? Open to all who want to come, of course. HBC - can you make it? You'll have to pick the place and tell me just where it is so I can find it.

We had a great time too. I'm beginning to learn the art of wine tasting. Thanks to you guys.

We attended the exhibit of SYM at the Art center in Megamall and Ivi-Avellana-Cosio at Avellana Art Gallery last saturday. I was able to "guess" correctly the red wine served at SYM's exhibit (it was a 2003 cab which the waiter confirmed) and made quite an impression to some of the artists present (it's not as good as the Dunnewood though). Cafe Adriatico was the caterer. Then it was a white night at Avellana's where literally bumaha ng Libertas. It's an easy to drink wine with a hint of lime or lemon.

nawala yung post ko :cry:

as I was saying I have to attend art exhibits in order to soak up more wine, I mean art hehehe

There are a lot of exhibits opening - there's one featuring a lot of artists like Joya, including your dad, and there's also one featuring Sanso...any recommendations?

Thanks, all! I got a room at the Crowne Plaza for Friday night - used my Priority Club points to do that.

And got a room at the Peninsula for Sunday and Mondy nights. I was surprised that they gvae me the local rate but I guess they want my business. Tried to call the Shangrila but couldn't get through for some reason. :blink:

Westin's a bit too far out of the way, I think. I'd rather be right around Makati.

Bods, Masi, Lips - how about we set Friday night for our little EB? Open to all who want to come, of course. HBC - can you make it? You'll have to pick the place and tell me just where it is so I can find it.

hi agxo3. i forgot to tell you..you might want to check Oakwood Premier Ayala next time. :) It is the hotel within glorietta. the rooms are nice and you have your own sala, dining area and kitchen. if i am not mistaken, the cost is just the same or close with manila pen or shangri-la. Shangri-la ata is around US$159++ anyway, here is the website:

http://www.oakwood.com/action/oakwood/prof...&furnished=true .

thanks for the invitation Agxo3, but I think I have to decline. I don't know much about wines...i am just a silent follower of these thread. As much as I want to drink..i just cant coz I have allergies with alcohol... :thumbsdownsmiley: so..baka ma-bore lang kayo sa akin. :) but i really appreciate the invitation.

oopsss sorry OT!

hi agxo3. i forgot to tell you..you might want to check Oakwood Premier Ayala next time. :) It is the hotel within glorietta. the rooms are nice and you have your own sala, dining area and kitchen. if i am not mistaken, the cost is just the same or close with manila pen or shangri-la. Shangri-la ata is around US$159++ anyway, here is the website:

http://www.oakwood.com/action/oakwood/prof...&furnished=true .

thanks for the invitation Agxo3, but I think I have to decline. I don't know much about wines...i am just a silent follower of these thread. As much as I want to drink..i just cant coz I have allergies with alcohol... :thumbsdownsmiley: so..baka ma-bore lang kayo sa akin. :) but i really appreciate the invitation.

oopsss sorry OT!

Friday it is!! Dec. 2. Bods, Masi, I will let you pick the place. Just let me know where so I don't get too lost. HBC - join us anyway. You can chug them Cokes while Bods waxes poetic about the wines.

I just received two "Edizione Pennino"s - 2002 - from Neibaum-Coppola. Really nice zins, at least historically. I haven't tated the 2002 yet. The Pennino is classified as an "organic" wine - no pesticides, sustainable farming methods, no additives except for yeats in the winemaking process....... And a 2003 Cab Franc which I think is a bit too young to drink right now. Another year, maybe.

Still working out my pre-Manila schedule. that will decide which wine I bring. I don't want t lug a Rubicon around from Taipei to HK to China and back.

See you all on Dec. 2! Bods, Masi, please PM me the meeting details.

as I was saying I have to attend art exhibits in order to soak up more wine, I mean art hehehe

There are a lot of exhibits opening - there's one featuring a lot of artists like Joya, including your dad, and there's also one featuring Sanso...any recommendations?

That's a great development Pareng Bods... Truly you are man with an appreciation for the finer points!!!

I started my appreciation for art by walking to galleries and simply looked around. Sometimes I would bump into an artist and he/she would explain the work. Honestly, one could be an aficionado without collecting.

But as Storm has pointed, art appreciation go hand-in-hand with a good wine!!! Or sometimes good wine go with good company with artworks in the midst.

Edited by masi

When is the Sanso exhibit? Pare text me para kung may time ako, samahan kita. Check mo rin galleries sa LRI bldg along Reposo in Makati. Take some notes of the paintings you like. Feel free to ask the gallery owner of the artist's background.

Most exhibit openings serve wines but not necessarily good wines, a great majority serve inexpensive wines like Sol de España, Gran Trillo, Don Solis, Novellino and even wines in boxes :sick:

When is the Sanso exhibit? Pare text me para kung may time ako, samahan kita. Check mo rin galleries sa LRI bldg along Reposo in Makati. Take some notes of the paintings you like. Feel free to ask the gallery owner of the artist's background.

Most exhibit openings serve wines but not necessarily good wines, a great majority serve inexpensive wines like Sol de España, Gran Trillo, Don Solis, Novellino and even wines in boxes :sick:

The Sanso exhibit starts Nov 26 at the Galerie Joaquin, The Podium...

Thanks for the advise, pare. I would surely do that whenever I go to a gallery - pero dun sa Alabang sa gallery I was telling you about, napagkamalan pa akong artist din :P :cool:

I'll check out the Reposo galleries when I'm in the area, thanks, pare...

That's a great development Pareng Bods... Truly you are man with an appreciation for the finer points!!!

I started my appreciation for art by walking to galleries and simply looked around.  Sometimes I would bump into an artist and he/she would explain the work.  Honestly, one could be an aficionado without collecting.

But as Storm has pointed, art appreciation go hand-in-hand with a good wine!!!  Or sometimes good wine go with good company with artworks in the midst.

Well if there's anybody to thank for whatever awareness I have now for these things it could only be you, the missus and the storm couple - and it's all good :thumbsupsmiley:

Spent Sunday evening with former co-workers. Food was great and the wines just poured. It was a BYOB affair and we had a great time sampling different wines.

Banrock Station White Shiraz 2005 and 2003 - The 2005 was everything strawberry lacking the fruit itself. Color was a vibrant strwberry pink; nose was a lively strawberry which was easy and light on the palate. Finish was chewy. The 2003, on the other hand was pretty much a pomelo from color to finish.

Vinas de las Grazas 2003 Sauvignon Blanc - Mid-golden colors with a moderate nose of apples and citrus. Vibrant, chewy body. Smooth and easy finish.

Penfolds Bin 407 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon - Deep purple color. complex bouquet licorice, dark berries, and peppery cedar, which overhelms the glass (we were using shallow red wine stemware all throughout). Body was full of flavors with a well balance smooth finish. Tannins were hardly felt.

Guys, just received a bottle of wine as a gift, and it's a (and I'm just typing what I see on the label) "Rufus Stone...McLaren Vale....South Australia....2002 Shiraz"

....uuuuuh just wondering if the experts have had a sip of this one...just curious.

There is only one way to know if it's good or very good, let's drink it!!!! (just kidding!)

A 2002 Shiraz should be right for drinking now or until next year. I wonder what our Austrailan wine guru, Bods, have to say about the wine.

Have a good day!

Check out the new deal on the Hardy's Varietal Series - a 1-liter bottle for the price of a regular 750ml bottle :P The wine is not the connoisseur type, by the way, but it's good for the buck, everyday-drinking wine....plus you get that extra 250ml - not bad!

Hey Bods! Had that 1 liter Hardy's VR last week - we had the Merlot. It's nothing spectacular, but it's also not bad. As Masi would say, the Merlot is a difficult grape to work with, and this bottle's enjoyable. As you said, it's good for everyday drinking. It's economical too! There were 8 of us drinking the wine, and two bottles was good enough to make everyone happy.

There is only one way to know if it's good or very good, let's drink it!!!!  (just kidding!)

A 2002 Shiraz should be right for drinking now or until next year.  I wonder what our Austrailan wine guru, Bods, have to say about the wine.

Have a good day!

No, actually you got it right Masi. I was intending to bring that along to the EB in Storm's place 2 Fridays ago until I got side tracked and was unable to show up. I'll bring it for the next EB opportunity. Salud!

There is only one way to know if it's good or very good, let's drink it!!!!  (just kidding!)

A 2002 Shiraz should be right for drinking now or until next year.  I wonder what our Austrailan wine guru, Bods, have to say about the wine.

Have a good day!

well McLaren Vale is part of South Australia and therefore famous for rich reds, particularly shiraz and grenache. Notable wineries there are Rosemount, Clarendon Hills (!), Andrew Garrett, Chapel Hill, Coriole, d'Arenberg (now this winery has a wine called Dead Man's Arm, would you believe :P ), Haselgrove, Wirra Wirra, Geoff Merrill, Tatachilla. Of these, I think only Rosemount and Haselgrove is available here, so pareng sliderule's wine should be some kind of a rarity - of course, it ceases to be a rarity once we get to drink it :D

that 2002 should be ripe for drinking now...

wow!

that was one heck of a wine marathon last night :P grabe yun ah - at saka ngayon lang ako nakaranas magpalipat-lipat ng venue to drink wine hehehe.....

ok...here goes: one NZ sauvignon blanc and one Aussie dry verdelho plus tons of sushi at a resto, an Aussie shiraz at the next venue, then the main event and showstopper California cab and a port at the last venue...

pareng storm and the missus - thanks a lot for the hospitality you showed for the lightning and impromptu WEB at your residence-cum-art gallery again..

pareng butch and ms. liberty - you never really get tired of us and those verrrrry verrrry late nights - thank you so much!!!!

pareng agxo - finally THE MAN! Pare words would never suffice to describe how we felt to have finally met you and to think that you barely had a rest since touching down here....thanks so much for the Niebaum-Coppola - it was all and more than we expected it - finally tasted the divine nectarine which we only read before from your posts. Thanks a lot, pare - I hope we see each other again soon and have a very nice trip!

to the divine Ms. L - so sorry we had to drag you out of bed but despite all the wines and food we had, the marathon would not have been complete without your presence which we miss so much...thanks a lot and we hope the winos would see you more often...

the wine reviews I leave to the experts agxo and masi because all I can say is that I enjoyed all of them because they are all first-rate and truly magnificent!

cheers!

Have a happy weekend all!

Edited by bods1000
Uh-oh!  Prawns and alcohol don't mix well!  Just like ika, tako, kani won't.  At any rate, if you are serving the prawns, who are we to refuse! :goatee:  That wouldn't be bad for that "white night" we been planning.

The blend of the Shiraz-Cabernet would temper those tannins.  Honestly, after abhoring tannins in the early goings, I now look for them.  This is the reason, I like Merlot!

Pwes wag tayo mag wine! :lol: Tubig na lang. :upside:

Honestly I don't know why crab wormed in to my post as it was absent in your post which I referred to. Must be I put two and two together because of hermit - hermit crab :P  which when you think about it is much worse than celibacy - being a hermit and being crabby.

Now speaking of crabs - does it pair well with any wine???? Crab is my favorite crustacean hehehe...

Well it didn't look like you were crabby when you showed up that night - on the contrary your presence always causes ripples because of your charm, ehermmmm......

I really don't remember being talky that time especially when art was being discussed :unsure:  :P

Now if what you say about the wine causing short-term memory loss is true, then by golly let's request pareng masi to serve it again :P

I can't recall the Tyrell I had before - all I remember is that it was a good value wine - cheap but nevertheless drinkable....

Errr generally when women are celibate they become crabby kasi. :closedeyes:

Eherrmmmmm matagal na kita hindi na bibigyan ng award Bods so ..... AWARD!!!!!!! :lol: May nalalamanlaman ka pang ripples of charm dyan. The only ripples I know are the ones with dimples fast multiplying on my booty area! :lol:

Friend, hindi mura ang Tyrell! Ayan baka bumili ka ng Tyrell habang may short term memory loss ka. :ohmy:

p.s. Masi is right, white would suit seafood better and the sweeter rieslings are just perfect with mussels, shellfish, fish and CRABS! :thumbsupsmiley:

Back from deep lurk mode......to let you know (especially Bods, Masi and Ms. Lips) that I will be in the Philippines from Dec. 2 to Dec. 6! Yay! Got my tickets, now all I have to do is find a hotel in Makati at a decent (by that I mean LOCAL) rate, not the exorbitant foreigner rate.

Mr. Agxo3! This old hag is honored. :)

Looks good!!! Maybe we can get together by 9:00 p.m. on the 4th.  That would have given you time to refresh from your long trip from Baguio.  I'll get the Bods and Lips together.

The Bods? :blink: Since when did Bods become an object? Ooops I forget, object of desire pala si Bods dito sa MTC -- pinagnanasahan ng maraming gurlets. :hypocritesmiley: