as far as i know...just dont let the sun get to it or it might turn into vinegar. Also (correct me...) you have to store it on its side so the cork will not go dry and in a dark place...your cabinet will do. I placed some of my wines in my cabinet ad so far, ok pa naman silang lahat.

It's not so much the sun, as much as it is temperature. If the wine gets too warm, it will "cook" and the flavors will mutate into something less than pleasant. A sour, vinegary taste is often the result. Also important is that the temperature (whatever you store it at) be consistent. Lots of high-low swings will damage the wines as well. So - keep it at 20 deg C or lower, and keep it consistent. And a dark, dry place is best - but not too dry. You want the cork to stay moist. Keeping the wine on its side helps keep the cork moist.

If the wine has one of those newfangled syntehtic corks, then you don't have to keep it on its side, as the plastic corks do not shrink in dry environments.

Edited by agxo3
i consider myself a wine snob. but was surprised to find that some supermarket-grade wines are ok. JUST OK. not fabulous or anything. drinkable at best.

when beggars can't be choosers, grocery fare can satisfy.

I've got some good wines at groceries before, but Draeger's, Oakville and Andronico's are not your ordinary groceries. They've got wine inventory that make many a wine store pale in comparison.

Safeway, Albertson's, Raley's and other local groceries, OTOH, have inventory that's price driven. For a daily drinker, they often are the right class of wine, price-wise and quality-wise. For a special occasion, or for something you want to sip and savor, they're a much less reliable source.

wow this is such a kewl thread

ive been wanting to learn more about wines since im a dining freak

anyway just want to share that theres this place i saw in

Blue Wave, near amari macapagal highway

italian restaurant drink all you can wines, and they have WINE CATERING

different selections

different selections

I think that's Plato Platina. Nice place.

different selections

for how much yan, pare? Puro Italian wines lang ba o meron ding iba?

thanks for the share...nice place to check out

hello...

ako din pasulpot sulpot lang, :P

just want to share about this ordinance in toronto that is in effect now...kinda customer friendly..

customers who go to restaurants for dinner can bring their own bottle of wine without being charge for corkage or anything... :) at least patrons will not be forced to buy wines (they don't really like) from restaurants. If they do order wine from the establishment (by glass) and liked it...they'll be able to buy what's left in the bottle at bottle price(whatever the term for that, hehehe).

Some restaurants though have reservations regarding this ordinance...but it's getting popular with wine lovers!!! :cool:

I can't remember the exact reason for this ordinance but i know it was something to do with family togetherness (whatever that means),...and of course, tourism!! ;)

la lang!! :)

I'm reading this book about a fellow who travels from Spain to Scotland by bike. In one of his sojourns in a rural town near Seville, he gets to share a bottle of wine (tinto they call it) with some local. No glasses were available, but the locals there seemed to have mastered the art of drinking by the bottle. This they do by holding the wine bottle by the neck and proceeding to chug-a-lug WITHOUT the bottle touching their lips :cool:

Anybody wanna try this stunt if and when we have an EB? :P

Tanong lang po:

Ano po bang wine ang pede kong pang regalo sa dad ko for his birthday

1K-1.5K budget

pards ang laki ng budget mo but if it's for a special dad ok na din...

wine connoisseur ba dad mo?

anyway, offhand you can try Wine Depot for the following:

1. Grant Burge Filsell

2. Grant Burge Meschach (kung matuwa ka talaga sa dad mo dahil P3000+ ito)

3. Ravenswood

4. Simi

5. Dunnewood

6. Brookland Valley

good luck, pare...I hope this helps :)

pards ang laki ng budget mo but if it's for a special dad ok na din...

wine connoisseur ba dad mo?

anyway, offhand you can try Wine Depot for the following:

1. Grant Burge Filsell

2. Grant Burge Meschach (kung matuwa ka talaga sa dad mo dahil P3000+ ito)

3. Ravenswood

4. Simi

5. Dunnewood

6. Brookland Valley

good luck, pare...I hope this helps :)

thanks for the advise. Hindi naman Wine connoisseur dad ko pero that my budget for my gift.

I have just printed out your post as my shopping guide.

Salamat uli

Alfierie, of westin philippine plaza  gives Wine Buffet everyday, hmmm daming tasty choices there !!!

Ongoing pa ba ito?

there's a new Wine Depot along Julia Vargas - kaya lang medyo maliit ang space nila - nothing like the cavernous one in Makati...They got a sale of Brookland Valley wines - from P1000+ down to P850....

Brookland must be good as it comes from the Margaret River region of Australia...the wines there show French characteristics as the climate there is Mediaterranean, not unlike other parts of Australia where the climate is super hot...

cheerio, folks!

nice posts....i am wondering if what is the most ideal storage for wines?  I plan to have a mini winery in my attic.  The temp there is kinda hot.  so what do i need to keep my wine stock in good condition. thanks

the attic maybe the worst place to keep your wine. as you mentioned it gets hot there..

try to keep them in a place in your house where the temperature is mostly constant. a corner in your garage, sala etc. as long as the bottles dont get moved around too much. keep them on their side.

try back reading... much has been said about proper storage.

good luck.