• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

nope.. not even in your imagination, agxo... no loafers, no silk shirts, no racy shades, not even reidels  just 2 good, experienced guys discovering the wines that are available this side of the world.  as for the cigars, local brands... though we might venture into some cubans and dominicans, everytime time the moon turns blue... :lol:

that was a good one.... :D

Do I get an award for that one? :lol: :cool:

now what was that?!!! :blink:  :P

pare you might have messed up your quotes but the sentiment is there!

wine, women and song....what more can you ask for? never imagined the lyrics of Carly Simon and Carole King would get posted in a thread like this :P

pare, fyi, I might be flirtatious but never was I bolero and never will I be popular with the ladies...either you are misreading the posts or you've had one drop too many :P

I can't review wines properly like you and masi - it seems I have a problem articulating what I smell, feel and taste - but if you had read any good review of mine, thanks a lot for your appreciation.

cheers!

Merryvale is available here I think through Bacchus - i gotta check on your recommendation. Thanks!

Bods, you are way, way, way too modest! You deserve to be taking a bow :cool: for bringing this group together!

well a sing-along sounds like a great idea! But I do hope to get plastered  first before I sing....Days of Wine and Roses :P

ok pare you check the skirts while I check what's behind them ooopsss :hypocritesmiley:

And after you check behind the skirts, can I check under them? :cool:

It's going to take more than a few drinks to get me to the point where I'll sing......I KNOW how bad I am! :sick: But I am more than willing to listen and applaud! :cool:

this is good reading bods!  Good morning!  I guess as long as there are quality products in the market, trust that there are  counterfeits shadowing it.

I would still like to see traditional labelling.  Maybe the "purist" in me.  I hope those tags will be hidden and away from the labels.  A good place to put them would be between the cork and the foil.  Better yet, come up  that technology to make flex circuits where the circuit is imbedded in the foil already.

yeah pare, a microchip in a wine bottle somehow diminishes the romance in it...

but inventing a "talking label" to counteract fraud is similar to using an ax to k*ll a fly - way too over! :D

Had a Neibaum Coppola Blancaneaux 2001 last night. Blancaneaux is a white Bordeaux-style blend of chardonnay, viognier, roussanne and marsanne, all grapes estate-grown. Great mouth-feel, almost red-like in body. An intriguing blend of flavors - apple and pear, ginger, peach and other stone fruit, all coming through at one phase or another. Nice acitity to hold it together, a bit of butter for mouth-feel, and some nice mineral, earth tones. A great wine with Mediterreanean flavors but should also go well with Asian flavors of spice and peppers. Definitely a keeper, and one of the rare whites I wholeheartedly recommend. Perhaps not a wine for beginners, perhaps since it is absolutely bone-dry, despite the fruitiness the viognier imparts.

Wine label information:

1. Name of winery

2. Appellation - Name of the winegrowing region. 

3. Name of the vineyard(s)

4. Varietal name - If there is no varietal name, the wine is probably a blend (cuvee).  To be able to call a wine by the varietal name, it must contain at least 75% of wine from that grape. Traditional wines from France, Italy, and Spain, use the place of origin instead of the varietal.

5. Vintage - The year the grapes were grown. If there is no vintage, it is probably a mixture of wines made in different years. 

Some labels have other technical data such as percentage of varietals if it is a blend, residual sugar, percentage alcohol, etc. 

--- Other Information Found on Wine Labels ---

"Cellared and Bottled By" means that the winery bought the wine and bottled it.

"Made and Bottled By" means that the winery made at least 10% of the wine.

"Produced and Bottled By" means that the winery made at least 75% of the wine.

"Estate Bottled" means that the winery not only made 100% of the wine but also grew the grapes on land owned by the winery.

"Vintner's Reserve," "Estate Reserve" or "Select" etc. - Terms like these have no set (or legal) meaning, although within certain wineries these terms may have specific meaning.  Labeling laws and requirements will vary between countries.

pare thanks for sharing this info with the readers....

sometimes they put in the percentage of sulfites - why is this important and/or is this required by law?

correct me if I'm wrong - is the sulfite the cause of allergies?

pare thanks for sharing this info with the readers....

sometimes they put in the percentage of sulfites - why is this important and/or is this required by law?

correct me if I'm wrong - is the sulfite the cause of allergies?

Around here, all that's required by law is the notation that wine contains sulfites. It's an allergy thing - some people are very allergic to sulfites. Sulfites in reds are what are often blamed for hangovers, and why some people say they only drink whites.

eh how will you sing, hindi ka naman punta sa mga WEB? :rolleyes:

Awards night? hmmmm....but we are so few here, there may not be that many choices - baka magkaroon pa ng scam!!!

sige we'll keep you posted as your tito masi will arrange some sort of a party hehehe

any party with booze, i'll be there. see getting together is not one tough proposition. basta between bods and i, it's a matter of a single sms..."i'm thirsty, let's drink" and the rest they say is theology... :hypocritesmiley: yan umagang pa lang di pa ko nakakakita ng bote :wacko: . siguro inis ako dito sa rally sa ayala. :grr:

hey, bods, it's wednesday and all this political noise and the work we're doing, aren't you thirsty yet?

Edited by masi
Around here, all that's required by law is the notation that wine contains sulfites. It's an allergy thing - some people are very allergic to sulfites. Sulfites in reds are what are often blamed for hangovers, and why some people say they only drink whites.

hmmm... now that explains it! how i got my hangover after last week's eb. are sulfites present in whiskey, rum, bandy, etc? or should i consider drinking whites (the wine :lol: ) next time....

As I suspected, pare...thanks for the info!

I think it's required by law in Australia as almost, if not all yata, Aussie wines I see have the percent sulfites indicated on the label...

ok next question - I forgot why they put sulfites in wines in the first place :P

some form of preservative?

I prefer Beavis and Butthead - I'm really crass and crude and ill-mannered.

masi is my polar opposite because he has the time and money :lol:

now that you mention it, I miss those two idiots - teka mahalungkat nga yung video nila.

watching their inanities is akin to drinking bad wine in an already inebriated state :P

honk your horn, man!!! :D the only time and money i have is the pittance i take out from this daily grind called work. :wacko: i'm not a fan of the Beavis and Butthead series, i gross-out!

now, benny hill and mr. bean, that's my idea of a class act. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by masi
any party with booze, i'll be there.  see getting together is not one tough proposition.  basta between bods and i, it's a matter of a single sms..."i'm thirsty, let's drink"  and the rest they say is theology...  :hypocritesmiley: yan umagang pa lang di pa ko nakakakita ng bote :wacko: .  siguro inis ako dito sa rally sa ayala. :grr:

hey, bods, it's wednesday and all this political noise and the work we're doing, aren't you thirsty yet?

hahaha mukhang mapupurnada plano ah!

I can't seem to find a free schedule up to Saturday :grr:

let's play it by ear, pare!

pwede naman biglaan right?

And speaking of theology, everybody should keep in mind that the first miracle of Christ was turning water into WINE!

...and it's a miracle that this thread has exceeded all our expectations :P

hmmm... now that explains it!  how i got my hangover after last week's eb.  are sulfites present in whiskey, rum, bandy, etc?  or should i consider drinking whites (the wine :lol: ) next time....

And that's what inspired me to post my notes about the white I just had last night. That Blancaneaux is one nice white wine.

As I suspected, pare...thanks for the info!

I think it's required by law in Australia as almost, if not all yata, Aussie wines I see have the percent sulfites indicated on the label...

ok next question - I forgot why they put sulfites in wines in the first place :P

some form of preservative?

Sulfites are a preservative. Some of it is naturally occuring, but many (if not most) winemakers add some. I found a reference article about sulfites - http://waterhouse.ucdavis.edu/winecomp/so2.htm

According to the author, there is no connection between sulfites and headaches (so it WASN'T the sulfites in the reds you drank, Masi).