Back To The 70's

I still have the LP where that came out - InFlight - Breezin I think won a grammy for George Benson. But I prefer him when he was just a pure guitarist before he came out with all these vocals. I'm planning to buy a CD of his where all of his guitar pieces are on display - playing White Rabbit, Take Five, GoodKingBad, California Dreamin'.....but his version of This Masquerade with vocals was a great one....

Van Halen the group went through so many lead singers - David Lee Roth to Sammy Hagar - ngayon di ko na alam kung sino. Last I heard Eddie was planning to come out with a pure instrumental album - about time, really...

Pare can you play a la Eddie Van halen or do shredding? :P

Cheers!

I agree that the George Benson of the 70's was a better version than the Benson of the 80's and 90's where in he is being packaged more as a vocalist.

Benson started gaining fame as a jazz session artist and his move to being an instrumentalist was a natural one.

Van Halen remains a super influence on many players. Learning to play Eruption is almost like a passage for every aspiring rocker... heheh! :D I sometimes play "Aint Talking About Love, Panama and Dreams" from the Van Halen list.

Speaking of the 70's.... Anybody here ever into the "JUAN DELA CRUZ BAND"?

For a brief period in the early 70's JDC Band was THE band! Pepe Smith, Wally Gonzales and Mike Hanopol came out blasting from DZRJ and Pinoy Rock was never the same again.

""Laklakin Mo, Durugin Mo

Laklakin Mo, Hanggang sa iKaw ay maging Bato"

Remember that song? :lol:

I agree that the George Benson of the 70's was a better version than the Benson of the 80's and 90's where in he is being packaged more as a vocalist.

Benson started gaining fame as a jazz session artist and his move to being an instrumentalist was a natural one.

Van Halen remains a super influence on many players. Learning to play Eruption is almost like a passage for every aspiring rocker... heheh! :D I sometimes play "Aint Talking About Love, Panama and Dreams" from the Van Halen list.

For a brief period in the early 70's JDC Band was THE band! Pepe Smith, Wally Gonzales and Mike Hanopol came out blasting from DZRJ and Pinoy Rock was never the same again.

pare I gotta see you play those Van Halen tunes one of these days :P Waddaya say?

The LP's of Juan de la Cruz are collector's items now. I heard that their Masskara album is selling for close to a thousand dun kina Bobby - kahit wasak na daw yung cover...mga Japanese daw ang naghahanap - I dunno why....

yeah Balong Malalim, Himig Natin....those were classics. Back around the mid-80's nakakainuman ko si Pepe Smith and he was one hell of a drinker. He was a friend of an officemate and we used to take him along. What was memorable was during a birthday of mine back then isinama nila si Pepe sa bahay then when he got loaded up he played Billy Idol's Rebel Yell on my acoustic guitar! then he played a blues number complete with beer bottle slide on the frets. Nagpuntahan and naki-usyoso lahat nung tambay dun sa amin when they heard that the PEPE SMITH was on the house!

Wally Gonzales plays some gigs now in Greenbelt and Makati Av but I have a hard time catching up to when and where he plays.

Mike Hanopol is a regular patron at our resto - my wife has seen him several times there with his wife. Still with the same get-up. Imagine - the old jeproks mahilig pala sa Japanese food!

1978 - 4 yrs old ako...my dad bought a Gibson SG in Clark Air Base...hehehe :P  it now stands beside my Gibson P-Bass :D

OOOOWHEEE!

An SG and a P-BASS? Better hold on to it as those things are running in 4 digits USDollars! BTW, if its a P-Bass then it was made by Fender and not by Gibson. Although Gibson has an SG bass model known as the EB1. B) Does your SG come with a trem bar?

Funny you mentioned Clark Airbase in the 70's. I used to go there with my dad when I was younger and I really thought I was in a different country. THe 70's Dau and Angeles areas were full of those muscle cars moving about with road lined up with stores selling PX items and bars and restaurants full with GI's.

I mean, my very first Adidas pair--- the Vienna model with the red stripes-- was bought in one of those shops! :D Darn.. I miss that pair.... :lol: I followed that up with a reliable blue Puma Clyde!

Edited by 16track

Bukod sa "Himig Natin" at "Laklakan", isa pa sa mga naging paborito kong kanta ng Juan dela Cruz band ang "Rock and Roll sa Ulan".

After the break-up, I really liked "Wally's Blues" which was released by Wally Gonzales around 1977-78. :unsure: I consider it a classic although not many rockers other than those from our generation know about his works because he was a lot less popular than either Mike or Pepe.

I think George Benson in the later years became more of a pop act and deviated a bit from being a strictly jazz artist.

Although "Moody's Mood" remains one of my favorites among his songs with vocals.

yeah pare I remember tasyo and batsi :P

pero nung sa Pasig dati sa amin, yung kotse ginawa nilang estok..

meron pa nung kadiri to death dati, di ba

The epitome of the kolehiyala language was sung by Hotdog in 'Beh Buti Nga!'

...Kadiri to death, you're so baduy!

By the way, uso na noon sa amin nung high school yung term na jeproks and that was way back 1974 pa, jeproks pertains to porma or pananamit na mala-rockstar, think pormang Circus band, Earth Wind & Fire, etc. Kaya nga nasabi kong naiba yung meaning nang ginawan ng kanta ni Pareng Mike.

We called naman noon yung pormang preppy na jepry, meaning naka-lacoste, grandslam, fred perry, etc. Pormang burgis or social. Mukhang kay bango. :*

I think George Benson in the later years became more of a pop act and deviated a bit from being a strictly jazz artist. 

Although "Moody's Mood" remains one of my favorites among his songs with vocals.

yes that was a bummer. I first heard of Benson playing Take Five and California Dreamin' then he did This masquerade with vocals - it was beautiful. I thought it was just a novelty of his pero nag-tuloy-tuloy na siya sa songs with vocals - and more pop-influenced na.....Too bad, you know....

Been busy these days. Naalala ko pa nung 70s kapag ganitong buwan e maraming typar kasi katapos lang ng quarterly exams.

'Fly Robin Fly'

Nung college naman, finals and sem break. Octoberfest talaga. Halos gabi-gabi ikot sa mga hotels and discos. Listening to Kuh Ledesma with Music & Magic at Alibi bar in Regent or Something Special (New Minstrels) at Siete Pecados in Westin. Then, papawis sa Wherelse.

'I haven't stopped dancing yet' - Hernandez

'Keep on Dancin' - Gary's Gang

Tapos bottomless coffee sa lobby ng Peninsula o kaya'y siomai sa Aberdeen.

O kaya'y :wub:

Naku, memories na lang natira sa akin, buti ka pa BlackMamba, may pictures pa, haha.

hello daisycutter, kapatid mo nga ba si jumbs ? para hindi ako ma off topic, i got the planet of the apes dvd movies courtesy of jumbs.

as we all know the sequels of planet of the apes were released in the early 70s

beneath the planet of the apes - 1970

escape from the planet of the apes - 1971

conquest of the planet of the apes - 1972

battle for the planet of the apes - 1973

roddy mcdowall (the chimpanzee Cornelius) and kim hunter (the chimpanzee - Zira)- roddy mcdowall passed away in 1998 (the documentary about the planet of the apes hosted by roddy mcdowall was done in 1998) while kim hunter passed away in the year 2002.

see attached image - that image left an indelible impression about the earth's (inevitable?) future.

post-46232-1097456326.jpg

Edited by Anaheim

i know the place huntington beach, sa orange county yan. sarap mag surfing dyan

here's a sad day for all you Superman fans out there

Christopher Reeve 1952-2004

Christopher Reeve died of cardiac arrest arising from an infection on his pressure wounds. pressure wounds a common complication among those who are living with paralysis.

Superman - an alexander salkind production released in 1978 , hindi ako off topic. also starring marlon brando as superman's dad.

post-46232-1097489732.jpg

Edited by Anaheim
pare, Leon Russell composed This Masquerade and his version is the original and no other version approaches his original take...It was the best!

Ohh yeh..Leon Russel did write that song. Another piece of Russel genuis was the song " A Song for You" which was covered by both Ray Charles and the Carpenters.

Here's a link to the beautiful song which Leon sings in his usually haunting manner:

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/russell_leon/77185/album.jhtml

:D