Back To The 70's

You know, that has really baffled me.  Our cyclists train in tne roughest of terrains (potholes, uneven roads, hot weather, etc.), in very much the same way the long distance runners of Africa do.  The Africans produce world champions.  Why can't we?

JT, I think sponsorship lang ang kulang natin eh. Modern equipment too, unlike running where all you need are a set of iron lungs and sneakers, you can get into your game na. But cycling, well it's an expensive sport to indulge in. But you're right, compared to Westerners, the wicked Philippine training grounds should whip up our boys (at least the oldies) to compete globally.

You know, that has really baffled me.  Our cyclists train in tne roughest of terrains (potholes, uneven roads, hot weather, etc.), in very much the same way the long distance runners of Africa do.  The Africans produce world champions.  Why can't we?

JT, I think sponsorship lang ang kulang natin eh. Modern equipment too, unlike running where all you need are a set of iron lungs and sneakers, you can get into your game na. But cycling, well it's an expensive sport to indulge in. But you're right, compared to Westerners, the wicked Philippine training grounds should whip up our boys (at least the oldies) to compete globally.

Cycling happened to be my passion when I was in my 30s and I followed major road races such as the Tour ng Pilipinas, Tour de France, Giro d' Italia and the Vuelta de Espana, not to mention the Tour Dupont and the Tour of Langkawi.

As far as equipment is concerned, the Philippine Team has access to the best equipment there is used in the major Tours in Europe. However, the physiological factor (fast and slow twitch muscles) of the Filipino athlete is the primary consideration on why we can't seem to excel in such major endurance sport.

Part of training is nutrition and a programmatic development "plan" for the athletes. At such high level competition, it is not a matter of simply riding your bike and cycling those miles away til sunset.

Our athletes never get the benefit of measuring VO2 max, understanding the benefits of aerobic and anaerobic thresholds, that is why we can't perform to the optimum potential. When I used to ride with the national team on their training rides at Quezon Circle, we get into discussion on how foreign teams perform. They told me that those guys are "talagang malakas" making hills ride like flat terrain. Height also plays a major role. Most European riders are 6 feet tall. If you are tall you have bigger lung capacity and a bigger heart not to mention longer legs that would allow use of longer cranks, which translates to stronger power-to-weight ratio.

Last but not least, funding. European teams are well funded from equipment, training and medication, food and supplements and salaries. When one need not worry on where to get the money to put food on the table for their families, there is more focus on getting the gold.

Hahaha! Hokey ba?

Actually 1973 pala nanalo si Jesus Garcia Jr. Pare yung naging runner-up ay muntik sanang nanalo noon kaya lang team captain niya si Jess Garcia. A few seconds lang ang lamang ni Jess Garcia sa kanya. Cesar Catambay name niya.

1974 nanalo si Teoderico Rimarim at runner-up ulit si Catambay. Samson Etrata won in 1975, Modesto Bonzo in 1976, Manuel Reynante in 1977. Hindi ko matandaan yung 78 pero nung 79 ay si Paquito Rivas ang nanalo.

I think Cesar Catambay was the only great rider who never won the Tour.

pareng masi, ok talaga ang analysis mo - panalo :P Can it also be said that it would be due to physiological factors that no blacks excel in swimming - only white Caucasians. What could be the reason for that? On the other hand, except for a few, only black Africans dominate the long-distance races - the 5000m and the 10000m in the Olympics...

Hi to all !!

Most specially to Sliderule who noticed my non-participation  :)

Just lurking here...wala ako ma-contribute...basketball.  Dnt know anything...ang alam ko lang current UAAP stars.  :)

Pag may alam na ako. Join na ulit ako.  Just standing by.

walang ganyanan :P we want you here......

sige introduce ka ng topic you would be comfortable with - I'm sure sa dami namin dito may makakakwentuhan ka sigurado :)

cheers!

have a blessed Sunday everyone!

Yup, that was Wilfred Uytengsu nga yata. Just found out quite recently.

what about that 'Grow Tall, Little Man' ad with Nino Muhlach?

Talk about wrong choices.

Diba si Oliver din yun?

pare, adman ka ba? Natatandaan mo pa mga ads nung araw :P

I don't recall that Nino was in that Grow Tall ad but it's really a monumental mistake judging by how Nino is today. Kaya siguro hindi na mabenta ang Alaska :P

Masi, galing ng analysis mo, may meaningful substance talaga. Our lack of global competetivness in sports is not ingrained in our genes. Just look at Chinese dominance in other fields.

Flyingdutchman : wow your recall of those ads are something else: "Galing Mow Man"! Siguro hindi uminom ng Alaska si Nino hehehe

Bods, for athletics, I think yung high elevation ng Africans ang key facter to their success.

Anyway, sige - para makabalik si mareng augustmoon: Ano ba ang mga memorable 70's ads na inyong napanuod in your 70's black & white Zenith TV's with the "rabbit ears"?? Si flyingdutchman would probably have a wealth of ads to contribute..

How about yung "Kaaaa-ro-neee-ya..."

Masi, galing ng analysis mo, may meaningful substance talaga. Our lack of global competetivness in sports is not ingrained in our genes. Just look at Chinese dominance in other fields.

Flyingdutchman : wow your recall of those ads are something else: "Galing Mow Man"! Siguro hindi uminom ng Alaska si Nino hehehe

Bods, for athletics, I think yung high elevation ng Africans ang key facter to their success.

Anyway, sige - para makabalik si mareng augustmoon: Ano ba ang mga memorable 70's ads na inyong napanuod in your 70's black & white Zenith TV's with the "rabbit ears"?? Si flyingdutchman would probably have a wealth of ads to contribute..

ako yung mga ads ni elizabeth ramsey....superwheel...maga-patuka na lang ako sa ahas!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

yung caronia? hehehe...very unique dance steps... :boo:

Caronia is reintroduced in the market now. I saw a very large billboard in Caloocan. The caronia commercial was in the 60s pa.

Memorable commercials for me in the 70s were

1. Camay commercials most notably the ones featuring Crispy Santamaria. The other favorite Camay girls were the Revilla sisters (Maritess and Cita), Toni Rose Gayda,

2. Superwheel Commercials featuring the Movie greats spoof series like Cleopatra and The King and I (Gloria Romero as Anna and Aurelio Estanislao as the King) ,

3. San Miguel Beer Commercials featuring Bert 'Tawa' Marcelo.

4. Veto - Is it you they're talking About

5. Close Up - Close up smile. Mga boys ang sumikat dito like sina William Martinez, Gabby Concepcion, Alfie Anido, etc.

6. Westinghouse - Ice Pugo, dasalasnansens.

7. Mennen Skin Bracer - I liked most the japanese who slapped his face very hard.

8. Aji-No-Moto - tak, tak, tak sa Aji-no-moto.

9. Raid - cartoon commercial

10. Coke - it's the real thing.

11. 7-up Kung Fu commercial. Cola nut, uncola nut.

12 Marlboro commercials - hindi nagbago mula noon hanggang ngayon ganoon din ang juicy fruit gum

Good morning to ALL !!!!

Monday na naman ! :(

The 70's Ad i remember most is the SMB Ad "Isang platitong Mani" - Bert Marcelo in the Lead together with all the Filipino sports greats (then)...Flash Elorde etc.

"Yeye" vonnel Ad with the Onrubia Sisters.

The first Close-up commercial with Tetet Limjap (now Crisol) then that of Ana Lorraine Kier (now Tabora).

Backtrack lang ng konti... I also remember the "Put a tiger in your tank" campaign nf Shell ba yon? was one of the first to to Merch tie-ups...when they offered various "tiger products...the most popular one being the Tiger inflatable na ginagamt pang boxing.

And pag Coke dealer ka / Sari-sari store owner, nagbibigay sila ng miniature COKE (24 bottles) in a miniature wooden case. I saw one being sold in this retro shop in Cubao for P 2,000 !!!!!

Was "Ibalik ang Swerti" the ad of Interbank?  Can't recall anymore. 

Ms. Liberty, this was actually something we discussed in our marketing class oh so many years ago. The line was so successful that people remembered only the line (and the boy sweeping) but no one could recall what exactly was being advertised. In fact, in our marketing class, our instructor asked if anyone knew what product, service, or idea was being advertised in "Ibalik ang swerti." No one could answer.

Folks, I wonder if any of you remember this defining movie of the 70s: "The Trial of Billy Jack," which featured a portion on the massacre at My Lai in Vietnam. There was also this scene where the native American elders said, "If we are to have another civil war, let it begin here." Then a soldier threw away his M-16, and the others followed suit. The final scene had people in a church singing, "All we are saying, is give peace a chance." Cry me a river.

so kaya pala madami ding magagaling na long-distance runners na mga Mexicans and other South Americans...

Memorable commercials I can remember:

Ye-Ye Vonnel...

Isang platitong mani....

Pupulbusin ko dibdib mo!.......

The Philip Morris commercials where the long sticks always get broken....

Yung Timex commercial na sinuotan ni Jaworski ng relo yung kabayo :P .....

Pareng Bods, MILKMAID yung grow tall little man ni Niño Muhlach.

I stand corrected, pare hehehe kaya pala pati mga babae napagiwanan sa height si Nino :P

Text ba yun? Tawag namin dun kas "teks", tapos yung pinaka bulok na pato ang ginagamit ko kasi laging panalo.  Funny, I tried to complete the series (e.g. mga Spiderman) in teks pero di nangyari.

Pareho din yun. Nirelate lang ni warhead yung tex noon sa tex ngayon. Funny ako rin, hindi ko nabuo yung X-Men, the Avengers even the Longest day na 58 numbered cards lang gayong there was a time that I had about 2 sacks full of tex. Naubos ko ang lahat ng tex sa buong barangay namin :P :lol: