Back To The 70's

Noise Barrage

Laban - Lakas ng Bayan

The noise barrage of 1978 was one of the most memorable experience of the 70s. Marcos unbelievably allowed Ninoy Aquino to run for public office while in prison. Ninoy knows it is a no win situation for him. But his followers flew leaflet around Metro Manila, noise barrage so that Marcos will know that even if he cheats the election, we won.

It was the inception of people power.

Noise Barrage

Laban - Lakas ng Bayan

The noise barrage of 1978 was one of the most memorable experience of the 70s. Marcos unbelievably allowed Ninoy Aquino to run for public office while in prison. Ninoy knows it is a no win situation for him. But his followers flew leaflet around Metro Manila, noise barrage so that Marcos will know that even if he cheats the election, we won.

It was the inception of people power.

Ang ingay sa area namin on the night that this noise barrage was launched. :cool: Large areas of Metro Manila participated in such barrage that it took Marcos by surprise. He thought that after 6 years of martial law e na-subdue na niya ang mga tao.

Pero iyong gagong si Leonardo Perez ng Comelec, niluto pa rin ang resulta ng eleksiyon. :angry: :thumbsdownsmiley:

One of the many Makoy lapdogs you really want to hate at that time. Isa pang aw-aw si then Sec. of (Dis)Informatioin- Kit

Tatad. :grr:

1971 Campaign slogan used for the Senate elections: "Ibagsak Ang Mga Tuta ni Marcos!" :cool: The opposition Liberal Party took 7 of the 8 Senate seats that were up for grabs that fateful year. This inspite of the fact that a number of them were gravely injured (e.g. Salonga, Ilarde, and Mitra) from the Plaza Miranda bombing that took place in August of that year.

Marcos was also able to attract academically brilliant men to his cabinet. They were known as the "technocrats" and these included the following:

1. Cesar Virata (Finance)

2. Jaime Laya

3. Roberto Ongpin

4. Horacio "Boy" Morales - founded the Development Academy of the Philippines and then defected to the anti-Marcos opposition in 1977

Unfortunately for these men, they had to use their skills to prop up a leader like Marcos. :thumbsdownsmiley:

One of the many Makoy lapdogs you really want to hate at that time. Isa pang aw-aw si then Sec. of (Dis)Informatioin- Kit

Tatad. :grr:

Those guys (Leonardo Perez and Kit Tatad) have their present-day counterparts in Benjamin Abalos and Raul Gonzalez. With Abalos, as with Perez, it's the unbelievable inability to count...or the refusal to do it properly. With Gonzalez, as with Tatad, it's the irritating sophistry.

Edited by jt2003
Marcos was also able to attract academically brilliant men to his cabinet. They were known as the "technocrats" and these included the following:

2. Jaime Laya

3. Roberto Ongpin

4. Horacio "Boy" Morales - founded the Development Academy of the Philippines and then defected to the anti-Marcos opposition in 1977

Unfortunately for these men, they had to use their skills to prop up a leader like Marcos. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Here's a bit of sharing. Some of it may be apocryphal, but here goes anyway...

Many years ago, when I was rating essays (with other raters, of course) for a shortlist in a contest, during a break, someone posed the question: "Who had better people, Marcos or Cory?" The tide went with Marcos. Just think of the four names cited in the quoted post. You could cite others such as O.D.Corpuz, Juan Manuel, and Carlos P. Romulo. The rest I can't remember at the moment. The Cory and Ramos Cabinet (perhaps with the exception of Flavier) paled in comparison with the Marcos Cabinet. As for the present Cabinet, it's the worst in recent memory.

As for the four cited in the quoted post:

Virata was not just Finance Minister. He also became Prime Minister. There was quite a debate at the Batasan Pambansa regarding that. I believe he's a consultant at the World Bank (assuming he's still alive).

Jaime Laya, at the height of a scandal regarding foreign reserves, was transferred from the Finance Deparment (not sure about this, because it may have been the Central Bank) to the DECS. I believe Mr. Laya used to be the the dean of the UP College of Business Administration.

I think Roberto Ongpin now lives in HongKong, running an investment firm.

Horacio "Boy" Morales used to be the executive director of the Fund for Assistance to Private Education (FAPE). I think he went underground for some time. I don't know if he's still involved with the Philippine Rural Reconstruction Movement (PRRM). This is one person whom I'd vote for if he ever decides to run for president.

1971 Campaign slogan used for the Senate elections: "Ibagsak Ang Mga Tuta ni Marcos!" :cool: The opposition Liberal Party took 7 of the 8 Senate seats that were up for grabs that fateful year. This inspite of the fact that a number of them were gravely injured (e.g. Salonga, Ilarde, and Mitra) from the Plaza Miranda bombing that took place in August of that year.

2. Jaime Laya

3. Roberto Ongpin

I can also count for Sec. of Trade & Industry Vicente (Ting) Paterno as one of the few men of integrity during that time. :thumbsupsmiley:

Met Jaime Laya recently in a wake. He's with Philtrust (Chairman I supposed).

Pareng Storm, correct me if I'm wrong, pero Jaime Laya was/is also an avid art and antique collector. I remember during his tenure as Governor of the Central Bank that he was instrumental in making the Central Bank's art collection one of the most extensive in the country during that time. :)

JT2003 was right in that Jimmy Laya was moved from the CB to the DECS as a result of a scandal where the World Bank found out that our country's foreign exchange reserves were significantly overstated. :(

Celebrating VALENTINES DAY in the 70s...my most memorable was in 77 with my "karte" at Spindle (which used to be located in the heart of Banawe St.), where Rico J. was the mainstay and star of the club. Roses were given out for free to the ladies during that night. :flowers: :cool:

We spent the rest of the evening inside my rundown Corolla at lover's lane of QUEZON MEMORIAL CIRCLE. :blush:

Edited by Mandrake
Pareng Storm, correct me if I'm wrong, pero Jaime Laya was/is also an avid art and antique collector. I remember during his tenure as Governor of the Central Bank that he was instrumental in making the Central Bank's art collection one of the most extensive in the country during that time. :)

JT2003 was right in that Jimmy Laya was moved from the CB to the DECS as a result of a scandal where the World Bank found out that our country's foreign exchange reserves were significantly overstated. :(

Laya: "Mr. President, I'm afraid that due to the economic situation, the peso has declined and some businessmen have taken lots of it out of the country."

FM: "What are you trying to tell me?"

Laya: "We are running out of money."

FM: Then, just print more money!"

More on Laya...I was a reporter in Baguio on July 17, 1990, just 24 hours after the devastating earthquake. His wife was trapped with Mrs. Sonia Roco at the Nevada Hotel just in front of John Hay. Mrs. Roco was rescued, Mrs. Laya died.

Indeed, many of Marcos' cabinet officials had impressive backgrounds...and some were known for philandering.

Remember O.D. Corpuz and Betty Bantug Benitez? She perished after the car she was driving crashed somewhere on Aguinaldo highway shortly after the two left the DAP in Tagaytay. But Corpuz survived.

Greg Cendana....Ministry of Communications

Francisco Escudero...Ministry of Agricultre

Blas Ople...Ministry of Labor

Juan Ponce Enrile...Ministry of Defence

Onofre Corpuz....Ministry of Education

damnn....we were required to memorise all of these on our social studies class.....funny thing though i can still remember them

Laya: "Mr. President, I'm afraid that due to the economic situation, the peso has declined and some businessmen have taken lots of it out of the country."

FM: "What are you trying to tell me?"

Laya: "We are running out of money."

FM: Then, just print more money!"

More on Laya...I was a reporter in Baguio on July 17, 1990, just 24 hours after the devastating earthquake. His wife was trapped with Mrs. Sonia Roco at the Nevada Hotel just in front of John Hay. Mrs. Roco was rescued, Mrs. Laya died.

Indeed, many of Marcos' cabinet officials had impressive backgrounds...and some were known for philandering.

Remember O.D. Corpuz and Betty Bantug Benitez? She perished after the car she was driving crashed somewhere on Aguinaldo highway shortly after the two left the DAP in Tagaytay. But Corpuz survived.

the one thing I can remember about OD Corpuz was that he was an avid motorcyclist.

As for Jimmy Laya, I read an interesting article he wrote lately about his experiences while taking Spanish lessons now (I can't remember for what purpose he's taking them).

To add to the Marcos technocrats, there was also Gerardo (?) Sicat, who used to head NEDA, and of course Jobo Fernandez.

A lot of brilliant minds then....

Greg Cendana....Ministry of Communications

Francisco Escudero...Ministry of Agricultre

Blas Ople...Ministry of Labor

Juan Ponce Enrile...Ministry of Defence

Onofre Corpuz....Ministry of Education

damnn....we were required to memorise all of these on our social studies class.....funny thing though i can still remember them

Jose P. Dans Jr. - Ministry of Transportation and Communications

Arturo R. Tanco, Jr. - Ministry of Agricultre

Jesus Hipolito - Ministry of Public Works and Highways

Manuel Alba - Budget

Cesar Virata - Finance and then Prime Minister

Imelda Marcos - Human Settlement with Jolly Benitez

Jose A. Rono, Jr. - Minister of Local Governments

Jose Aspiras - Tourism

Edgardo Angara - UP President, kahit papaano naging Presidente rin siya. :D

We had attended some parties or typars as we called it then and met some of their children.

SA IKA-UUNLAD NG BAYAN; DISIPLINA ANG KAILANGAN

Ariel Ureta: " SA IKA-UUNLAD NG BAYAN; BISIKLETA ANG KAILANGAN" :P

Isn't it that former QC mayor Mel Mathay was MMDA chairman then? Saka taga hawak ng pulang payong ni Madam. :P

How about Arturo Tolentino, aside from being a former senator, did he held any gov't position during Marcos' time?

Edited by acl

One of the most bizarre thing that time was the murder of the Executive Secretary Guillermo de Vega inside the Malacanang Palace itself. He is rumored to be a lover of Imelda.

Emmanuel Pelaez, a member of the parliement was also a victim of an assasination attempt after he spoke against the cocunut levy which is controlled by Danding Cojuanco

Primitivo Mijares a Press Secretary was murdered in the United States presumably by Marcos agents after he wrote the book the Conjugal Dictatorship.

Ariel Ureta: " SA IKA-UUNLAD NG BAYAN; BISIKLETA ANG KAILANGAN" :P

Isn't it that former QC mayor Mel Mathay was MMDA chairman then? Saka taga hawak ng pulang payong ni Madam. :P

How about Arturo Tolentino, aside from being a former senator, did he held any gov't position during Marcos' time?

Arturo Tolentino was a member of the Batasan Pambansa under the KBL Party and also held the title of Minister of Foreign Affairs after the death of Carlos P. Romulo.

gonefishing Posted Today, 05:05 PM

One of the most bizarre thing that time was the murder of the Executive Secretary Guillermo de Vega inside the Malacanang Palace itself. He is rumored to be a lover of Imelda.

Emmanuel Pelaez, a member of the parliement was also a victim of an assasination attempt after he spoke against the cocunut levy which is controlled by Danding Cojuanco

Primitivo Mijares a Press Secretary was murdered in the United States presumably by Marcos agents after he wrote the book the Conjugal Dictatorship.

Yup. The murder of Guillermo de Vega remains a mystery to this day inspite of the fact that he was murdered within the walls of the Palace and at the height of martial law in 1975/76. Nobody went to jail for this crime. :thumbsdownsmiley: One couldn't help but suspect that the Filipino Fuhrer was behind such a dastardly act. :angry:

Regarding Primitivo Mijares, there was a rumor that he was pushed out of a plane. I don't know if this is true. I have his book, the Conjugal Dictatorship. This man should not be forgotten.

Arturo Tolentino was a member of the Batasan Pambansa under the KBL Party and also held the title of Minister of Foreign Affairs after the death of Carlos P. Romulo.

Yup. The murder of Guillermo de Vega remains a mystery to this day inspite of the fact that he was murdered within the walls of the Palace and at the height of martial law in 1975/76. Nobody went to jail for this crime. :thumbsdownsmiley: One couldn't help but suspect that the Filipino Fuhrer was behind such a dastardly act. :angry:

Regarding Primitivo Mijares, there was a rumor that he was pushed out of a plane. I don't know if this is true. I have his book, the Conjugal Dictatorship. This man should not be forgotten.

De Vega was shot by Paulino Arceo, a journalist. He was jailed for his crime; in 1986, the case was reviewed by the Supreme Court but the sentence was upheld in 1990. But since he had already served 15 years, he was paroled. However, the true reason for the murder has never been revealed. There were rumors that de Vega had granted Mijares a favor, something that Marcos did not like. In fact, de Vega was supposedly still alive when he was brought to the Malacanang clinic. But for some unknown reason, he was ordered tranferred to Singian clinic where he died upon arrival.

De Vega was shot by Paulino Arceo, a journalist. He was jailed for his crime; in 1986, the case was reviewed by the Supreme Court but the sentence was upheld in 1990. But since he had already served 15 years, he was paroled. However, the true reason for the murder has never been revealed. There were rumors that de Vega had granted Mijares a favor, something that Marcos did not like. In fact, de Vega was supposedly still alive when he was brought to the Malacanang clinic. But for some unknown reason, he was ordered tranferred to Singian clinic where he died upon arrival.

Thanks for the correction, SBM. :) I totally forgot about this Arceo guy. Is he still around?

Wasn't Primo Mijares also rumored to have been thrown out of the chopper of Hans Menzi in the middle of his Mindanao plantation for citing Menzi's sexual deviations and mis-adventures in his book...or was it another media man? :blink: