• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Back To The 70's

Tapos pumasok naman sa eksena si Foreman, a gold medalist in the 1968 Olympic Games.

As in the first Ali-Frazier bout, it was a fight between two undefeated heavyweights. The brothers gathered everyone at the covered court to listen to the radio broadcast. Those for Foreman kept raising four fingers. I was absolutely shocked when Foreman took Frazier out in two (or was it one?).

Some time later, there was that exhibition bout called "Foreman fights five" where Foreman went up against five opponents. Ali was well on the comeback trail by then, and he was at ringside, taunting Foreman. By that time, Ali had regained his form and a lot of people had begun to believe that he was the only boxer who could defeat Foreman.

Then the rope-a-dope in Zaire.

Edited by jt2003

Yes the rumble in the jungle!

We watched it in our classmate's house who lives near the school. It was lunchtime and we are all glued to the TV while eating our baon. All of us were Pro-Ali but did not bet for him. Foreman was the heavy favorite and the betting was not who will win but until what round will Ali last. At first we thought what the hell was Ali doing with the ropes, letting Big George barraged him with punches but we noticed that Foreman was not really hitting Ali with solid punches and by round 6, he was breathing heavily - naubusan ng hangin.

By round 8 - tumba si George. Tuwang-tuwa kaming lahat! :thumbsupsmiley:

Tapos pumasok naman sa eksena si Foreman, a gold medalist in the 1968 Olympic Games.

As in the first Ali-Frazier bout, it was a fight between two undefeated heavyweights.  The brothers gathered everyone at the covered court to listen to the radio broadcast.  Those for Foreman kept raising four fingers.  I was absolutely shocked when Foreman took Frazier out in two (or was it one?).

Some time later, there was that exhibition bout called "Foreman fights five" where Foreman went up against five opponents.  Ali was well on the comeback trail by then, and he was at ringside, taunting Foreman.  By that time, Ali had regained his form and a lot of people had begun to believe that he was the only boxer who could defeat Foreman.

Then the rope-a-dope in Zaire.

Foreman (the first version) had absolutely no charisma at all unlike the flashy and entertaining Ali, so he was a villain to most boxing fans, us Pinoys included. There was a terrible mismatch with a nice guy named Joe King Roman who he butchered in a couple of rounds, then he needed just a few rounds to deck Smoking Joe and Ken Norton. So it really set the stage for the Kinsasha, Zaire fight with Ali. I think Foreman disappeared from the boxing scene after that loss. Wonder why, because .....

.....fast forward 20 years later and George has completely re-invented himself to a jolly, likeable fellow who not only sold hamburger grilles, but also actually won fights. A similar but pathetic comeback attempt was attempted by Larry Holmes but he couldn't duplicate George's success.

Most the heavyweight champs (Foreman, Holmes, Spinks) of that era had the bad luck of being Ali's contemporaries. Nobody could compare to The Greatest!

To the 70's people : Kung Hei Fat Choi !!

Most the heavyweight champs (Foreman, Holmes, Spinks) of that era had the bad luck of being Ali's contemporaries. Nobody could compare to The Greatest!

Actually, they all owed each other something. Ali never would have been considered the greatest heavyweight if he had not fought Liston, Patterson, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, Chuvalo, etc....while their rep*tations were also raised because of their fights with Ali. As for Holmes, he had only one really memorable fight. That was his title bout with Norton. That 15th round had to be the best I had ever seen, with the two trading punches and both barely able to stand up. It was "Rocky" in real life.

I believe that when Foreman retired the first time, he said he was going to be a preacher. My friends and I found that rather strange, because, as you said, he was often looked upon as a bad guy.

Actually, they all owed each other something.  Ali never would have been considered the greatest heavyweight if he had not fought Liston, Patterson, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, Chuvalo, etc....while their rep*tations were also raised because of their fights with Ali.  As for Holmes, he had only one really memorable fight.  That was his title bout with Norton.  That 15th round had to be the best I had ever seen, with the two trading punches and both barely able to stand up.  It was "Rocky" in real life.

I believe that when Foreman retired the first time, he said he was going to be a preacher.  My friends and I found that rather strange, because, as you said, he was often looked upon as a bad guy.

Boss JT you left out one of the most couragous boxers of all time. He fought everybody in the heavyweight Division, two with Ali and one with then Heavyweight Champ Smokin Joe Frazier, losing on a technical decision due to cuts. His name is JERRY QUARY(RIP).

Actually, they all owed each other something.  Ali never would have been considered the greatest heavyweight if he had not fought Liston, Patterson, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, Chuvalo, etc....

JT, now that you've mentioned it, Ali's career reaches as far back as Liston and all the way to Holmes. Add to that the few years his license was suspended and you can have a real appreciation of his longevity and why he was called The Greatest.

Ali vs. Tyson, with both in their prime? In a 15-rounder, Ali would have taken Tyson out by the 13th or 14th, if not earlier. He would have used the early rounds to just jab at Tyson to dim Tyson's vision...then deliver the finishing blows later on. Besides, Ali was (is!!!) way too smart for Tyson.

Foreman vs. Tyson? That's power vs. power. I think Tyson would have taken that.

hmmm...Foreman vs. Tyson? Sayang this fight didn't push through. Mike tyson, I believe was incarcerated at that time when Big George was making his comeback....and when Mike Tyson came back, Foreman retired, i think. If ever that fight pushed through...I would go for Tyson, he really punches hard and would knock down Foreman if the fight lasted for more than 6 rounds.