Back To The 70's

Bro:

I think I know this song about a cartoon series starring Dog Characters... good show!

Arnie Barkley is the head of the Barkley house. Agnes Barkely... is his devoted and loving spouse! They've got kids, Terry, Roger and Chester, too.... And all of them are Barkleys, through and through.

And they're the Barkleys and they're ok. ( I forgot last line.. hehe!)"

right across arcegas was a "slot" car track?  do you remember the name?

every saturday morning, on channel 7, uncle bob had a show featuring the latest in toys that were sold in his toy store, panacraft(?)

whoever remembers this tune of a cartoon series, just continue it....

"Arnie Barkley is the head of the Barkley house.  They've got kids, Terry, Roger and Chester, too...."

Sanamagan, Arcega's had the best bikes around.  I remember the days of Sumalde, Cabangbang, and Etrata (Samson, not the other Etrata).  I dreamed of being like those guys, winning even just one stage of the Tour of Luzon.  The only place that rivalled Arcega's in terms of bikes was COD.  It also had a great bike offering.

when i used to ride a racer bike around quezon circle in the late 80s to 90s, i would get to ride in pack with maui reynante, paking rivas together with the gintong alay cycling team and professionals like rene dollosa, untalan.

yung patria bikes was in buendia going towards roxas blvd. the bike had a badge riveted to the the "headtube"

Bro:

I think I know this song about a cartoon series starring Dog Characters... good show!

Arnie Barkley is the head of the Barkley house.  Agnes Barkely... is his devoted and loving spouse! They've got kids, Terry, Roger and Chester, too.... And all of them are Barkleys, through and through.

And they're the Barkleys and they're ok. ( I forgot last line.. hehe!)"

Ang galing mo!!! Saludo ako!!! pati yung wait til your father gets home, you got it right! reading it made me smile with approval :thumbsupsmiley:

Masi bro:

Forgive my ignorance as I never really understood the gears on the racer bikes. How did they work?

On some models, they even had 2 levers....

The most advanced bike I ever had was the Easy Rider and it did not even had gears.... :(

when i used to ride a racer bike around quezon circle in the late 80s to 90s, i would get to ride in pack with maui reynante, paking rivas together with the gintong alay cycling team and professionals like rene dollosa, untalan.

yung patria bikes was in buendia going towards roxas blvd.  the bike had a badge riveted to the the "headtube"

Masi bro:

Forgive my ignorance as I never really understood the gears on the racer bikes. How did they work?

On some models, they even had 2 levers....

The most advanced bike I ever had was the Easy Rider and it did not even had gears.... :(

I started with single speed bikes with coaster brakes (i think that's what they called them. these brakes you need to to a half reverse pedal motion to engage it). then went to easy rider with 5 speed.

bike gears come in 2 defintions.. the chain wheel which is the one where there is a shaft that connects in to the pedals and the cogset or sprockets, are those bunch of gears at the rear. each combination of chain wheel and cog has a specific gear ratio that you can select depending of the ride you do. on hilly climbs or if you want to spin (85 to100 rpms) you use low gears (in racers in would be the inner chain raing which has 42 or less teeth and the 24 tooth cog at the rear). this combination gives you big torque!

on the other hand, if you are going fast or downhill you would want a high gear ration (53 tooth by 13 tooth sprocket). gear ratios are not fixed.. you can change them depending on the ride you will do... but when you buy it, they come in pretty standard sets like a 53 and 32 or 42 chain wheel and a 12 to 24 cogset. the number of speed is determined by multiplying the number of chainrings by the number of cogs in your cogset.. thus a 5speed would be 1 chainring and 5 cogs; a 10 speed , 2 chainrings and 5 cogset; 18 speed would be 2 chain rings and 9 cogset. i think the latest ones used in the tour de france is 20- speed, which has 2 chainrings and 10 cogset.

when i used to ride with the national team on their sunday rides at q.c. circle, i would often be spinning a 53 x13 gear ratio and we'd be travelling between 56 to 60 kph around the circle... this was awesome. on downhills in bugarin rizal, i would reach up to 80kph, again awesome!!!!

i hope i explained it with some clarity!!! have a good day!

I started with single speed bikes with coaster brakes (i think that's what they called them.  these brakes you need to to a half reverse pedal motion to engage it).  then went to easy rider with 5 speed.

bike gears come in 2 defintions.. the chain wheel which is the one where there is a shaft that connects in to the pedals and the cogset or sprockets, are those bunch of gears at the rear.  each combination of chain wheel and cog has a specific gear ratio that you can select depending of the ride you do.  on hilly climbs or if you want to spin (85 to100 rpms) you use low gears (in racers in would be the inner chain raing which has 42 or less teeth and the 24 tooth cog at the rear).  this combination gives you big torque!

on the other hand, if you are going fast or downhill you would want a high gear ration (53 tooth by 13 tooth sprocket).  gear ratios are not fixed.. you can change them depending on the ride you will do... but when you buy it, they come in pretty standard sets like a 53 and 32 or 42 chain wheel and a 12 to 24 cogset.  the number of speed is determined by multiplying the number of chainrings by the number of cogs in your cogset.. thus a 5speed would be 1 chainring and 5 cogs; a 10 speed , 2 chainrings and 5 cogset; 18 speed would be 2 chain rings and 9 cogset.  i think the latest ones used in the tour de france is 20- speed, which has  2 chainrings and 10 cogset.

when i used to ride with the national team on their sunday rides at q.c. circle, i would often be spinning a 53 x13 gear ratio and we'd be travelling between 56 to 60 kph around the circle... this was awesome.  on downhills in bugarin rizal, i would reach up to 80kph, again awesome!!!!

i hope i explained it with some clarity!!!  have a good day!

pards wala talaga akong naintindihan :lol:

pero i remember what Lance Armstrong said after the last mountain stage - "A no-chain day" or something to that effect - wala daw kahirap-hirap - like riding a bike with no chain...

speaking of the Tour de France, ang unang nakagisnan ko dito si Eddy Merckx - The Cannibal!

I also remember Greg LeMond beating Bernard Hinault (?) by mere seconds on the very last day of the Tour - that was the most exciting yata that I can remember...

sa Tour of Luzon I remember listening to the exploits of Jesus Garcia and Paquito Rivas on hot summer days under the silong of our neighbor's house :P

pards wala talaga akong naintindihan :lol:

pero i remember what Lance Armstrong said after the last mountain stage - "A no-chain day" or something to that effect - wala daw kahirap-hirap - like riding a bike with no chain...

speaking of the Tour de France, ang unang nakagisnan ko dito si Eddy Merckx - The Cannibal!

I also remember Greg LeMond beating Bernard Hinault (?) by mere seconds on the very last day of the Tour - that was the most exciting yata that I can remember...

sa Tour of Luzon I remember listening to the exploits of Jesus Garcia and Paquito Rivas on hot summer days under the silong of our neighbor's house :P

that's correct si Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault were team mates. This was Lemonds debut to the Tour while Hinault was already a legend. There was also Laurent Fignon who lost the tour to Lemond by 8 seconds on the last stage of the Tour which was a time trial (marking Lemond's comeback after accidentally being shot by his brother in law, while hunting, the year before).

In the 70, the most expensive "gruppo" for racer bikes was the Campagnolo Super Record. Shimano had it's Dura-Ace but they were not rigid enough to stand the tour's punishment.

Nalala ko nung 70s na bumubuo pa ako ng bikes ay masaya na ako sa sun tour brand para sa 5 speed easy rider. Then there was a time that I got a 2nd hand campagnolo 10 speed gruppo para sa racer na binuo ko pero noon we called that cambio, plato and sprockets :D

that's correct si Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault were team mates.  This was Lemonds debut to the Tour while Hinault was already a legend.  There was also Laurent Fignon who lost the tour to Lemond by 8 seconds on the last stage of the Tour which was a time trial (marking Lemond's comeback after accidentally being shot by his brother in law, while hunting, the year before).

In the 70, the most expensive "gruppo" for racer bikes was the Campagnolo Super Record.  Shimano had it's Dura-Ace but they were not rigid enough to stand the tour's punishment.

now that you mention it, I think that was the race I was referring to - LeMond beating Fignon by seconds during the last day of the Tour, or second to the last hehehe.....can't remember na talaga.

Much like George Brett of the Kansas City Royals winning the American League batting title on the last game of the season - where he had to have 4 0r 5 hits to win it. I can't recall whom he beat and what year it was....

wow pare - kulang na ko talaga sa alak. I can't remember things :P

Curfew nung Martial Law. I remember tadtad ng

checkpoints sa lahat ng lugar, wala pa yatang

Metro Manila noon. May curfew pass kami kasi

newspaperman ang father ko sa Times Journal,

crony paper ni Kokoy Romualdez.

The present Metro Manila was then called the Greater Manila Area. I also remember riding with friends during the curfew hours. Palibhasa colonel yung tatay ng isa at siya pa ang nag-drive. Everywhere we went, grabe. Quiet and unmoving. The Greater Manila Area really went to sleep during those times, every night from 12 mn to 4:00 a.m.

Curfew nung Martial Law. I remember tadtad ng

checkpoints sa lahat ng lugar, wala pa yatang

Metro Manila noon. May curfew pass kami kasi

newspaperman ang father ko sa Times Journal,

crony paper ni Kokoy Romualdez.

I think it was still called Greater Manila Area.....

tama ka dyan sa mga dami ng checkpoints.....there was the dreaded ASSO - Arrest, Search and Seizure Order....Daily Express was the other paper then..........

That's a darn good explanation.

I never knew about the way they classified it as 5 and 10 speeds.

Sigh... Now I know I'll stick to golf! Fore!

Thanks bro!

:D

I started with single speed bikes with coaster brakes (i think that's what they called them.  these brakes you need to to a half reverse pedal motion to engage it).  then went to easy rider with 5 speed.

bike gears come in 2 defintions.. the chain wheel which is the one where there is a shaft that connects in to the pedals and the cogset or sprockets, are those bunch of gears at the rear.  each combination of chain wheel and cog has a specific gear ratio that you can select depending of the ride you do.  on hilly climbs or if you want to spin (85 to100 rpms) you use low gears (in racers in would be the inner chain raing which has 42 or less teeth and the 24 tooth cog at the rear).  this combination gives you big torque!

on the other hand, if you are going fast or downhill you would want a high gear ration (53 tooth by 13 tooth sprocket).  gear ratios are not fixed.. you can change them depending on the ride you will do... but when you buy it, they come in pretty standard sets like a 53 and 32 or 42 chain wheel and a 12 to 24 cogset.  the number of speed is determined by multiplying the number of chainrings by the number of cogs in your cogset.. thus a 5speed would be 1 chainring and 5 cogs; a 10 speed , 2 chainrings and 5 cogset; 18 speed would be 2 chain rings and 9 cogset.  i think the latest ones used in the tour de france is 20- speed, which has  2 chainrings and 10 cogset.

when i used to ride with the national team on their sunday rides at q.c. circle, i would often be spinning a 53 x13 gear ratio and we'd be travelling between 56 to 60 kph around the circle... this was awesome.  on downhills in bugarin rizal, i would reach up to 80kph, again awesome!!!!

i hope i explained it with some clarity!!!  have a good day!

The present Metro Manila was then called the Greater Manila Area.  I also remember riding with friends during the curfew hours.  Palibhasa colonel yung tatay ng isa at siya pa ang nag-drive.  Everywhere we went, grabe.  Quiet and unmoving.  The Greater Manila Area really went to sleep during those times, every night from 12 mn to 4:00 a.m.

and then there was the dreaded METROCOM!!!! that sends chills and fear even to the tough guys!

Welcome to the thread flyingdutchman.

Si Bathala hindi yata dumating sa eb ng 36+. I left at 9pm and he's not yet there. Wala yung pasimuno ng eb. Tinatawagan pero cannot be reach yung cel :D

Namigay si Bonjing ng MP3 ng 60-70s music and jazz. Thanks pare. Post ka rin dito.

Meron pa ring Manila Bulletin noon. Ang nasibak ay ang Mania Times at Taliba ng mga Roces pati ang Manila Chronicle ng mga Lopez. :(

Dahil sa curfew, nauso ang stay-in typars. Maraming happenings kapag stay-in :evil:

My best 70's memories was going to "BIRDS OF THE SAME FEATHER' Jazz bar in Tomas Morato (near Gas station) watching RICHARD MERCK scat and doing covers of AL JARREU In 1979. I can't forget that because On that night I played AMUYONG "Chaperone" to my then College cousin (I was in grade 7 then) who ELOPED on that night... Damay !!!!!! Bad trip.

Si Bathala hindi yata dumating sa eb ng 36+. I left at 9pm and he's not yet there. Wala yung pasimuno ng eb. Tinatawagan pero cannot be reach yung cel :D

Namigay si Bonjing ng MP3 ng 60-70s music and jazz. Thanks pare. Post ka rin dito.

Meron pa ring Manila Bulletin noon. Ang nasibak ay ang Mania Times at Taliba ng mga Roces pati ang Manila Chronicle ng mga Lopez. :(

Dahil sa curfew, nauso ang stay-in typars. Maraming happenings kapag stay-in :evil:

Thanks Storm. Great to talk about the old days with you guys.

di ba one of the hard hitting newspapers that time was the "Daily Express", yung offices nila, malapit sa pier?

di ba one of the hard hitting newspapers that time was the "Daily Express", yung offices nila, malapit sa pier?

I'm not sure about it being on of the 'hard-hitting' papers.

Yung natira kasing tatlo, Manila Bulletin,Times Journal,and the

Daily Express were only allowed to operate under the

watchful eyes of the Marcos boys. Siguro minsan

binibigyan ng leeway para di naman masyadong

matatakan.