Dog Lovers Thread

mr_7thsign

• 2 weeks later...
i'm looking for a cute dog as a gift for a nine year old girl, any recommendations?

Let's us understand that owning a dog is having a responsibility.. from feeding, daily exercise, training (house or potty.. not to mention if she wants tricks or obedience exericses) and other stuff to be a responsible dog owner..

at any rate, choosing a dog suitable to any individual should take note of the following:

1. do you have space? where do you live, type of house, have a garden etc..

2. do you have the time? how much do you have for your dog..

3. what is your resources? breeding is not a business and let me tell you, you won't make money on this..

-- if you have space problem.. then a toy dog is a logical choice. A small breed suitable on a small carrier should fit in to it... A GSD, Dob, Dalmatian, Collie etc needs a lot of space so that they could consume all those energy... these dogs are very active..

-- if you don't have a time.. then get other pets that does not need daily interaction... a dog irregardless of the breed needs attention everyday... you need to walk them, feed them and interact with them... or you'll see a lot chewing in your house.. remember -- dog is a pack animal.

-- there are dogs who are considered as high maintenance... a pug for instance maybe cute but a highly maintenance dog... shitshu is also quite heavy on maintainance..

lastly, if I may further suggest.. transact only to responsible breeders who knows their breed. Caution, there are a lot of backyard breeders out there who simply bought a female dog and have it stud... Yes, the output may be a purebreed with papers etc... but if breeding is not carefully studied then you're not getting quality pups... breeding is understanding and development of the breed. If you need so, I maybe able to help you finding the right breeder for your needs..

I'm a GSD man, though I have some Malinois on board but I not sure if she's ready to handle such breed... all of my dogs are kid friendly ... they've been given socialization to handle such stress in meeting people yet alert ... our dogs are not aggressive yet has a good protective instinct -- and YES, they will bite.

goodluck and hope you'll find a quality dog suitable for her..

Guest Insomnia Girl

Hiya, dog lovers!

I have some doggie questions.

1. Are beagles easily trained? Are they prone to any diseases?

2. Is it hard to take of a Shar Pei or a Chow? Do these dogs have special needs?

I thought I'd get firsthand information. Sometimes resource materials don't tell you everything.

Cheerio!

Woof! Woof!

Long live canines!

:D

Hiya, dog lovers!

I have some doggie questions.

1. Are beagles easily trained? Are they prone to any diseases?

2. Is it hard to take of a Shar Pei or a Chow? Do these dogs have special needs?

I thought I'd get firsthand information. Sometimes resource materials don't tell you everything.

Cheerio!

Woof! Woof!

Long live canines!

i'm not familiar with beagles but in my experience all dogs are trainable.. secret is bonding & communication.

for item 2.. sharpei & chowchow needs regular grooming more than other breed due to its coat.. but don't be misled by their huggable appearance 'due to ancestral traits of these breed... they are not tolerant compared to the herding breed.. sharpei & chowchow needs to be properly socialize ... but they're indeed loyal & a good watch dog

Guest Insomnia Girl

Shark!

Thanks for the info.

I knew that the shar pei was bread to be a fighting dog ages ago. But I didn't know that the Chow Chow was also bred for such a purpose. Thanks again.

I just love dogs.

ey this is a nice thread. I own 2 german shepherds but I'm only a beginner when it comes to training them and growing them.

I hope you could help me find useful links.

Btw, great tips shark  :)

GSD is a herding breed, active and intelligent. you'll find a lot of link about GSD in the internet, just do the search... or post your question & perhaps I could share a bit.. remember, GSD needs space & daily exercise... try to make them run by playing retrieve or some tags...

Shark!

Thanks for the info.

I knew that the shar pei was bread to be a fighting dog ages ago. But I didn't know that the Chow Chow was also bred for such a purpose. Thanks again.

I just love dogs.

as far i knw, chowchow was intended to be a delicacy... it is considered as food.. perhaps the reason it get the name chowchow. it is this concept why the breed is somewhat genetically agressive to human, there survival instinct was passed down from genera

tion to generation.... only in the early 1900s where chowchow was bred for conformation and as a pet..

i dnt have much knowledge about chowchow breed... what I knw is chowchow needs to be regularly groom & properly socialized....

• 3 weeks later...