Laptop/Notebook Owners

• 4 weeks later...

I bought an (ACER) EMachines D725 a year ago.

Intel Dual-Core T4200 @ 2GHz

Intel GMA 4500MHD video adapter

4GB dual-channel DDR2-800 (upgraded from 2GB single-channel)

320GB HDD (upgraded from 160GB)

Battery life: 4+ hours (Multiple instances of MSOffice programs with wifi receiver turned-off)

I urgently needed a utilitarian and no-frills laptop for my presentations, word-processing, and web-browsing needs that time. I didnt want anything expensive or fancy (since these become obsolete anyway in a mere 3-4 years and i have no use for the added ports). Something that's low-profile and doesn't scream "Hey mister mugger i have a very expensive and shiny laptop you can steal!". I was actually considering a lenovo netbook because of portability issues but i was turned-off by the fact that they dont come with built-in optical drives. At first i was skeptical since i knew EMachine's reputation in the US before being bought by Gateway and then ACER. So far it has been serving me well. No problems encountered. It's fast enough for what i use it for and has good battery life. Great bang for the buck!

Edited by friedkamote
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an MSI GX620 laptop. It works great, no complaints for me so far. However just earlier today, may nabali na plastic part dun sa portion na nag-fofold. May crack na ngayon yung left edge ng screen/monitor (not the screen itself). I'm just wondering kung naaayos pa ito and if ever, saan puede ipa-ayos. Ngayon kasi pag finold mo yung screen, parang mas lalong lumaki yung crack and masira pa lalo. So hindi ko ma-fold ngayon ang laptop ko. Please help!

eMachines D720

• Windows 7 - 64bit
  • Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T3200
  • 2.0GHz, 1Mb L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB
  • Mobile Intel® GL40 Express Chipset
  • 4.0Gb DDR2-667 (upgraded)
  • 14.1in. WXGA TFT LCD
  • 160 GB SATA 5400rpm
  • Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

-- been using this ever since January, 2009. Battery is still at good condition, and basically everything is still working as it should.

One of these days, will try to open the laptop though, and try to clean the insides, baka madumi na ang loob kasi minsan namamatay mag-isa pag sobrang init ng panahon.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this MSI EX460 last month.

I was hunting for a Laptop with the specs I wanted and would suit my needs. I'd have bought a desktop PC but was afraid of the electric bills it would provide me with plus i didn't have enough space for a Desktop PC.

The first candidates was a Dell (with a free Deskjet Printer and an Acer (with a free low-end Samsung Phone). I was bent on getting the Acer against my will (I have developed lack of trust with Acer due to the defects in the casings of its earlier models. Around Year 2000, their laptops' casings would crack by itself even if you're really careful in handling them. I'd say cheap materials for over-priced laptops. They countered this by changing the material they use but I couldn't easily remove my distrust.) because it had slightly better specs than the Dell.

The problem was that I was short of money and had to go to the nearest ATM Machine. They pointed me out on the wrong direction. Thus, I was able to stumble upon the demo units of MSI. I examined the specs and they were better than the earlier choices. But I only got a 500 peso discount and a free mouse.

It was worth every penny and more. I haven't handled any laptop like this which I could tame to my exact likings. Plus, its quite durable. I've accidentally dropped it once but there was barely a scratch and there wasn't any decrease in functionality and performance.

Pagkapulot ko, tuloy pa rin ako sa ginagawa ko.

I'd say I got more than what I bargained for. Sinubukan kong kunan ng pics at nun ko lang napansin na napaka photogenic pala nung laptop na yon. Hehehe.

But for you, Saer Butchocoi, I'd recommend a netbook with a port for the projector. I rememeber the saleslady telling me they had an MSI Netbook selling for only 15K.

The only drawback is that it doesn't have an optical drive. But that can easily be countered by buying an external DVD R/W Drive. I think CD-R King carries one of those which comes in a surprisingly pleasant price tag.

Another alternative would be NEO. The "Basic" Series come with very friendly price tags but could be considered an eyesore if compared side by side with higher priced brands. If you only want functionality and are willing to sacrifice beauty, NEO is the way to be. may Netbook din yata sila. Kaso lang, kung 15K or more din naman ang price tag, I suggest you go for the 15K MSI Netbook I mentioned earlier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's a good laptop/notebook that you could recommend? I'm a teacher kasi and most of the time, I need one for slideshows and web browsing in school since may wi-fi. Yung bang for the buck. :D

I guess you're not a power-user. Any netbook from a reputable brand will do you good (they're very portable too). Some go for less than 20K. Majority have no optical drives though.

I currently have a HP DV6T. It's 9 months old.

HP Pavilion dv6t Entertainment Quad Edit

• Moonlight White

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• Intel® Core i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)

• 50% OFF!! 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

• 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

• 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M

• 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)

• LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support

• Webcam + Fingerprint Reader

• Intel Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth

• No TV Tuner w/remote control

• HP Color Matching Keyboard

• HP Long Life Notebook Battery

• No Modem

• Microsoft® Works 9.0

• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Here's the one i just got but is currently being shipped. You won't believe how much I paid for this. I'll post a pic once i get it.

Product: US-VPCZ1290X-LBOM

Component: Standard Capacity Battery

Component: No Fresh Start

Component: Adobe Bundle ($448 value)

Component: 6GB (4GBx1 + 2GBx1) DDR3-SDRAM-1066 (Reg. price $150.00)

Component: Nvidia 330m

Component: Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter

Component: No Mobile Broadband Built-In

Component: Norton Internet Security™ 2010 (30 Day Trial)

Component: CD/DVD Player/Burner

Component: No Engraving

Component: Intel® Core™ i7-620M processor (2.66GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.33GHz (Reg. price $150.00)

Component: 13.1" VAIO Full HD Premium Display (1920x1080)

Component: Premium Carbon Fiber

Component: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Component: 256GB (128GBx2) Solid State Drive with RAID 0 Technology (Reg. price $300.00)