Laptop/Notebook Owners

hello mga bro, good evening. medyo matagal ng hindi ako nakavisit dito after my desktop crashed last year.

ang laptop ko compaq presario V5201US. nakuha ko sya as refurbished unit from the states. medyo may small scratch sa exterior ng laptop pero ok naman and performance nya. syempre, naghahanap din ako ng affordable but reliable laptop. sobrang mahal kasi ng mga laptops dito puro taga ang price eh. kung di naman kayo maselan at may relatives kayo sa states maybe you can ask them to buy you a refurbished one that suits your needs. ako naman eh basic lang pang internet surf at email lang.

eto pala specs:

AMD Sempron 3300+, 2.0 Ghz

windows xp home, vista capable

512mb memory, expandable to 2.0 gig

80g hard disk drive

widescreen 15.4 inches brightview display

weigh around 6.4 pds or 2.9 kilos

2 USB Ports

dvd writer double layer

altec lansing speakers

infrared port

wifi ready

ATI radeon Xpress 200M graphics

sana nakatulong ako. more power to the community.and makakilala man lang ng magandang girl dito. :cool:

pm me na lang.

Mga bros. Sana may makatulong. I'm going to the USA this april. and i'm bringing my HP Centrino Laptop. masisita ba ako ng mga kanuto kung pirated Windows OS

ang nakakabit dito? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

No worries. wala naman magi-inspect ng content ng laptop mo eh and they dont care about it as long as hindi M$ agents ang sisilip.

advice ko lang pag nag travel ka by plane city to city within the US eh pag checkin mo kelangan voluntary mo ilabas yang laptop mo from its case or bag pag pinadaan sa xray otherwise papadaanin yan sa chemical test at patatayuin ka sa tabi na parang hinuhuli... hehehe

pero kung gusto mo makasiguro, install ka ng 2nd OS nya na linux para kahit pabuksan (which i doubt) eh hindi M$ 0$ ang makikita nila.

you got the warning because you had windows update run live. if you are aware that you are using a bootleg copy of windows, my advise is never run auto update or never let those updates connect to internet. there are updates that you can run offline without having windows run the genuine validation tool.

hi,

i don't think they'd check on your OS. here's the catch though. it didn't take 48 hours for me to be online before bill gates' henchmen caught up with me. here's the details... as soon as i landed, i went online. there wasn't any trouble. on my next boot up, my OS already had that "you are not using genuing microsft windows on your system" ID (well, something like that). so i guess they have better trackers there or whatever (i'm not a techie, so please pardon me for my lack of jargonese).

the solution? good thing my grandma was about to buy a desktop. she was eyeing this bottom-level dell at circuit city. it cost something like 200usd, but already came with a licensed windows home xp. i ptiched in the money i was to use for a license and grandma bought the desktop. i used her license during my stay. (of course i had to re-install windows using my grandma's key code; in effect, there were two pcs at home using one license) after i had done that, the rest of my stay was uneventful, at least with the microsoft police.

hope this helps.

you got the warning because you had windows update run live. if you are aware that you are using a bootleg copy of windows, my advise is never run auto update or never let those updates connect to internet. there are updates that you can run offline without having windows run the genuine validation tool.

yeah. i agree. i've been spending too much time in hong kong and shenzhen (china is amazing. i never had to worry about this there) that i never bothered to turn the updates off. until amerikkka that is. oh well. no worries now though. thanks to grandma.

just so i won't be OT, i'm not a techie and my needs are very minimal.

i use an acer aspire 5003wlmi maxed out to 2gb of ram. otherwise, it's all stock. this machine has been more of a performer that i didnt know could perform.

I've looked around for lower priced laptops available and these are what i saw:

Asus A6R (around 34k)

- Intel Celeron M

- 60 GB hd

- 1.6 Ghz

- 256 MB mem

Acer 2441 (around 35k)

- Intel Celeron M

- 60 GB hd

- 1.6 Ghz

- 256 MB mem

Asus A9RP (around 34k)

- Intel Celeron M

- 60 GB hd

- 1.8 Ghz

- 256 MB mem

-Multiple Card Reader: SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO

Neo Endura 320SL (25k)

- Intel Celeron M

- 40 GB hd

- 1.3 Ghz

- 256 MB mem

Neo Empriva 330 SXEi (27k)

- Intel Celeron M

- 40 GB hd

- 1.3 Ghz

- 256 MB mem

Blue Argon - S (30k)

- Intel Pentium

- 40 GB hd

- 1.6 Ghz

- 256 MB mem

Neo Endura 505 GL (31k)

- Intel Centrino M

- 40 GB hd

- 1.6 Ghz

- 256 MB mem

Mas inclined ako towards Asus and Acer but I donn't know which one is better or if the two are relatively similar to the others in the list.

I'd really appreciate your help..

my sony vaio notebook just arrived this afternoon and so far, i'm still trying to explore/maximize its features. it's already equipped with windows vista, so it's another thing that i'm trying to learn and appreciate.

so far, this is what made me choose my VGN-FE880E/H:

Processor

Type: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5500

Speed: 1.66GHz

Memory

Type: DDR2

Installed: 2GB (1GBx2) PC2-5300

Maximum: 2GB

Speed: 667MHz

Hard Drive

Capacity: 160GB

Speed: 4200rpm

and for somebody in the creative world, i would need this-- the Sony DVD Creation that enables me to edit and burn customized DVDs with Click to DVD® software and an integrated DVD+R Double Layer/DVD±RW drive2.

hi,

i don't think they'd check on your OS. here's the catch though. it didn't take 48 hours for me to be online before bill gates' henchmen caught up with me. here's the details... as soon as i landed, i went online. there wasn't any trouble. on my next boot up, my OS already had that "you are not using genuing microsft windows on your system" ID (well, something like that). so i guess they have better trackers there or whatever (i'm not a techie, so please pardon me for my lack of jargonese).

How did they actually catch you? I assume you were mobile so did they find you? What exactly happened? Nakakapraning naman!

Anyway, when I buy a laptop in a regular establishment and the Windows OS is pre-installed, can I assume that it is legal? Pag nagka-leche-leche, sino ang may sala?

Salamat in advance!

You don't have anything to worry about if you buy your laptop at a reputable establishment. They are "Legit" alright.

But, if you really want to be sure, you can check out the sticker attached at the bottom side of the laptop - this attests to the fact that your OS is indeed "genuine". :zorro:

Thank you so much!

I am using a sony vaio and an acer travelmate. medyo mabigat but sufficient for my needs at work.

hi,

the solution? good thing my grandma was about to buy a desktop. she was eyeing this bottom-level dell at circuit city. it cost something like 200usd, but already came with a licensed windows home xp. i ptiched in the money i was to use for a license and grandma bought the desktop. i used her license during my stay. (of course i had to re-install windows using my grandma's key code; in effect, there were two pcs at home using one license) after i had done that, the rest of my stay was uneventful, at least with the microsoft police.

hope this helps.

u probably installed an update.. its not that microsoft was good at tracking u down.. all windows, if auto update is on, will automatically download this update.. u didnt have to reinstall.. there is a work around for this.. i had it twice, tweaked a couple of files, now its gone..

TOSHIBA intel celeron 512MB 80 GB HD used it for 1-1/2 years

HP dv6140us pavilion Entertainment PC

just got it last 1/27 at staples

AMDTurion 64 X2 mobile tech TL-56

512+512 L2 cache 1.8GHz

15.4 WXGA HO Wide Screen

120 GB HD

lightscribe super multi 8x dvdrw double layer support

5 in 1 DMR

nVidia GeForce Go 6150 vg

1.3 built-in webcam

windows vista

wats a good dell model? m planning to purchase my 1st notebook in hk, can any1 recommend a place to buy? thanks :flowers:

It depends on your need. do you prefer a smaller screen (12.1" WXGA) or the regular (15.1")? Do you have a DELL shop in HK? I bought mine in ebay. Go for Centrino duo for the processor then if your short on budget get the basic hdd and ram. You later upgrade this on your own.